Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #19 - SEPTEMBER

Replies

• Aitnar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog - Lookin' good man. I didn't realize how skinny the legs were from the side and front views. it's not too late to fatten up the top area, is it?
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    Things are shaping up nicely around here.

Im going to be working on a collab with Square on this bat. Might as well join the fun.

ss2014-09-02at0608571.jpg
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I want to make a weapon for Luna. I'm worried the top two look too much like weapons for other heroes like vengeful spirit, but I want to do something full-moon themed. What do you guys think?
    nd2u1oQ.jpg?1?5027
    nd2u1oQ
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Aitnar, I'll try them thicker on the inside. Not too much detail or anything there anyway.

Stu... NOOOOOOOOO. :) Was hoping no one would grab that concept, he's pretty cool. Looking forward to it.

Tectonic, Definitely not her standard weapon shape but i don't see why it couldn't work. The weapon alone won't confuse players as to who is on the battlefield. And a strong lunar theme would fit here well.
    I think I like the top right the best, but maybe just make the blade all one thickness (like the left one). I like the handle and thinner crescent of the right one best though.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Thought I'd get a mood board together for my Luna mount. Really gonna push the panther top left. I might put some green into it too just to see how it looks.

tumblr_nbu0xuiJEh1rwocuuo1_500.jpg

Everyone seems to be going ok for now. Keep going!

@Tectonic IMO, I'm not liking the silhouette. Considering that her weapon is a throwing blade, I'd put some more thought into it. Make sure the handle is in the center as the weapon rotates when it bounces between enemies.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Latest update:

ftysuo2.png

1.I'll add some teeth later
    2.any thoughts on how I can differentiate the lion from hippo?(except from using color later on)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent a bit of time re-working the legs. They don't look too different but I had stopped referencing the bones and was just going by the original mounts outer leg shape. Ended up my joints were kind of far from the joints. Adjusted them all to be much closer. No pics though.

@Reza,

This is the best pic I found. I think your back feet should be thicker/stumpier. You could really work the skin flaps from the chest to the back leg a lot and really give it a rhino feel.
    At the moment he just seems a bit pudgy. But the rhino skin flaps will give that area more of an armored feel.

maybe the tail would look better kind of like a rhinos but with the lion furball at the end. It just seems to have a really sharp/hard edge/ contrast to the rest of the model atm.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    very good points, thank u
    about the tail, I want it to be more special and also since the crocodile face is covered, I thought I could show the crocodile at the tail
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    There was so much discussion about the theme of this month that I thought we will have like 20-30 people joining. now it's only 4-5 people with some progress :(
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh whoops, forgot to link that image:

Indian_Rhino_(Rhinoceros_unicornis)1_-_Relic38.jpg

And how to get my signature to work? :(

yeah it seemed more interest earlier on. That's part of the reason I was pushing for items not just mounts. Just to try and keep more people interested. Though I didn't really expect more than 10 or so, that seems to be about the standard amount.
  • Toyoka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    I may join in on this month's competition, seems like a fun exercise and I've been on a roll recently with modeling. I'm thinking of doing something for Chen or Batrider (going for a lesser-played/less-popular hero)!

Baddcog wrote: »

yeah it seemed more interest earlier on. That's part of the reason I was pushing for items not just mounts. Just to try and keep more people interested. Though I didn't really expect more than 10 or so, that seems to be about the standard amount.

try [ url=http://steamcommunity.com/id/Voodoo_Daddy/myworkshopfiles] Steam Workshop[ /url] (remove the spaces after "[" on both ends) :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :D thnx

Hope to see something
  • Pragmatic Fox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on this for some time. I'm not really happy with how it's looking at the moment though. I based most of the facial structure off of a snow leopard. Any suggestions?

BxclLz8CcAAj_ec.png:large
  • tja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tja polycounter lvl 3
    I've been working on this for some time. I'm not really happy with how it's looking at the moment though. I based most of the facial structure off of a snow leopard. Any suggestions?

What does it look like in game? Isometric and loadout?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    StuBurrito wrote: »
    @gamedivisionuk - Unfortunately, scaling bones hardly ever works! Either stick with the originals or you'll have to make your own.
    yep, he is right, normally it explodes the model in source =]
    Vohla wrote: »
    Tvidotto, I was really interested in some of your previous work, especially the KotL concepts for headpieces. You said one looked vaguely like King Triton and that sparked an idea. King Triton is based off Poseidon, God of the Sea, who created the first horse.

Most of KotL mounts are just straight up horses, what if someone was to do a mount based on the Water Kelpie of Scottish lore? I think it could make a really interesting water based mount for KotL. Keeper does make a wave of light after all...

going out of the default is really good but also risky. a good example is te mount from Airborn studios, the stag one, that is a great idea and really fits the character

i like the aquatic idea but i think you should keep it subtle

I think I can point some parts since you said you are not happy with it

3d8a3ddce7.jpg

1 - the silhouette contrast is missing there, you have an straight line from the back to the pawn, Having some interesting silhouette is really important to make your character visible at distance

2 - that part on your mesh looks a lot compressed on the uvs and i also dont see enought edge loops for the nec and head rotation

3 - it is better if you showcase your model from an higher angle, something similar to the ingame view, that is by far the most important angle

4 - the silhouette on the neck fur looks too straight, how does that looks in other angles?

I hope that helped =]
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Baddcog wrote: »

Indian_Rhino_(Rhinoceros_unicornis)1_-_Relic38.jpg

well that's a rhino. it's supposed to be a hippopotamus

Hippopotamus_-_04.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Sketchy for Luna mount

tumblr_nbw31eVLl71rwocuuo1_500.jpg
  • tja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tja polycounter lvl 3
    Is it necessary to make an LOD0 for Batrider? His mount doesnt appear in his portrait, so Im not sure, given that valve states taht the LOD0 only appears in the portrait.

Does LOD0 appear in game too?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lod0 appears in hero view when player zooms in. Not required but players might complain. Also appears in the preview windows in game.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza wrote: »
    well that's a rhino. it's supposed to be a hippopotamus

Whoops, my bad. I thought i read someone said rhino. Are you opposed to doing rhino instead? I think it has more interesting detail back there.
  • Pragmatic Fox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished up the texturing and fixed up a couple of problems. I think it looks slightly better, but i'm still unsure about it. I haven't quite finished the texturing and should be testing the mount in Dota by next week. the seam in the head seems to be a floating point error.

[SKETCHFAB]2622852b3a984a4f895b41f85809337e[/SKETCHFAB]

edit:
    here is the high poly sculpt of the model if anyone is interested
    [SKETCHFAB]c4332cdfc0154e3d8ff310f11503837c[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    f9VKOTa.png
    BzzjjKC.png

Those legs are still the bane of my existance, but for now I'll leave them. Maybe sculpt out a few corrections if things start looking odd.

Speaking of sculpting, would a furry body fit the theme of this little lizard, or should I try and get scales going somehow?
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    @Markovnikov one commend I have for you is when making a bat for batrider, make sure to focus on making nice wings, the rest of the mount isn't that visible ingame. the head is important for item preview but the body isn't that important.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Reza: Oh, I know, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    And BTW be careful while designing the wings too, they deform heavily in game

This is a mount on was working on before:
    314zcwh.jpg

and this is what happened when I imported it:

omzUTNW.png

:)
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fired up zbrush today and did some sculpting on the teeth. Tried bigger teeth and a bit shorter mouth. What do you think? On the right way here or way off?
    E13vtsv.png
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Paskie: I like the way the teeth have come out, although I am a tad concerned they might not show up properly in game because of, well, distance.

Also, they still look like they're part of the jaw; more like jagged extrusions of flesh than teeth. Maybe a little bit of an edge where the tooth meets the jaw?
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Paskie wrote: »
    Fired up zbrush today and did some sculpting on the teeth. Tried bigger teeth and a bit shorter mouth. What do you think? On the right way here or way off?
    E13vtsv.png

I would definitely make the teeth as separated subtools, there are a lof of benefits in doing that in all the steps.
  • Pragmatic Fox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f9VKOTa.png
    BzzjjKC.png

Those legs are still the bane of my existance, but for now I'll leave them. Maybe sculpt out a few corrections if things start looking odd.

Speaking of sculpting, would a furry body fit the theme of this little lizard, or should I try and get scales going somehow?

your going to have a lot of problems weighting those back legs if they are all pulled in like that when you attempt to attach it to the rig. you have the leg split up into 3 equal sections which is an odd proportion to use for a leg structure.

Chiroptera_-_Zoological_Museum_(Li%C3%A8ge).png

cheval_7_pattes_b.jpg
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pragmatic Fox: Its already well away from the actual rig. they're probably jsut going to hang there.
  • Pragmatic Fox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pragmatic Fox: Its already well away from the actual rig. they're probably jsut going to hang there.

does the back legs for bat rider have any rigging? I would presume that you might have problems with the textures stretching and generally problems with rigging the leg. It might not matter that much given that its a low poly model.

I would guess that retopolgy might be hard to do with the way the legs are bent, but i'm using blender. Blender doesn't have a lot of strong tools for re-topology beyond sticking vertices to the surface of the mesh.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does the back legs for bat rider have any rigging? I would presume that you might have problems with the textures stretching and generally problems with rigging the leg. It might not matter that much given that its a low poly model.

I would guess that retopolgy might be hard to do with the way the legs are bent, but i'm using blender. Blender doesn't have a lot of strong tools for re-topology beyond sticking vertices to the surface of the mesh.

The back legs normally have rigging, yes. However, the bones are pretty much perpendicular to what I have, and I can just remove those bones so the legs aren't weighted to them.

Also; I'm using blender myself.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cZOTM0m.png
    Almost finished facial sculpt, I just need to add some leathery texture to the bits without scales. Without teeth he looks kind of cute.

fkcZwST.png
    I am concerned I may have made his biceps a tad too large. I guess Toothless here lifts.

Still got a lot of cleanup on the scales, and detail to add to nails/horns, but otherwise I think the sculpt is almost finished.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pragmatic Fox,
    Looks pretty good overall but a few things I think you could touch up. Depends somewhat on how your model lines up with the original.

The neck seems pretty long, is the originals that long? Either the head is just too far out or the front shoulders could be bigger/more forward or both.

The fur on the neck could be pulled out some imo to have more shape volume.

@Paskie,

The length of the nose is fine, teeth look cool but a bit more dragon like. Depends if you want them behind lips or not I guess.

Can you rotate the head up, Keep the nose inside the harness?

@Markovnikov,
    I'd suggest some iguana references for the head scales and back legs.
    PortraitOfAnIguana.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbhNJtRZfCHb7ETrHLS9RO36BpAZthRHklTj-0zbNx55jAyZ15

Make them a bit skinny, and the whole last section could be feet toes. The
    thumb claw' doesn't really fit imo.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cRacgWG.png

Better?

Also, for the facial scales; I'm jsut a tad concerned they might become little more than noise if I go too small.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that looks better. Yeah don't go too small, but especially the 'lips' are the ones you need.
  • Pragmatic Fox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog
    Yep, the neck is that long on the rig. I really can't change that. I could try mess around with the shoulder a bit though.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tY8bprw.png

Okay, so, I did attempt to sculpt the face scales, but there aren't enough vertices there to make them neat enough for my tastes, so rather than crash my blender adding more and more layers, I'll try and pull some tricks in the colour maps.

Meanwhile, trying out a teeth arangement. Looks pretty vicious, but I'm not sure about it.
  • neupher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been sculpting away on my high poly model for the past few days. Any thoughts before I call it done?
    At the start I was little worried about the strength and "scaliness" of the stylized fur but I decided to keep at it till I see it more finished. A nice color layout should tie it together better, and with some map control hopefully make sure it doesn't get too busy.

Hoping to post some color blockout ideas in couple of days.

profile_1.jpg
    Highpoly_wolf.jpg

@Baddcog
    Your mount has come along very nicely! Just looking forward to the color and seeing it running around and all :)

@Paskie
    I like the style of teeth u got there, feels really "jurassic" and gritty if u know what I mean. The size and style of the snout seem to work nicely with the armor too.
    Like Reza pointed out, you might find it easier to deal with ur subDs and the look of the teeth, if you have them as separate subtools.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    @neupher Well played sir! :D
    The only thing I'd suggest u to be careful about those very small furs (mostly on leg areas) they will sort of reduce the model quality in game as they appear not so well.

Now and then I spend sometime on this baby ammit :)
    Now I'm polypainting and enhancing the tail :)
    what matcap do you suggest for polypaint?

MElSUFS.png
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neupher: Loving the wolf! though, I have to agree with Reza about the small fur textures; that's probably just gonna end up as noise.

@Reza: Ah, going for full chimeric colouring I see? You, uh, may need to blend the lion's mane and croc head together a bit more, it just seems kind of cut and dry atm. Looking forward to the finished product though!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neupher, yeah you could probably smooth the leg fur down a little, but looks pretty good overall.

Here's some paint. I think the dots on the tail need redone larger. There are also sculpted dots on each leg segment, not painted yet though.

Beetle_Colors.jpg
  • Pragmatic Fox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went back and redid some of the sculpt. Hopefully this looks better then the original sculpt.

BxyIOaUCUAAwCKe.jpg:large

edit: here is a progress view of the model
    I need to fix the base texture up quite a bit, but it looks like the point light map has covered for me quite well.
    [SKETCHFAB]d243f69ada164ee883b6067a54428a60[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Aitnar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, sorry for not being too active lately. I've been working a lot of hours, and i got sick on top of it. :( Everything here is looking awesome. Keep going, all of you!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pragmatic, yeah it looks pretty good!
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rqkke2F.png

Quick test scheme/Start on my least favourite part of the workshop process. A lot of shading, highlighting and neatening up to go, but here's hoping it'll be worth it in the end.
  • schnoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schnoodle polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah, I don't think this month is going to be a thing for me, I've been getting used to my new job and have been too exhausted after work to do anything at all. Hopefully next month!
  • Pragmatic Fox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how this looks.
    Bx_Yl0PCcAMMMFb.png:large

A19F196394FA2C05FF850F3A2D66539463E2A840

D18BE692C4357FDE237B27DA79C63C6B7CC5D95A

here is the released model on the steam workshop:
    item
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P0fq7p3.png

Comparison of my WIP wings to the original bat's, as well as showign the scale effect I was hoping for. Still need to do the skin and sort out some of the horn textures, but hopefully nearing completion soon!
  • Pragmatic Fox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spotted Snow Leopard by Pragmatic Fox

268x268.resizedimage