Home General Discussion

The War of Art and Powerful Motivation

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
Recent JRE podcast had Steven Pressfield author of "The War of Art" and "The Legend of Bagger Vance" http://youtu.be/4p3tN_iFHY0

"The War of Art" it echos every motivational thread posted on this forum. Steven Pressfield spent ~30 years writing and inspiring others before he even nailed his first book. All talked about in the podcast, thus so much worth this listen of pushing yourself and sticking to goals. The book and this discussion are so inspirational that it needs a closer look, and hopefully inspires us.

Replies

• Griffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Griffin polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the recommendation, definitely picking up that book. Also didn't know about JRE, great cast.
  • JamesArk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Excellent episode, never heard of Steven Pressfield but this seems quite awesome. I especially liked him talking about getting a project or two in order before he finishes his current shit in order to keep momentum going. That and the Tabata with a mouthful of water.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I have the war of Art, I read it and it had the exact opposite effect for about a month, Can't explain why, all seems right and logical on how these blocks happen while falling off on a solution to creative blocks.

but maybe the effect was a coincidence lol, good chance, but its a good book, good for better understanding creative blocks.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    This book has been super popular in the self development/pick up artist communities for a while and is on my to read list for sure! sounds super awesome.thanks for the reminder, ive got a bunch of non art projects im slowly getting off the ground and am starting to take action on.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I've read gates of fire, didn't realize it was written by a self development author.

Also, Does every joe rogan podcast topic turn into how awesome drugs are
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    LRoy wrote: »
    I've read gates of fire, didn't realize it was written by a self development author.

Also, Does every joe rogan podcast topic turn into how awesome drugs are
    Not every episode no, but drugs are pretty awesome I would likely address it the same condescending tone and rolled eyes up until about 20, And joe got into drugs late as well, we all seem to have a lot of preconceived notions of drugs unfortunately through the larger cultural brainwashing of greater society.

Hell they have some great episodes on the negative aspect of drugs, the pill clinics in florida handing out oxycontin like candy and they have had rick ross on several times he was one of the biggest coke dealers of the 80s and tied up with the CIA in the Iran contra scandal and served quite a bit of time in jail.

but hes a prominent weed and psychedelic advocate,as well as physical health, BJJ, Yoga, supplementation and comedy, so its bound to come up. in a natural flow of conversation.
  • JonathanLambert
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Funny, I was watching that podcast when I seen this thread. The War of Art is a great book but it gets a little out there towards the end.
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I got The War of Art based on it's repeated mention on the JRE podcast

It starts well, then goes wishy-washy as it goes on. I couldn't finish it because of the strange, kind-of-religious irk factor.