Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #20 - OCTOBER

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
vhv3ChU.jpg
Welcome to our Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #20

This month we some good changes. Marmoset is sponsoring us for this month with some great prizes. Some guys from polycount are also planning on giving dota 2 items, so maybe the prizepool will be increased during the month.

The theme will be:
HEAD SLOT for the DIRE heroes
and a SECONDARY theme:
Helloween head slot for Dire or Radiant ( this one we cannot split in 2 months )

* Items based on the heroes like Huds, Couriers or Wards will also be accepted, but they will not compete for the trophy to keep the competition even for everyone

The competition

the idea of the competition is to create items in a friendly environment and with the feedback of the other participants to get the best result possible.

It is mandatory to post the work in progress, or else the submition will not be accepted!

Prizes

We will announce the 5 best items in the end of the month based on the decision of the judges. The first place will also be winning a mini Greentooth trophy!
pc_gttroph.jpg

Marmoset Toolbag 2 Prizes

1 Toolbag license
1 $125 gift card (Newegg or Steam)

Last month winners

Mayhem's Steel by Xajai

1LbvBd2.jpg

Judges

Stephanie "Anuxinamoon" Everett
Thiago "T_Vidotto" Vidotto

Brent "Bounch FX" LaDue
Joe "Earthquake" Wilson

Getting your item displayed on the first post

*Items with images bigger then 200 px and/or missing the name of the contributor will not be accepted till fixed

Quote:
SET NAME by USERNAME

THUMBNAIL_IMG
PHP Code:

or this one for 2 creators

PHP Code:
Code:
SET NAME by USERNAME THUMBNAIL_IMG
set_name - name of your set, use equal as on the workshop
workshop_user_link - your workshop page, so people can browse your other items easily
Username - the name you think its easier to people find you, can be the one from polycount or the steam
item_link - the workshop page of your item
thumbnail_img - the image link of the thumbnail that is INSIDE your item page on the workshop (the thumbnail is the one with 200 pixels wide, you can get from your items page or add Code:
/200x200.resizedimage
to the end of the link)

**itens with larger thumbnails will not be accepted!**

Rules
  • open for teams of any size
  • it is allowed one item per hero per team/person ( two or more items for the same hero made by the same team/person will not be accepted)
  • everyone should keep posting feedback on other works, the feedback should be constructive
  • it must be submitted to the workshop before the deadline but not before the start of the competition
  • The item should be made on the month of the competition, its ok to continue one started earlier, but you should work most of it during the month
  • the deadline is the last day of the month at 23:59 (since we live in different timezones, some submitions may be accepted couple hours after the deadline)
  • From this month and the next ones, its mandatory to post the work in progress, or else the submition will not be accepted!

Tutorials/working in progress videos

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123800

Inspiring quotes

"It is absolutely insane the amount of top quality content that is being produced every single time here on Polycount. It's great to see so many cosmetics deliver not just on the technical end but also make for such great fittings in every other branch. You guys are doing an exceptional job and contests like this are only helping boost that exponentially. Brilliant stuff."

Wykrhm Reddy

"It was bloody hard picking from this list, I honestly enjoyed all of the entries. Keep up the good work guys!"

Cyborgmatt

Wow, that's really awesome. Please keep us at Valve informed so we can help draw attention to the winners, progress threads, etc.
Some advice:
Try to give some attention to heroes that are under-served so far (in terms of amount of content).
The success of sets tracks well with the popularity of the hero. (Although popularity can vary between updates and as Icefrog changes balance.)
Look for heroes that the community seems to have trouble creating content for. Good work can really open up the design landscape and help people think about the dynamic range of potential designs.
Don't forget about single items (instead of full sets). Many of the most popular items in the game are single items. Mounts and weapons make good candidates for this, but it varies by hero.
Mix up these approaches. So maybe one month you do a popular hero and another month you do a hero that has few items.

-Brandon Reinhart (Valve)

I love you guys for doing this! Dota2 is my favorite game at the moment and Polycount is my favorite community! I'm very proud to be apart of such dedicated artists and I smile every time I see some Polycount work in game

-coots7

Presentation

the presentation is a really important part on the workshop, save some time before the deadline for that. the first impression means a lot on the workshop.

If you want to fancy your presentation here is a the polycount logo over the aegis, there is no need of it to be used

http://puu.sh/1QtZy

Previous Months

SEPTEMBER
AUGUST

JULY
JUNE
MAY
APRIL
MARCH
FEBRUARY
DECEMBER
NOVEMBER
OCTOBER
SEPTEMBER
AUGUST
JULY
JUNE
MAY
APRIL
MARCH
FEBRUARY

Replies

• Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished Entries

Crown of the Myst by mihalceanu

200x200.resizedimage

Helmet of Nocturnal Liquidator by MugenMcFugen
    200x200.resizedimage

Ethereal Witch's Hat by Sylei

200x200.resizedimage

Helm of the Fallen by RNGesus.is.Love

b6UugGW.jpg

Hallowed Helm of Avernus by Markovnikov
    200x200.resizedimage

Pudgestein by danpaz3d

tumblr_ndm5thNqYT1rwocuuo4_r1_250.jpg

Helm of Fear by Hawf

200x200.resizedimage

Rocket Maniac Helm by madShock and Rocket and Andumy

D26HDLH.jpg

True Form of Chaos by Sukotto and Noblebatterfly

200x200.resizedimage

Oblivion Initiate`s Cowl by Mr. No Pie For You!

od7Qrx4.jpg?1

Grand Vizier's Turban by Elwing.V3

200x200.resizedimage

Shattered Facade by Zipfinator and BladeofAvilliva

200x200.resizedimage

JARHEAD by Uzziel

XvGpJgb.jpg

Death's Crown by Aitnar

Ktz1n1a.jpg

Entries not competing

Deep Madness by Hunter-Killer

200x200.resizedimage
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Winners of the #20 edition - October

Judges
    Stephanie "Anuxinamoon" Everett
    Thiago "T_Vidotto" Vidotto

Brent "Bounch FX" LaDue
    Joe "Earthquake" Wilson

Winner

Ethereal Witch's Hat
    by Sylei

200x200.resizedimage

2nd Place

Rocket Maniac Helm by madShock and Rocket and Andumy

D26HDLH.jpg

3rd Place

JARHEAD by Uzziel

XvGpJgb.jpg

Congrats everyone that won and entered the contest, the main idea of the contest is to help improve our skills and i hope everyone won on that subject

Prizes!

And as promised we are going to get a Greentooth trophy and the Marmoset gift card for the winner! Congrats Sylei

send me an email tvidotto@gmail.com with your address and contact info. I will forward so you can receive the trophy and the Marmoset prizes =]

pc_gttroph.jpg
  • Aitnar
    Sweeeeeet! Looking forward to this one. :)
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Yes, think I'll get involved again this month, will start putting a few ideas together!
  • No Pie For You!
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    i`ll give it a try as well :D
  • PrivacyEnt
    Offline / Send Message
    PrivacyEnt triangle
    Oh yes I'm in ^^
  • MugenMcFugen
    Let's do eeeet!! :D

Tr8OGH8.png

Woops already started something xD. Just a rough idea, i'll probably re-do this thousand times over D:
  • Pragmatic Fox
    try using the scrape tool if you want more defined edges.
  • Malloy
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    Can we choose to do a Halloween theme head for the radiant from the get go or is that only allowed AFTER we provide a head for the dire?
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Malloy wrote: »
    Can we choose to do a Halloween theme head for the radiant from the get go or is that only allowed AFTER we provide a head for the dire?

Whichever you want! No rules on having to do one before the other or even both.
  • MugenMcFugen
    try using the scrape tool if you want more defined edges.

It's still lowpoly in there (dynamesh), but I kinda already scraped this one and redid it into something else @_@ quite impatient I even slapped some color on it even if it's not done lol

6zVKUZV.png
  • Pragmatic Fox
    looks really nice, haven't figured out what i=I want to make quite yet.
  • Aitnar
    Aye, I too am looking through the Dire heroes and trying to decide what to do. So many heroes to choose from!
  • Markovnikov
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    Let the games... begin!

I actually have a couple of ideas, and wanted your guys opinions before I started anything.

ClygT9j.png
    First, a pair of abaddon helm ideas. Leaning towards the right hand one.

QG8NG6R.png
    Alternatively, a more organic looking Razor helm compared to the others that have been made.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    so many choices so few ideas...
  • Aitnar
    Hmm, was thinking about making a helm for Undying, but he doesn't seem to have a requirements list. Is there a reason for this?
  • Markovnikov
    Offline / Send Message
    Aitnar wrote: »
    Hmm, was thinking about making a helm for Undying, but he doesn't seem to have a requirements list. Is there a reason for this?

As far as I'm aware, he hasn't been broken down for the workshop yet. He has slots, which means he should be available relatively soonish, but we're working on Valve time, so don't get your hopes up.
  • Aitnar
    @Markovnikov - Thanks! I wasn't aware of how recent the hero was to Dota2. Alright then, I'm still looking through the dire list to find something.

So far I'm exploring the following heroes:
    - Lifestealer
    - Axe
    - Bloodseeker
    - Death Prophet
  • Hunter-Killer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    Deep Madness by Hunter-Killer

200x200.resizedimage

Slightly "cheating" as I'd already started this before the month began but thought I'd share it here anyway as it fits with the Dire Headgear theme!

It's based on the Mask of Madness (if the name and visuals didn't give that away!) Tried to slightly customise the overall look so it wasn't a carbon copy of the mask.

Below is a brief example of my workings, nothing that special or interesting!

slarkk2.png
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    @Hunter-Killer: Great stuff! Where is the rest of the set? Also, the color transition between red and white are too smooth. I am assuming you trying to achieve a paint wearing out effect.
  • MugenMcFugen
    @Hunter-Killer: That's some good stuff! Maybe some rust would work too since Slark is being water creature and whatnot. :D

xJQg4bE.png

I think I'm done with sculpting, gonna fix up them colors and go onto retopo.
  • MugenMcFugen
    dQd6J9D.png

Lod1 and lod0 done, just need to skin it now and run doto xD
  • MugenMcFugen
    Lr8jVxd.jpg

Fiftyshadesofclinkz.jpg

RE: Bonus portrait!
    ciOKm4q.png
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Man that is some mean looking Clinkz!
  • Markovnikov
    Offline / Send Message
    @MugenMcFugen: By Selemene, you work fast! Looking pretty epic.

4NfgBNg.pngThe Hallowed Helm of Avernus WIP shot 1.

Decided to mix my previous designs. Never realised how little his cape actually covered, so I guess I'll have to make a hood or gorget.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mugen, that was fast :) Looks good.
    @Markov, Cool looking helm.Does need some chainmail or something to cover that neck area.

@Hunter, very cool. Now work on something we can watch progress ;)
  • Hunter-Killer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Vayne - Did actually think about turning it into a set but decided against it! Yeah was going for a worn paint effect, may tweak the texture to better achieve this.

@MugenMcFugen - Rust is a good shout, though feel it may blend a little too much with the red metal effect. Clinkz helm is looking good, feel it could maybe do with some nose holes or the nose area to be brought down a little bit to give it a bit more of a "skull shape" but overall wicked stuff!

@Baddcog - I kind of tried to show my progress! :P
  • No Pie For You!
    Offline / Send Message
    It`s time to unravel my poor photoshop drawing skills once again!
    GHkLBGH.jpg

The concept is simple: a crystal head ellongation for pugna (as my obsession with sparkly rocks wasn`t clear enough....), that comes out of his horn sockets, and grow towards the back in a faceted manner to form a prollongement. Thought of doing it a simmilar way with the floaty crystal-rock ward i did for him a month ago. Any thoughts?

Also it`s my first time participating so i have a small question: is it possible to submit more than concept ideea in the early stages of development?
  • Aitnar
    @Markovnikov - Interesting helm idea. I like it so far. I agree with Baddcog, maybe some chain mail under the helm or some fur would like nice. I think you may be able to get some pretty cool shapes out of those horns as well. :)

@MugenMcFugen - That was fast! Pretty cool helm and fits Clinkz well. Good job!

@Hunter-Killer - Cool helm! I agree that the paint should look a bit more chipped / rusted instead of blurred. Don't forget progress!
  • No Pie For You!
    Offline / Send Message
    @MugenMcFugen- I agree with Aitnar! some nostrils/ nose skull holes would look dashing!

@Hunter-Killer- nice job on the shlark mask, but do you think valve will approve multiple models for MoM? Isn`t it one for drow in game?
    still.... markovnikov makes a damn good point bellow me, so i guess my argument becones obsolete. It depends on the model`s quality, and public critique of course
  • Markovnikov
    Offline / Send Message
    @ No Pie For You!: Both Axe and Centaur have Reavers, and Axe and Tide have Blinks. As long as the two are very clearly for the different heroes, I don't think they're going to have a problem.
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Posted this in my workshop thread but I figure it would be appropriate here as well.
    uKvmp5m.png
    While not technically "head" slots, the costume slots for these fellows are probably eligible for this contest. Whether or not Valve will press the button that makes Techies ready for the workshop is a whole other story, but they are already broken down for sets and items so.... while we're young, valve!
  • No Pie For You!
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the pugna skull thiggy. after some pondering, i realised pugna looks reaaaaly strange and tiny without his horns. so i thought of converting the "skull", into a ritual hat, and give him some small horns. I still have some Beefing up to do for them

here`s the first WIP. any advices?
    aeYnnUb.jpg
  • schnoodle
    Offline / Send Message
    schnoodle polycounter lvl 3
    Everything looks awesome so far, I finally had a chance to sit down and think about what I want to make, and I've come up with this:

7gmROjw.png

Now, I don't know what hero I would do this for, as I have been thinking about changing the color scheme to work for Chaos Knight, or Abbadon, or possibly Wraith King, or even Lich, Shadow Demon, Terrorblade, Shadow Fiend (if it's possible), or whoever else looks good in a helmet.

Who knows.
  • ryuuyku0666
    lunberjack hat for meepo, what you thing?

divugao_by_beckdraw-d81mssy.jpg
  • Markovnikov
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ryuuyku0666: The textures are very dark, and there's not a lot of contrast, so it just sort of blurs into a lump. I also think the side flaps are too thick; reminds me more of a furry version of Huskar's helemt more than a lumbrjack's cap.

@Schnoodle: Gauging by the shape, either Abaddon or maybe Terrorblade (if you give it some horns) would probably be best.
  • down_limit
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    Greetings to all!
    I stood out a little bit of free time. I saw the topic of this month-competition, and wondered why no one does anything for the Death Prophet? because she is - the voice of the event (Diretide)! I draw this sketch, and maybe someone will find it beautiful enough to realize)

JJ5eGbr.png
  • Paskie
    *spelling.....

Just a heads up on the hood Down_limit, i tried that direction some time ago and i had trouble with her ears clipping the hood, looked to bulky for my taste. Could not figure out how to make it look ok.
    qQVqTBY.png
    Curious to see if you guys can pull it off!
    Your concept looks great.
  • Markovnikov
    Offline / Send Message
    preview2.png

There we go, a nice fur collar for the Lord of Avernus. Very proud of myself for the fur sculpting for once, so... onto the painting.
  • luluz
    Offline / Send Message
    luluz polycounter lvl 3
    Hi,
    always late to join monthly competition before, but not this month.

I'll try to create head for OD,

I attach my sketch that i really like it, i think i will go with this. What do you think? OD's head is so big, hope it will suit with default equipment.

view?usp=sharing
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    DP is a good hero for the comp, don't think a hood really fits though, at least as stand alone. Since she has a shoulderless dress and all.

Markov.. It's looking very cool but your shapes are really soft. Pinching the edges and making them nice and crisp would really make it kick ass. I'd probably just model the helmet details so you can get a really nice sharp separation.
  • MugenMcFugen
    Thanks for the feedback guys! But insane as I am I'll probably redo the helmet/skull thing from stratch or give that theme to some other hero, I'm not satisfied how it reads up from above. This is problem for me when I'm impatient. :PP

Now for you folk that posted around here and sorry if I sound bit of brutal in some parts:

@No Pie for You! : That's good direction! I felt same with Clinkz, when I loaded it into game it made me realize how it looks almost non existent (apart from spooky eyes) but more like some definition that goes upwards is lacking. You can make ceremonial hat also go more up, but that's more up to you and testing.

@darkkyo: Not bad idea, but it needs to be bit more refined, are you trying to apply pumpkin head to him? Then you need to shape it up so it fits Razor, he's slinky guy, so if his head was bloated it would look quite silly don't you agree? I think that's really good idea, you can do amounts of combination in it, but for that you need to throw out ideas.

@ryuukyu0666: why the hell not, but it seems it lacks some definition. It's like someone glued broken wood to his head. You can throw in bit of gray hair in it too, even animals aren't fully furred in one color, they grow out their grays too.

@Downl_limit: Sorry, but I have to tell you this, you just took Crystal Maidens head piece and glued it to Krobelus. But here's a catch, you can take that idea and mold it so it fits Krobelus, I mean doesn't she have pointy ears? Isn't she dead a bit so her clothing would be bit torn apart? Man, you can even take her hair out a bit too so it's not the some fabulous hairdo when she's yknow ''Death'' Prophet. Make her bit more dead if you catch my drift. D:

@Makornikov: Looking good! I'm gonna wait for paint to see how it turns out :D.

Btw, again, I'm apologizing if some parts seems brutal, but thing is I see potential in every single one of them and I believe you can develop it into something even more grandiose! Keep at it people! :DDD
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys , I'm gonna join in this month:)

first : I tried to make a evilish crown for abbadon , with some hair strands and such
    zgHYSol.jpg
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    spooky swampy furion

650e37c31f.jpg
  • Aitnar
    @Markovnikov - That fur looks awesome!!
    @mihalceanu - Pretty cool crown. I like the shape, the texture will really bring it together.
    @ike_ike - I like it, the asymmetry is very well done.

Update: I'm still sketching out ideas. I decided I'm going to go with Death Prophet. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, but it just needs iteration.
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    hamstocks polycounter lvl 5
    @ike_ike that is so sick!!! even though its asymmetrical its so well balanced, the hair is a nice touch as well.

@mihalceanu that abbadon crown is so gnarly, I cant wait to see it textured! also im assuming the points of the crown are going to end up being more sharp?... if not I would definitely sharpen them up a bit
  • No Pie For You!
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress. I`m quite happy with how the horns turned out, and i also took your advice and made the hat a bit more up-pointing. Last thing i think it still needs is a small accent on the front of the hat (the white circle in the picture). Ill experiment with that a bit and then i`ll start working on the highpoly. ill post a progress after i`m done with the high sculp. thanks for the suggestion muggen
    ilcNfMD.jpg

@ike- your concepts are shaping up great! i can see an algae-based tree ent monster thiggy coming in with that.
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    what's up everyone, I've never done one of these monthly competitions before, so I thought i'd give it a try. And there's some pretty awesome work on here so far, so I know it will be a challenge.

I decided to do a head item for warlock, because he's one of my favorite heroes, and, well, why not. I started out with some thumbnails:

6SoZ7JE.png

Then I chose 5 of them to do a rough color block in:

BADJWkB.png

From here I'm going to narrow it down to 2, and paint them both completely, and then choose one and maybe tweak it or change it up a little, depending on how it turns out.

So anyway, I'm pretty excited to be part of this challenge, and good luck to everyone participating!
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    So I chose 2 of them, and painted them both... it's a pretty easy choice for me, because when working on the second one, I just couldn't work out the forms. I still really like the silhouette, but I can't figure out how to paint it. and it doesn't look very good as of now, because most of it is cloth, and the two "arms" and the middle gold piece just look really awkward.

8zvwCCn.png

Afh9QPc.png

So anyway, I have a design down, and I'll probably start doing a rough blockout either later today or tomorrow.
  • Elwing.V3
    Whooo my first forum post in years!

But more seriously, I have no idea why this idea has not been done before. Grand Vizier style warlock. May make matching Magic Lamp for the off hand. May also replace head spike thing with a scarab beetle.

First pair of renders are just the base sculpt. It really needs some cleaning up.
    WOmvlY5.jpg
    0KbIpTv.jpg
    Second set are with a flat color render as I like to do most texture work in polypaint. Very much just working out the colors at this point.
    13wSOcv.jpg7Q8sFfJ.jpg
    Any ideas on changes or improvements that could be made?