Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 2012, vertex keep shifting/moving by themselves

Yo, so im kind of new to max.

Anyway, when i convert a basic box for example to an editable mesh or poly, and then select a vertex they seem to shift or move out of position by themselves. Usually by at least 1mm.

This may not sound like much, and isnt really viewable on realistic view, but looks horrendous on wireframe.

Say i have a vertex at floor level, i select it and press the move transform button to move it, they very often move or shift by themselves slightly for no reason.

Just selecting them sometimes makes them move and shift by 1mm. What the hell is this? Anyone know? Thanks.

Replies

• Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    this can happen if u select them in move mode (w) ... to avoid this u can and also should use select mode (q) to do that.
  • Prometheus2012
    Naw ive made sure im not doing that. Also another issue seems to be, when i create a cube or box or basic shape, and zoom right in, the damn vertex arent even lined up right. This is even before converting to mesh or poly.

They are just so uneven.
  • Prometheus2012
    For example i make a box that has 2 vertex on the x axis. from a meter or so away on the wireframe, they are lined up fine, and the move/transform tool says they are lined up correctly, but i zoom in and the damn things arent lined up. When i manually enter a coordinate for each vertex they will line up right, but i cant seem to make a shape that has all the vertex in their correct position.
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    wait u just mean that they are not rendered straight? this is just an float round up problem then if the coordinates are as they should be.
    do not mind this the math is right.... it is just the numbers the gfc gets are rounded a bit.... if your zoom level gets to high eg. the space for numbers gets to small.....
  • Prometheus2012
    Yeh the primitive shapes seem to be unnacurate as hell. Ah well they wont really be noticeable with textures on them. Thanks anyway Next.
  • Prometheus2012
    I hate the fact that it happens irregularly and not every time i create a shape. This leads me to believe it is not a setting, but some issue with those shape creation tools itself.

Example, i just went into max again and made a box and a cube. Neither of them had the out of place vertices. I deleted them and made another box and cube, and 1 of these had the out of place vertex alignment....ARRRG.
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    i edited my post above...:)
  • Prometheus2012
    But why do some look straight and some do not after being created, and at the same zoom level. I zoomed all the way in as far as the camera could go on a 1x1x1 metre box and everything was lined up perfectly. I then make a new 1x1x1 metre box and zoom all the way in and the stupid thing look messed up lol.
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    because the clamping i think happens just at random. - but do not worry this is fine and nothing is broken.
  • Prometheus2012
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Are you sure its perfectly Front/Left/Top viewport? cus you might accidentally move the viewport abit that make it become orthographic, because as you said the coordinates all align correctly, sounds like a user error rather than software/hardware error to me as it never happen to me or anyone I know before.
    Post a screenshot if you like.