Home General Discussion

Game creation questions

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Eleszar1 polycounter lvl 11
i will get straight to the point i want to discuss about pirated 3d softwares and the creation of the games, i see many free lancers are using pirated softwares to create characters for games and make a profit,
So what i was wondering was,, that can the 3d models be detected if they are made by a pirated software?.
i making this thread because i want to create my own game and i dont want to be a victim of a guy used a pirated program to create my 3d models.

SO is there a way to learn if your OBJ file was created by a pirated zbrush or any other pirated program?

Replies

• Eleszar1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hermit wrote: »
    Blender is free

my question wasnt about what program is free
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I don't know the answer you seek, Eleszar1.
  • Eleszar1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I don't know the answer you seek, Eleszar1.

But, let's say for a moment, that an OBJ export from pirated Maya or ZBrush has an IFF (Identification friend or foe) attached to it, or it's lacking a correct IFF or something; all one has to do is to import it in Blender, then export it out again. Voila. The OBJ export from Blender is now legit.

thanks a lot thats the answer i was looking for i would like also if u link some more info about it :)
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Well most freelancers aren't using pirated software after they make profit.
    Its important to immediately by licenses with your extra cash and work as much as you can with youre licensed software. Since ya'know, Games aren't worth going to jail over :)

ETA: Blender is free and there is amazing art done in it as well. Definitely should check it out before deciding that you want to throw up your jolly roger
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'd imagine there is actually quite a large number of freelancers that are using pirated software, most likely from countries where things like this are enforced less like China for example.

It is possible for companies like Autodesk to detect if a model was made using pirated software or a student edition since there are flags in the metadata that would contain specific information about your license (or lack of one.)

If you're making a game yourself and you plan to purchase assets from freelancers, then you should do a background check of the artist first if possible. At the end of the day, if you get a pirated copy asset from them, they get their money and can disappear, but you'll have to suffer the consequences. Also, purchasing assets for a fair price could be an indication that the artist owns their software. If you see somebody selling work for ridiculously low prices, that should set off an alarm in your head.

If you're contemplating developing your own game and making your own assets with pirated software, don't. There is plenty of free software that can get the job done which will allow you to avoid getting shut down, and more importantly, you don't want to be known as the guy or girl that got a big project shut down because of pirated software.
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    a friend ( who is a programmer ) told me that u can dig deep in the file regestary or something and find out how many programs and what programs this file passed on .. so its not just ( export it from blender as last step ) thing
    says my friend who could be wrong ... he kinda explained it to me .. but im just to dumb to understand programming stuff :D
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    AA3D wrote: »
    a friend ( who is a programmer ) told me that u can dig deep in the file regestary or something and find out how many programs and what programs this file passed on .. so its not just ( export it from blender as last step ) thing
    says my friend who could be wrong ... he kinda explained it to me .. but im just to dumb to understand programming stuff :D

I wanna know more of this :P
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I wanna know more of this :P
    haha going to ask him and get back to u within 2 or3 days hopefully ( sorry if thats long... im currently in a country where skype is blocked by the gov for some stupid reason )
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    With .obj you're never gonna be able to tell if it came from pirated software or not. Why? You can simply open the file with notepad and remove any information, and even if there was some hidden information you could just copy the text in to a new notepad window and save it out as an name.obj.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I am unaware of any way, to gather info from all previous software, that a file has passed through, especially to know license info. It's possible it will be tagged, from a direct export. It's also possible that the file may be tagged, and that info never gets replaced by new apps (ie; Maya info may stay, after a Blender export). But if you export from Maya, open in ZBrush, then export again, and open in Blender. I doubt the final export would have Maya info, but maybe ZBrush info.

Even if the file is tagged, I doubt there is much to ID it as sourced from illegal software. Mainly because, they wouldn't tag it with a product key. The only other identifier, would be if the 'hack' leaves info in license info. For instance, some groups like to license the software under a 'hacker' name, which quickly identifies the software as pirated.

So, overall, I would say no, unfortunately, there isn't a way that I'm aware of.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    so, who exactly at autodesk/adobe is going through the source files (read: source files, not compiled ingame assets) and looking for assets made with pirated software?

while you should buy your software (i did!), nobody is checking. when you're the only game in town and you charge $4000 for your software, of course pirated copies will be widely used--and they know this. i gotta give big credit to adobe for offering a reasonably priced subscription option, that's very smart of them!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    There's really no way to know if you are contracting work out to freelancers that have bought their software legitimately or not. I understand your concern though and it's a valid one.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Didn't Microsoft get "Caught" for using pirated software? I believe in their case it was for an audio file.
    But the meta data in the exported file proved that it was created by a pirated version of the audio editor.

After a quick google search, you can see they did:
    http://www.techpavan.com/2009/05/24/microsoft-deepz0ne-pirated-cracked-sound-forge-windows-xp-audio/
  • Chev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chev polycounter lvl 10
    Short answer: yes and no

OK, wasn't very informative. The long answer is that for any file directly produced or exported from the pirated application there may be metadata, but for any custom format the only metadata that's there is the one you put in.

The "too much information" answer is for some data you may technically be able to include hidden metadata through steganography, ie watermarking, and through a form of watermarking that survives the various exports. In other words you change the value of vertices or pixels by so and so in a way that's specific to your program and it won't be noticeable by a fleshy human but a cold-hearted program will recognize it. You'll need kinda crazy programmers with intimate knowledge of possible export processes on your team though so that's pretty uncommon, especially for 3D models (whereas the techniques for hiding metadata in images are reasonably well known).