Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"NO TRESPASSING" - University Project

Hey guys!

This thread is all about a two-man team working on a current project called "Trespass" for our final year of university. It will all be in UE4.

We haven't really focused on any narrative as we both wanted to give full attention to the modeling and texturing. We aim to showcase a good-looking scene. In order to achieve that, we need some help from you guys! So please feel free to give us some advice!

The scene is in an abandoned prison cell off-limits to the public. Two characters trespass into the abandoned prison. They then find themselves trapped by a psychotic ex-con. The scene will basically show one of the characters injured, and the protagonist defending from the psycho. The scene will be still, with the camera panning around here and there.

Team:
Kee - Character artist (http://artofkee.co.uk)
Rod - Environment artist (http://www.rodrigomiguel.co.uk/)

Replies

• artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment, here is a very early WIP of the psycho. He doesn't look very psychotic yet. I also hope to make him even more creepy with the facial expression and textures. Any feedback is very much appreciated!

5r8gVGA.jpg

EDIT: Here are some moodboard stuffs just so you guys know what direction I'm trying to go for.

I'm trying to aim for 3 characters but we'll see how it goes. Also, I'm not doing any likeness sculpt on any of the characters. Unfortunately, my skills aren't there yet for any likeness sculpt. >__< I'm mainly taking certain features. I was advised to follow one person's face so it's easier to find different angles of the face.

Psycho Moodboard:
    58Vzszf.jpg
    WdcQVCF.jpg

Hero Moodboard:
    TVjksZ1.jpg

Side character moodboard:
    9YHVGrh.jpg
    7V7RgL3.jpg
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    Hello, im the second team member of the team. I will be working on environment and assets. Is still early development phase. At the moment im working on few assets for the prison cell
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    Here's a newer concept we've decided on OyF35Xz.jpg
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    and a general block out of the scene ysFXWCD.jpg
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    Here's a few WIP of some of the assets DBQ4BC7.jpgwho5sEK.jpgoiwUWQ8.jpg
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Good start on the psycho, he definitely has a Steve Buscemi look to him.

The prison concept doesn't look like a prison. I actually thought before reading your text that it was an abandoned mall. There's no natural light at all, the staircase in the middle looks like an escalator, the ceiling's seems too low and the railings are concrete and opaque so block line-of-sight.

I'd recommend you get some really solid references for prisons and photobash a concept:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=alcatraz
    https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=relevance&text=west%20virginia%20penitentiary
    https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=relevance&text=jail

Edit: Never mind, the new concept and models look way better :)
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    haha thanks, yeh our lecturer and we had same thought b4
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    quick update on my assets, zXaRio4.jpg
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Kurt! Still an early WIP. Hopefully it will look like Steve Buscemi. If not, at least creepy looking lol.
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    Another matress WIP
    bNc0uS4.jpg
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some feedback would be great.

lpwfvYi.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    One thing that concerns me is the rusty tray. Rust is the kind of thing that grows on bare metal and paint is supposed to protect that. Left untreated, paint doesn't protect against rust, but you rust looks like it's ignoraing the material propererties of both the metal and the paint, an dis following its own rules altogether. The other warning is the quantity of rust you have. For an indoor prop, that's a lot of rust; unless there's a huge amount of humidity in your prison.

Just some food for thought. Otherwise, I'm really diggin some of the stuff you have. Maintain the course!
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    Alcatraz_prison_cell.jpg I was following references i found on alcatraz and so on, also not quit sure wat u mean bout the properties? what should i change?
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    What I mean by "properties" is that bare metal rusts quickly when exposed to moisture and paint protects against that. I really like your faucet reference; you'll notice that there is paint and then there is rust but no exposed metal. Being in island off San Fransisco, the air in Alcatraz is extremely humid and would most likely rust all bare metal. I bet those leaks are from SF's morning dew causing everything to have a "condensation" look like on a can of soda. The standing moisture is collected in crevices and absent from most smooth surfaces, while the leaking condensation over time brought some rust down with it; that's super cool.

If you look at the metal tray, it looks like there is thick paint, thin paint, and all the exposed metal has been rusted away. When I look at your tray, I see paint, bare metal (maybe rusted metal?) and a layer of paint that doesn't follow the properties of how rust is formed; it's just it's own pattern applied over the two materials.
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some update on the character.

EOFZxI1.jpg
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    I see what u mean, i think hehe will continue to tweak textures, working on a tileable texture atm for the floor, HARvatF.jpgKCCV3v7.jpg
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    wkBpPxJ.jpg
    Painting water vertex style
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I was retopologising the old man but I got a bit bored so I did the main character for a while. Still very early WIP of her. Crit very welcome!

Yfryt8K.jpg
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I know it's a WIP, but not utilizing any sort of outside lighting is doing this scene a major disservice. That window at the end of your scene (The large one shown in the block-out) is begging to be used, as well as making this feel more prison like. The idea of a prison is longing to be out of it...feeling, confined, closed in. By not seeing those back walls with the current lighting your losing the whole scene.

This scene will be stronger taken in the direction of these images......in terms of mood, composition, and atmosphere.
    old-main-prison-santa-fe-3.jpg?w=1400&h=&crop=1

7489424630_2a9e59b6bc_z.jpg

Those tables go in large open areas like this...(this is only to show table usage, not the artistic direction. Ref only.)
    Essex-County-housing-unit-dayroom.jpg

You can still have it be more run down, graffiti....the works, but not being able to see all the assets you've labored over is sort of a waste of time.

The table and wood pallets seem really out of place for me, usually these areas are free of clutter and left open for lineups and roll calls. Time for you to watch Shawshank and Green Mile.
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for crit, the scene does infact have a large open rooftop with lighting coming fro mthe top, but those back windows could be an idea, also i understand about the empty corridors but I felt that i needed to fill the space with junk from aroudn the prison, perhaps the guy living there moved stuff around both those movies are amazin
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    Couple more WIP's
    09sAynd.jpg
    H01nbPp.jpg
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    Added some outdoor lighting as suggested by Pixel
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    replaced with temporary rig for better posing will replace with actual characters when they are rigged
    e1Sy3sh.jpg
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    You need to spend more time on your lighting. I can't tell what is happening here. Work with only one directional light, and your ambient/global light. Dial those in. Start with your ambient/global; you want that to be set to your darkest dark....meaning this is what the viewer sees in the darkest area of your scene. (shouldn't be full black but close). Then introduce (turn on) your directional light. This can be to your liking, make the lighting direction work for your composition....examples (light shafts, cool shadows, interesting silhouettes). Then use point lights to fill out the rest of the scene. (never start with point lights/spot lights.)
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    You need to spend more time on your lighting. I can't tell what is happening here. Work with only one directional light, and your ambient/global light. Dial those in. Start with your ambient/global; you want that to be set to your darkest dark....meaning this is what the viewer sees in the darkest area of your scene. (shouldn't be full black but close). Then introduce (turn on) your directional light. This can be to your liking, make the lighting direction work for your composition....examples (light shafts, cool shadows, interesting silhouettes). Then use point lights to fill out the rest of the scene. (never start with point lights/spot lights.)

Thanks will look into lighting, not my strongest skill xD
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9