Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

【WIP】Blizzard Student Contest

ce551029
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ce551029 polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys! This is Xi Chen. A Chinese girl who is right now studying game art in US. I'm working on Blizzard Student Contest and hoping to get some critic from you guys. I'd like to show my design concepts and any other WIPs. Thank you so much indeed!

This contest means a lot to me. I'm a fan of Blizzard's game art style and this 2015 contest is my first and also last attempt of participating in it because I'm graduating next year. I really wish this could become my trigger of my career path and you guys advice means a lot to me! I'd appreciate any advice or thought. Please feel free to leave any comments. Thank you and thank you again!

And here it goes:

first of all, this is my concept draft. My idea is kind of blur at the beginning. My favorite part of WoW is the mist of pandaria because of it's over all brighter and delight color scheme suits my taste the most. And also because I'm a Chinese, the Chinese elements in the game give me a really close and approachable feeling. I know this part is coming to an end this year but I still decide to base my character in this series because I really love it.

And regarding to the character. I just want do a traveler at the beginning. And later the ideas of merchant or traveling artist came to my mind. I couldn't decided which direction to turn to. I roughly designed the costume and the big shape of the character. I'm not exactly sure if I should make the character into a panda or a raccoon. You may see both characters in this picture. But later I decided to have more approach to the raccoon.

First draft (rough draft)

001.jpg

Second draft (front view)

002.jpg

Replies

• ce551029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Third draft, I tried to have more panda look

003.jpg

Back to some raccoon elements

004.jpg

More merchant elements (those lines are for shoulder pole. I'm not exactly sure what to put there at that poin)

005.jpg

This is the one coolest to the modeling phase. I put a back pack on his shoulder instead of the shoulder pole. I'm a little worried about the 6k tri limit.

006.jpg
  • ce551029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the basic maya model. Still not in game mesh yet. I'm quite worried about the 6k poly limit and thinking about taking away some of the props on the main character. But it's really hard to decide which to take away.

The small drum in his hand seems to childish so I changed it into another Chinese traditional instrument, Erhu.

008.jpg

The stuff on the side is traditional Chinese snacks, sticks of sugar-coated haws. But I think it's too overwhelming so I took it out and changed a big brush on the side. Still seems a little more. Can I get some advice from you guys what should I keep?
    009.jpg

Without the brush

010.jpg

High res in Zbrush- head

007.jpg

I'm looking forward to any opinions, no matter it's design wise or sculpting wise. Thank you for your time indeed!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want a panda/racoon hybrid, then you're probably thinking of a red panda:
    panda1_709041545401.png
    The arms & legs look rather short for the head & torso.

It'd probably be better to model without the clothing & props, then add them once you have the basic anatomy finished.

Keep in mind that while red pandas (and racoons, for that matter) have long tails, giant pandas (the traditional black & white critters) do not. This is actually reflected in game; only the red pandarans have visible tails.
  • ce551029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much DWalker! That's a really good hint!
  • ce551029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what I have so far. Thanks for the feedback last time!

Chen_Xi_GPD_1411_WIP_Sheets_02.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Lengthen the arms. If your hands can reach halfway down your thigh, same should go for an anthro character.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Very nice job on the props and clothing. They look very nice. I have to agree with JadeEyePanda about the arms. I'd also say the head and tail look a bit muddy. They could use refinement. For the tail I'd mainly say it probably needs sculpted fur unless you plan on using alpha planes or dynamic hair. The sharps rings on the tail seem a bit odd. As for the head I have a few key points. First, The ear have a bit of an overly smooth transition into the back of the head. It might also be nice to have the ear point back (in looking at red panda references). The back of the head probably shouldn't jut out. Maybe a soft transition into the neck might be better. I'd been playing around with the head to neck transitions on a couple models recently and I'm thinking this could look more appealing. Lastly, adding teeth would really help. I have a picture below in case my wording is hard to understand. Anyway, I hope this helps! :)

raavnYo.jpg
  • ce551029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the great critique! And kosh_fotsirk, your suggestions are really clear with the illustration under, and I'm working on it now. Thank you guys so much and I'm going to keep updating the progress later!
  • ce551029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys! Thanks for the great advice! I've changed my model according to your critiques! I appreciate it a lot! Here are some new progress~ I think I've come up with a big screen color different issue. Can you guys see the lower body clearly? It seems ok on my computer but it's really dark on other Mac computer and iphones. I'm wondering what do you guys see the textures, is that clear enough? Is that blending into the dark background? And I'm looking forward to any further suggestions. Thanks a lot!

WIP_week3_1.jpg
    WIP_week3_2.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Daym this looks really nice, the concept is great too. Keep it up!
  • sidx30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    Nice work! Some alpha planes might help you with the fur and maybe even save some triangles? As for the blending, If your talking about the symbols on the clothing, they are a tad bit hard to see on the lower body.(The character vs background looks fine.) Also, I think the hat is standing out a bit too with it's color/highlights. The socks/wrappings you had in the original concept might help a bit with color balance. (not sure if you were doing that later or not.) Anyways, looking good so far. Keep going. ^_^
  • ce551029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'll try to add more contrast, bring up the color of the pants and down the color of the hat~ I guess the color difference is because of the mac and pc screen. I'll try to adjust that later~
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    i really love the colors!
  • ce551029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the critic and here is the new update. I really need some suggestions on the color palette... I feel like the color right now seems a little muddy and unclean but I can't figure out what's going wrong. Any ideas?

002-1.jpg

001-1.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might be blowing out the upper half a bit too much. To ME, it feels blown out.

I'd pull back a bit.
  • chrisjuuuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisjuuuh polycounter lvl 6
    great job so far. I might be a bit late with this critique but the first thing i noticed was that the character has realy skinny fingers. also I feel like the shoulders could be a lot beefier. as his upper body looks a bit wimpy for someone who is carrying around all that stuff all day.

also, the blue bottle on his belt is getting lost in his blue trousers. Change the colour of the bottle.

Finally you need to paint out the occlusion on the bottom of the sleeves. it needs to be much more subtle.
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    I agree- the values look blown-out. Some parts of your texture are too contrasty- I’m looking at the wooden crate and the shirt especially.
    I did a little paintover to show what it would look like with softer lighting.

panda_zpsb1208950.png

It could also be that your lighting setup is too strong. Realtime lighting on top of painted-in lighting can do that. I find you can get pretty WoW-like lighting by using the base texture as emissive map at a medium intensity, and setting any scene lights to about half strength.

Good luck!
  • ce551029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Thank you soooo much for the critique! I tried to follow every one of them. It's a little late to change the model itself now but I changed some of the sizes and it looks not that obvious. And I really appreciate the paint over and the suggestion of emissive map, it worked! But some how I still have to figure out a way to add more red light to light up the pants.

Here is the adjustments. Any new thoughts?

05-5.jpg

052-1.jpg

23_occlusion-1.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still feels blown out.

Don't do the reverse mistake I made by crunching the value gradient to super dark. You shoud pull back on how bright your upper part is.
  • ce551029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it's my main light and photoshop problem. I tried to fix it by turn down the main light and darken the upper body a little. See if it works this time?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and see if my old thread on the contest two years ago helps any: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1738264
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    it looks awesome, vertical gradient is way to strong though. In my opinion, it's to dark at the bottom and to bright at the top. I love it though.
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    cancel that, it seems you improved it on the newer one. looks better. top still looks a little brighter than it should though but nothing to strong.
  • ce551029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, long time no see. Here is the update. It's approaching to the end of the whole process. Any thoughts?

tumblr01.jpg

tumblr02.jpg

tumblr03.jpg

tumblr04.jpg

tumblr05.jpg
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Wow really cool! :)