Home Quixel Megascans

Support

Replies

• meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    for you guys not able to get it running, heres what i had to do.
    1. turn windows uac comletely off, even though you run the suite as an admin, when you try and launch ddo from the launcher, its not launching it with admin privlages.
    2. i had to completely wipe all old ddo remnence off my computer, just earch for quixel and delete all the folders in appdata/prgram files etc, then a clean install. i could put my maps in but when creating a project it couldnt connect to any of teh brick/noise/patterns it needed. this fixed all of that.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    boumay wrote: »
    It seems that the effects are applied depending on your original uv layout/normals/or else?
    Btw can you explain what you mean by uv seam error?
    Thank you.

Sure. dDo will apply the textures across your uv islands according to the material id's (colour input). So the red coloured uv islands get set to mud for example. However, the 2d textures won't magically align at uv seams. So wherever you have a uv seam on your model, you should expect a seam. Ideally, you would unwrap your object in such a way that you have one material id per island to minimise these seams.

Dynamask comes in handy here because I might want to apply a sandy overlay to a metal texture, but not near the seams. With dynamask you can pretty easily restrict a material just to cavities or edges. Using the object space map to apply an effect to a certain direction is quite handy too and you've probably noticed a few of the mask presets doing this — mud from below is a good example. Open up some masks and see which ones use the Object Space normal map (assuming you input one) to control the mask.

Uv seams aren't necessarily bad (they're necessary) BUT you should avoid having seams in plain view. Put them on the parts of the model that will be hidden from the camera. When you don't have this luxury you need to take extra care to make sure the seam is as unnoticeable in the texture as possible. A fair bit of consideration should go into seam placement as they also effect tangent space normal map baking and the real vert count of a model. If you want more information definitely check out the polycount wiki and some of the stickied threads in Technical Talk.
  • Dustinmaertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dustinmaertz polycounter lvl 7
    Not sure if I am missing something here, but I am having a hard time loading textures exported out of Ddo with UE4 calibration into 3do custom loader for quick previewing. If anyone could elaborate on this workflow, or tell me if this is possible in the current release. Thanks
  • hal9000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having the same issue that's been mentioned a few times, Install quixel suite, updated to latest version(1.3), PS repeatedly asks to pick a photoshop.exe to use (while running as admin), PS restarts, quixel bar appears to load but click either ndo or ddo and it crashes. :(

Software:
    Windows 8.1
    PS CC 2014
  • grfxman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grfxman polycounter lvl 6
    So I have posted a half a dozen times about the C Shift not working on Adobe CC 64 on Windows 7 Pro with an Intel video card. Has anyone got it working with the same set up? Because I would really like to get it functioning. Thanks in Advance.
  • CollinBishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CollinBishop polycounter lvl 2
    In order to expose the preset to the UI I had to go into:

SUITE->script->presets->Project->

Then create an XML for Cryengine to expose it into the UI. You may want to update this at some point or it will never show up for any Cryengine users out there.
  • boumay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boumay polycounter lvl 6
    Bek wrote: »
    Sure. dDo will apply the textures across your uv islands according to the material id's (colour input). So the red coloured uv islands get set to mud for example. However, the 2d textures won't magically align at uv seams. So wherever you have a uv seam on your model, you should expect a seam. Ideally, you would unwrap your object in such a way that you have one material id per island to minimise these seams.

Dynamask comes in handy here because I might want to apply a sandy overlay to a metal texture, but not near the seams. With dynamask you can pretty easily restrict a material just to cavities or edges. Using the object space map to apply an effect to a certain direction is quite handy too and you've probably noticed a few of the mask presets doing this — mud from below is a good example. Open up some masks and see which ones use the Object Space normal map (assuming you input one) to control the mask.

Uv seams aren't necessarily bad (they're necessary) BUT you should avoid having seams in plain view. Put them on the parts of the model that will be hidden from the camera. When you don't have this luxury you need to take extra care to make sure the seam is as unnoticeable in the texture as possible. A fair bit of consideration should go into seam placement as they also effect tangent space normal map baking and the real vert count of a model. If you want more information definitely check out the polycount wiki and some of the stickied threads in Technical Talk.
    Thank you for explaining this, it was very informative.
    and the fact that the seams affect the tangent space is what I was expecting to be the problem. I should check about that.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Also seem to get these when deleting a material; cs6

0aqgNVy.png
    0rFcFsz.png
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I have a question about saving materials. When I save a material preset, I save it in the correct directory (...scipt/presets/Master; the default directory) but Quixel can't find it in the smart materials browser. I later learned that it only saved out the .xml and not any thumbnails. After taking some thumbnails and renaming them to correspond with the material, the browser can now find the custom materials does not apply them to the PSD document.

How can I save out materials? Another directory? Both my attempts at saving and my collegues and I trying to share materials at work are yielding no results.
  • IZZE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IZZE polycounter lvl 8
    @BringMeASunkist

I have been working on getting custom materials to work properly this last week. There are two ways to create materials. One is at the Ddo main screen
    add_mat_001.jpgadd_mat_001.jpg

The second is when you have a project loaded, in the material browser.
    add_mat_002.jpgadd_mat_001.jpgadd_mat_002.jpg

The second option in the material browser is the only one that works for me. I can then add my newly saved materials to make a smart material and save that with no problems. Are you using the first or second option?
  • Rizzla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I am having a big problem with nDo2.. so I download it and it tells me to load up Photoshop, quit Photoshop and then launch nDo2 again. for some reason when I load nDo2 again it shows me that box again and i click OK and then a error occurs.. I have re installed it over and over and it still doesn't work.. help! :(
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Izzie. Turns out I wasn't saving them properly but I appreciate the help
  • jasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jasong polycounter lvl 10
    jasong wrote: »
    I have a problem with the Suite not being able to run because of my company's firewall (this also happens with the legacy version of dDo.). To add a firewall exception my company requires information such as where exactly the Suite is trying to connect. I'm guessing they're looking for server info such as the port number and IP address.

Any help you can give would be most appreciated. Thanks!

After talking to my IT guy I think this might not be a firewall issue, but the crash others are experiencing. The Suite runs fine and I get can updates, but when trying to run dDo and nDo it hangs. This happens on CS4 and CC. I tried uninstalling, deleting left over files, and reinstalling, but no luck.

Funny thing is it runs fine on my PC at home!
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    Quixel Suite 1.3 is having an issue regarding Megascans, I've tried all materials and it creates the material and it's respective reflectance values - but no textures. I've made sure the checkbox to use textures is on,

Help?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Sythen, I've noticed that with Dried Mud, maybe make a note of what other materials have that error for Teddy.
  • 4GetRich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ddo And NDo wont just start up... Suite works fine, but after clicking ddo or ndo bttn it just stucks...
  • Spyral9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. Im having trouble getting anything to show on the colour map. It doesn`t show colour
    map on 3d preview and doesn`t export either. Its obviously a noob thing but having watched the chainsaw tutorial i dont get the automation hub so can`t define materials.
    Oh help me obi wan. your my only hope.
  • SpaceJunkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spyral9 wrote: »
    Hi. Im having trouble getting anything to show on the colour map. It doesn`t show colour
    map on 3d preview and doesn`t export either. Its obviously a noob thing but having watched the chainsaw tutorial i dont get the automation hub so can`t define materials.
    Oh help me obi wan. your my only hope.
    Those older videos don't do a lot to help with the new SUITE and it's new UI. Check out this video, it should be more help.

dDo and 3Do workflow primer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YyJJAp17K-Y

The new SUITE wiki aka the user manual here:
    http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddointro
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Edit: ok topmost had deselected itself. doh.

The initial suite window is now not remaining on top of my photoshop and closing altogether. when I try to load a project. I recently installed lazy nezumi pro with the photoshop plugin, so that may be related. If it doesn't crash it still refuses to remain ontop in dDo, and has some weird clicking/loading thing going on so I can't keep the menu open. I closed nezumi pro and it stopped being funny but still refuses to remain ontop. Maybe the way nezumi hooks in is causing an issue?
  • hooblegooblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hooblegooblin polycounter lvl 5

hooblegooblin: Thanks for the screens! The UE4 calibration profiles have all been updated in this latest 1.3 release -- are you still getting this issue?

When I last tried an export for UE4 with 1.3, the textures still appeared darker in-engine than they appeared in 3Do. It could be that I'm just doing something wrong in Unreal 4 if others aren't noticing this. :p
  • OutOfMyMind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OutOfMyMind polycounter lvl 5
    Marmoset Conncetion is not working since 1.3, it doesn`t work in a sense that DDO does not generate material file needed for marmo.
  • Rizzla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a big issue in nDo2.. I install nDo2 and open it up and it opens some box saying to open Photoshop and close it than open up nDo2 to again. When I do that it opens up that box again and I press okay and then it crashes..
    any suggestions guys?
  • MikeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeB polycounter lvl 17
    I've noticed that 3Do can get into a state where it won't update the textures properly, even if you do a force-refresh or re-render the textures.

One case where this happens is after tweaking the dynamask of a layer, 3DO will apply that layer over the entire texture instead of only on the ID's its applied to. Once it does that, if I hide and unhide the layer its applying nothing will change. It seems to be permanently applied over everything.

The textures themselves look correct but 3DO is showing something different. When that happens I solve it by going into the project/previewer folder and deleting the .jpg's that 3DO is using. Once I do that it works fine.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    @MikeB: That happened to me too. I think after restarting photoshop it randomly decided to work again. Not sure what was up with that.

Anybody having the problems with the reimporter not updating any of your original maps?

If i start a project, start texturing, then use the reimporter to update my original maps ( update my color-ID map/normal whatever ) and then go back via Rerender, None of my maps are updated. Its not just in 3do. If i look at the psd's, no changes have taken place.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Bug Report:

UV Overlay option during maps import in the Suite doesnt create UV map layer over all other layers in PS as of 1.3. Not sure if it did before.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Some colours I can't get to mask in ddo. 3DO won't make a mask for them using c+shift+click (it masks some other incorrect part) and the colour also doesn't even seem to get detected or show up in the list of links in the material id. Can definitely see the colours on the colour map in both the texture and the ddo link window (just not in the list).

Anyone else getting this?
  • Smoluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smoluck polycounter lvl 7
    Hello,

I got that error, during my Texturing Process. I've made a Group for defining the Base Texture for the biggest part of my model, but now as I'm taking the Color ID into my Texturing Process, to define a Brass Material on a Specific part by holding "C + Shift" and clicking on the mesh.I got the Material Browser, but after selecting the material desired, i got that error on CS5 x64.
    If i use a different material than the Metal Brass, it works (i can say that i've didn't tried every mat yet so... :poly121:)

Do you know what's wrong ?
    Is that a limitation due to CS5 ?

Beta_ApplyMatThroughColorID_From_Previewer.jpg

my Setup:
    2048² Project on a Win 8.1 / Dual Xeon 5520 2.26Ghz / 30 Go Memory / GeForce GTX 470.

Do there is an Updated ColorChart for the New Quixel Suite ?
    Cause I want to use the most up-to-date color code.

I've made my own Material_Preset in Modo, but you can still use this image ref in ZBrush to paint your vertex color on the HighPoly Mesh. Feel free to use it.

Standard_dDo5_ColorChart_in%20Modo.jpg
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro wrote: »
    Some colours I can't get to mask in ddo. 3DO won't make a mask for them using c+shift+click (it masks some other incorrect part) and the colour also doesn't even seem to get detected or show up in the list of links in the material id. Can definitely see the colours on the colour map in both the texture and the ddo link window (just not in the list).

Anyone else getting this?

Yeah same here. Usually happens on smaller selection areas, reguardless of the texture size. 1 - 4k. happens.
  • Livenda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cannot Get Textures to load (The provided demo projects load fine and load the textures when adding another material) also there seems to be an issue as you can see in the screenshots

ddo_Problem.jpg

ddo_Problem2.jpg

What are the spots on the clean base mat
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys anybody got an idea why this is happening ?
    I checked the box to use textures in the material menu but it's not happening

I'm also getting the "The command "set" is not currently available" think that might be something to do with the bit depth.
    DYMokJf.jpg
  • final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final_fight polycounter lvl 9
    Why mask applies in such a strange way?

Clipboard.png

Is something wrong with normal map?
    low_dsmg_n.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Edit: ok topmost had deselected itself. doh.

The initial suite window is now not remaining on top of my photoshop and closing altogether. when I try to load a project. I recently installed lazy nezumi pro with the photoshop plugin, so that may be related. If it doesn't crash it still refuses to remain ontop in dDo, and has some weird clicking/loading thing going on so I can't keep the menu open. I closed nezumi pro and it stopped being funny but still refuses to remain ontop. Maybe the way nezumi hooks in is causing an issue?

Ok, so I think nezumi pro was causing my 3DO issues as well. Closing it and all works fine again, other than the suite refusing to be topmost (dDo works fine with topmost checked).
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    mikezoo: Ah cheers for confirming, yeah I figured that might have been why. Doh!
  • Jaidek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaidek polycounter lvl 11
    Jaidek wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Anyone else having issues with the latest version of Quixel and Photoshop 13.1.2 x64? My Photoshop was updated today and now when I launch Quixel Suite and click on DDO or NDO, the UI goes away then comes back but no documents are made in PS and nothing really happens. Then if I click on 3DO I get this:

screenshot85_zps0c83eef5.jpg

Any ideas?

Even after installing 1.3, I am still having this issue. I've uninstalled/reinstalled Quixel Suite and still no luck. It's worth mentioning that another artist in our studio, who is running the same version of PS, is experiencing the same issue. The Suite just won't work.
  • JakeZetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JakeZetter polycounter lvl 7
    My problem isn't with the product but with the way the sites handle payment. My card won't work even though. I get an error. When I go to the verified by visa site I get a broken 12 year old page.
    Payment declined Refused by acquirer.
    Try again or choose another payment type.

fixed it chase hadn't update my info through their system
  • boumay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boumay polycounter lvl 6
    Why mask applies in such a strange way?

Clipboard.png

Is something wrong with normal map?
    low_dsmg_n.jpg

This!
    It is important to know how to better deal with effect placement, and understand how it behaves.
  • final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final_fight polycounter lvl 9
    boumay wrote: »
    This!
    It is important to know how to better deal with effect placement, and understand how it behaves.

It happens only with Black Gun Metal and Scuffed Gun Metal materials, but with Metal Edge Wear material it works as OK.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this has been repeated a couple times in this thread but I thought i would also mention that iam running into the Error 8800, and other photoshop errors.

ddo-errors.jpg

Some times its happens when playing with dyanamask but always happens when i try to export my textures out. Happens on both CS5 and CS6 and with both 1.3 and 1.2 of the quixel suit.

Is there a version of photoshop that is more compatible with the Quixel suit than others?

thanks!
  • darthjosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darthjosh polycounter lvl 3
    mikezoo

I have the same problem while trying to export my textures. I have tried it out on CS5 and CS6 and I get the same error. I looked online to see why I would get it and I found some information alluding to an image needing to be 8 bit and I tried to change my textures to 8 bit from 16 and it still didn't work. I started a new project with 8 bit and that didn't work either. I don't have access to the creative cloud photoshop so I haven't been able to try that out. But hopefully they fix this in 1.4.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Sythen wrote: »
    Quixel Suite 1.3 is having an issue regarding Megascans, I've tried all materials and it creates the material and it's respective reflectance values - but no textures. I've made sure the checkbox to use textures is on,

Help?

I'm having the same problem. I think we just have to wait for a fix.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Product/Account question:

So I bought nDo 2 and dDo before the Quixel Suite announcement, and I remember there's some sort of transfer thing going on for the previous versions to get it all updated to the Quixel Suite?

What do I need to provide to get started on this transition?
  • MikeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeB polycounter lvl 17
    @mikezoo: Yeah it was really weird. If you get stuck in a loop where restarting won't fix it, just delete the .jpg's in the previewer folder of your project. That seemed to fix it everytime.

Is anyone else having difficulties getting update 1.3? I've uninstalled the suite, restarted the computer and the updater still doesn't give me the option to update to 1.3. Update 1.2 is still the latest update the updater shows.
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheAxiom polycounter lvl 3
    I'm having a similar issue to the previous poster. My masks are being extremely weird, making it impossible for me to add edge wear. I made the normals in nDo so they should be fine.

2F2Bxdr.png

BdmZfB2.png

RHPzmuT.png
  • boumay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boumay polycounter lvl 6
    It happens only with Black Gun Metal and Scuffed Gun Metal materials, but with Metal Edge Wear material it works as OK.

For me, the problem occurs with all kind of materials, I posted an example before.
  • boumay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boumay polycounter lvl 6
    TheAxiom wrote: »
    I'm having a similar issue to the previous poster. My masks are being extremely weird, making it impossible for me to add edge wear. I made the normals in nDo so they should be fine.

2F2Bxdr.png

BdmZfB2.png

RHPzmuT.png

This also...
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Product/Account question:

So I bought nDo 2 and dDo before the Quixel Suite announcement, and I remember there's some sort of transfer thing going on for the previous versions to get it all updated to the Quixel Suite?

What do I need to provide to get started on this transition?

At the moment it's an open beta, so you don't need anything, but once the final product is released you'll need your Quixel login.
  • MikeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeB polycounter lvl 17
    Lots more questions from me...

Is there a way to save out materials without having to manually gather all the referenced files? Trying to transfer materials from one workstation to another is a bit of a hassle when I have to gather all the files myself.

Is there a way to setup how the "Export" saves out maps? We're working with cryengine and need to combine maps like this: gloss in specular alpha or emisive in diffuse alpha.

Can you save out default settings for 3Do?
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    How do I custom paint on top of everything? I need to add an image detail to the map
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    So as a couple other people have noted, since the latest update there seems to be an issue with the MegaScans right now; the values show up, but the actual image maps don't. What's weird is that I rolled back to the previous version of dDo, where previously it worked fine, and that didn't fix it. Anyone know what's up?

How do I custom paint on top of everything? I need to add an image detail to the map

You can just make a standard Photoshop layer. It won't break if you put it in the wrong place the way it used to.
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheAxiom polycounter lvl 3
    MikeB wrote: »
    Is there a way to save out materials without having to manually gather all the referenced files? Trying to transfer materials from one workstation to another is a bit of a hassle when I have to gather all the files myself.

Is there a way to setup how the "Export" saves out maps? We're working with cryengine and need to combine maps like this: gloss in specular alpha or emisive in diffuse alpha.

Can you save out default settings for 3Do?

I recommend you hover over the buttons that are available. The first one above your layers is an export button, it allows you to save out all your textures in whatever image format you want and for whatever engine you want. You can choose CryEngine, Last Gen, EU4, Unity, etc. You can also choose that at the start when adding maps, there's a drop down list there too.
This discussion has been closed.