Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] - Outworld Destroyer - Dragon Armour

Hi guys,
The excellent coridium and myself are going to do a collab entry for this competition. I have been enjoying lurking in here and looking at the other entries. Some exciting stuff so far!

We have opted for Outworld Destroyer as we both like his look and palette and he has not had too much attention so far.

To get the ball rolling here are my rough concepts so far:

rough thumbs to find broad shapes that we both like:

thumbs-1.jpg

I have worked two of these up a bit (from thumb6):
wip6-1.jpg
wip9.jpg

Feedback is of course welcomed :)
Cheers
Jake

Replies

• BttLsht
    First of a better name should be given,The redisgen for number six is pretty much what you should go

wip6-1.jpg

Now OD is a gaint stone gryphon not a gargoyle (Visage), now you should make him more spikey and less round shaped.
    I cant really criticize too much because this is near perfact for me.
  • foeffa
    #6 looks baller! I like OD, I will like him a lot more if he looks like this. :)
  • cakeypigdog
    wip10.jpg
    Have taken our concept a bit further. Still a fair bit more to do but I feel like things are taking shape.

BttLsht: thanks for the feedback :) I want to keep some curves as our (potential) story is that he has taken on some traits from a dragon he has absorbed. I have worked a bit more to transition the smoother pieces into the more rock like structures. His face is the most resolved area on the latest concept so I guess that best represents how angular he will look...

oeffa: thanks very much :)
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    The wings look a bit beetle or insect like to me, maybe because they don't connect to the body itself. I think it'd be cool if you could add the shape that you have in spine at the spaces where the wings would connect like this:

Ox98F.jpg

The shoulders and head look awesome as does the bottom of the staff, but the top of the staff looks kinda simple compared to the bottom. You also change from smooth, curved lines on the bottom part to sharp angular forms at the top, is this on purpose?
  • Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Jake and everyone else!

Thanks for the posts so far some great feedback. I also like the way the new head has a little more rocky angular forms as its really starting to tie in nicely.

After Jake created the first 6 thumbnails (first image at the top of this thread) I created a feedback sheet that I sent to him (via e-mail). The concept has moved on quite a lot since this feedback was written but we feel that even though its a little out of date we want to share as much stuff as possible with the community. So here it is...

conceptthougthsandideas.jpg

Cheers again
    Chris
  • Mavell Duceau
    Well hot diggity. Very nice concept so far, I'm likening the idea of a deep space Outworld dragon type thing.
    Should turn out good!
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    This looks good! Will the shapes be smooth like the concept, or will you add cracking obsidian?
  • cakeypigdog
    Hi all,
    Here is the pretty much done concept.
    wip11.jpg

Chris and I are going to try and show as much of our dialogue between each other through our process as possible. This initial concept will act as a starting block for the modelling phase next but I will be chipping in with little extra bits of concepting and iterations as we go along.

I can't wait to see where you take this Chris!

C&C is welcomed guys so chip in with any crits etc.
    I went from 2 to 4 eyes and back again so many time while working up the head :)
    I like the curve idea on the front of the face a lot: think it adds more attitude to the face.

Spudnik: I went with your input and added the pieces to the back. I have repeated the motif a few times across the design. Thanks for the crit :)

Mavell: Thanks very much :)

Nannou: I have fleshed the concept out now. We are going for much more curvature than the standard OD set but I have tried to integrate this with the cracked obsidian motif where I can.
  • ACap
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Very well, guys. Very promising concept. Though I would recommend not to make those tiny black stripes on the green cracks - I think in 256/256 resulution they will become a noise.Try to concentrate on readability from the distance, rather than those beautiful tiny details) Great concept so far. Keep it up!
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
    ACap wrote: »
    Very well, guys. Very promising concept. Though I would recommend not to make those tiny black stripes on the green cracks - I think in 256/256 resulution they will become a noise.Try to concentrate on readability from the distance, rather than those beautiful tiny details) Great concept so far. Keep it up!

Great tip you got there! :)

that Destro is looking nice!
  • Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,

Both Jake and I have been super busy of late but we have been trying to fit in doing work on this whenever and wherever we can. :)

I have to say its been a really great experience collaborating on this, I hope to put together an image explaining how we went from the concept that's above to the images you can see below. It has involved a lot of back and forth between me and Jake. I would sculpt something send it to Jake he would do some work send it back and so on. It has meant however we have moved way from the concept quite a bit but that was always part of the plan, the concept was just a starting point for us both...

Anyway have a look and see what you think
    highpolyhead.jpg
    highpolylineshead.jpg
    highpolysculpt.jpg
    highpolylines.jpg

Hope you guys and gals like it, C&C welcome of course. :poly121:

Cheers
    Chris
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking great. Nice, clean sculpts. Awesome renders too btw. Looking forward to the bakes and textures.
  • Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Caldria! Will be finishing of the bakes tonight, so hopefully will have something to show soon. :)
  • Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,

As previously talked about, I have finnally managed to put together a big image (sorry if its slow) to show how we went from the concept to the final design. I hope that some people find it interesting, I imagine that it will be pretty obvious to most of you but hopefully someone might find it interesting.

3dprocess.jpg

Also here is the first low poly bake (its missing the tail but there is budget left to add that) Also there is a few verts on the silhouette that I am not happy with and the ingame tests have raised a few issues but I think that they should be easily sorted.

normalaooutworld.jpg

I have made a start on the texturing with a base texture for all 3 pieces, we will be working these up over the next few days so should have something to show very soon. :)

C&C Welcome as always.

Cheers
    Chris
  • eazy
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, this looks great! I'm excited to see the finished product
  • Neoncypher
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
    "Peekaboo! Lol" Hahaha properly cracked me up that Chris!

Looking great so far guys - the head shape kinda reminds me of the aliens from Pitch Black a little bit - looking forward to seeing how this progresses!
  • Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    Eazy - Thanks very much!

Adam - Thanks for the comment mate, yeah I guess the colour scheme and spiky vibe gives it some similarities to pitch black.

So cakeypigdog did a nice quick lunchtime concept of the weapon and I sculpted it over the last night or 2. Here is the resulting high poly...

weaponhp.jpg

C&C Welcome as always. :)

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Kien
    Variant 2 and 5 heads were so much cooler looking =/
  • Strange
    Kien wrote: »
    Variant 2 and 5 heads were so much cooler looking =/

I disagree, the current heads has a much better silhouette and is more "otherworldly and regal". 2 and 5 are too reminiscent of insects or animals: unfitting of the Outworld Destroyer!

The sculpting looks fantastic and this set is truly unique while simultaneously giving more character to the hero.

Great work and craftsmanship. Keep it up.
  • Kien
    Ye but that's a dragon armor, so it should remind you of dragon, no? Current one looks like a rock on a rock which is on another rock lol. Variant 2 or 5 were fitting *dragon* theme the most tbh...
  • Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    Kien - Thanks for the comments. We decided to go for head variant 2 because it had a more agressive look, I understand what you mean about the dragon but as you will see we have changed the idea of the armour slightly. Its now Dragon forged Armour, we made this change during the development of the high poly. Anyway hope you like the textured version.

Strange - Thank you for the comments and support!

So I have been working pretty hard to try and finish this on time, here is the final images...

Final Submission...
    dragonforgedarmourfinal.jpg

Ingame shots...
    ingameradiant.jpg
    ingamedire.jpg[/URL]

Workshop link...
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?edit=true&id=111353345

Hope you guys and gals like it.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • cakeypigdog
    Well done chris! You really pulled ut all the stops mate, brilliant work mr!
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Good work guys. Excellent concepts and sculpts:)
  • Neoncypher
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
    That's awesome, brilliant work guys! :D
  • TheMajor
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMajor polycounter lvl 10
    Love the choice of colours and emissive details! Stella work guys!
  • Grimmstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great guys, I've been following this for a while and its awesome to see that you got it finished. I hardly know anything about Dota though so I withheld giving you any feedback.

One thing I didn't notice though is on the in game shots, the tail doesn't seem to have the emmisive gradient that the beauty shot does. Is this a bug or something you've added to the beauty shot in photoshop.
  • cakeypigdog
    ENODMI: thanks very much!
    Neoncypher: Cheers, much appreciated!
    TheMajor: Thanks, Chris added the metalic gold idea, he did such a great job with it all. Working collaboratively on this has been really cool: pushing forward a design on two fronts at once. I can't wait to do it again. Nature's Prophet will most like be our next character.
    Grimmstrom: Thanks very much! Chris will have to answer you on that one, I have no idea!
  • bryanvlo
    Registered just to ask about this - any news from Valve? Really hope this gets in.
  • Razia
    Offline / Send Message
    Razia polycounter lvl 3
    It has been added if I'm not mistaken. What program did you use to sculpt like that. I'm absolutely amazed at this set as he's my favourite hero.

Any chance of a tutorial on creating items. Your process seems so interesting compared to the other.