Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character (looking for concept)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
razz polycounter lvl 9
Hi all!

I'm in need of a neat concept or I'll have to draw something myself. Want something with armor and swords and stuff. Any ideas?

Here's the very start of the sculpt. It can go anywhere from here.
3JjnqYn.jpg

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Spend some time on ArtStation, DrawCrowd, or Pinterest. Lots of cool stuff there.
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks, PyrZern! I did just that. Got some inspiration from there and quickly made something myself.

Very rough, but I'll do the rest in 3d.
    CdCS7hJ.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ok, that's pretty damn cool!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Daaaaayum ! Coool stuff you put together there ! Like, this is really nice.
    Lemme pin that concept of yours back onto Pinterest :P
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Torchp, thanks a lot!!

PyrZern, I'm glad you like it! Moved into 3d now and still making some changes to the design, but at least I have something to work from. Thanks!

Sorry for the wait, things have been moving slowly, because I've been learning loads of zbrush while doing this. Some things are still very much work in progress, while other parts are more or less done. Here you go
    fAzX9dp.jpg
    qAgl4lm.jpg

Any tips, tricks, suggestions and critique welcome ;]
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    I think you should slightly reduce the giant protector-things you got on the vambraces, they look a tad silly right now. Maybe angle them like you had it on the concept.

You might wanna consider something to protect the eyes a bit on the helmet. Like some kind of metalic-net-shape thing (thinking Kendo/Fencing protective headgear). Or just make the slits a bit less big. Seems a little to open right now.

The Lion shoulder looks a bit too noble to me for a gladiator-style, the one you drew felt a bit more fitting, maybe with some nice etchings?

Otherwise quite badass :D
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Xaragoth, thanks for the critique! I fixed up most of the stuff you mentioned, all except the lion head. I feel the need to keep it because it makes the silhouette more interesting and the dude is not necessarily a gladiator. Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated!

Alright, finally something new! Just the body for now, but I've almost kind of finished the upper body armor and started on the lower.
    Let me know if anything stands out. Also, yes, I have body and legs separate, long story..
    l9WKjur.jpg
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Alright, way too long without an update. My apologies.

Worked on most of the sculpt, still need a detail and fix pass on the body/face and everything below the waist is a block-in. Cheers!

P.S. Any way I can change the title of the thread?

3SwUBv0.jpg
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    those lion heads have become the hip fashion of characters in the last weeks it seems :D:D

awesome concept and details!
    what are those patterns on his skin? or is it bad compression :P
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Skodone, guilty ;D But I guess making a warrior dude is not so original in the first place. Seen very few that have a really unique design. This thing is teaching me so much though!
    The pattern on his skin is sort of a rendering/compression error, it's not on the sculpt.
    Thanks for stopping by!

Not to have a post without pictures, here's new lower body stuff. Shin guards is a little nod to the Witcher. Block-in done, I can start sculpting.
    YVz7eIV.jpg
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, so, need to go give him a few scars and a weapon (what kind, hmm?) and then on to the low res version.

pv81EKt.jpg
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    I have started working on the game res model, just the main body for now. Would appreciate any and all feedback about topology. Got a bunch of triangles, some stretched polys too...
    8QDpkjL.jpg
    And weapons. Shield's design from dark souls, with a few tweaks.
    2fSrjD8.jpg
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking great so far!
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks, CJE!

Head retopo
    YnJeUQF.jpg

Base texture for the mace
    HbyVclZ.jpg
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, this took some time. Here's the full model in low res. Currently stands at ~30500 tris. There are areas I could save some polys, but does anything really stand out?

Going to UV next, so c&c most welcome!

GVhvaUn.jpg
    ySC9199.jpg
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    The only thing that stands out at first glance is the spaulder area. You could reduce the density quite a bit. Other than that, it looks pretty good razz!

Subscribed, I'll follow your progress on this one. :)
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks, Pascal! Reduced it by a 1000 triangles, haha. The whole character now doesn't reach 30k triangles.

On to textures! Base textures done. Much more work awaits, but it sure is fun to do some painting after all the 3d. As always, c&c much appreciated.
    sfAwqIa.png
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Slowly getting there...Just need to make the hair, an alpha map for the cloth and most likely relight the whole thing. Oh, and pose him too. And move on to another project!

7DynZ4s.png
  • Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Are you using marmoset toolbag 2?
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Swaggernaut, yes I am. Looking into UE4 as well, but I'll keep that for my next project.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    This is awfully spec-y/glossy. What do your maps look like for those? Is this Spec or Metalness workflow?

Shaping up well, though.
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    BagelHero, there you go. Think bloom is not helping there as well. I'll be doing the lighting from scratch and shading is still in the works. I'd appreciate any feedback on the maps.

Gloss, dif, spec, in that order.
    OdGmnVZ.jpg

Here's a no lights version
    Dq8hnFt.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hm, alrighty. Technically, if you want to go physically accurate (In this case I do believe it will help), nothing on that spec map should have colored spec except the metals. Non-metals tend to keep to a relatively flat value, read more here.
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory

At the very least, I'd suggest desaturating anything that isn't metal, but at best I'd also darken and flatten the value range anything non-metal significantly, too. You probably don't need so much variance for dirt and details, either, because giving exception to dirt-on-metal, a lot of those details would have an extremely similar reflectance value. All this keeping in mind that while it would have been acceptable with old methods or engines, Toolbag 2 is calibrated for PBR workflows.

It's turning everything into a kinda-metal, where it's darkening your albedo/diff and coloring the reflections instead. Laymans terms, possibly a little muddled, but basically what it's taking that colored spec info and doing.

I can't really comment on the gloss before you fix this, because I can't be sure the gloss input is what's causing it right now.
  • Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    @BagelHero Thx for this tuto ! it's a good think to understand
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    BagelHero, thanks for the tuts! I did read one of them a few days ago, but I guess the information didn't sink in yet. Feel like I should make something smaller and really go all in on all the PBR things. Thanks again for the help!

Poinball, not bad indeed ;]

There we go. I'll be calling this one DONE! Unless there's something really hurting your eyeballs. Will be rendering a turnaround sometime later. I'll try and go for a smaller project next, that should be a relief ;]

OCm1zP4.png
    y694ari.png
    C4MVz6c.png