Home Technical Talk

Weld multiple splines together in 3ds Max

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Axi5 interpolator
Hey there,

I don't suppose there's any way to merge more than 2 spline vertex's together in 3ds Max is there?

Quick demo, something like this:
8efa7216d912adddb05587f1a98bfebf.png

My end goal is to run a sweep modifier on it.

All of the vertex's that are being welded are end points so there aren't any T/intersections. I would have thought Max might have a way of handling this without resorting to manually editing the topology.

The model I'm working on has a lot of complex splines that need to be connected, it's just a lot harder to fix in editable poly mode.

Edit:
I just realised that the title of my post seems like I'm offering a solution to this problem rather than requesting help, can't change it now unfortunately, sorry for any inconveniences.

Replies

• PixelsGenerated
    I'm also very curious about this, but i don't think it will ever work because of all the different factors.

But if somehow or someone knows how to work around this please do tell us! You will be rewarded with many many many internet cookies!
  • Mark Dygert
    A spline is an object that is a straight line, so you can't weld a diverging spline to the middle of another one. At best you can make a V with a separate line in the middle that intersects. Then you can check on the "Union Intersections" option inside of the Sweep modifier to join the meshes together wherever there are intersections.

Depending on the shape that you sweep over there will probably be some cleanup work but it's normally pretty minimal compared to doing it all by hand in edit poly and its a lot cleaner than ProBooleans. A lot more flexible too because you can go back down to the spline object and add/remove/adjust the splines and the sweep modifier recalculates the intersections.
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    A spline is an object that is a straight line, so you can't weld a diverging spline to the middle of another one. At best you can make a V with a separate line in the middle that intersects. Then you can check on the "Union Intersections" option inside of the Sweep modifier to join the meshes together wherever there are intersections.

Depending on the shape that you sweep over there will probably be some cleanup work but it's normally pretty minimal compared to doing it all by hand in edit poly and its a lot cleaner than ProBooleans. A lot more flexible too because you can go back down to the spline object and add/remove/adjust the splines and the sweep modifier recalculates the intersections.

Yeah this seems to be the best way of doing it, it's sort of a shame but I agree with you and PixelsGenerated, it's just not the way splines work.

Thanks for the help (:

EDIT:

This has ended up as somewhat a happy accident, without any cleanup at all the mesh looks like it's just been subject to manufacturing processes:
    c78eb0eeebfe574cfe48d6edea5087c9.png

I'm a happy bee.