Home Technical Talk

3DS Max - Overlapping Objects

Hello Guys

First of all let me say, that I'm fairly inexperienced so the answer might be obvious. :)

I'm modeling a Spaceship for a game, now I'm about to model the cockpit. I've modeled this as a separate object and just put it in the correct position. Both objects (The body and the cockpit) are intersecting each other.
Will this be a problem later on in the process, when baking the normal map or in the game engine?

Sure there are some polygons hidden underneath the cockpit and it doesn't feel clean. But in the end, if I would cut a whole in the body of the ship and then attach the cockpit properly I would end up with a lot more polys I feel.

Replies

• Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Not a problem. And if it causes an issue (ugly artifacts or whatever) when baking then explode that part before you bake.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a lot of things that would factor into "is this correct" or not.

1st off I'm a little confused by your termenology, do you mean "canopy" as in the glass/plastic piece that opens and closes or the cockpit as in the internal structure where the pilot sits, where the instruments are and all that? Or both?

Will the canopy open and close? Will you see inside? If not one contiguous piece is probably best.

Will you bake the cockpit/canopy as one piece with the rest of the body? If so then one contiguous piece is probably best.

In general a handful of polys isn't going to impact performance that much and it will probably be easier to work with, bake better smooth properly ect...

In general clipping meshes can flicker and "z-fighting" on some engines.

But all that can be thrown out the window by things that aren't stated, so it really depends on what you plan to do with the area, how it is going to be displayed, how it is designed and what hardware it will be displayed on.
  • amokk_gw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses.

Yes, it's some kind of canopy that is static, so it can't be open and the opacity is 100%, so no transparence. Just some nice reflections. :)

Yes, I plan to bake out the whole ship at once in xNormal. The low-poly model should stay around 1000 polys and currently the cockpit resides on maybe 4-6 polys. If I would attach it completely seamless, I'd probably end up with some additional Edgeloops, that I either have to terminate in triangles/NGons or end up with a lot of unnecessary geometry.