Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• cottonwings
    Congrats for those who got their items in this week, it's interesting to see how Valve releases set by their primary attributes. Does that mean we're getting an INT set chests? Hmmm we'll see.. :)

I haven't been active in the forums recently, rough times are rough. However, I got myself in the right mood to redesign my Lich set (again). Here presenting Shiva Lich, version 3!

VQSBCBe.jpg

As you can see, my love for Hindu mythology is endless. This design is free for grabs, please let me know if you're interested, I really love to see this happen! <3
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    I'm having an issue with skinning my LC sword(just testing the form in-game with no texture at the moment).
    TTnNo8k.jpg
    It's 100% skinned to weapon_0 as her workshop page says it should be and I'm making sure it is perfectly placed along the placement of her stock weapon before I attach it to the bone. The thing is that it looks like it is attached to her bones in-game because when she changes animations the sword shifts 90 degrees and doesn't move at all(in other words even if she is running it does not bob up and down) so it looks like it's attached but stuck on the floor in a single position. Does anyone know what could be the issue here?
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    darkkyo wrote: »
    I'm having an issue with skinning my LC sword(just testing the form in-game with no texture at the moment).
    TTnNo8k.jpg
    It's 100% skinned to weapon_0 as her workshop page says it should be and I'm making sure it is perfectly placed along the placement of her stock weapon before I attach it to the bone. The thing is that it looks like it is attached to her bones in-game because when she changes animations the sword shifts 90 degrees and doesn't move at all(in other words even if she is running it does not bob up and down) so it looks like it's attached but stuck on the floor in a single position. Does anyone know what could be the issue here?

I'm pretty sure its just not properly rigg. Rig the weapon a 2nd time with a new bone and try again. If that doesn't work. It may be how you exported the file.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    Some WIP on this BB flail im working with Hawt. this is the base_mesh, any C&C?

g4OBzf3.png
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure its just not properly rigg. Rig the weapon a 2nd time with a new bone and try again. If that doesn't work. It may be how you exported the file.

I've re-rigged it several more times since you wrote this and nothing yet. :/
    It's so frustrating because rigging an entire weapon to one bone should be the easiest thing going.
    MvIeU98.jpg
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Try deleting the temporary folders where the importer puts the compiled files
    (that would be dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\nameofthehero\0x0XXXXXXX)
    , and also try giving a new name to the item on import (in the first text input field of the item importer). You might have fixed the issue in your smd/fbx already, but the game might just be loading an old one instead ...
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Hey

I'm making a venomancer set. Now for venomancer the ward slot doesn't come in "ability" section it actually comes in "wearable items" and has it's own bones and stuff, but when I import it, this is what happens:

1z5n7dz.jpg

and when I test it in-game, the ward is still the default one:

2nlwkk.jpg

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it? :(
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    as far as i have seen the other veno sets had the same problems as u. nobody did provide an ingame shot of the wards, they only displayed marmoset renders
  • Aris Atherton
    The same thing happens when you try to upload the True Form for Lone Druid, as it is also a "wearable item". It also happens when you try to test the Summon, the bear, with the rest of the set by adding it to the "additional items" when testing. No clue why.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Reza I do belive there is easy fix for this. You need to check where are located default models/materials for Veno ward and what are the names. Than you need to compile your ward under the same name IN GAME as usual and than move its files from dota/models/items/venomancer/^&*^121/ward_name to dota/models/heroes/venomancer. Same for materials and you should be golden :)
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    u also have to add: -override_vpk to ur dota start options
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shock True. Thanks for pointing it out. I completely forgot about mentioning this. Anyway Reza please report if that helped in any way, because there is also other way to manually compile the ward model but that I believe will not be necessary.
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Try deleting the temporary folders where the importer puts the compiled files
    (that would be dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\nameofthehero\0x0XXXXXXX)
    , and also try giving a new name to the item on import (in the first text input field of the item importer). You might have fixed the issue in your smd/fbx already, but the game might just be loading an old one instead ...
    Just tried this and still no luck... thanks anyways :)

I guess I'll play around with export options? I tried exporting in both smd and fbx and neither worked, which one should I be doing?

Edit: I just tried something. With the bones from the official model download from the dota workshop I re-skinned the stock weapon that it came with and it did this as well...
    Ee3Sl36.jpg

So I'm guessing it's either related to the bone or skinning it...

Edit2: GOT IT I think!
    eepikI2.jpg
    Even though the stock weapon was only tied to weapon_0 and thats the only bone the workshop specifies, I also had to attach it to root_0 bone with no weight. Weird stuff :P
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Well, they do say weapon_0 should be the 'primary' bone.

All items need attached to root, because all bones are attached to root. It gives a link between start and end point.

Even in TF2 I got to the point where I add all bones to the rigged item and only weight the needed ones.
    Source film maker is prime example. The root 0's out position same as the model, then the chain of bones to the required bone keeps all coords in synch.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Baddcog wrote: »

All items need attached to root, because all bones are attached to root. It gives a link between start and end point.

Even in TF2 I got to the point where I add all bones to the rigged item and only weight the needed ones.
    Source film maker is prime example. The root 0's out position same as the model, then the chain of bones to the required bone keeps all coords in synch.

I find it best sometimes to decompile models added to the game when possibel, decompile a cust weapon, and have exactly the bones you need :thumbup:
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »

That makes sense though I guess I don't recall doing it for many of my past items... Also, the stock weapon came skinned ONLY to weapon_0, so you can see how it would be confusing.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    The next question is: will single item chests continue? I guess we should expect to see one this month too. Maybe around mid of the month.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Konras wrote: »
    @Shock True. Thanks for pointing it out. I completely forgot about mentioning this. Anyway Reza please report if that helped in any way, because there is also other way to manually compile the ward model but that I believe will not be necessary.

Well it now comes correctly in preview tab with no animation or overlay and when I check it in game, still the default wards show up:

no9c1y.jpg

[IMG]u also have to add: -override_vpk to ur dota start options[/IMG]

I did it, but what does it do exactly?

Thanks for your help guys
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    @Reza this commands told Dota 2 to load all content first from the game folders and later from vpk files. So If you put your compiled ward with same name for files as default Veno ward it will be replaced and you will be able to see it in normal Dota2 game or practice game after using Veno skill :)
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Konras wrote: »
    @Reza this commands told Dota 2 to load all content first from the game folders and later from vpk files. So If you put your compiled ward with same name for files as default Veno ward it will be replaced and you will be able to see it in normal Dota2 game or practice game after using Veno skill :)

I see but why can't I see that now? :(
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Ok I got it in game with no animations :)
    25u1nnm.jpg

The problem was that I chose a different name and copied the folder instead of the files.
  • SemiColonThree
    For preview purposes, I got mine to work with animations by uploading it in lycan wolves ability uploader. I then went in the in game files copied the lycan mdl files, vtx etc and replaced them with the venomancer stock ward files.

restarted game and it worked.

For more acurate animations, I also tried importing it under the shadow shaman wards.. which share all the same animations, but for some reason the model appears red and transparent when i replace the files, i dont know how to get rid of that.
    Reza wrote: »
    Ok I got it in game with no animations :)
    25u1nnm.jpg

The problem was that I chose a different name and copied the folder instead of the files.
  • bladeshot
    Offline / Send Message
    bladeshot polycounter lvl 5
    Heck yeah! Finally! It's been 2 years since my last accepted item :D

Cosmetic_icon_Dragonterror.png?version=12e56c9781af5c74ff82ffaa1e3b3538
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    I was checking it out ingame. Clean work mate. Quite the achievement for you!
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Guys which one of these 2 top-bottom gradient would u suggest? and why? Thanks

219pavt.jpg
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Would suggest the first one, since the gradient is supposed to follow the body, not each item itself. The reason you need the gradient is because of the top light there is in dota, so you have the gradient for it to make sense composed with the lightning.
  • bounchfx
    I feel a mixture of both would be optimal. You should definitely have the brightest parts towards the top & most important aspects of the hero, I would say pretty much 60% of #2 40% of number 1. If that makes sense. :)

however, it is hard to say anything definitive without seeing the actual textures.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    First one because the art guideline PDF's tell you so.
  • Akaime
    Offline / Send Message
    Akaime polycounter lvl 4
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    I dig the staff! With the right shading that would be sweet. The fur might be a bit small and look noisy. Try to match the size of the fur on her legs. I know fur is timeconsuming, but i hope you have the motivation to go over it.
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    @rezza if you wanted a kinda double gradient like what you have going with #2 (which could be quite nice) just make sure the value of the lightest part on the shoulders isn't as bright as the tips of the poison things at the top of your model like you have in #2. So overall you still have the light to dark gradient from top to bottom but you get to push it a bit more to make some parts pop a bit more. It's a balancing act...
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the diffuse textures for that ice morph I'm working on with Danidem.
    2b225c18cf.jpg

Also here is a test with them in the game.
    Just gotta finish the skinning and lods! http://www.gfycat.com/FriendlyOrganicAfricanaugurbuzzard
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    woah suuper nice ! The texturing is great! eyes feel a little wide ?? love the colors!!
  • bladeshot
    Offline / Send Message
    bladeshot polycounter lvl 5
    2b225c18cf.jpg

Just gotta finish the skinning and lods! http://www.gfycat.com/FriendlyOrganicAfricanaugurbuzzard

Dayum! 10/10 would buy. Only suggestions I have is to make eye slightly smaller.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta, I know what you mean. Morphs eyes are super far apart to begin with. I might move them.

I shrunk the back eye a bit. Thanks!

Also if anyone cares, I uploaded a decimated obj of the highpoly sculpt. You guys can do whatever you want with it.
    http://dropcanvas.com/#0AUHNCwnGh6fWw
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Boonta, I know what you mean. Morphs eyes are super far apart to begin with. I might move them.

I shrunk the back eye a bit. Thanks!

Also if anyone cares, I uploaded a decimated obj of the highpoly sculpt. You guys can do whatever you want with it.
    http://dropcanvas.com/#0AUHNCwnGh6fWw

Oh wow, that is actually super cool of you! I'm definitely going to look into it to see some of your sculpting, which was freaking sweet last time I saw it on stream. Thank you!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    2b225c18cf.jpg

If you can get the eye on the back animated to be looking around it would really push the design even further, really love how this one is turning out. :thumbup:
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks everyone :)
  • Chemical Alia
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Here's a Clockwerk set I finished with Drysocket this week! The other head is the "default", but I'm linking to the other one cause we like it better v:

This one was kind of a beatdown on some parts, not totally sure why, but designing for the Keen Folk heroes is by far the most fun for me.

loadingscreen2_small_by_chemicalalia-d7l3ilu.png

Here's a turnaround and high-poly:

turnaround_styles_by_chemicalalia-d7lh0h7.png

characterstrip2_by_chemicalalia-d7ijaye.png
  • bounchfx
    Chem that came out AWESOME. I especially like the new 'Cogs' you guys did and the back piece.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Wooow nice set! :D nice work guys!
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Technically great but it loses A LOT of clock's original color palette from game view. I think if you made the helmet red, it would go a long way towards solving that.
  • Pastat7
    Hi guys, just an idea prosition for Any creative blocked concept artist. Try to picture kunkka with Crosbow on his back, Albatros around his neck and beaten and bruised from to many days floating on the sea
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    2b225c18cf.jpg

Wow this is really amazing!
    Also nice texture work, blend in really well!
  • MapleRabbit
    Mark.N wrote: »
    No actually it is possible to do cloth effects on any hero, whether or not they have a cloth based item by default. Point in case: [DOTA2] Phantom Lancer Feathered Naginata Soft Body Physics Test - YouTube

That being said I still don't think it's a good idea to utilize cloth.

Cloth based items require far more of a memory budget than normal items (strike one), they require the base hero to be completely recompiled and also the animations potentially require some cleaning (strike two), and they're buggy as all hell in their current form and a real pain in the ass to make for heroes/slots that aren't already cloth based (strike three).

When/if Valve ever decide to support custom cloth (officially of course, all of these effects are doable in the games current form), or other custom assets like particles and animations (taunts), then I would start worrying about whether or not the item you designed needs such effects. But for now, I would not design any item that just needs custom effects to work. Stick to making good art.

-EDIT- A caveat to strike two above as well. Every custom item with cloth requires new bones. These bones need to be added to the skeleton of the base hero in order for cloth to work in its current form. This means that for every custom cloth item added the hero needs at least one more extra bone, in most cases 4-5 is probably more accurate (at least). The Source engine (StudioMDL) has a hard limit on the number of bones a .SMD can make use of. This is 128 (Dota NPCs in-game also have a limit of 52). The average dota hero already uses around 60 bones for their stock skeleton and items, some more some less. (You see the issue here right?)

As more players create cloth items for a hero the overall number of bones on said hero increases to the point where the engine can no longer accommodate the rig and therefore the number of cloth items a hero can make use of is limited.

Hi, I've followed your tutorial on creating cloth simulation, it works but there is one issue

I use one simple model to test this out
    skeleton hirachy:
    Root->C_R0C0->C_R1C0->C_R2C0
    bone.jpg

(bone created by max, default settings, no furthur edit, screen shot not taked in max because my max broken for now)

The cloth simulation works, but the problem is, the bone angle seems not right
    Im using a 360 degree anti-clockwise animation to test this out, the animation is simple, just the Root node rotating
    No matter how parent node rotates, the cloth just keep facing one side.
    (GIF attached)
    r360_optimized.gif

Anyone know whats wrong with it?
    Thank you in advances!:)

(source and compiled model attached)
  • archie
    Hey I have resubmit an improved version of the axe, hope you guys like it~ :)

Click the pic to go to the item link ~
    C0BA5BBA4FA4B3ADA548E152C495EE6BDF41C140
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have been working on something completely new for sometime. Based on a concept from a new artist, I finished putting in the main features of this Sven set. Next step is refining, detailing and working on the weapon. I would like to point out that the armor is of a stone type and not metal.

VmUam9O.jpg

I believe this is my best work yet and would like to know how you guys feel about it.
  • MajerRoom
    Thanks very much for the good news like this.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Technically great but it loses A LOT of clock's original color palette from game view. I think if you made the helmet red, it would go a long way towards solving that.

I thought otherwise until I just watched a Dota Cinema video where they use this Clockwerk set in an actual game and I have to agree. There really needs to be some red accents on the helmet or at least pushed more on the rocket launcher or shoulder to tie it more into Clock's original colours.
  • archie
    hey guys check out my new legion commander wep, hope you guys like it~
    EF1C8D51A6880A8D201B376A4578AC2A558C5D3E