Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Windrunner – Heaven Guardian

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Stranger1988 polycounter lvl 12
Hi all! Start work. I will draw a set of armor for Windrunner.
Set guardian of heaven.

good luck to all(:

dcd0d6ae92d2b323b0fea3afc38fba46.jpg

Replies

• Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really sweet but make sure that you stay with the theme of Windrunner, she's mostly woods and wind themed. Be sure you don't turn it into angelic wings, but I can definitely see this working with the established color palette!
  • lilaznelementz
    a theme to a bird (raven, eagle, hawk) would fit her wind/woods better. anyway looks good so far.
  • TMiuccio
    I like the wing sculpt, I'm just not sure that a heaven's guardian theme would fit her well. Maybe something more raven,eagle, hawk would fit better as you've mentioned.

Did you have other pieces thought out for the set?
  • Stranger1988
    Offline / Send Message
    1588_original.jpg

Spudnik ,lilaznelementz Thanks for the tips. they are very helpful)
  • oDD
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
  • bounchfx
    cool sculpt so far! I'm a big fan of the helmet/mask
  • Stranger1988
    Offline / Send Message
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool! I love the big volume of hair that's pouring out from under he headpiece!
  • walt
    Amazing. Instant buy from me. Please fix her feet, they are the worst part of the original model!
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent sculpt!
  • Stranger1988
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik, walt Can I change the base ( body) model/textures?
    in the contest conditions says just about armor..

EVIL tnh)
  • Futashia
    amazing set! and no you can only change the specific pieces valve allows. No texture alterations will be accepted.

On a side note are you sure this won't deviate too much from windrunner's lore/theme? It'll be amazing if you can make it work, but it's going to be a little bit awkward if it isn't related
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    As Futashia said, all changes have to be additive so no changing the base texture is allowed.
  • Rik
    Your feather and mask sculpts are fantastic, Stranger!! That being said, your design looks like it's deviating too far away from Windrunner's lore though, like others have stated. The mask and feathered wings are making her look more like a harpy from the waist up which does not sound compatible with her back story.
  • Naso
    Rik wrote: »
    Your feather and mask sculpts are fantastic, Stranger!! That being said, your design looks like it's deviating too far away from Windrunner's lore though, like others have stated. The mask and feathered wings are making her look more like a harpy from the waist up which does not sound compatible with her back story.

Lore shmore, the rules don't say anything about the items / sets having to be strictly "lore" based.

Keep on keeping on I say, look awesome so far.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    @Naso
    Blasphemy! Get your pitchforks everybody!
  • Molai
    Amazing! Bravissimo! Though you need to make sure the Windrunner's silhoutte remains very similar, otherwise it will affect gameplay. (If it does your item has 0% chance of getting in) Looking at the shoulders etc thus far I am certain it should not be a problem unless you for some reason had made them larger! Looking at this set I am sure it will have rare/mythical rarity if it gets in-game. (worth a lot ^^) Keep up the good work!
  • JimoUK
    Naso wrote: »
    Lore shmore, the rules don't say anything about the items / sets having to be strictly "lore" based.

Keep on keeping on I say, look awesome so far.

The item will be judged by Valve, and the winners chosen by Valve. If the characters aesthetic gets changed to much, you wont win. There is a very valid reason why it's being bought up a lot in these posts.

I like the set though, quite cool.
  • D-TiMeR
    Lots of luck! Can't wait to see this coloured :)
  • shanks37
    windrunner = baby saved and protected by wind
    birds = fly on wind
    armour designed to make windrunner look like bird = makes perfect sense

not to to be mean but you've got to be pretty thick to think this isnt acceptable lorewise.

(rik is right though that you should try hard to make it clear that its a mask and not that you have turned her into some horrible harpy creature)
  • Azaraen
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    Your feathers are amazing!! That material you got on helps alot too! If only this was to be a metal cast sculpture.... But great progress!
  • Stranger1988
    Offline / Send Message
    1985_original.jpg

Evolvyn I do not aspire to realism in this work.

shanks37 think too )

D-TiMeR tnh!

Molai ye. i think about it

Naso >.<
  • Stranger1988
  • 00Lotus
  • SpaceCentipede
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceCentipede polycounter lvl 4
    Good work man, nothing to say.

Посмотри мой тредик и отпишись. Я там оверпеинтов наделал.
  • walt
    getting better and better. can't wait!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    !!! WINGS! Awesome!

Looking good. Nice tidy sculptin :D
  • Hijinx
    Amazing work, the detail is incredible, one thing i'd suggest is to reduce the size of the wings a little. For me they throw the balance of the set off when viewed at a distance, if that makes sense.
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Sadly, I have nothing constructive to say. It's awesome work.

You might wanna know that your entry was featured on the Dota 2 blog...
  • Managor
    The work is awesome for sure, but like many other here have said I'm not that sure that the wings work with her theme.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    man, that is insane!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Lookin VERY cool!
  • Stranger1988
    Offline / Send Message
    2867_original.jpg

thanks for the kind words!!!

I finish main weapon skulpt. move too low poly mesh
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    YES! I love it!
  • Don di Tutti Capi
    congratz on being featured on values dota2 blog!
  • Solution
    completely captivating.
  • DD-best-D
    shanks37 wrote: »
    windrunner = baby saved and protected by wind
    birds = fly on wind
    armour designed to make windrunner look like bird = makes perfect sense

I don't think you understand how flight actually works.

If you really think A has a relation to B and B is related to C is anyway to argue or convince people of anything, you're probably a child, or an idiot.
    See it's fun and easy to do!

But really while the set does look nice, it would be better suited for Beast Master instead of windrunner.
    It could stand to lose the shoulders and be worn as a hood to not obstruct the model as much.

But it really doesn't belong to windrunner.
  • shanks37
    DD-best-D wrote: »
    I don't think you understand how flight actually works.

If you really think A has a relation to B and B is related to C is anyway to argue or convince people of anything, you're probably a child, or an idiot.
    See it's fun and easy to do!

But really while the set does look nice, it would be better suited for Beast Master instead of windrunner.
    It could stand to lose the shoulders and be worn as a hood to not obstruct the model as much.

But it really doesn't belong to windrunner.

wow, butt-flustered much?

its a metaphor son. windrunner is a hunter who uses travels on the wind to aid her pursuit. how can some kind of raptor not be the first think you think of there?
  • DD-best-D
    No I'm not Shanks37.

Let's take a look at how many times Windrunner (or Lyralei) mentions birds, or feathers.
    http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Windrunner_responses

"Your tiny featherless arrows can't hurt me, Sniper."
    Is the only time either is mentioned, and that's when she kills Sniper sometimes.

Here is the rest of her Bio, without any mention of birds, or feathers either.
    The western forests guard their secrets well. One of these is Lyralei, master archer of the wood, and favored godchild of the wind. Known now as Windrunner, Lyralei's family was killed in a storm on the night of her birth--their house blown down by the gale, contents scattered to the winds. Only the newborn survived among the debris field of death and destruction. In the quiet after the storm, the wind itself took notice of the lucky infant crying in the grass. The wind pitied the child and so lifted her into the sky and deposited her on a doorstep in a neighboring village. In the years that followed, the wind returned occasionally to the child's life, watching from a distance while she honed her skills. Now, after many years of training, Windrunner fires her arrows true to their targets. She moves with blinding speed, as if hastened by a wind ever at her back. With a flurry of arrows, she slaughters her enemies, having become, nearly, a force of nature herself.

I've noticed a lot of people posting work seem to joke about the lore, and scoff whenever it's mentioned in the critics.
    There are a lot of people here who have worked in the field of 3D before.
    I'm shocked that people aren't looking to the source material almost at all, before they start working on a project.

Stranger1988
    That bow is absolutely gorgeous. I would really wish you tried something along those lines with Beast Master and his Axes.
  • Managor
    Thank you DD, finally some good criticism. I've been throwing my views here and there but I'm no good with it. You seem the sort of person who can actually write with good arguments.
  • Molai
    DD-best-D wrote: »
    No I'm not Shanks37.

Let's take a look at how many times Windrunner (or Lyralei) mentions birds, or feathers.
    http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Windrunner_responses

"Your tiny featherless arrows can't hurt me, Sniper."
    Is the only time either is mentioned, and that's when she kills Sniper sometimes.

Here is the rest of her Bio, without any mention of birds, or feathers either.
    The western forests guard their secrets well. One of these is Lyralei, master archer of the wood, and favored godchild of the wind. Known now as Windrunner, Lyralei's family was killed in a storm on the night of her birth--their house blown down by the gale, contents scattered to the winds. Only the newborn survived among the debris field of death and destruction. In the quiet after the storm, the wind itself took notice of the lucky infant crying in the grass. The wind pitied the child and so lifted her into the sky and deposited her on a doorstep in a neighboring village. In the years that followed, the wind returned occasionally to the child's life, watching from a distance while she honed her skills. Now, after many years of training, Windrunner fires her arrows true to their targets. She moves with blinding speed, as if hastened by a wind ever at her back. With a flurry of arrows, she slaughters her enemies, having become, nearly, a force of nature herself.

I've noticed a lot of people posting work seem to joke about the lore, and scoff whenever it's mentioned in the critics.
    There are a lot of people here who have worked in the field of 3D before.
    I'm shocked that people aren't looking to the source material almost at all, before they start working on a project.

Stranger1988
    That bow is absolutely gorgeous. I would really wish you tried something along those lines with Beast Master and his Axes.
    I see where you are coming from, but I must respectfully say that you are wrong. First of all looking at beastmasters lore it would fit even less, you think a guy that has animals as friends would wear one? No, he wouldn't. It actually works quite well with windrunner, it neither fits nor unfits with the lore, but it fits her theme, which is imo the most important part. "The feathers help her grab hold of the wind and fly even faster!" Something like that.
  • iRYO400
    Awesome! master's work!
    but your shoulders remind me Valkyrie's shoulders( from HoN)
    qkkiY.jpg?1
  • DD-best-D
    Molai wrote: »
    I see where you are coming from, but I must respectfully say that you are wrong. First of all looking at beastmasters lore it would fit even less, you think a guy that has animals as friends would wear one?

Rebuttal for Beast Master
    Part of Beast Master's Lore:
    Afterward Karroch (Beast Master) was indentured to the king's menagerie, where he grew up among all the beasts of the royal court: lions, apes, fell-deer, and things less known, things barely believed in. When the lad was seven, an explorer brought in a beast like none before seen.
    On the night the beast died, a rage came over the boy. He incited the animals of the court to rebel and threw open their cages to set them amok on the palace grounds. The Last King was mauled in the mayhem. In the chaos, one regal stag bowed to the boy who had freed him; and with Beastmaster astride him, leapt the high walls of the estate, and escaped. Now a man, Karroch the Beastmaster has not lost his ability to converse with wild creatures. He has grown into a warrior at one with nature's savagery.

One common thing done in history, which comics, movies, and almost all forms of media have shown in them is adornments that pay homage to fallen comrades, used to inspire fear, to protect, or camouflaging.

Saying it's far fetched to see beast master wear a hood, which would most likely be a cloth with discarded bird feathers, which possibly fell off during a molting period would be absurd.
    If you really want me to paint out every possibility that this item should be for a hero who can communicate with animals, and even summons them to do his bidding.

If you want to argue something like 'well aquaman doesn't eat fish!'
    You'd be wrong, Aquaman was revealed to eat fish and it's okay because he doesn't talk to fish, their minds are too primitive, he makes them do his bidding.
    Molai wrote: »
    No, he wouldn't. It actually works quite well with windrunner, it neither fits nor unfits with the lore, but it fits her theme, which is imo the most important part. "The feathers help her grab hold of the wind and fly even faster!" Something like that.
    A Leaf in the wind
    Again, someone else doesn't understand how flight/feathers work.

This set would help wind runner move like a leaf that has a stone upon it.
    That leaf wouldn't move of course, being weighted down. Look at wind runner's default cosmetics.
    Simple cloths, with barely any armaments. This is so she can be quick, and agile.
    This set is a bulky shoulder guards, with a decorative wings upon them.
    This is completely against the character's ideas, and would be foolish for an actual archer to try wearing.
    Then there is also windrunner's idea of armor:
    http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/c/c9/Wind_rare_01.mp3
  • shanks37
    DD, you do understand that the feathers are purely decorative right? she cant actually fly. the mechanics of flight are completely irrelevant here.

speaking of completely irrelevant, your point about her not mentioning feathers or birds. she doesn't need to in order for my thematic comparison between a wind aided archer and a hawk to stand. find some way that it contradicts what is posted there and then maybe you have something.

aquaman has nothing to do with what he said about beastmaster. stop using strawman arguments.

i will concede though that the shoulderpads are too bulky. they definitely need to be slimmed down.
  • DD-best-D
    DD, you do understand that the feathers are purely decorative right? she cant actually fly. the mechanics of flight are completely irrelevant here.

speaking of completely irrelevant, your point about her not mentioning feathers or birds. she doesn't need to in order for my thematic comparison between a wind aided archer and a hawk to stand. find some way that it contradicts what is posted there and then maybe you have something.

aquaman has nothing to do with what he said about beastmaster. stop using strawman arguments.

i will concede though that the shoulderpads are too bulky. they definitely need to be slimmed down.

Yes, I actually understand that the feathers are decorative, but people seem to think things like "The feathers help her grab hold of the wind and fly even faster!" Something like that." as a reason for them being acceptable.

Yes, I actually want people to recognize themes. Windrunner is constantly making quips about everything she does being related to wind.
    Breezy, gusting, like the wind, just blew back into town, and so on.
    Tidehunter constantly referring to the ocean creatures, tides, kunkka, and sinking boats.
    Beast Master constant snarling, saying things like mauling, Swoop to battle, claws out, soar and swoop.

Yes, read through the characters bios, responses, and default cosmetics. They all have themes, this set could fit Beast Master's theme quite well, not Windrunner's theme.

Please reread Beast Master's Bio.
  • shanks37
    I'm about 90% sure they don't mean that literally.

you know what, whatever. i can easily see how this could fit beastmaster just as well but i cannot fathom how you fail to see the connection for windrunner. agree to disagree.
  • Stranger1988
    Offline / Send Message
    Soo many words. pff. Valve will decides
  • DD-best-D
    I'm about 90% sure they don't mean that literally.

you know what, whatever. i can easily see how this could fit beastmaster just as well but i cannot fathom how you fail to see the connection for windrunner. agree to disagree.

It seems the entire argument made is 'birds use wind to fly so she can have a bird themed outfit.'
    Soo many words. pff. Valve will decides

Sorry but the critic spiraled into heroes and their themes.
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Valve seemed to think it fits the lore well enough to feature it in their most recent dota blog update. http://blog.dota2.com/2012/10/a-cloven-skull-for-the-cloven-hooved/

Congrats on the blog feature! Looking forward to seeing more.
  • DD-best-D
    'more than a few excellent productions have already caught our eye.'

No one in this thread is doubting the excellent production of the guardian set. Valve even thinks it looks good.

The discussion was it wasn't in windrunner's theme, and should of been done for a different hero.