Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #19 - SEPTEMBER

Replies

• Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    I was thinking the same for a very long while but never bothered to mention it. I'm very happy that finally someone mentioned it and others are following up. If it was up to me I would add one more rule and say that when the competition is about a single item, others shouldn't just drop one of their items from a set/bundle that they are working on separately into the competition. The item that is submitted for this competition should respect and value the competition and the competitors too. For example, I'm currently working on a set which of course has a head piece and I thought of submitting it for October competition but for a moment I felt it will be a bit disrespectful or discouraging for those who are actually paying attention to the procedure of the competition itself. I mean one could do that but only if that person is really attending the competition and showing the progress of his set alongside that single item and is willing to change/enhance his work while attending the competition.
    As for the feedback, it's a very common trend in dota 2's polycount that Constructive criticism are very very rare here and the competitions are no different.
    Also judging from how well Belkun handled the noob challenges, I think he is the best choice here in polycount to handle a competition.
    Sorry for the long post :)
  • cagdasx44
    I agree with you guys, I am not participating for months, but still I follow this comp closely. For most of the time I dont write feedback too because most of you guys far better than me and all I can think of saying "good job" which feels meaningless, when I first entered polycount when a new comp starts I would leave all my wips and try to start making something for comp, because my thread was about me talking to myself in a public forum, I was posting my wips in comp thread because there is always someone to feedback to it, after I realised there is no hope on me winning even though I work my hardest to get something done, there will be someone to post their masterpiece and win the comp and I dont mean prizes only when someone postes their item thet get all the attention they dont need. Thats why I gave up my hopes on comp.
    Sorry for the long post, And ofcourse I would like to have Belkun as the boss.
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    The situation with prizes not being awarded is going to be fixed immediately. This is not making me happy either. I have plenty of Dota items i've been collecting as well as the trophies we've been giving out. I sincerely apologize about this. It's our duty to get this figured out and we will do so as fast as possible.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Reza wrote: »
    I was thinking the same for a very long while but never bothered to mention it. I'm very happy that finally someone mentioned it and others are following up. If it was up to me I would add one more rule and say that when the competition is about a single item, others shouldn't just drop one of their items from a set/bundle that they are working on separately into the competition. The item that is submitted for this competition should respect and value the competition and the competitors too.

As for the feedback, it's a very common trend in dota 2's polycount that Constructive criticism are very very rare here and the competitions are no different.

cagdasx44 wrote: »
    I agree with you guys, I am not participating for months, but still I follow this comp closely. For most of the time I dont write feedback too because most of you guys far better than me and all I can think of saying "good job" which feels meaningless, when I first entered polycount when a new comp starts I would leave all my wips and try to start making something for comp, because my thread was about me talking to myself in a public forum, I was posting my wips in comp thread because there is always someone to feedback to it, after I realised there is no hope on me winning even though I work my hardest to get something done,

I understand the feeling about someone coming to the contest and posting its nice item from a set he started before just to win it. I remember disqualifying one person twice for that.
    But I also don't think that adding a rule that if it is a single item contest should not be part of a set. Sometimes you do a single item that looks so nice that you want to do the full set, that happened a lot in the past. Maybe we could restrict that the item need to start after the contest is announced

----

About critiques, that is a good subject to discuss. I tried a lot of foruns for years before and at polycount I found the best place for receiving and giving critiques. But I agree sometimes even here it looks like noone saw our work.
    I believe that happens in all the foruns, I remember reading facepunch with 3 or 4 pages of people just fighting each other and ignoring the work in progress posted.

I am not saying that if it happens with everyone we should accept that. Just that it may happen sometimes but insde the contest were we have some rules we can try to avoid it. The contest rules are created by the community and if there is anything that we can do to help more with the critiques I can change the text.

I was thinking about an extra rule that you need to at least critique one work to be eligible, but that seams forcing too much.

At the Animation Mentor course they always suggest the students to critique at least 5 works per week, maybe we could try something like that here

About the prizes, some of them were shipped this week and the missing winners were decided. we are just discussing one small detail on a particular month and the timezones doesn't help.

I was talking with Adam and we are looking for a solution to unify all the process into fewer people to speed up the process, At the beginning of the contest more then one year ago it was easier, now with prizes and sponsors we got some delays by having to make everything work together.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! here is our final result from the month

Judges
    Benjamin "Bronto Thunder" Retter
    Stephanie "Anuxinamoon" Everett

Thiago "T_Vidotto" Vidotto

this month we had fewer entries then the usual 5 we announce, so we decided to make an smaller winner pool

Winner

Storm Scarab of the Stormy Steppes by Voodoo [aka Baddcog]

Storm_Scarab_Set_200.jpg

----

Congrats everyone that won and entered the contest, the main idea of the contest is to help improve our skills and i hope everyone won on that subject

Greentooth Trophy

And as promised we are going to get a Greentooth trophy for the winner! Congrats Baddcog again!

Is it the second on third time? =]

pc_gttroph.jpg
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    @Tvidotto
    Thanks for your concern and reply
    my point about adding the "others shouldn't just drop one of their items from a set/bundle" rule is that developing a set that fits with the contest or developing a set around an item is different from dropping a single item from a separated work. :)
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    r13, Tvidotto, thanks for the replies.

I don't see why it would be too much to have people be required to give feedback in posts. I thought that WAS part of it but maybe that was a past contest. I guess it takes more effort on your part to check that, as is with the wips.
    But it seems this contest should be more about growing and making better items that could be accepted into the game which would trump small prizes anyway. That's hard to do if you're not getting any feedback.

Not only that but giving feedback also helps you critique your own work too.

I see no problem with submitting a piece of a set but it needs to be clear what piece it is. Last month I created a full set after my courier was almost completely done, but I didn't post any progress on any of that stuff in the thread. I guess I did use a thumb that had the entire set in it... It probably should have been a solo item thumb... but it links to the solo item..
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    r13, Tvidotto, thanks for the replies.

I don't see why it would be too much to have people be required to give feedback in posts. I thought that WAS part of it but maybe that was a past contest. I guess it takes more effort on your part to check that, as is with the wips.

It is still on the rules, the problem is how we can police the use of feedback or not, the only way is if someone finds out that someone is breaking this rules and point it out

that is the ctrl c of that part of the rule:

- everyone should keep posting feedback on other works, the feedback should be constructive

If anyone here finds an entry that breaks that just let me know. It is sad to disqualify someone but it helps to prevent that happening again