Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dota 2 Polycount Contest 'Q&A Thread'

Replies

• DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Space Centipede, have you seen some of the other characters' topology? You may be shocked.
  • TMiuccio
    @Space Centipede .... ummm it shows 1296 tris, but is that only for one of the heads? because if it is, I'd think you need to cut it in half to be duplicated...

also, remember that they both need to be 250 tris in-game.
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo polycounter lvl 8
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    I thought if it were poly's it was allready low, but with tricount it's rediculous. It's almost impossible to get some nice model work into it. I deleted almost every face that I could without screwing up my model and im still at 380 tri's :S

I'm also really getting discouraged by this :S If I see al those great concepts here, it's almost impossible to get them as detailed as many of them want too with these limits..

You have to be creative, low poly modeling is very different from high poly modeling.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceCentipede polycounter lvl 4
    I know i know... every head is 650, so its okay. I mean it not use to be very oldscool in topology, sorry for bad english but im sure u understand what i mean, corners in siloette like in world of warcraft. But so far when i zoom out the model everything is okay, hmmm...
  • SpaceCentipede
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceCentipede polycounter lvl 4
    On my work i have 10k tris per character limit, and always enoght tris for garments, so i mean 650 tris not very usual for me. Thats what i want to say and worry about.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Yep, Dota 2 has a pretty low limit poly limit, but like you said, we are going to be see it primarily from farther away, so it's not that noticeable.
  • bounchfx
    Is there a way to tell which channels a character has available? for example, I've heard not every character can use Alpha - how can I tell who can and which ones a particular character uses?
  • Starmony
    Since there are 2 LODS that are able to be uploaded, can we also upload two texture files? When reducing the polycount I might need to remove some minor objects (not a full object but parts of it) and I'm worried that I wont be able to match it all up on one texture map

EDIT:FROM MY THREAD Tvidotto: no, you cant use 2 texture, is one single texture for the 2 lods. the textures has already lods called mipmaps that are generated automatically =]
  • lysaara
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara polycounter lvl 9
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Is there a way to tell which channels a character has available? for example, I've heard not every character can use Alpha - how can I tell who can and which ones a particular character uses?

I asked this yesterday and got this useful response:
    Qwiggalo wrote: »
    In the future they might add it to everyone, but for now you go into the VPKs for the game in Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota (Open pak01_dir.vpk with GCFscape) and check in Materials/Models/Heroes/{hero name} and the name of the ffile you're looking for isn't always the same, but it's usually obvious. It's something like {Hero Name}_body_color.VMT vmt and body are important. Open it as a text file and look for $alphatest 1
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    just hit me, since you can be making money off this,
    what about software licensing? cause I only have student licenses!
    so I should be doing the modeling in Blender cause it's free?

and another thing:
    Does a new item need to fit with all the other default items equipped?
    Cause the sets of Valve have a preview of all the items seperatly with the rest of the items equipped being the original ones!
  • Tickwomp
    Offline / Send Message
    Tickwomp polycounter lvl 7
    Does anyone have Antimage's mask files? I got Qwiggalo's package (thanks!) but mask1 and mask2 aren't in the zip file.
  • Bude
    Tickwomp wrote: »
    Does anyone have Antimage's mask files? I got Qwiggalo's package (thanks!) but mask1 and mask2 aren't in the zip file.

I would also like to start modelling smth for anti-mage for learning purpose and want to add a question to that:
    Since there is no Workshop Requirement page for him, what amount of polys are allowed for each of his items ?
  • KingBlackToof
    Bude wrote: »
    I would also like to start modelling smth for anti-mage for learning purpose and want to add a question to that:
    Since there is no Workshop Requirement page for him, what amount of polys are allowed for each of his items ?

If he's not on the Requirements page, I had the understanding he's not available for the competition.
  • KingBlackToof
    At least that's what I thought I could be wrong ?
    Someone else confirm
  • latorril
    Offline / Send Message
    latorril polycounter lvl 6
    Is there a way to start a private thread? I would like to keep a WIP thread but show my ideas later.
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    latorril wrote: »
    Is there a way to start a private thread? I would like to keep a WIP thread but show my ideas later.

I don't think there is, but wouldn't that defy the spirit of the contest? Being that you would get critiques and feedback. Is it a worry about others stealing your ideas?
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Is it possible for anyone to make a list of characters that do and do not have the ability to utilize alpha transparencies? I checked the folder mentioned earlier (under dota 2 beta/dota/materials/models/heroes), and there were only three character folders in it.

It would be really helpful if someone could make a list of characters that are transparency enabled. I'd do it myself, but, well...
  • Vindalia
    cesar11 wrote: »
    Getting an error in the DOTA 2 viewer "Couldn't find any bones in the wearable that correspond to bones in the hero model. Wearable items must be skinned to the hero's bones to be submitted"

My pipeline.

1. Import Hair SMD (Bones/rig)
    2. Import my Hair (Reset Transform pivot to 0.0.0/reset Xform)
    3. Apply Skin modifier to my model
    4. Add the Head Bone to my Model
    5. Export my Model (With and without bone)

When i import it its just hovering there while the character is doing her animation, Textures are working fine its just not properly sticking to the bone, any ideas?

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm working in Maya and having the same exact error message pop up when I try to import models.
  • bounchfx
    lysaara wrote: »
    I asked this yesterday and got this useful response:

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm pretty boned now on doing my character without alpha.. well.. it'll certainly be a challenge
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Vindalia wrote: »
    Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm working in Maya and having the same exact error message pop up when I try to import models.

I had the same problem yesterday, and it took me over 1 hour to get this stupid error away.. If they just put this on a faq on the dota 2 site, it would help a lot of people.

What you should do:
    - Open the .fbx. maya or smd File of the model you want to import, for hats etc use the head. Not sure if it will be a problem if you open a different object, but don't open all the objects or more objects together.

- Import/merge your model into the scene, you can remove the normal model
    - Make sure you have the right scale
    - Use a skin modifier and attach the bones to your model, use exactly the same bones as the normal (valves) model
    - Export your model with the entire skeleton (not only your model)

Your problem should now be solved :)

I still got one probem with this, I use 3ds max but I just can't get the scale right. I've looked a lot on the internet and there were a few solution, tried all that but it didn't help.

If I do a xform, the complete model is gone and I don't see anything. If I use the vertex mode and scale it down, I can't see anything. If I use the model without these things, it's 10 times bigger then it should be (Offcourse I allready scaled down the model so it fits the model you can download)

The only problem I can think of is the units :s Can someone confirm on how they do the .fbx import settings and export? And on wich unit scale your normal program is working. (my unit scale is on automatic so it should work correctly, don't got any problems with TF2)

Getting really frustrated :shifty: Can someone pls help me with this!
  • Don di Tutti Capi
    Hello there. I just want to ask is it alright if I do a design for Doom Bringer but add a bit of mechanical features in to his armor. Such as pipes and gears and such. Of course it's going to look more hellish than robotic. Would Value be okay with that?
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    A good reference for that would be Clockwerk goblin as far as knowing how far you can take it. And as always, concepts speak louder than words.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Andyk125 - this sounds like the root of your problem "If I do a xform, the complete model is gone" :(.

Im not sure if this is the best solution, but if i had this problem i would do the following.

Make sure your model isnt skinned and the stack is collapsed, select the model and export selected as .obj. Import your model into a fresh scene and try resetting your xforms. If that works collapse the stack, save the file and merge it into your original scene if need be.
  • Bude
    If he's not on the Requirements page, I had the understanding he's not available for the competition.

He is on the top of the list, so i figured he would be available
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Andyk125 - this sounds like the root of your problem "If I do a xform, the complete model is gone" :(.

Im not sure if this is the best solution, but if i had this problem i would do the following.

Make sure your model isnt skinned and the stack is collapsed, select the model and export selected as .obj. Import your model into a fresh scene and try resetting your xforms. If that works collapse the stack, save the file and merge it into your original scene if need be.

Thanks! I didn't try that one, I will deffinitly have a look at it tonight. You gave me some hope again, sometimes you are getting so frustrated that you stop thinking normal :)
  • Vindalia
    Andyk125, thank you for posting your solution! I'll try that out later today and hope that it works :)
  • Robbiek1000
    Does anyone know how to get/import actual animations from the characters? I'm having a hell of a time getting my cape skinned correctly, and my current work flow of making changes, and then uploading the files within Dota 2 is a huge time suck.

Also, I've found that the submission file uploader within Dota 2 does not seem to update if you have made changes. You have to shutdown Dota 2 completely and reopen it. Its driving me insane!
  • Admiral Skye
    Offline / Send Message
    Admiral Skye polycounter lvl 5
    Also, I've found that the submission file uploader within Dota 2 does not seem to update if you have made changes. You have to shutdown Dota 2 completely and reopen it. Its driving me insane!

I had this problem too, you don't have to close DOTA, just change the name of the item in the import screen. This is because it makes a copy of the file in the DOTA folder but it doesn't overwrite it if you use the same name. So if you have and item named "Weaver Antenna", change it to "Weaver Antenna 2".

It's still very annoying and I hope they fix it. Another problem I found is that if I import a LOD0 model I get a compile error unless I import the LOD1 model by itself then change the name and import both of the LOD models.
  • Robbiek1000
    Thanks Admiral Skye! Even if i can find a way to get those animations that should help out quite a bit.
  • coraldomino
    Hey, I feel a bit stupid and feel like I'll be posting here a lot but... when I load the meshes in maya, they're missing textures? In this thread I saw some tutorial on how to fix this in Blender, is that the only way to get it done? Is it the same in Maya?

Also as someone else said before, can I use the student license of maya?
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Vindalia wrote: »
    Andyk125, thank you for posting your solution! I'll try that out later today and hope that it works :)

I hope it works for you as well :)

I finially got my model import correctly, it had been the unit setup. For some reason I just needed to change the system unit scale to cm and my problem had been solved, here's the result. I still need to work on the masks though, and her's also a link to my thread:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106528

DLUtA.jpg
  • SubPablo
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    Is there a way to preview Lone Druid's spirit bear and True form characters in the viewer that I'm not seeing?
  • MrToast
    Does anyone know if you are able to delete or move the glowing light in front of Slardar's head ?

I am talking about this light here:

slardarlightvw.jpg

Ignore the little brown thing above the light, it was just a try to move the position of the light closer to the head, but didn't worked.

I guess the light is connected to a bone but I don't know if there is any way to change the bone position.

Thanks if anyone can help me :)
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    I would like to know more about the 3rd and 4th texture maps. Is there a shader I can use in real time to view and develop these maps?
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately, no. The best shot is to check it out directly in the in-game previewer.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Can we make animated textures? For instance if I wanted to have fire coming out of a sword, I was thinking of using warped uvs and animating either the uvs or texture map to translate, so the flames would be moving. Is there a way to do this and have it work in-game? I also wanted to have a swirly firey eye crystal thing.
    Thanks!
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're limited to particles at most (and even then they're somewhat complicated) as everything else is limited by the given Hero's shader. Your items can't have any extra texture effects that the existing shader (which is applied to all the hero's items at runtime) doesn't support.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Ah okay. Thanks!
  • loretah
    Offline / Send Message
    loretah polycounter lvl 7
    I just completed the UVs for the Naga Siren set, and I started thinnking that I had perhaps misunderstood the meaning of an item slot.

On the "Creating items for Naga Siren" page, there is a category "armor" and another named "legs". I had asumed her tail was part of her base body, and therefore "legs" referred to her skirt.
    While exporting the different parts of the armor, I noticed that her tail was separate geometry.
    The original texture map for her tail is named "tail" not "legs", and in Maya her tail is named "tail".
    the texture map "armor" does include her skirt, and in Maya her skirt is name "armor".
    I cannor find anything named "legs"

So before starting with Zbrush and all the maps, I need to know: Does "legs" refer to her tail or her skirt?
  • editpolygon
    I've downloaded Riki's files from his technical requirements page and the SMD Importer/Exporter from Wunderboy.

When I import the .FBX file I get a nice organized bone system.
    d2polycount-error-01.jpg

When I import the .SMD file I get a messed up bone system.
    d2polycount-error-02.jpg

The grid changes size as well and it looks like a scaling issue but both of the system units are in inches.

Which file should I use to build over then export from? :\
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    If I want to make another entry for the same character... I need to make a new thread right?

Answer: Yes
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    loretah wrote: »
    I just completed the UVs for the Naga Siren set, and I started thinnking that I had perhaps misunderstood the meaning of an item slot.

On the "Creating items for Naga Siren" page, there is a category "armor" and another named "legs". I had asumed her tail was part of her base body, and therefore "legs" referred to her skirt.
    While exporting the different parts of the armor, I noticed that her tail was separate geometry.
    The original texture map for her tail is named "tail" not "legs", and in Maya her tail is named "tail".
    the texture map "armor" does include her skirt, and in Maya her skirt is name "armor".
    I cannor find anything named "legs"

So before starting with Zbrush and all the maps, I need to know: Does "legs" refer to her tail or her skirt?

I loaded my belt into her legs slot....

legs.JPG

Her tail MUST be legs xD
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Clarification on alpha maps for heroes that don't natively support it.
    JohnM wrote:
    Correct. If a hero does not have alpha in their shader, you should not make items that require it. We will not be adding alpha to heroes to support items.
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=58575&p=367665&viewfull=1#post367665
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    Which file should I use to build over then export from? :\

Wunderboy's .SMD importer messes up the bone orientation for the newer .SMD versions used by Source. Use CannonFodder's .SMD importer instead, which will give you correct bone orientation (but you will have to rotate all imported objects by 90 degress in X, as it doesn't automatically set the proper axes for you like Wunderboy's).

If you want the least hassle possible, use the .SMD geometry as reference to build your items around. Otherwise if you're using the .FBXs as reference: using the origin (0,0,0) as pivot and scale everything up (bones+geometry) to 254 units.

Edit:

aQnVN.jpg
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    okaaaay. has anyone gotten thiiis before : "dota 2 could not prepare content file"

everything was working right up to there ;_;
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey guys --

I just wanted to chime in quickly and say thanks to everyone who has been helping others new to the Dota2 art pipeline. It's the helpful nature of artists like yourselves that make PC the place it is - thank you!

-Adam
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay!

Speaking of this thread, this is missing the link to it on two occasions
  • loretah
    Offline / Send Message
    loretah polycounter lvl 7
    I loaded my belt into her legs slot....

legs.JPG

Her tail MUST be legs xD

Thank you! Fortunately I still can include the skirt to the armor without going above the poly budget, and will only have to rework on the UVs :)
  • Robbiek1000
    For future reference, when submitting our entries its seems like we have to submit them one piece at a time? It looks like you can't actually submit them all as a group? Anyone know exactly why that is? I'd love to be able to have all my items on the character at the same time to see how they look with all the maps working and animations goin'.