Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fancy collar girl

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    dig the face, it's different from a lot of things you see, I suppose.
    Personally find the proportions to be great, dig the hair, etc.
    Good work frand
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    I think what is calling the most attention is that while the proportions are interesting they aren't anatomically feasible... you can mess around with the proportions all you want... but if you give someone a pelvis from which they could pass a midget, you're going to make most of the people think, "omg, what's wrong with her pelvis" more than "omg, this is so refreshing.

While the design of the character is refreshing, it's not exactly clear what's going on there anatomically.

That's what's getting the negative reactions from folks... I personally think she's cute as a button, just a bit deformed.
  • makecg
    Looks cool personally I like renderhjs Fix's better its not that shes fat.. its shes distorted makes it look strange.
  • Kylen
    Offline / Send Message
    Kylen null
    DoomiVox wrote: »
    I dig the hell out of it.
    The proportions are great and she looks like a human being as oppossed to the cookie cutter, anorexic, 11 head tall crimes against human proportion females I'm used to seeing produced.
    You had me loling right there.
  • G()5u
    I for one really like her proportions very feminine and almost has a classic 50's pin up feel to it.
  • G()5u
    Oops double post :P
    Forgot this board orders posts in reverse :P
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    All right, this took a little longer than expected, so I'm going to reply to things that everyone forgot they said. Thanks for the replies, anyway.

Concerning the proportions (since that's what most people comment on, I might as well answer them in one go): I'm not so much interested in creating an attractive or realistic character. She's more of an experiment, if you will, to see in which direction female stylisation can be taken. It seems to me that men can be stylised into all sorts of shapes, whereas women can be either skinny or skinny with large breasts. Which isn't to say that I'm envisioning myself as a crusader against the bland standards of the industry, I'm just having fun with a more unorthodox approach to female proportions... and considering I try a different style for every model I make, I'd rather go too far than not far enough!
    Ged wrote:
    not sure about the hair colour, blends in with the colar/outfit alot.
    Q:if this character walked near a wall would the cloth of the dress deform?
    I tried different hair colours, having the black or orange recurring (see below). The black one seems to work pretty well in the aesthetic sense, but the blonde looks a bit more light-hearted to me.

As for the dress, I'm imagining it to be like the material they make lampshades from, from the waist down. So yes, it bends, but it does stay upright by default. Basically, I like skirts because they're feminine, but I hate rigging them, so this is the compromise ;) .

CollarGirlInMarmosetHaircom.jpg
    MightyPea wrote:
    Zwebbie: I believe Pior may be talking about Nemo (in Slumberland) which --amusingly, and tellingly enough-- is what I pointed out with your previous model :D
    I figured that much - but I honestly can't see the likeness!
    Hazardous wrote:
    I remember people calling my Amaya model FAT too, cant win these days!
    I decided to look up that character of yours, but thought at first that you didn't put it in your portfolio or something, since I couldn't find anything that I'd call fat! Those are great proportions by my standards.

---

I can't wait to be done with this. There's not a lot of time put into the texture, but it seems to work.

Here's a pose:

CollarGirlInMarmosetPose1.jpg
  • doeseph
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Video game art will *gasp eventually grow up and not cater to 15 year old boys so you guys that are calling for the skinnies better get with it. I for one find this exploration totally refreshing. Nice work!

Right, because being attracted to a specific body type makes you a 15 year old boy. And insulting people who don't agree with your tastes makes you an adult. I've been so delusional until now.

Zwebbie, you get 100 pts for creating an awesome piece. I honestly don't know what to think about this one. On one hand I think she is far too bulky (not fat) and the costume is a bit irritating, but on the other hand I've never seen a character model done quite like this so I enjoy the originality of it. And it's not that I think the proportions are wrong, she just has no muscle definition. Chun Li has similiar thickness but still manages to be appealing because of the definition. However if you were to add muscle definition you would ruin the style I'm guessing, so I lose :)

Great work!
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice zwebbie, her blonde hair looks alright now that it has a bit of detail in the strands. Cool shoes, her face has a confusing expression. Is she worried or happy? smile says happy, eyebrows say angy, eyes say worried?
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    She's a strange one. Props for trying something different. It's be great to see more people try it. Maybe we need a "characters with odd proportions" competition or some such.

I wonder whether to tie the costume together a bit better you could add a coloured trim to the collar inside and/or outside and perhaps to the hem of the dress. Not sure whether it'd work, but it's something that might be worth a try.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    ^what he said

also, maybe adding some large print graphics or logos would add a nice touch- TDR did some nice stuff for wipeout and maybe some sort of belt like form? I think some sort of creative buckle would go a looong way.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade, konstruct: Can't really say I agree, guys. The point of the design was to try to achieve as much memorability as possible with as few elements as possible. Tully's suggestions rounded the design off and made it more plausible, but I think a belt or something of the like would be too much. Mind, though, that I'm driven by trying new stuff, in this case minimalism, and, as with the proportions, I'd rather push it too far than not far enough. So I wouldn't say they're bad suggestions per se, it's just that they're a compromise into more 'standard' designs.
    Plus, I'm dead tired of this model and can't wait to just be done with it :p .

---

Here are some poses showing off my lousy rigging. I think I'm just going to put her in the portfolio on of these days and move on.

CollargirlInMarmosetPose2.jpg
    CollargirlInMarmosetPose3.jpg
    CollargirlInMarmosetPose4.jpg
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Haha love the ouch sole's man! Shes awesome I like it!!
  • Spatz
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    I know I'm supposed to be working on my fancy hat guy, but I bought Mirror's Edge just a while ago and wanted to do something with bright colours. I'm going to make a low poly and I'll see if I can get it into UE3 - should be a good experience.

So here's a work-in-progress of the high poly, and a paintover. I've been trying to create some interesting proportions. The design isn't final yet; it's just a quick mockup of elements that I thought were nice. Does it need more asymetry?

CollarGirl.jpgCollarGirlPaintover.jpg

WOW I love the paintover ...totally inspiring... ME FAN... :)... GREAT!