Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fancy collar girl

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
I know I'm supposed to be working on my fancy hat guy, but I bought Mirror's Edge just a while ago and wanted to do something with bright colours. I'm going to make a low poly and I'll see if I can get it into UE3 - should be a good experience.

So here's a work-in-progress of the high poly, and a paintover. I've been trying to create some interesting proportions. The design isn't final yet; it's just a quick mockup of elements that I thought were nice. Does it need more asymetry?

CollarGirl.jpgCollarGirlPaintover.jpg

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That's actually very cool! Can't wait to see where you will be taking this.
    You might need to give the skull a bit more structure (bit too round atm) but yeah I like where this is going!!!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    heh my first thought was "oooh someone's been studying pior". :)
    This could go interesting places.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    she has gigantic legs and arms, proportions are everywhere off and even if its intended I think it looks bad atm. Shift some stuff and make at least her arms more slim or less fatty.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Aaaaaah, love this! The style you've got going on in the face is great. I disagree about the limbs being too fat, they just need a bit more definition and shape (legs, in particular).

Also, what Vailias said. :p
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dig the hell out of it.
    The proportions are great and she looks like a human being as oppossed to the cookie cutter, anorexic, 11 head tall crimes against human proportion females I'm used to seeing produced.
    Has a sort of R.Mika from street fighter alpha feel to it as well.
    My only critisism would be the back of the head but, it doesnt really matter if you already know how you're going to model the hair (unless she's going to be in situations were she can get buzz cuts??)
    I'm very interested to see the lowpoly and so on.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I say shes not fat enough!!!

I understand where Render is coming from because if you focus on her torso, her limbs don't really make sense., her torso does not seem to fit the weight of her arms and legs because she is a little thick. Maybe a little more chest and a less refined waist line will make her grow into her arms and legs. yah!

needs more double chin...

jk...

Keep it up!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I think she looks cool. I like her 'fatness', wrong proportions, and round head.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    +1 for the chunky girl. Great colours too.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    gotta second kp there (i think? :P)... nothing wrong with a little fatness but the head seems kinda small and is throwing off teh proportions in places i think... hence why i like render's paintover.

really cool style tho zwebbie, liek where it's heading (hope the final head texture looks like that too, polypaint style?)
  • achillesian
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed with Pior -- keep current proportions. It's neat, and different!

I might suggest a teeny bit more detail to increase the verisimilitude on the outfit. Right now it looks like that stuff was painted on her (which I know it was, but go with me on this!) -- if you added things like seams, velcro bits on the shoes, it'll give a person a lot more to look at.

For my part, seams like those in high-tech swimsuits might work really nicely -- something subtle that doesn't break up the surface, but just adds to it. A seam especially around the edges of the garment that's perhaps a touch raised and shinier. Adds the potential for interest in the specular and makes it a bit more interesting to look at. Or something to that effect, anyway.
    lzrracer.jpg
    speedo_womens_suits.jpg

For the shoes, maybe a bit more detail to suggest some construction to them. Nothing that drastically changes the impression you've got in the drawing, but gives it a bit more oomph and interest. Perhaps being constructed of one or two different materials, as with leather, metal and canvas(?) in this shoe.
    Gucci%20White%20Leather%20Side%20Velcro%20Shoes.jpg

Maybe also a side or back zipper to suggest how she's got herself into such a tight top. I can imagine a silvery zipper on this being a great detail to look at.
    white-dress-picture.png

One of my favourite things to do as well is a seam that has a thread that contrasts with the colour of the fabric. You'll find this often IRL in track pants, underwear and dark coloured jeans. It often has to be exaggerated a bit in the model to be visible, but it's usually a nice detail that shows you're thinking. OR, for something similar, piping around a seam (also found often in track pants)
    333024860_1_244.jpg

Anyways, just some ideas :) They're little things, but all added up they can make a big difference. It's looking cool, so keep workin!
  • Shiraz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aslong as he keeps the fashion style he has going atm ill be happy :)
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Proportions are wicked off even for a stylized character it just looks weird. Don't care if you keep her chunky but her torso needs to reflect that too. Her limbs are giganto but her torso is short and skinny. Doesn't seem human.

I like it overall with the style/face, just proportions ned some work.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I dig! Very stylized stuff man. I personally love the fact that she's got a little more meat on her bones. If you made her thin, she'd just be another skinny CG chick...and that would be insanely normal.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much, guys and gal. I sort of expected two replies, with one being a joke about an orange breast, but instead I've gotten useful criticisms!

@pior: Thanks. I didn't even consider the skull, it did look a bit off, so it's been changed now.

@Vailias: Ha, indeed, you got me. Pior and Slipgatecentral. Not as original as supposed to, but if you've gotta learn, learn from the best, right ;) ?

@renderhjs: It's wholly intended. I understand that it might not work entirely well, since I'm still learning and just can't pull it off as well as veteran artists, but thick limbs are what I'm going for. I've been almost obsessive in creating 'realistic' proportions lately and it usually ends in creating characters that are too short in retrospect. So now, I've just thrown realism out the window and made her chunky (or fat, if you will), with a fairly ridiculous spinal curve. Which isn't to say that I'm not thankful for your input and paintover, but slim proportions just defeat the purpose of this model.

@LoTekK: Yup, I was planning on sculpting eventually to add definition. Not sure if I'll still do that, since a quick test turned out to look pretty awful, but some things do have to be defined more, one way or another.

@DoomiVox: Thanks. The hair would cover the back of the head, but you are right, it was out of proportion (for some reason, I always end up making the face very small, so that I have to scale down the skull in the end).

@Master_v12: I think it's the odd pose more than anything; look at the silhouette I'm posting below, I don't think that it looks particularly wrong in either front or side view.

@killingpeople: Thank you :)

@CheeseOnToast: Thank you too. 'Chunky' is the word I've been using too, fat just doesn't sound dynamic or attractive :) .

@Nizza_waaarg: I tried scaling up the head, but it doesn't work as well, IMO; it just makes the torso look disproportionally small. Which it is, I suppose, but it just looked a tad more cartoony. It's ironic, because just a while ago I was criticising your mech pilot gurl for having too small a head :p .

@achillesian: 's about time too after all the small people I've been making...

@Tully: Wow, thank you very much! I tried to apply all of your criticisms (and even tried the shoulder thingies in one of your images that you hadn't even mentioned). I tried to add the seams, but there's not a terribly lot of space for them. The upper garment doesn't actually lend itself very well to seams, because it flows into the skirt. The shoes were just laziness on my part, they were supposed to be detailed. But I was still looking for a unique feature, and those side-velcros work very well in that regard. I tried the coloured seam, but I'm not too sure - there's only one place where I thought it could be decently applied, which is a bit of a shame. Again, thanks :D .

@Shiraz: Heh, it's basically all kinds of weird/ugly stuff like a ruff collar, orange breast (I mean, wtf?) and a starched skirt thrown together with Mirror's Edge's colour scheme :p .

@vcortis: Hmm, I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it's as easy as you make it sound. Making the torso bigger just makes it look very masculine. I think it's the spinal curve that's causing the effect, but that's what makes her unique. In short, I just can't make her more normal while keeping the same style.

@NyneDown: Yup, my thoughts exactly. I've been making insanely normal women for a while now, it's time for something that stands out a bit.

So here's an update. Not a whole lot of change, but the overall detail level has been increased. Is it too much? The clothing style has definitely taking a turn towards the sportive, but I think it works.

CollarGirlPaintover2.jpg

And a silhouette:

CollarGirlSilhouette.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    dude, she's unique.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Totally awesome. I love polycount for reasons such as this. You can actually post up a disproportionate chunky girl and get support for it.

That's what its all about man. Having an idea and bringing it to life. If it's what you want, keep it up.

I'd love to see it from a few different angles to get a better feel for it.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    awesome work man..I really dig the style
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    a bit too chunky for my taste, but really cool nonetheless.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    this lady is standing out from the rest..in a good way!

i dig it
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    plz, give her a smile...
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash wrote: »
    a bit too chunky for my taste, but really cool nonetheless.

SHE HAS A GREAT PERSONALITY
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8

omg, I almost felt out of my chair laughing so hard.

Ontopic, she looks awesome! I was a bit skeptic about the proportions at first, but it seems like you got it all under control! Good job!
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Haha, that made my day. But model looks awesome.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth

shes gotta be funny too....she just HAS to be
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Looking really nice, Zwebbie! Only one thing I might think of is the transition between her orange boob and her orange shoulder pad dealie isn't making for quite as nice a shape as it was before -- I like the shoulder pad on the white part, so maybe it's an opportunity for a bit more asymmetry? Dunno :D
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    personally I don't really like some of the proportion decisions but it definitely stands out as a unique and interesting piece of art!

lol, I don't know if polycount has a post of the year award.... but I nominate achillesian!

• ima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ima polycounter lvl 8
    Good job. Just really hate the proportions; choice of colors and outfit makes up for it though.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, it's wonderful how exotic proportions can cause so much emotion on Polycount :) . Thanks for the replies! Tully, I modeled the shoulder to be be in-between the two styles, which I think works better - thank you.

High poly. I suppose there isn't much more to do. Hair is just a placeholder to get an idea.
    CollarGirl2.jpg

Close-up of the face. I figured a bit of a bigger nose would be fun, since everyone's doing sharp noses.
    CollarGirl3.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been fiddling around with UDK and exporting to if for the past week, but it's not working. I'll download a Max trial the day after tomorrow to see if that works.

In the meantime, here's a quick colour mock-up on an AO bake in Marmoset. It's a shame Marmo is such a pain with alphas, or I wouldn't bother with UDK at all.

CollarGirlInMarmoset.jpg

Oh, and I promise I'll use another angle when I take the next screenshot ;) .
  • animax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animax polycounter lvl 15
    Unique character here..Reminds me of Chun Li from Street Fighter somehow.May be the legs?

keep it up!!
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    the concept/paintover reminds me of the gallente from eve-online, love it. cant wait to see how this turns out
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    This is great work, the face is really well painted, it looks like an oil paining in a classical style. The proportions are refreshing too, it's nice to see diversity in characters that make them distinctly recognisable :)

awaiting updates :D
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I'm diggin this.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking this! Chunky body and all.

One thing I'd suggest changing though, is the size of her head, and how close it is to the body. Whereas it might be anatomically correct, the collar really confuses matters, and I think a slightly bigger head, slightly higher up, could really help sell this.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    i'm a sucker for this art style, so many people didn't like mirror's edge but i though the art was so well done, used to just run around checking it all out instead of playing the game :D

Loving the proportions and textures so far
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    I'd say, the hands and feet are pretty big.
    Otherwise, i'd hit that so hard that if you would pull me out, you'd be the next king of England.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments!

@Animax: Yeah, I think it's the legs - which is why they deliberately don't show any muscles, I always disliked how overdefined Chun Li was.

@GCMP: Surely you don't mean the painting of the texture? That's just an AO map from xNormal.

@MightyPea: I think it's worth seeing how she looks with hair first, I've got quite a big haircut planned, so that might make her head look bigger than it does right now.

So I got the model into UDK - finally - but now I just have to find out how to get it to use the full 2048^2 texture and how to set up the alpha channel.

CollarGirlInUDK4.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know what? It somehow has a Slumberland feel. With the red on the face and chubby proportions. Something to explore, I'd say!!!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: Can't say I'm familiar with that and a Google search didn't show up anything that was particularly remniscient... Could you perhaps elaborate?

I didn't stop working on this, I'm just fighting a hard battles with alphas. It's Marmoset again, because UDK isn't as handy with opacity as I'd hoped and I've found out how to export to Marmoset directly from Blender.
    Theoretically, I think I can get it to work if I just duplicate the hair planes in the order that they're mostly likely to be seen - but at 25, that's no easy task. I'm thinking of re-doing it so that I can get by with less than 10, larger planes.
    Does anyone have any useful experience with hair? Paul Tosca's link is usually the first to show up, but it's also conveniently rendered in a package that doesn't care about overlapping faces.

CollarGirlInMarmoset4.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    nice hair, but i would make her arms thinner
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    not sure about the hair colour, blends in with the colar/outfit alot. Other than that it looks solid

Q:if this character walked near a wall would the cloth of the dress deform? I guess I just find it hard to imagine how it will work
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie: I believe Pior may be talking about Nemo (in Slumberland) which --amusingly, and tellingly enough-- is what I pointed out with your previous model :D
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Boooo to the "Borg collective" who always wants things toned down, evened out and idealized. I dig her body proportions a lot. Her face actually is most unique, she looks like a person. Not a "Borg" inspired mannequin head. ;P
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    I'd date her... "date"

The only thing i'd worry about would be her massive crotch and super mega wide hips.

I think her proportions are fine... just the width of her pubis is... wide.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    How did i miss this thread, man TOP NOTCH. Love the proportions, and the simplistic / futuristic design. I remember people calling my Amaya model FAT too, cant win these days!