Dominance War II - ComradeJ

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
Edit:

Last update:

dominancetexturing2aw9.png

Ye Olde post starts here

Must... finish... something... this year!

dominancedoodling2kopiecw1.png

Just drawing around a bit at the moment, I sort of liked the idea of combining the head Dark-Elf dude with the two guys next to him. I don't know how hacking with your mind works, but it sounds awesome, and might be a cool function for a Shadow.

Needs a lot more 'oomph' to it though. Open to any suggestions or criticism : )

Replies

• gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    hey ComradeJ! glad to see you joining up. right now i think you need to continue focusing on more sketches, more explorations. and use reference, even for the space-tech stuff:use stuff like pictures of engines or computer insides or whatever, anything that looks cool and techy. i stress reference because that seems like a major stumbling block for you right now--you're tending to draw very simple, placeholder-type things instead of tech. like the very simple cone-collar and the very cartoony earpiece--what's going on there? it's a little disconcerting, because you've got them on the drawing of a face that is very well developed. so it's clear that you've probably spent a lot more time focused on people than tech, and that's cool.
    in fact, you should probably work on playing to your strengths then--if you're not much for designing tech or armor bits, then minimize those elements. go with what you know, what you've practiced on, and for what you don't know, use plenty of reference and ask for paintovers/tags. i would like to help but can't really, just now--but between you and me, Eric Elwell is real hotshot with paintovers these days, so i think a pm his way would likely be rewarded...
    keep working, and keep us updated! smile.gif
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Gauss, you're awesome. It's amazing how you can say the same thing in a gazillion different ways (i.e. the 'get a concept out!') and still be able to fit a response perfectly to a person when there is a concept.

I know I focused more on the organic part, because that's indeed my strength (or least weak part laugh.gif ). With no chance to win, however, learning as much as possible would still be a great result and fun too.

Okay, the concepting process continues (this is so much fun!).

While working out the Dark-elf dude a bit, the crazy idea of doing a Metroid Prime Luminoth-esque creature (still with the hacker characteristics) came up. Tried some stuff, but it looked either too Luminoth, cartoony or Protoss, and was dropped.
    dominancedoodling3lo8.png

Going back a bit, and realizing that 'there is no difference between technology and magic', I came up with this (rough!) concept:
    dominancedoodling5kr8.png

Yeah, it's all still very simple and rough, but techy bits can come in when the general shape and idea has been defined, right?
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    dominancedoodling5kopieoa4.png

Expanding, but I'm somehow not very able to draw in detail on the big picture. Might be worth going back to thumbnails and doing some detail sketches.

Glowy bits are clich
  • Zwebbie
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickie weapon idea

dominancedoodling8mp7.png
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Real life pencil action! Weapon needs to fit the magic part of the theme more, will work on that.
    I've set the end of this week as the final date for the concept, after that, it's making orthos.

dominancedoodling9zr4.png
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. Totally unhappy with the drawing, but the design is there. Head needs work, this tribal-esque style is not what I was going for.
    dominancedoodling12dq4.png
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally something I'm happy with. Orthographics smile.gif !

dominancedoodling13jb0.png

Details will be added in modeling stage, because I just know that I'd fiddle with them in 3D anyway if I added them onto the orthos :P
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Stands at 3600 polies at the moment.

dominancemodelling2by6.png
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Hurrah, I got a reply ^_^

Weapon at 946 polygons, the character himself at 5792.

dominancemodelling5tl7.png
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    good work man! if you want any crits, I'd say he's looking a little flat and un-dynamic.. I know its just a basepose but if you can get a bit of curve into his spine and stance it usually translates well into further poses..

also that armour on the upper arm close to the elbow- just wondering if thatll deform well? might be worth a test
    good progress though!
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Rooster. I curved him a bit and added some loops in the arms smile.gif

Started on the head. Now I finally know why there are so many bald characters around! Hair is a pain. Needs lots of work still.

dominancetexturingxs3.png
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's Lemmy!

Pretty cool texturing start, I like the style, although the lips look a little brown right now.
    His feet also look a bit oversized, if you want to leave them that big, it might be an idea to increase the length of the legs, or otherwise bulk up his body.

Keep it up! smile.gif
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP - thanks. I make placeholder lips with my skin colour to get an idea of what it looks like, but I always forget to actually make real ones crazy.gif
    I'll make his boots smaller. I didn't realize they caught that much attention, and smaller will probably fit better with him too, being not armoured to the teeth

Very WIP still. Thank heaven for the extension!

I'm not sure how I can add any sensible detail to the golden flamethrower-masks on his arm. Some sharper lines, yes, but I doubt that's enough for something that will inevitably catch attention.

dominancetexturing2aw9.png
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished! I was ill during the weekend and today, so it's not all that great. It isn't going to win me any prizes, but I've had fun and learned a lot : )

I can't update the top posts anymore for some reason. Anyway:

Winning Pose With Cheapest Base Ever: dwwinningposekh1.jpg

Texture Sheet:
    dwtexturesheetqf0.png

Construction Sheet:
    dwconstructionsheetqa5.png

Concept Sheet:
    dwconceptsheetnk6.png

Beauty:
    dwbeautyaz6.jpg