Home Royalties or Post-Launch Compensation Work

Looking for Artist - Hand-Drawn textures

13409_984246144932884_2925214043141839536_n.png?oh=5b242f830a31fa1487acc5247bf6a518&oe=55C7CDB5

Greetings PC,
Thank you for taking the opportunity to read my thread. I'm the lead designer and programmer of a 3D physics-based side scrolling platformer. The project has been in the works for quite some time and it's nearing it's first announcement on KickStarter this summer. I'm looking for an artist who is interested in this project and wants to be apart of a fantastic team of developers. I need someone who is capable of creating hand-drawn digital textures for various atmospheres this game has to offer.

The first step of this project is to create JUST enough to show KickStarter why our game is worth their money. I only ask for assets that will cover minimal amounts of work for all developers on this project. I do not expect anyone to spend late nights trying to finish textures on a tight deadline, I am completely willing to work with you to make both of our lives easier and productive with a vision to pay everyone kindly for their hard work and dedication to this game.

I want to tell you a little information about this project and why I need YOU to be our artist. This game has been my life for the last 10 years and 6 months. I've made many prototypes and variations to the story and game design document to make this a game that I believe will be a favorite amongst gamers everywhere. The game revolves around our protagonist, Comik-- A science experiment who failed to meet the expectations of his creator. Upon failing his calibration tests, Comik was quickly disposed of down a trash chute to the creature's hopeful demise. Comik finds himself in a large underground cave with large trash chutes extruding from the ceiling. He notices several signs and purpose-made paths to guide him to an unknown area. Eventually he locates an underground town filled with other creatures like him, albeit, unique in their own abilities. Comik fits in and is favored for his willingness to help out and finds himself in a position to lead his fellow creatures out of the town made of scraps.

The game is a comedic platformer utilizing physics as it's main mechanic to create fun and interesting puzzles for the player. The game is narrated and contains voice acting for all NPC characters to create an active and living world for the player to be apart of. With YOUR help, we can discard all my "Programmer art" and create something beautiful for the players.

A few things I'm looking for:
- Ability to create hand drawn graphics in 256x256, 512x512 in *.PNG format.
- Ability to chat over Skype at least once a week minimum. (Not voice/cam)
- Past artwork or a portfolio
- Interest in this project and a good attitude! We're all great people so I'm sure you'll meet new friends and broaden your developer network!
- Ideas! You're not JUST creating textures, you're an artist! I love to hear your ideas, after all-- you're an equal developer.
- Ability to create seamless textures for clean tiling.

By no means are we trying to be a professional company. We are indie developers following our dreams and hope one day to make a living of it. I want the same for you and the rest of the team. I'd love to hear from you on Skype if you have any questions at all. I hope I can clear up any questions with a quick F.A.Q below;

F.A.Q

Q: What will I be paid?
A: This is undecided until we're able to speak. We will discuss numbers and agree on a fair amount and add this to our KickStarter goal. As I am unsure of post-sales on the game so I do not do "profit sharing". Again, this will be discussed over Skype.

Q: What platforms will this be released on?
A: Our goal is PC and Android. If the KickStarter provides us with enough funding, we will reach out to Xbox One and PS4 players.

Q: What am I doing exactly?
A: You will be provided a list of needed textures and what they're used for. Initially I'd love to see your first creation before you go on to do more to ensure it fits with the vision of the game. I'm not very strict, but would love to see everything flow nicely together. I'm sure you would too! Afterwards you will finish the short list and I'll get everything into the game for you to test. You are the artist-- if we're happy with the final result and touch up anything out of place, I will go ahead and get a trailer put together for KickStarter.

Q: What is the deadline
A: The goal is to get the KickStarter up this summer. At the moment there are no strict deadlines as, firstly, I am unable to pay you until the project is fully funded and if you are able to get a project that pays initially I do not want to tie you down. I understand that your talent may put food on your table so it's important that you're free to do so.

Q: Is this project directed, or am I free to do whatever?
A: Yes, this project is directed and follows a vision. However, you ARE the artist and your ideas and abilities will be the determining factor of the finished product. As with any developer on any project, your style impacts the final vision to create something that nobody but us could create.

And with that, I must return to the project. I wish you all the best of luck and I am very excited to hear back from you.

E-mail: Nathaniel.Elwood@gmail.com

I am usually always available and will respond quickly!

- Nate

Replies