Home General Discussion

Making Art tests and not getting response from employers

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Axcel polycounter lvl 14
Hello, from some time I'm struggling to get a full-time job as a 3D artist in United Kingdom, which is a new place for living to me. What wonders me is that I have made art tests for two highly recognizable and prestigious studios. During making these art tests, before deadline I had a good contact via e-mail. This means that I received responses in next working day for my inquiries. BUT... after I finished my art tests and sending to them I did not received any reply. In one's company case it was already over 1,5 month ago and second art test I finished just a few days ago, but situation unfortunately looks very similar.
Obviously I sent e-mails with inquiries about progress of my application or request for feedback (to the first company only).

Really I don't know what to think about all of this. I don't have much experience in getting job but I am sure that level of quality of my art tests should guarantee at least honest response from employers.
Maybe someone could share a thought about this issue?

Replies

• MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    I personally feel it's one of the problems with this industry.
    They are basically asking you to work for free for them; they might glance at your test, and then decide in a few seconds you're not worth an interview. All the while not providing any feedback. In this industry we need feedback to get better at our craft.

I feel most studios should carefully evaluate all candidates and offer a paid art test at least.
    Asking someone to put in 40-80 hours for free is really insulting.
    But, unfortunately, with business it's a supply and demand issue. Too many guys want in, they know they can ask for it and get it.

And Axcel, you do good work, I can understand your frustration.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    mhm no nothing realy guarantees a reply.

even if you are pretty good, you dont know what competition you have, so you might just be another fish in the pond. even if you are on e of the better fish, they wont reply to the top 5 or something, they proly just reply to the guy they want to hire.

i had something like this once and i send them a mail that this behavior is rude and unprofessional, and surprisingly i got a reply and a very in depth personal review of my art test.

realy the professional thing to do for them is to atleast send you a copy paste-message that they chose another applicant.

maby the HR guy has too many mails, or maby they just dont care, could be both, but there is nothing you can do about it, i know it sucks.
  • kingcobra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it can be frustrating, i took test with very well known studio and very next day after I turn in the test, they want me to speak with couple of their lead. after that nothing..

not even an email. I tried to contact them but had no luck. this kind of thing happened to me number of times.

My advise is Just move forward.... do not expect too much from them, and keep producing ..
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    move on. You don't want to work for a place like this. I did an art test once that played out exactly the same way - for Team Bondi.

It's one thing to not answer when you receive a gazillion of resumes. But when you ask somebody to spend unpaid time on your art test, you better respond - no matter the outcome or quality. That's just common courtesy. Really, places like this should be ashamed of themselves and their shoddy practices.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Depends on how the studio is set up.

There are legal reason why most companies don`t get into giving feedback. I got reamed at one of my early jobs for giving feedback and the reasons (directly forwarded from CEO to attorney to me) was a bit like this:
    • Can turn into a pissing match of "I do have talent, but this test was not in my favor...", "I can edit the work and do this...", "I can do that...", "why didn`t you see this spot where I did this...?" etc.. Harsh words might be said in the unsupervised exchange of emails and someone can get "hurt". Not all artist use tact at delivering feedback. And even if tact is used, people are people...
    • Feedback can be contorted into discrimination, which can be used to sue the company in question. Rare cases though... you all know how people can be when they get harsh feedback and they are not used to it.
    • Feedback must be approved to give out (usually involving law-speakanese).
    There was more stuff they said, but the above is a summary. This may not be the case and up to the individual studios to deal with this on their terms. I used to get pissed when I got zero feedback. But after I got in trouble and had the attorney explain to me why I shouldn't, I don't get pissed anymore. I move on.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Even if a studio doesn't give feedback, ideally, they should still send out some sort of generic rejection email.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Even if a studio doesn't give feedback, ideally, they should still send out some sort of generic rejection email.
    That`s what the rejections emails are for. Cold... like Gazpacho soup.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    makes sense regarding the legal issues. I wouldn't expect much artistic feedback for an art test - the art test's purpose isn't to teach you or to give you critique (although it would be nice from an applicant's point of view). But they should let you know how they intend to proceed and in what time range you can expect to hear from them again, regardless if they want to hire you or not. That'd be the professional thing to do. Just cutting off communication isn't.
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Thank you for your answers. I wouldn't blame whole company right away because just one's guy laziness or unprofessionalism.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »

....unless they get your name completely wrong, at that point its just infuriating.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Lamont wrote: »
    Depends on how the studio is set up.

There are legal reason why most companies don`t get into giving feedback. I got reamed at one of my early jobs for giving feedback and the reasons (directly forwarded from CEO to attorney to me) was a bit like this:
    • Can turn into a pissing match of "I do have talent, but this test was not in my favor...", "I can edit the work and do this...", "I can do that...", "why didn`t you see this spot where I did this...?" etc.. Harsh words might be said in the unsupervised exchange of emails and someone can get "hurt". Not all artist use tact at delivering feedback. And even if tact is used, people are people...
    • Feedback can be contorted into discrimination, which can be used to sue the company in question. Rare cases though... you all know how people can be when they get harsh feedback and they are not used to it.
    • Feedback must be approved to give out (usually involving law-speakanese).
    Wow a simple, 'thankyou for your time but we have chosen someone else' seems to me like common courtesy. Getting people to do work for nothing and not bothering to respond seems the bloody limit.

To the op, your work looks great mate, keep applying you will wind up with a job in no time.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I think a lot of the time, if you are are getting no response after a number of weeks, it could be:
    • They've chosen someone else, but are still in negotiations, or want them to start the job before committing to giving you a rejection. They are covering their bases by keeping you as a maybe.
    • They think you are a possibility, but wanted someone a bit better, so want to wait to see who else applies.
    • The position is on hold as they are just really busy suddenly.
    • It's a no, but they are unprofessional or too busy to tell you.

But who knows....After contacting them and getting no response, move on.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    As others said it's best to move send, and apply to multiple companies at the same time. You don't get response from one, well, maybe in other you might be more lucky ?

The sad truth is, that there myriad of reasons, why you don't get reply.
    Email has been read by wrong person (luck issue), and have been trashed instantly.
    Person who read that have bad day..
    Someone, turned better than you.
    Fun thing is all those reasons are equally viable..

What is really annoying is that there is no response at all. It's just plain insulting and lack of respect. I don't care what you write. If you send me email with simple No, it will feel better than no response at all.

I have bee applying recently for job as Gameplay Programmer (bit unrelated note), I have send several poor made resumes (mainly because I haven't really worked professionally as programmer, nor do I have any degree in CS, you can call me self taught in ever respect).
    But I have some projects on Github related to UE4.

To said it simply. Most companies did not responded at all. One refereed me to other site, to look for job (in game indstury), coz they don't look for programmers right now. One send me a test, which I have done in few hours and send back. After that nothing.

One, asked me for onsite interview (lasted about 30-40 minutes) and gave me a task, to make game, with my own deadline. (I said one week :D). Fun fact, they also were interested in art I have done, besides programming.

I haven't had response for like 2.5 weeks, but... I got response and I landed a job. For now anyway.

Moral of the story. Keep pushing. And if you feel you can do something in other field, try it, improve over it.
    If you can apply to position in QA, or basically anything related in game industry that you feel you might do (if you want to work in game industry), you never know what might happen.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Do you guys think some companies use art test for free work?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a really inefficient way to generate assets.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Some of the shadier and less well funded devs out there, maybe. But they're hardly the kinds of companies to get enough applications that they could actually do that efficiently.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My wife when she was looking for a new job as a sales person, applied to almost 40 companies across the span of 3 months. She only got 4 replies and none of them accepted her.

What i'm trying to say is that not receiving response from employer is just the way it is. Not just CG, but every thing. Consider a privilege if you get 1 but there really is no reason to waste time trying to argue they should reply or anything of that matter.

Put your energy into your reel, create awesome stuff, improve your skill, and into applying for different company. That's a more productive way to use your energy.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont hit on something very real as well. The legal aspect. We've been given strict instructions on what we can say to applicants, what we can ask them, etc.

It's the world we live in. People will sue when upset and not getting hired tends to upset people.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    i'd recommend having your portfolio linked in your sig if you're looking for work - took me a google search of your name from your linked in account to find it and, although i'm not a recruiter, someone reading this might be...
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Had a 4 and a half month rejection yesterday from a company over here which I did a test for over christmas (never again). And as said in the thread, general communication was there throughout the test then ceased to exist after the completion with no feedback what so ever.

There are some really good ones I've seen set-up which structure feedback and process into the test, but that seems to be really rare, having taken multiple tests over the last few years and generally having long waits and generic template replies.

Just pick and choose your tests, if they seem unstructured or are asking for 2 weeks of work then have a quick think to yourself regarding what you're going to get out of the 2 weeks if everything goes badly. (Folio assets / etc), don't take every test given to you for the sake of it.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I'd say just ask up front...will you get back to me either way??
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    do you want to work for a company that neglects their partners with no feedback? ... sounds like you've dodged an abusive business relationship that wasn't pragmatic anyways, rejoice!
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Lamont hit on something very real as well. The legal aspect. We've been given strict instructions on what we can say to applicants, what we can ask them, etc.
    That's no excuse for not replying after receiving an art test. Follow up if you don't hear back. If you never receive a reply then it simply comes down to them being unprofessional, and I'd bet that they're a passive-aggressive person with a chip on their shoulder.

For me to do an art test I would have to be very eager to work for the company. I would need to benefit enough from having the piece in my portfolio, and I would get them to agree to proper feedback before starting. I would also try to get some payment for the test. I only do an art test if I still get enough out of it without getting the job. So I still gain from it if worst comes to worst. Ask Dilated Peoples.
    DireWolf wrote: »
    What i'm trying to say is that not receiving response from employer is just the way it is. Not just CG, but every thing

I've actually found the CG industry to be worse than retail/restaurant/trade in this regard. When you get people busting their balls for days/weeks, handing over their work for no money, sending polite follow-up emails to know where they stand, but not even getting a reply out of common courtesy. Well that says it all really.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth

It's the world we live in. People will sue when upset and not getting hired tends to upset people.

i think thats still kind of a cop out.

if the applicant is from another country he probably wont even be able to sue you, and i have never seen any news headline about a company giving bad feedback about an arttest.

also you are demanding free work with no pay, wich is in itself a shady business practice.
    if you are going to get sued, its over that, and not over giving a nice formal reply, that you chose another applicant.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't misunderstand ... a courtesy note telling you that the test was received, or you didn't get the job, or whatever is fine. That SHOULD happen. What can't happen is critique and specifics of why they didn't pick you.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What can't happen is critique and specifics of why they didn't pick you.
    Whenever I've asked for feedback, I've never been told no due to legal reasons. Maybe different countries. I'll have to look into it.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way I see it in a perfect world:
    • Send art test
    • Immediately get an email that it has been received and is being reviewed. In said email let the applicant know that a follow-up email will be sent with results.
    • A couple days/weeks later, get reply. Generic or personal. Either way: A REPLY THAT IT HAS BEEN REVIEWED.. If it says come in for an interview or Skype, or sorry but we...
    • In that same email, ask the applicant if they would want a short review of their work. Let them know that due to the amount of applicants it might take a bit of time. In this email have it have a small legal document that it is not a blah, blah, blah, legal, blah... and by saying yes they can`t get bitchy.
    • Then in a month, 6 weeks, two months an email that has been approved to send out, is sent from the reviewing artist(s) via HR to the applicant with feedback as to what went right and what went wrong.

In the end: WE WANT TO KNOW. Did our stuff get lost in the piles of applicants and looked over? It is nerve bending.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Even just a simple response would be enough. That should be the very least that they do with the amount of effort that individuals are putting into these tests.
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Just taking in consideration the wrong examples is not good...
    While applying there are companies which are gonna give you an answer and some that won't. And sometimes there are a lot of reasons behind no getting an answer (bigger issues).
    A lot of companies use actually software for this kind of stuff, so you know how the overall progress is at the moment.

Can you imagine to answer 400 ppl just for one position? what about if you got 20 opened positions ?

Honestly, somebody already said it here, when applying do a massive thing... and expect just to get an answer from half of it. Timing also is important.... video game cycles works in 2-3 years projects... sometimes there is a lot of work....sometimes there is not at all...

Also a lot of companies got opened positions that had been already filled.

And again... make it easy for people to find you... signatures in polycount, linkedin...

Im sure for every bad experience, is gonna be a good experience...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I think for the company's sake and the applicants this is how things should go ideal...
    • Submit Art Test
    • Email sent to applicant that test has been received along with a ROUGH approximation of how long it takes them to review tests. Be it a few weeks or month (most studios know how long it takes them if they have been doing this for a while)
    • Email sent to applicant after review processes is complete letting them know there test has been reviewed. This email could include...
      • If they want to have an interview with you, phone, skype, onsite.
      • If they feel you need to make adjustments to the test and turn it back in
      • If they are passing on you as a candidate
      • If they are going to hold onto your application for future review

And thats is, there is no reason for a company to spend time to give to a critique. You of course as the test taker would LOVE that but its not realistic from a business standpoint. With the sheer volume a lot of these company's deal with its impossible to do so.

The amount of time leads have to put into actually interviewing and dealing with people who ARE good enough to hire is quite a lot. They don't have time to review peoples art test and give feedback. Its unfortunately unrealistic.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    treating people with respect that gets you on "top employer" lists, which just attracts more talent your way.

nah, it's free soft drinks, that make you obese, and a gym, everyone is too busy to use because of crunch, that get you there ;)
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I'm curious what type of studios often give the "no-response" treatment.

If it's a huge, very well known, AAA studio, then I could understand.

However, do smaller studio located in the middle of nowhere give no response or contact information?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    OP's problem seems more like "sudden loss of communication" rather than "no response" at all - i.e. sending your resume to a black hole. The black hole issue is fairly common though and there are plenty of good reasons why it happens. But people just stopping to respond in the middle of a started recruiting process??
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ideally the art test should come AFTER a phone interview.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12

Amen. That's probably the thing I hate the most about art tests. How about before I put in 40-80 hours of what is essentially free, overtime work we chat in person for 5 minutes? Being asked to work for free without even knowing if I like their vibe or not always seemed to me like a dick move.
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Amen. That's probably the thing I hate the most about art tests. How about before I put in 40-80 hours of what is essentially free, overtime work we chat in person for 5 minutes? Being asked to work for free without even knowing if I like their vibe or not always seemed to me like a dick move.

Sometimes is about making the right decision and not doing 40 hours art test without even an interview :)
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    JordanN wrote: »
    I'm curious what type of studios often give the "no-response" treatment.

If it's a huge, very well known, AAA studio, then I could understand.

However, do smaller studio located in the middle of nowhere give no response or contact information?

when i was looking for a job, it was what, 2010 i think (since 2011 i dont update my folio hehe), i applied for a studio in naples, italy. a small one, called raylight studios. dev working together with nintendo for portable titles. i figured it would have been a good idea, since 1) i live in the area, 2) there are few italian 3d artists, 3) fewer good ones, 4) even fewer wanting to be pros. so it would have been a good shot.

guess what?

no reply.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yes, agreed. Art test should be one of the last things done, not one of the first. Make sure you're interested in that person before wasting 40 hours of their lives on a test.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, agreed. Art test should be one of the last things done, not one of the first. Make sure you're interested in that person before wasting 40 hours of their lives on a test.

Companies often don't really know exactly who they want to hire so they fish around and see what they catch.

It's refreshing to be interviewed for work in other industries. They ask direct questions about specific skills and specific problems, and then ask for some references. They check references, call me the next day and tell me I'm hired. Boom, done.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    RyanB wrote: »
    Companies often don't really know exactly who they want to hire so they fish around and see what they catch.

It's refreshing to be interviewed for work in other industries. They ask direct questions about specific skills and specific problems, and then ask for some references. They check references, call me the next day and tell me I'm hired. Boom, done.

i can't tell if you are being sarcastic... i realy can't
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator

isn't that the norm? or are you saying that..... ?!? wtf

good to know though that many in the industry aren't just treating their customers as potential thieves, but that the same distrust exists when it comes to the people working for them /sarcasm
    Unless you're probing for very specific skills, art tests say "we don't quite fully believe that you really did the stuff we see in your folio".
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    isn't that the norm? or are you saying that..... ?!? wtf
    Definitely not the norm. Of all of the times I've been asked to do an off-site art test, it's been asked at the very start. And that's from companies of all sizes.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    I wrote a QA test for a company and was passed on, only after e-mailing in asking for an update was I told they were looking for someone with more experience.

They knew up front I had no QA experience... why give me the test? Why waste my time and give false hope.

-I actually did the same test twice for them, first time I think the job went to someone internal or they lost a project and no longer needed the position - but I did get an interview after the test, unlike the second time (over a year later) they said they were LOOKING for someone more experienced, not went with... which hurts the feels real bad :P

anyway my struggle to get into the industry continues, thought QA would be a decent way to start but I have no luck with that or 3D sadly

anyone in Ontario or Canada for that matter that likes my stuff and thinks they can help me out with a jr. role please let me know : )
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    personally I would not hassle them, just do the test and wait. I had an offer six months after I applied a few years back. Turned out to be a shit company but anyway...

In any case if you make a big song and dance about the fact you didn't get hired, it might put employers off

In the mean time just carry on applying without any expectation.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Yea, sadly this is the nature of the business. After you go through it once, you learn to deal with it. If you end up with any job that you apply to, you are fortunate. Art tests really suck but it's pretty much the only way studios do it now. What kinda sucks even more is I'm pretty sure applicant A could have a better art test than applicant B but if B has a connection at the studio, they will prob get the gig. Your folio is super key but I think connections are just as important.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure I will never be desperate enough for a job to do an art test for free. I never applied to companies in the past that had them. I don't have time for that. I honestly don't understand why so many of you think it's ok. It's unprofessional.

Well, I guess I understand. Lots of you think working on games is your purpose in life, which is just not true for me. I happily took a job in advertising over a games job because the advertising studio I work for is awesome.

edit: would you take an art test for a freelance client? Fuck no.

edit again: Does anyone here really think they can't get a gauge of someone's ability by their portfolio?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    While nepotism is obviously a bad thing, I do encourage people to network. Especially if you're naturally introverted, because it won't happen for you as effortlessly in that case. Who you know WILL help you in this industry.

Gauging based on portfolio alone has it's own pittfalls, especially for entry-level artists, as they have no production work in their portfolio where you know there was a deadline behind the work. You have no way of truly knowing how long it took the artist to make those assets. All the negatives of art tests aside, they do have the benefit of leveling the playing field. Every applicant is making the exact same asset, so there is less room for subjectivity when reviewing the work because there is zero disparity in the subject matter. If you're working full time while taking the test, I wouldn't hesitate to tell them so and ask for more time than they wold give someone who is ostensibly working on the test all day and night.

Don't get me wrong, I think art tests suck too, but I can also sort of understand why they exist.

If you're hiring someone with zero production experience, then guess what. You're gonna have to train them to do things properly. Additionally, if you're hiring someone with zero experience, they're probably gonna start off slow, and get faster as they get used to the job.

And even if you give someone an art test, you have no idea how long the asset took them. Maybe they didn't sleep for a week. Maybe they worked on it for 30 minutes a day.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    In any case if you make a big song and dance about the fact you didn't get hired, it might put employers off
    But that's not what people are pissed off about. As the OP says, it's when they have no intention of replying. It's either a yes, no, or undecided. When someone has put in all of that time to do the art test, and they then get blanked? Well that's just being a prick whatever way you look at it.
    aesir wrote: »
    would you take an art test for a freelance client? Fuck no.
    I've had a few big studios request an art test before they could put me on their freelance books. I simply declined and told them that I don't have the time to work for free. But some of the replies and the sense of self entitlement to my free labour was quite insulting.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    And even if you give someone an art test, you have no idea how long the asset took them. Maybe they didn't sleep for a week. Maybe they worked on it for 30 minutes a day.
    Exactly. It's a totally flawed process. The best hiring process that I've experienced is where the company brought the top 10 candidates into the studio for 1/2 day, based on our portolio and cv. We were given a tour of the studio, interviewed and asked to complete several on-site tests. No time wasting. A fair and appropriate evaluation. Our food, travel and accommodation were covered. They personally replied via email to all of the candidates. Worked well for all parties.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    best thing is still folio work. that suffices as info on your skills.