Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls Online -- Alliance Cinematic Trailer

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 10
Lot of big guns coming out today

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IzSkymiYcA"]The Elder Scrolls Online -- Alliance Cinematic Trailer [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• slipsius
    ho....ly.....crap..
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I applied for the CBT :)
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    Blur does it again! :) Looks pretty damn awesome!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Holy crap.....the bridge scene is feckin INCREDIBLE! The blue hooded dude is a badass :D Thought it would be Blur after seeing the level of quality in that cinematic. I especially shot 3:03-3:05 where he draws the bow was really well done, so realistic XO
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty damn awesome.

As far as gameplay, it seems like it's hinting towards a few things. It seems like there are 3 main characters, the Berserker one, the Bow&Arrow guy, and the Wizard chick. Then it seems each one has secondary characters with them that are all identical to one another (within that group). So that seems to hint at having a henchmen system. Then at the end all 3 of them meet, and they don't seem too happy about it. So that hints at the area/dungeon they're in being open-world, and that PvP may occur over spawns.

Anyone else catch any of that? Or am I just reading too much into it?
  • bounchfx
    incredible trailer, except that it doesn't say Elder Scrolls to me at all outside of being fantasy.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    bounchfx wrote: »
    incredible trailer, except that it doesn't say Elder Scrolls to me at all outside of being fantasy.
    You see the Imperial City out in the distance.
  • throttlekitty
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Pretty damn awesome.

As far as gameplay, it seems like it's hinting towards a few things. It seems like there are 3 main characters, the Berserker one, the Bow&Arrow guy, and the Wizard chick. Then it seems each one has secondary characters with them that are all identical to one another (within that group). So that seems to hint at having a henchmen system. Then at the end all 3 of them meet, and they don't seem too happy about it. So that hints at the area/dungeon they're in being open-world, and that PvP may occur over spawns.

Anyone else catch any of that? Or am I just reading too much into it?

They're part of factions vying for cosmic power. The last shot with them circling each other with the cut into the three-headed ouroboros puts this into symbolism that they also use in the logo. I wouldn't say you're reading too much into it. Hard to say about henchmen, despite each party having a leader who obviously is the Hero, I had initially thought this implied the multiplayer aspect.
  • HardBaller
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    O-M-F-G amazing. I really really love this trailer. And it's really inspiring as well to someone like me who's currently learning.

Btw. is it just me or does anyone else also get the feeling that Cyrodiil and Skyrim are linked with a big border wall. Seeing a small bit of terrain and the nord that came crawling (i'm guessing) from there up into the wall and then the white gold tower of the imperial city of Cyrodiil on the other side. Really hope they show some more in the next trailer (if there's going to be any).
  • Overlord
    I don't see what's so awe inspiring about this. I love TES, but this trailer was just boring. It was full of hollow characters that were predictable cliched archetypes, doing stuff that's been done a million times over. It was all action, no narrative. Was this directed by Michael Bay? It's like they geared it towards people that just want to see lots of people gutting each other on the screen. Since when is an RPG more about bloody combat and less about narrative? I just don't get it. When I look at an RPG I expect there to be a story driving it, not hoards of enemies dismembering each other. Does anyone else feel confused?

I'm seriously disappointed by this trailer. It leaves me not knowing one bit about the conflict in the story. The trailer is supposed to make me care about what happens and I don't. Why do those people square off at the end of the trailer? Why are they enemies and why are they all after the same target? Who are the people defending the tower? These are questions they left hanging while feeding us mindless blood and guts. It was a trailer without any substance. Big deal, they beat the hell out of each other with high fidelity visual effects. That's not really all that novel anymore. I just can't get excited by this. Trailers for previous Elderscroll games were far more engaging.
  • uncle
    I feel the same as bounchfx and Overlord. CG is impressive, that's it. No story, no TES feel.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    A very nice executed cinematic. Nicely choreographed work on the bridges.

Though, all these MMO cinematics... I just feel like they're false advertising to be honest. The actual game never plays like this.

Take, for example, a party moving through the dungeon. The camera is low like we see with a lot of 3rd person single player games these days, there is moody lighting, the characters are interacting with the environment etc.

But the actual games are not like this. It's just avatars spazzing around, not actually interacting with anything.

I know it would probably be suicide because you would alienate the 'perfomance' MMO crowd due to the game design (not having a clear field of vision, slowness/awkwardness attributed to better animations etc.), but what about the 'experience and adventure' MMO crowd?

When Blizzard call their next MMO 'next gen' I really hope they mean an experience more representative of what we see in these promotional clips, and not just shinier shaders and bigger texture maps.
    If anyone can take such a brave step and pull it off its those guys anyway.

As for that cinematic in particular, I feel the factions are all very samey looking, which is unfathomable really when you consider the diversity on show in the ES series in general.

Also there is no way troops would dash across rope bridges like that with such ease. They'd be balancing themselves by holding their arms out at least, if not moving considerably slower.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Overlord wrote: »
    It leaves me not knowing one bit about the conflict in the story. The trailer is supposed to make me care about what happens and I don't. Why do those people square off at the end of the trailer? Why are they enemies and why are they all after the same target? Who are the people defending the tower?

Sometimes trailers are meant to instill curiosity and leave you wanting to know more, which this seems to have done very well. They're probably counting on that curiosity leading some to purchase the game. I don't see why a trailer should have to answer all these questions, and really, how much story can you expect from a trailer to begin with?

I loved it, even if it was just a lot of eye candy. The whole bridge scene was jaw dropping.
  • wasker
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, that was pretty awesome.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Overlord wrote: »
    I just can't get excited by this. Trailers for previous Elderscroll games were far more engaging.

Well to be fair, its a Blur cinematic and has to have a lot of action (take the intro for Star Wars Old republic for example.) Also, I can understand there being the need to add a lot of action to get more fans interested as its being targeted at a very wide MMO audience.

I wonder whether its more a case that the die-hard TES fans are appalled by the fact its becoming an online franchise, therefore taking a 'meh' attitude towards the game?
  • Overlord
    Sometimes trailers are meant to instill curiosity and leave you wanting to know more, which this seems to have done very well. They're probably counting on that curiosity leading some to purchase the game. I don't see why a trailer should have to answer all these questions, and really, how much story can you expect from a trailer to begin with?

I loved it, even if it was just a lot of eye candy. The whole bridge scene was jaw dropping.

But it sorely lacks the call to action previous TES trailers have generated. It doesn't feel TES. It feels generic fantasy.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    too much assassins creed influence
  • Mithdia
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlEipFtHw7o"]The Elder Scrolls Online - Gameplay Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Mithdia wrote: »

Well that actually looks pretty great so I guess I'll STFU. :D
  • jfeez
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    I fear for my social/working life when this game comes out...
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Cinematics are great and all, but the gameplay trailer has my attention.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    jfeez wrote: »
    I fear for my social/working life when this game comes out...

Amen bro XO

^^ I love the jump 'n' slash in the video at 4:06 :D

EDIT: Was looking for info on class types in the game, came across this:

http://elderscrollsonline.info/classes
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Is it just me, or does the game look a step away from real towards toony? I just had this very much MMO feel about it, like its more simplistic. Dunno.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    McGreed wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does the game look a step away from real towards toony? I just had this very much MMO feel about it, like its more simplistic. Dunno.

Yes, you have to simplify things to get an MMO out at a reasonable budget and time frame. I'm sure the scheduled time per asset at Zenimax Online is only a fraction of what artist get at Bethesda Softworks.
  • Athomield
  • geradarys
    Awesome trailer and news for big Elder Scrolls fan! Although, I hope there's going to be more characters to choose from.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Got into the beta, its pretty sad but still 'ok'

Elder scrolls fans have asked for a storyless coop option, where your friend can just walk around with you and be completely ignored by the story. It wouldn't affect the story elements at all.... But instead they go and make a full fledged mmo? Not to mention fans of the genre don't want it to be an mmo.

I can see the game going free to play before 2015 easily, and if it does it will be better than GW2.

It's not worth $15 a month, though.

And if you buy the collectors edition you get a unique race and can be any race on any alliance + a free horse (which are quite hard to get)... Really? It hasn't even been released and I already have a bad taste in my mouth.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I was in the beta too, felt the same way. Its alright, difficult to find an MMO that's been as exciting as vanilla/BC WoW :D
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I've been in beta as well. Well without telling much I can saytwo things:
    1. PvE part really sux. I'd rather have fully instanced PvE, like Guild Wars 1, with option to play with other poeple in party, than current phase-heavy mess.
    2. PvP is quaite good, and if you can stand the pain that is leveling to 10, to get into PvP, it's going to be quite fun.

Unfortunetly the game is not worth sub fee, and really I mean reallym should start as B2P with comsetic item shop + paid PvE DLCs. It is simply not innovative enough, and TES is not even 1/4 as strong as brand as Star Wars, and look how SWTOR ended with subscription (;.

That said. I will probably buy it for PvP, play the free month, and the just wait till it go F2P to play again (;.

One thing. Imperdial Edition in PvP is just plain Pay 2 Win. Cyrdoil map is huge. I think it might be bigger than Planetside 2 single continent (!), and going anywhere without mount, take ages.
    Yes there are teleports, but mount still give big advantage on numbers you can amasss in period of time.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I played through two of the beta weekends, and as an elder scrolls fan - not so much an MMO fan - I'm loving it. I'm really kind of ignorant to the problems people are seeing, probably just due to my lack of experience with the genre.

They could put an elder scrolls logo on a rotten banana and I would buy the collector's edition. That said, I really had a great time... it was a blast for me and I can see myself spending many hours playing this. I'm excited.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    That's kinda the problem though Shiniku. The following will likely happen with very little variance:

Game will sell well, first quarter reviews show subscriptions are stable.
    Art staff get laid off as second quarter shows subscriptions dropping, this is because no new MMO to date has managed to retain the "content grinder" community who can literally clear all an mmo's pve content within the first couple of weeks of it going live.
    By the end of the year all that are left are the most die hard ES fans, who are "ignorant" of other MMO's. Big Bethesda will announce a new F2P model of TES:Online.
    The following quarter shows a huge increase in profits as both the die hard ES fans and "casual" players get suckered into paying over the top prices for everything they used to get by paying a subscription.

That's not necessarily the fault of TES:Online though, but a problem with MMO's period. It's been a predictable pattern for every major MMO since Warhammer Online (which never went f2p it should be mentioned).
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    Only exception of above was Guild Wars 2. Note that is started as B2P. What is even more astonishing that GW2 managed to increase in regular player base, and they hired more staff to work on game. An situation just unprecedented in MMO in past 10 years.

I can imagine EverQuest Next will also suceeded. For two reasons:
    1. It should be something new on the market.
    2. Content will be crowd sourced by players.

Other than that working on MMO is only for people who are looking for hardcore experience (;.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I'll just wait for Wildstar.
  • Gusti
    Judging from the first 10 levels only, I will say that I found it to be a nice change of pace from the regular MMO setup.
    Yes its a bit "dull", but that is simply something I expect at low levels in any MMO.
    WoW was boring as crap untill about half-way to max level in vanilla due to lack of abilities, cool gear and lack-luster low/mid level dungeons.

I found the questing in ESO very similar to other Elder Scrolls games.
    A little bit more linear, but that is to be expected when you take an openworld sandbox type of game, and try to "direct" progression due to it being an MMO.

I did how ever find the quests nice enough, that I enjoyed my short stay in the game during the stress weekend.
    Quite honestly I vastly prefer ESO at this point to Wildstar!
    Wildstar plays like WoW if you tossed in GW2´s dodge mechanic, and made the classes more boring.
    No class in Wildstar has given me the "ooh I want to level this and see how it gets!" feeling.
    They all just feel very bland to me, and the questing in WS is just boring as hell.
    Same homogenic kill X, get X, use device X when beasties are low on health stuff over and over and over and over again (closing in on lvl 30 in WS my self).

The PVP in ESO also harks back to Dark Age of Camelot in how it plays, while Wildstar is just WoW pvp all over again, with the added warplot stuff to try to make it interesting, which I personally just dont like the look of at all tbh.

The few videos I´ve seen of ESO pvp on youtube all have the same complaint.
    Dying means you have to walk back to the action unless someone revives you, and walking between keeps takes 5-15 minutes depending on your factions keep holdings.
    To me this is a plus.. Death should set you back!
    Wiping a raid on a keep should set you back 10-20 minutes as an attacking force, it makes taking a keep, or defending a keep more meaningfull.
    Having people die and come back in under 5 minutes just means an endless zerg fest, and leads to people not wanting to defend, but just swap keep control like it has turned out to be in GW2.
    Let them take it, fighting them over it is not worth it, and when they are done, we swoop in and take it back.

I remember in Dark Age of Camelot, that sometimes when your raid force died in the field, it took upwards to an hour to regroup everyone even before heading out again.
    It made battles more intense, and it gave more weight to winning or loosing fights while at the same time promoting more strategy over just bum-rushing keeps hoping for the best since you can almost instantly rejoin the action if you die.

I dont think this game warrants a subscription any less than Wildstar, or WoW for that matter.
    Personally I prefer subs over the flawed B2P or F2P models that always end up short changing you somewhere.
    I pay a sub, I get access to everything! Plus it weeds out a lot of the players that are just bad for the community as a whole.

But thats just my thoughts on the game after a rather limited time-frame.
    Time can only tell if the game holds my interest after release though, as it is with ALL mmo´s that I have tried over the years.

As for this thing.. "One thing. Imperdial Edition in PvP is just plain Pay 2 Win. Cyrdoil map is huge."
    How is allowing people to play ONE race that has no inherent benefit over another Pay 2 Win?
    Being an imperial gives you no actual advantage other than armor/weapon looks and one race-based skill line. In all other ways an imperial is no more, or less powerfull than any other race offered in the game.

I strongly dislike the fact that they limit the imperials to being a purchase only through the collectors edition, but it gives you no actual benefit over anyone, and is thus not a pay 2 win anything in any way, shape or form.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    I was referring to mount you get.
  • Gusti
    Yeah I figured after I wrote that, but everyone can get a mount.
    So a few people in your attack group getting to a keep in 4:45 mins instead of 5 mins or something is not game breaking or P2W either.

We dont even know if its actually any faster than the mounts you can get by playing at the higher levels.

So I still dont think its a P2W situation at all.
  • Skinpop
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    I played the beta last week. This game feels like a fossil. It's the same MMO formula as ten years ago but executed worse.
    Combat is absolutely horrible. First person view is a nice idea but the FOV makes it unusable. I don't see Zenimax getting a return on the $200 mil spent developing the game.