Home General Discussion

Shell Modifier - modeling plugin for Maya!

Klaudio2U
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
I noticed his video about Shell Modifier way back and it seems he is finally decided
to release it if there is enough interest!
I already contact him to try it out if possible so don't be shy and give a shout, share, contact him, comment, bug him, anything! ;)

Looks pretty sweet and nice time saver in modeling!
>> https://vimeo.com/124659059

His website link > https://janosh.carbonmade.com

Replies

• dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    I'm sorry for a noob question as I don't work in Maya but it looks like a standard feature for every 3d package. Does it mean that Maya doesn't have it by default?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    From what I saw from the video, Maya does NOT have those modeling tools.
  • Klaudio2U
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
    Maya does not have it the same as for example 3ds max shell modifier.

In Maya you have "Thickness" attribute when you Extrude, for example, or "Local Z" which would be
    the same effect as Shell Modifier but just requires one click more i guess.
    Indeed you can super easily make exactly the same in Maya by extruding, connecting edges, etc…but
    plugin does those few step all i one go and it seems quite flexibly in doing it so + you have
    kind of like "live preview" of you final mesh.

I am not saying we have revolution in modeling in out hands but for anyone doing a lot of modeling
    in Maya, as i am, this sure looks like nice time saver.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Maya's extrude doesn't work with complex curved polys, they will intersect. Something like this would be a god send.

I was showing this to some guys at work. I hope we can get our hands on this soon. I'd easily pay for it.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    this would be a very awesome tool to use in maya.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Super wrote: »
    I'd easily pay for it.

if you are willing to pay for it, why dont you just buy another modeling application that has it?
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Goeddy wrote: »
    if you are willing to pay for it, why dont you just buy another modeling application that has it?
    Because not everyone wants to switch to another application, pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for it and spend hundreds of hours learning new 3d package simply because they like this one particular feature.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18

You must not work in production.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    You must not work in production.

how do you extrapolate that from a single statement? am i lesser for using multiple modeling tools? is my studio worse for using multiple applications?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    how do you extrapolate that from a single statement? am i lesser for using multiple modeling tools? is my studio worse for using multiple applications?

good that your studio ticks like that, i always support free choice of modelling tools, but this is by far not the standard in this industry.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18

Lesser? No. Naive? Yes. You can't just change modelling packages in an established production pipeline like you implied.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Yes you can.

The only point where software matters is rigging and animation. Up until that point modelling data is identical between software.

it's all just verts normals, and uvs after all.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Muzz wrote: »
    Yes you can.

The only point where software matters is rigging and animation. Up until that point modelling data is identical between software.

it's all just vert's normals, and uv's after all.

Yeah because all we do is model a single object and uv it. There's no other constraints in a real pipeline.....

The assets for the last half a dozen movies I've worked on could not have been done in another application. It just wouldn't have worked.

Anyway.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Games are not movies. Games are far more homogenous in technology.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Yeah because all we do is model a single object and uv it. There's no other constraints in a real pipeline.....

The assets for the last half a dozen movies I've worked on could not have been done in another application. It just wouldn't have worked.

Anyway.

movies? and i thought we are in a game production forum.... aaaaanyways even for film

sorry to say so dude, but yes modelling can and should be free. of course there will be one program where it all connects together but this can be pretty much independent from the follow up pipeline. We work for many huge clients, and we can use whatever modelling app we want, as long as the final assets are working 100% error proof in maya or max.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I thought we were discussing a plug in, games or not.

Sorry to say so too dude but whether stuff should or shouldn't be the reality is you just can't, it's nothing to do with a client it's what the pipeline is built on. You just cannot always export an obj and it be that simple.

Hence the desire for this plug in. Christ.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just a general assumption that what is here is for games unless otherwise specified.

What sort of pissing contest are you trying to have anyway?

Sure there are workflows that might require one program, but are you really arguing with first hand experience of workflows that are flexible enough for artist preference through most of the production?

Unless somehow Neox's shipped games have been made incorrectly and they need to be recalled?
  • CafeNight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CafeNight polycounter lvl 5
    at nova days you must to know at least 10 programm, cuz they all sucks.
    and every year there are new programs for solving all issue
    for modelling alrady we have solid solutions like NVilo Blender Modo Silo
    for Other we have Softimage
  • Thoss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thoss polycounter lvl 10
    Blur still maintain a split Softimage/Max pipeline, right?

Software and pipelines are always fluid, it seems odd to declare that there is only one way of working. It's defined by a myriad of factors.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Did this just become a modeling flame war?
    SILENCE I SAY!

Back to the topic at hand. This plugin seems really great! props to the author. I would like this to be free, but I would like to support with donations given the opportunity.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks awesome, very much want!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    I thought we were discussing a plug in, games or not.

Sorry to say so too dude but whether stuff should or shouldn't be the reality is you just can't, it's nothing to do with a client it's what the pipeline is built on. You just cannot always export an obj and it be that simple.

Hence the desire for this plug in. Christ.

I agree, it is totally case dependent, and you don't always have the options to switch apps. I also agree that the plugin sounds great and if you are bound to maya for whatever reason, it would be well worth it's money. Maybe not on the first few assets, but if it is stable and reliable, it will pay off.
    Thats all fine, i think we are on the same page here.

Where I just can't agree, is your absolutistic standpoint regarding the pipeline.
    I would even go so far and claim, a pipeline that doesn't allow to work with any modelling tool, for the modelling stage (which is in a LOOOOOT of cases independent from anything).
    Is a bad pipeline.

I do agree, once rigging, setup, materials, whatever, come into play it probably needs to tunnel down. As maintaining many tools in that step can be horrible.
    But until then and unless it is a special case, as long as the modeller can absolutely make sure the results are identical, modelling, unwrapping etc can and should be free.

The argument i could understand is the companys legal standpoint of having their own licensed software and not a ton of other tools to maintain and update all the time. But this is totally not a pipeline argument, it is mostly about cost and could easily be worked around, with using blender for instance.

Your argument is just as valid as someone saying "all textures have to be done entirely in photoshop in a real pipeline"

i think we can all agree on how much bullshit this argument is. With tools like Mari, Substance, 3dcoat, bodypaint, mudbox and so on around. As long as the artist can guarantee the needed texture quality, in the needed time, he should be free to use any tool he wants. As long as the final output is what is needed.

Same goes for sculpting, and of course modelling.

You coming here claiming "you must not work in production" is just a horrible statement, just like

You must be working in a shitty work environment.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Many large studios have a strict requirement to use their designated software. For modelling or texturing or whatever. One of the reasons being that if you don't show up for work, quit you job or whatever, other modellers will be able to access your working files. They can't rely on you to output an .obj or .fbx for everything you've worked on. And they shouldn't be required to use software that's not the studio standard when accessing your work.

Same with texturing. They may need to access your working files rather than just a final flat output image, or even smaller resolution final image. If everyone uses Photoshop that isn't an issue.

Granted it's a bit over the top regarding control, but I can see the reasons.

Anywayz, cool plugin!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    purely for modelling, choice of package seems rather irrelevant. that's for creating entirely new stuff. as soon as you have to tweak existing assets and maintain whatever data is attached to those, things have more strings attached. but i find the create new bit the one were good modelling functionality and workflow is essential and makes all the difference.
    for tweaking usually you can live with a software that you don't like all that much.

anyway, shell modifier is very cool and last time i looked at maya there was nothing like it. in the meantime will check out that thickness in maya to see if it'ss any useful.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    It's out!!!

https://vimeo.com/126158173

This thing is amazing! Can't wait for more plugins from this guy!