Home Technical Talk

3ds Max Squashing UV's to exactly .5x/2x

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
Heyo all,

I've always been annoyed by this but I'm sure there's a way to do it. How do ya'll handle scaling UV's to half along U or V to get a 2:1 image from the origin?

say I have a piece of Geo already mapped to a 512x256, then I want to add geometry and texturespace to it by just doubling it to 512x512. How do you squash the stretched UV's from 2:1 down to 1:1?

(Sorry if I'm not being clear, obviously I know you can just scale it but I'm wondering how you scale from the origin so I don't need to fudge my UV's or texture)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    The bitmap will fill the 0-1 UV box, no matter what aspect ration the bitmap is. You can change the bitmap scale without having to scale the UVs, though you'll probably have to rearrange the islands, depending on how you change the layout.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    ah right, sorry I'm bad at explaining this

here's an image to explain it a little better

So I have my original setup at the top (UVs and Textures correspond), then i want to double the texture as shown below by just expanding the canvas. If I scale normally it uses the red point as the scale pivot, but I'd like to use the green dot as the scale pivot so that the uv position is EXACTLY the same, just shrunken.
    I know how to move the pivot, just not how to do everything precisely

shiznit.jpg

so I guess my questions: Is there a fancypants way to do this? and if not, how do I get the pivot handle of the freeform gizmo to snap to exactly 0,0 and scale to exactly 50%?
  • shadows
    Offline / Send Message
    shadows polycounter lvl 18
    If you're using Max you can use the UVW xform modifier to do that.
  • kary
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Does the UVWXform modifier work from the bottom left corner? (Sorry don't have max here so can only suggest that).
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man, I don't know if I've ever used that modifier. Your pants are ever so much fancier than mine.

thank you sirs!