Home General Discussion

Gotham (TV series)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
Here's the trailer for those who haven't seen:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1zpt6k5OI"]Official Extended Trailer | GOTHAM | FOX BROADCASTING - YouTube[/ame]

So, the first episode of Gotham just aired last night. It's a show about Commissioner Gordon just starting as a detective in a very corrupt Gotham city around the time Bruce Wayne's parents are killed, but long before he becomes Batman. Presumably.

What did people think? Minor spoilers below.

I can't really say it was bad, but as a Batman fan there are a lot of things that irk me. Mainly, how many of Batman's villains have already shown up. A big part of the Batman mythos is that most of these guys hit the scene as sort of a response to Batman, before Batman it was mostly ordinary thugs. Obviously they'd be missing out on something interesting if they didn't occasionally show some of these characters or hint at what they might become, but I feel like they went overboard. Also, was hat guy doing stand-up supposed to be the
Joker?

What I did enjoy though was just how bizarre the show was. Some people might see this is a complaint, but the time period is pretty ambiguous, and the characters and story seem to drift between typical crime TV show fare and complete craziness. I dunno, the show just had an interesting atmosphere to it.

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Haha! They managed to get hold of the rights to such a massive IP, and chose to air it on Fox? Genius :D!

It'll never get a second season no matter how good it does.
  • Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Good god, that looks so run of the mill.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I had high hopes, but overall I was a bit disappointed. Hopefully since it was the first episode things will improve as it goes along.

I too loved how bizarre it was, and visually it was super impressive. But it was very heavy handed with the characters. "Did anyone tell you that you walk like a PENGUIN?!?" Come on! They even use that line twice.

It also had some super stupid plot stuff. So Gordon is chasing Mario Pepper on the roof and pepper is shooting at him. Then they have the fight in the alley which leads to Peppers death. But suddenly everyone is like "Pepper is no murderer! He would never kill the waynes." Except he was SHOOTING AT GORDON ON THE ROOFTOP clearly trying to murder him!!!

I'll keep watching to see if it improves. But so far I'd give it a 3/10.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    based on the trailer and what I have seen so far of it, im not hoping for anything more than another cheesy arrow/smallville type show. horrible dialouge, cheesy writing and constant little winks to make it super nerdy and take away from what could be a cool serious show. I have a hard time getting into tv shows nowdays if its not AMC or HBO, the quality of their shows just blows regular network tv out of the water.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm, it doesn't show if Pepper was shooting to kill, or just shooting to make Gordon take cover so he could escape. Most likely to reveal the twist Pepper was innocent. But Gordon not killing Penguin was irritating. Since at that point he already knew what was going on and what that little rat had done.

I like how the villains are popping up, to be honest. Keep me interested.

Anyone know if this show will focuses mostly/entirely on Gordon ? I hope it would include lots and lots of heroes and villains alike. You know, focus on the city, not on the one protagonist thing. But Bruce and Ivy are too young to be doing anything with real impact.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    OK, first of, I have not seen the first episde, so take all this from a stubborn "harcore" nerd who things this is gonna ruin the cannon =P

I think the idea of this is so silly, this will screw up so many things if the ever get to the actual "batman" timeline, all the characters will already know each other by then and have had a millions changes to kill each other.

the writers are so locked down by doing this prequel crap, the cant really make anything dramatic or change anything because it must end the way it beggins when we get to Batman.

this was honestly the final straw for me with all this prequel shit.

sorry, now im donne raging, the show is probably great in itself, but I cant see how we can get anything interesting out of it.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    @PixelMasher

I agree with you, I've been a bit spoiled by HBO and similar networks, and I don't really enjoy regular shows very often. I will say though that i quite enjoy Arrow and don't think it deserves to be lumped in with Smallville. It's dumb fun, but at least it's fun.

@lotet

Well, give it a chance. I dunno, I'm really bothered by some of the changes too, and I think it's stupid to introduce all of these characters so soon. That said, I don't think they're trying to match up with any existing Batman continuity, I don't think there's anything that this could 'screw up'. When it comes to any DC property, it's already established that there are infinite alternate universes with slight or sometimes drastic changes to existing timelines and characters. Based on what we've seen so far, this is definitely a drastically different timeline than what we've seen in any Batman movie or show so far.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Shiniku wrote: »
    Well, give it a chance. I dunno, I'm really bothered by some of the changes too, and I think it's stupid to introduce all of these characters so soon. That said, I don't think they're trying to match up with any existing Batman continuity, I don't think there's anything that this could 'screw up'. When it comes to any DC property, it's already established that there are infinite alternate universes with slight or sometimes drastic changes to existing timelines and characters. Based on what we've seen so far, this is definitely a drastically different timeline than what we've seen in any Batman movie or show so far.

I am gonna give it a shot, dont wory =P

but I still find the whole thing...silly, and unrealisticly convenient that everybody knows each other and stuff is lining up so well so many years before bruce picks up the cape.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Someone I am very close to works on the show, and from I am told, a lot of those working on it are embarrassed at how bad it is. So even on the production side, there is little faith in this project. Ironically, those with financial stakes at Warner Bros are extremely excited about it. Its one of those cases where the financial side is completely out of touch with the production side, who in turn is out of touch with the consumers. Its a big mess.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    lotet wrote: »
    I am gonna give it a shot, dont wory =P

but I still find the whole thing...silly, and unrealisticly convenient that everybody knows each other and stuff is lining up so well so many years before bruce picks up the cape.

Why so serious?
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Hmm, it doesn't show if Pepper was shooting to kill, or just shooting to make Gordon take cover so he could escape.

He shot at a cop several times, slashed him with a knife, and then was about to stab him in the chest with it. Framed or not, his death shouldn't be a shocker or an excuse to keep quiet.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Dataday wrote: »
    Someone I am very close to works on the show, and from I am told, a lot of those working on it are embarrassed at how bad it is. So even on the production side, there is little faith in this project. Ironically, those with financial stakes at Warner Bros are extremely excited about it. Its one of those cases where the financial side is completely out of touch with the production side, who in turn is out of touch with the consumers. Its a big mess.

wow...that is just... I dunno, sad and hilarious at the same time xD
  • CrazyMan09
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Haha! They managed to get hold of the rights to such a massive IP, and chose to air it on Fox? Genius :D!

It'll never get a second season no matter how good it does.

They'll show episodes 3 through 9 out of order and cancel it around New Years. /frak you very much, Fox