Home General Discussion

Polycount banners linking directly to Featured artwork thread ?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Noors greentooth
Wouldn't it be cooler ?
It's a bit frustrating to see nice pics and stuggling to find back their thread.

Replies

• AtticusMars
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    They do, you have to click on the author's name. Sometimes it takes you to WAYWO because that's the only place they shared pics.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I think he's suggesting that clicking the picture should take you there... You know, like how everyone basically expects picture hyperlinks to work
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I think he's suggesting that clicking the picture should take you there... You know, like how everyone basically expects picture hyperlinks to work

Haha! It's interesting it's taken this long for someone to post about it working this way (or at the very least for me to notice someone asking about it!)

Clicking on the banner is a legacy function of the banner, dating back to before we had rotating art banners and it just said 'POLYCOUNT' in that space. (You'd click on it to reload the forum.) So when we updated to include artwork from the forum, we kept the functionality but introduced the 'Author' link so folks could still navigate to where the image was found.

We've talked about this internally and we can certain switch it if people are expecting it to behave in a way that loads the thread rather than the forum. Though switching it now will also have another thread popping up asking why it doesn't reload the site ;)
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Leave it how it is.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    adam wrote: »
    Haha! It's interesting it's taken this long for someone to post about it working this way (or at the very least for me to notice someone asking about it!)

Clicking on the banner is a legacy function of the banner, dating back to before we had rotating art banners and it just said 'POLYCOUNT' in that space. (You'd click on it to reload the forum.) So when we updated to include artwork from the forum, we kept the functionality but introduced the 'Author' link so folks could still navigate to where the image was found.

We've talked about this internally and we can certain switch it if people are expecting it to behave in a way that loads the thread rather than the forum. Though switching it now will also have another thread popping up asking why it doesn't reload the site ;)
    They can't click one of these other 3 links in the same area that do the same thing? (There's also one at the bottom of every page)

maybe.jpg
  • FullSynch
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I don't mind it how it is. It would make more sense for the banner to link you to the thread, but the current setup makes it easier to associate a great project with a particular name since you're required to look at the artist's name. If the banner just linked to the thread, there would be no reason to even list the artist's name which would then bring less attention to some skilled individuals.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Haha, i've always assumed the name was linking to the author profile and not the thread itself , hence i guess i've probably never cliked on it :D
    It's not very intuitive tho :)
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    NegevPro wrote: »
    If the banner just linked to the thread, there would be no reason to even list the artist's name which would then bring less attention to some skilled individuals.
    What...?

You say there's no reason to list the authors name then in the same sentence go on to provide a reason why the name should be listed.

The point of listing the authors name would be to credit them with the art without having to click through to the page...
  • WarrenM
    Noors wrote: »
    Haha, i've always assumed the name was linking to the author profile and not the thread itself , hence i guess i've probably never cliked on it :D

^^ This. Link the image to the thread plz, it's always confused me. :)
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup - Image should link to the source post, and the name could either link to that too, or to the contact page of the artist (and if provided, to his/her portfolio maybe ?)
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    What...?

You say there's no reason to list the authors name then in the same sentence go on to provide a reason why the name should be listed.

The point of listing the authors name would be to credit them with the art without having to click through to the page...
    No, I'm saying that if both the banner and author's name link to the same place, then it's redundant. To remove that redundancy, you would have to remove the author's name which is bad because then that person wouldn't receive credit for the work unless the viewer dug into the thread.

The current setup is already redundant because there are multiple links that take you to the main forum page as you pointed out in your screenshot, but it's not like you can't get to the thread with the current setup. If the setup is changed, then the banner should link to the first page of the thread and the name should link to the person's profile.
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Noors wrote: »

Same :)
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    They can't click one of these other 3 links in the same area that do the same thing? (There's also one at the bottom of every page)

maybe.jpg

They can but routine-clicking is something to be, at the very least, conscience of. Myself and the 'oldschool' polycounters will be use to its current function, but I do recognizing that this way of interfacing with the site isn't what the standard is across the internet.