Replies

• Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Oh gawd that would suck.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Dunno.. Depending on the pricing I think I'd be alright with it.

Not owning permanent licenses sucks but at least with the adobe cloud it's cheap. Autodesks pricing is another story entirely.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    The idea that Adobe will own the Foundry *might* make it cheaper, but also might be likely to feck it up and make CC versions of it… a shame that a software company with more VFX knowledge doesn’t take it.

Let’s hope Adobe aren’t buying it as a strip it down and destroy it exercise to make more people use After Effects!

Maybe this might make fusion get more popular in future…?
  • Carlosan
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Not too surprising. The Carlyle group said they were looking for a buyer for the Foundry awhile ago.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Well, at least it isn't Autodesk

=>Really needs to get on the ball and learn Blender.
  • soulty
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Please no :(.

We don't need less variety.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Photoshop hasn't changed much since CS2, that's why people are worried about Adobe managing Modo.
  • DireWolf
    Maybe this might make fusion get more popular in future…?
    Exactly my thought. Waiting for Black Magic to nail out multi-channel and linear workflow now.

MARI+Photoshop may become a powerful pair tho.
  • .nL
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    As someone who holds a CC subscription, I would love it if Adobe picked the Foundry's software up and added it to the CC roster.

Adobe getting into 3D is the only thing I can think of that might force Autodesk to improve its pricing model.

That said, I could also see this backfiring horribly.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    .nL wrote: »
    As someone who holds a CC subscription, I would love it if Adobe picked the Foundry's software up and added it to the CC roster.

As someone who uses Photoshop and Modo every day, I couldn't disagree more.

I absolutely hate the way Adobe's products have completely stagnated over the past decade, and there's nothing I can imagine that could be worse for the film and game industries than having Adobe and Autodesk vying for control of the market. Monopolies are a terrible thing for consumers and industry professionals, and the only way that the industry can stay healthy is by keeping competition alive and healthy.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Wait Adobe is buying The FOundry??

What else have I missed?

Oh man, in this case, adobe better get rid of after effects, it's a good software but becomes totally obsolete in front of NukeX...
  • unit187
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Blond wrote: »
    Oh man, in this case, adobe better get rid of after effects, it's a good software but becomes totally obsolete in front of NukeX...
    It won't be obsolete. AFX and Nuke are used for different needs.
    AFX usually is better for smaller projects, allows you to work faster with its layered structure. And it is go-to software package for motion design.
    Nuke is excellent when it comes to bigger, much complex projects, especially compositing for movies.
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Am I the only one who actually likes subscription models? I seem to be saving alot of money since I no longer have to spend 2-3k every other year. And on the other side piracy is going back as well. I'd be more concerned about the development progress after an aquisition.

But I'd much rather have adobe buy the foundry than autodesk for sure. And with the exposure Modo would get if it was included in the adobe subscription, it would find it's way into more studio pipelines and become a serious contender within no time.
  • oskarkeo
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    Nuke works by stitching together different layers of filming with green screen animation and CGI to create the shot.

I'mma gonna just quote this sentence any time i'm talking about nuke to anyone ever. Top Class reporting.

I agree adobe have earned their reputation for being innovation-averse, which is the exact opposite of the foundry, a merger would worry me.

Much better id have thought to get into bed with Side FX Software. the foundry portfolio would be really bolstered by a simulation and fx solution, and could then provide a legitimate alternative to autodesk.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    No. Just please god no. That is all.
  • WarrenM
    lefix wrote: »
    Am I the only one who actually likes subscription models? I seem to be saving alot of money since I no longer have to spend 2-3k every other year. And on the other side piracy is going back as well. I'd be more concerned about the development progress after an aquisition.

But I'd much rather have adobe buy the foundry than autodesk for sure. And with the exposure Modo would get if it was included in the adobe subscription, it would find it's way into more studio pipelines and become a serious contender within no time.

Yeah, this ^^

If they added MODO to the Creative Cloud subscription, that would increase MODO's install base many times over. Lots of game studios provide that to their artists already. If MODO was in there, you'd see more people trying it and starting to use it.

That will lead to more game specific features being added and ... I just don't get the hate for this.

Adobe doesn't have a modeling app at the moment. MODO would be a first class citizen in their product line. That would be nothing but good for MODO users.

Autodesk buying them would be a disaster. Adobe? I say bring it on.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth

I like it... for Photoshop.

But that's really only because Photoshop currently comes in a photography package that is only $10 a month. IIRC photoshop CS6 was $700 for a permanent license, meaning at the current subscription price you'd have to subscribe for nearly 6 years to get to spend the equivalent amount of money on it.

That's a pretty good deal to me.

Problem is AFAIK that's the only Adobe product you can get for that cheap. All the other individual licenses are $20 a month which isn't nearly as good.
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Well, at least it isn't Autodesk

Yeah those are my thoughts.

This is mainly about pricing for me now. If they keep Modo the same price or reduce it. I'll be happy. Autodesk would probably make you sell a kidney to get it.
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    I wonder what will happen to Cinema 4D Lite inside After Effects.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Yeah, this ^^

If they added MODO to the Creative Cloud subscription, that would increase MODO's install base many times over. Lots of game studios provide that to their artists already. If MODO was in there, you'd see more people trying it and starting to use it.

That will lead to more game specific features being added and ... I just don't get the hate for this.

Adobe doesn't have a modeling app at the moment. MODO would be a first class citizen in their product line. That would be nothing but good for MODO users.

Autodesk buying them would be a disaster. Adobe? I say bring it on.

Sounds great on the surface. The problem is that Adobe's products have barely changed in the past decade.

Aside from hardware acceleration (which actually doesn't work on a lot of computers and can lead to massive bugs), Photoshop CC's feature list is nearly identical to CS2. The features they've added on in that time, such as 3D support and better tools for cloning and blending, have mostly been half-baked and have not received meaningful updates in years.

This is largely true of their other products as well, and that does not bode well for any companies and products that Adobe buys. Adobe's business model is essentially "Let people keep paying for Photoshop because there's no better all-encompassing alternative." So why would I want them to have control over the modeling software that I use every day if they're most likely going to simply sit on it like they do Photoshop and the rest of their products?
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Adobe must have really worried when the Foundry acquired Mischief, a 2D vector based drawing tool with infinite resolution that had all the curve tools of Illustrator and all the Photoshop brushes, it was game over for the Adobe in the long run (especially as all the texture formats actually work) so I can totally see why the would pay £200 million, its a cheap price for one of the best software companies around.

http://cgpress.org/archives/the-foundry-acquires-developers-of-mischief-drawing-and-painting-application.html

This is how I see it, but its totally made up :)

1, Bill Collis wants to go and enjoy life and who can blame him, £200 million thank you very much! not bad for a company started in London in 2007.

2, Its damage limitation for Adobe.

3, £200 million is peanuts for Adobe so they could just asset strip the software just like Autodesk did with XSI.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLNPSSth1IE[/ame]
  • Farfarer
    Also remember the ADF tech behind Mischief works in 3D, too. So you can do that, but with sculpting.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

A subscription model with stagnated development all in the cloud? No thank you.

Maybe it's not true and won't happen.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Wait, im curious, are people really annoyed with development of adobe software now it is in the cloud.

My impressions are that the software has changed from being feature driven to being far more solid and stable software with more attention to detail on making the software as robust as possible.

Ever since Photoshop has gone CC they have fixed so many little things. A lot of improvements have happened with all the various cases for merging items for example.

Honestly I prefer how adobe has been developing things and focusing on stable platforms now than what it used to be.

Just out of curiosity... What more do you want photoshop to do?
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    a tiling canvas like in zbrush would be nice
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Muzz wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity... What more do you want photoshop to do?

last time I checked there was no real time symmetry out of the box.
  • oskarkeo
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    Adobe must have really worried when the Foundry acquired Mischief, a 2D vector based drawing tool with infinite resolution that had all the curve tools of Illustrator and all the Photoshop brushes, it was game over for the Adobe in the long run (especially as all the texture formats actually work) so I can totally see why the would pay £200 million, its a cheap price for one of the best software companies around.

http://cgpress.org/archives/the-foundry-acquires-developers-of-mischief-drawing-and-painting-application.html

This is how I see it, but its totally made up :)

1, Bill Collis wants to go and enjoy life and who can blame him, £200 million thank you very much! not bad for a company started in London in 2007.

not meaning to troll here, but 2007 was when Foundry merged with Nuke, they'd been going as a plugin vendor since 1996. But yeah, he's earneda a shot at smelling the roses.

regarding Mischief: here's where i'm hoping you prove me wrong, but mishchief is a far far cry from a photoshop killer. it's a very simple sketchpad built on interesting tech. a quick summary of the haves and have nots:

no curve tools
    no photoshop brushes
    no layer blending
    no adjustments or filters
    no canvas positioning
    no paintbrush stamps or stencils

now, i've fallen in love with mischief, especially the way it lets you just get on with sketching, wihtouth havign to keep tabs on your pixel resolution, or canvas edges,

it really is the nicest solution for digital sketching i've found.
    But a photoshop killer it is sadly not, though i live in hope.
  • WarrenM
    dzibarik wrote: »
    last time I checked there was no real time symmetry out of the box.

Oh my GOD, this. I can't believe it doesn't have that yet.
  • Anthony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    *sighs* Modo going CC would pretty much kill it's userbase, especially if Adobe forced you to spend about $50 a month, only to never develop it, while it would be better than Autodesk getting their hands on it, The Foundry's product line going into the cloud would still be bad. Subscription only price models were the main reason I turned my back on Adobe and Autodesk.

I just got Modo a few months ago, I'd hate to have to turn my back on it because it went subscription only. The only software I ever subscribed for was UE4, and that's only because i knew i could keep using it if I had to stop the payments for any reason, Adobe and Autodesk don't give that option, so i will never support them.

It would be better for Pixologic to buy the Foundry, they at least know how to develop their software, and actually listen to their customers. The free upgrades would also be a bonus. :P
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Dude that is so not a fair comparison and you know it :/
  • WarrenM
    Modo going CC would pretty much kill it's userbase, especially if Adobe forced you to spend about $50 a month, only to never develop it, while it would be better than Autodesk getting their hands on it, The Foundry's product line going into the cloud would still be bad. Subscription only price models were the main reason I turned my back on Adobe and Autodesk.
    It depends entirely on the pricing model. $50 a month is ridiculous, but Photoshop and Lightroom having a $10 a month option hasn't hurt those apps much.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    It depends entirely on the pricing model. $50 a month is ridiculous, but Photoshop and Lightroom having a $10 a month option hasn't hurt those apps much.

Tbh, I would treat it like CS6. Keep it around but give the big ol middle finger to the CC, then just migrate to something like Blender when the last perpetual version gets stale.

Some people, like myself, are just ideologically opposed to the subscription model and its pretty obvious Modo under something like Adobe wouldnt have a cheap sub.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Here's Jed's Photoshop wishlist:

- Wraparound mode for tilable textures like Krita has
    - Replicate strokes across multiple images like Substance Painter and 3D Coat
    - Paint across UV seams in 2D
    - Support for multiple layer masks without having to put the layer in two or three groups
    - More convenient UI for sharing data between PSDs and options for automatically packing linked smart object dependencies
    - Native RNM normal map combining as a blending mode
    - Get rid of restrictions on 32-bit floating point images
    - Image warping filter that allows you to "look around" equirectangular skyboxes
    - Animation tools could probably be way less fiddly
    - Allow more in-depth hotkey customization, for the love of God
    - Custom mipmap filtering support (sharpen/blur/cubemap convolution, etc)
    - Perhaps the brush engine could use a refresh. Clip Studio's feels way better to me and Krita's has more flexibility
    - Reduce dependence on case-sensitive file systems and release it on Linux
    - Get rid of step back/step forward and have a normal undo like a normal program, and make it so that undo doesn't switch between layers when it shouldn't

That's just what I thought up in five minutes, and I'm sure there's something I forgot. Point is, there are definitely lots of improvements that could be made to Photoshop for texture art.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    - Get rid of step back/step forward and have a normal undo like a normal program, and make it so that undo doesn't switch between layers when it shouldn't

Oh man, you should see the pages and pages of discussion (and misunderstandings !) on the Adobe forums about that one. Fortunately enough there is a little script available to fix it - I think it was mentioned here :

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1251964
  • WarrenM
    Dataday wrote: »
    Tbh, I would treat it like CS6. Keep it around but give the big ol middle finger to the CC, then just migrate to something like Blender when the last perpetual version gets stale.
    Blender. Right.
    Some people, like myself, are just ideologically opposed to the subscription model and its pretty obvious Modo under something like Adobe wouldnt have a cheap sub.
    I don't have that hang up. If it's reasonable, I'm in.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Blender. Right.

Well the only reason I say that is whats the alternative at this point? Slim pickings on the DCC package front. You guys did donate about $10,000 to help them improve the fbx import/export. So if this becomes a bit more normal, it does generate a sort of appeal/confidence.

It will still take a lot to keep me from using Modo though, and if hypothetically 901 is the "last" perpetual version, like CS6 it will still be viable for quite some time.

I don't have that hang up. If it's reasonable, I'm in.

Everyone's different, reasonable is subjective to varying degrees. I don't see much incentive given to develop when everything is sub based. With paid upgrades, at least the developer has incentive to do more to get you as a consumer to pay for it.
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Alright let's do some math here. From the TF website, the pricing for Modo 901 will be
    New seats: $1,799

Individual upgrades: $495

Floating upgrades: $695
    So if you own an individual license and bought the the yearly upgrades, that would 495$ every year = 41,25$/Month

But since one has to buy the actual license first, that would be 1.799$ = 149,92$/Month for the first year of your subscription.

Based on that I would say that as long as the subscription was around 50$/Month, it would be a pretty good deal.

Now Adobe currently charges 49$/month for the entire CC bundle, or 19$/Month for a single application. Assuming that they don't increase the prizing model because of Modo/Nuke (which would upset alot of customers), having Modo as part of the CC would be an amazing deal, almost too good to be true.

Also, the Modo userbase would probably tenfold instantly because of all the existing CC subscribers, and become a serious contender to Max/Maya overnight.
  • EarthQuake
    Assuming Modo's dev team stays on and they don't do what Autodesk did to mudbox (buy it out and essentially stop developing it), I would jump for joy if Modo was included in the $50/m CC, or the $20/m per app cloud subscription.
  • Anthony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    If Modo 901 is the last 'perpetual' release, then i'll get it, and just stick with that.

I would be perfectly happy subbing to Creative Cloud, if Adobe had a licensing model similar to what Epic used to have for Unreal 4; You got to keep using the software if you stop payments, you just loose access to automatic upgrades.

Or better yet, something like what Algorithmic have done; a "rent to own" model, where, after a set number of payments, you own the software permanently, as if you'd paid full price upfront.

Here's just hoping that Adobe DOES NOT buy the Foundry
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Hasn't the foundry been up for sale for a while now?
  • .nL
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Alright let's do some math here. From the TF website, the pricing for Modo 901 will be

So if you own an individual license and bought the the yearly upgrades, that would 495$ every year = 41,25$/Month

But since one has to buy the actual license first, that would be 1.799$ = 149,92$/Month for the first year of your subscription.

Based on that I would say that as long as the subscription was around 50$/Month, it would be a pretty good deal.

Now Adobe currently charges 49$/month for the entire CC bundle, or 19$/Month for a single application. Assuming that they don't increase the prizing model because of Modo/Nuke (which would upset alot of customers), having Modo as part of the CC would be an amazing deal, almost too good to be true.

Also, the Modo userbase would probably tenfold instantly because of all the existing CC subscribers, and become a serious contender to Max/Maya overnight.

You've communicated my sentiment much more articulately than I ever could have. If it weren't for the CC subscription, I would be unable to afford the software it offers, and in spite of what some might claim, for my purposes there is no cheap package out there that works near the level of Photoshop, or Illustrator.

I don't know how quickly Modo's market share is growing, but I don't think it can be said to truly compete with Autodesk's offerings, since it has such a small user base.

Modo in CC could theoretically cause a user-base explosion, and drastically reduce the risk required for studios to switch packages.

I do agree w/Anthony though. I'd really like to see rent-to-own, or a UE4 style model adopted by Adobe.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message

While I agree that such math makes subscription models look good, I think I am with Anthony here. The idea of being locked into a subscription model without a rent-to-own option is pretty dangerous from a budgeting standpoint, even if the fees are quite cheap individually.

Now I suppose that it doesn't look too bad to people willing to pay monthly fees for things like Netflix, Spotify or cable TV ; but for those who like to eliminate every unnecessary expense (like freelancers with fluctuating income), having to pay monthly fees for software which tend to become less stable with each release can be a tough pill to swallow, even if just for the principle of it. After witnessing Photoshop becoming less responsive between CS5, CS6 and the original CC, I certainly don't feel confortable with Adobe getting their hands on a product like Modo.

That being said, Modo being placed in the hands of more people could indeed be a great thing, especially since the program is rather easy to pick up. However, who knows what would happen to the dev team. Tough call.
  • WarrenM
    I don't understand the idea that Adobe will take over development of the MODO code. Why would they do that? They're buying the development team that made it ...
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Yeah, but these things are hard to foresee aren't they ? Mudbox was such a weird example of that, with the app getting a big overhaul at the time of the Autodesk switch for the 2009 release ... only leading to a very slow development pace down the line. Now maybe the yearly release cycle that Autodesk is still forcing on all its dev teams is to blame for that, since such short dev cycles tend to mean lesser QA and a weaker long term vision for feature development. Maybe the CC model with its minute upgrades would be a good way to avoid that specific issue.

Still - more cooks in the kitchen and more upper management to deal with usually means slower development, therefore I can understand the more pessimistic opinions about a possible Adobe takeover. Going from niche to mainstream is not always the greatest thing ...
  • Count Vertsalot
    There's no truth to this guys. One of The Foundry execs said it's pure crap.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    There's no truth to this guys. One of The Foundry execs said it's pure crap.

Sorry if this is true! :poly127: You could be right, Mrs Ashley Armstrong, M&A Reporter for the Telegraph could be just trolling the CG community. There are no sources in that report and if you read some of what she says it does make you question her research?
    "Adobe is understood to be preparing a bid for British visual-effects software developer The Foundry. "
    -According to who?

"The company has recently launched a concept design software product called Modo, which means that prototype cars, phones and trainers can be drawn immediately into 3D rather than drawn first by hand in 2D and then physically built."
    -Don't forget the "trainers" and yeah, no one needs to draw anything in 2D anymore when you use Modo :poly136:
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, now that you mention it the reporting does seem a little questionable.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Anthony wrote: »
    *sighs* Modo going CC would pretty much kill it's userbase, especially if Adobe forced you to spend about $50 a month, only to never develop it, while it would be better than Autodesk getting their hands on it, The Foundry's product line going into the cloud would still be bad. Subscription only price models were the main reason I turned my back on Adobe and Autodesk.

I just got Modo a few months ago, I'd hate to have to turn my back on it because it went subscription only. The only software I ever subscribed for was UE4, and that's only because i knew i could keep using it if I had to stop the payments for any reason, Adobe and Autodesk don't give that option, so i will never support them.

It would be better for Pixologic to buy the Foundry, they at least know how to develop their software, and actually listen to their customers. The free upgrades would also be a bonus. :P

This, especially for Adobe CC. I'd prefer to buy the old cs6 and OWN the software instead of always renting it...