Home Technical Talk

How does Keyshot compare to Marmoset?

Because I am unable to properly get an advanced rig I've created in Maya into Marmoset 1.10 for showcasing the animation of my creature, I am looking at alternative real-time engines for showcasing my work.

Does Keyshot qualify as a real-time render engine ideal for game artist in the same way as Marmoset?

Any opinions and personal experience shared would be great.

Thanks

Replies

• metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    No, Keyshot isn't a real time renderer. Its offline.
    Marmoset TB2 is one of the best quality engines you get for realtime currently (not least because it doesnt compress textures) but I dont think it supports animation yet.

Having said that you could use CE3 or UE4 too, which do support animation.
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Unity with skyshop too
  • timotronprime
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    If your rig doesn't need to display any dynamic interactions, you can bind your character to a simplified skeleton and constrain the simplified joints to your advanced rig's corresponding joints. Bake out the animation of the simplified skeleton and use that for Marmoset so it's all primary animations.
    That's the most straight-forward solution for artists just trying to get their rig working.

I haven't looked into Toolbag's rigging capacity yet so other real-time solutions may be worth looking into if you're looking for something beyond that.