Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Crystal Maiden - TBD

After doodling a bit and seeing my 2D design abilities be incredibly awful (as usual, both on the technical and creative side), I decided to team up with a guy I know (so forth to be referred to as "PLurk"), that is good at traditional art, although he does no 3D at all.

We have been talking about his ideas and such, so far we got a few concepts.
It's been mostly talk and PLurk sketching designs, with talks such as "how much can a shoulder-pad stretch properly" and similar issues.

frontconcept1.jpg
frontconcept2.jpg
frontconcept3.jpg

Replies

• shanks37
    looks awesome. i really like the last three since the high collar reall works with her.
  • BNeutral
    Thanks Shank~

Some more design work by PLurk.

frontbackconcept1.jpg

Also pondering what kind of staff to give to the set.

staffconcept1.jpg
  • bluerebel
    This is, by far, my favourite Rylai Crestfall entry. I hope you get past the concept stage soon because I am anxious to see the model. I'm a sucker for costume sets that stay loyal to the original theme, especially if it involves short hair and turtlenecks.

For the latest design though, it feels as if the hood/collar is an independent entity with nothing real to link it to the overall costume other than the gem she's wearing. It just feels weird unless it's part of the cape. I can't say much though because I can't see the back. I would feel much better if the cape was emphasized in the front too.
  • bluerebel
    I also prefer the hairstyle numbered 6-8 from your concept sketches over the one you're using currently. <3
  • diegoleeon
    i like the 7th one. the one with light blue hoodie
  • BNeutral
    Gems & capes! Modelling should begin shortly after this gets sorted out.
    Thanks for the feedback! Despite how much we may or may not have listened to it.

frontbackconcept4.jpg
  • bluerebel
    Love the progress you have so far. I would vote for numbers 1, 3 and 4 for the cape. The rings on #2 seem like over kill. Not something you would want to have more than one of unless it possessed some kind of magical property. The 3rd cape has potential but seems too simple in it's current form. Then again, trailers are overused in this contest already. We have someone working on the same thing for Drow Ranger, and the market already has one for Bounty Hunter.

I would pick cape number 4 from what you have drafted out but only on the condition that you remove the fur ends. If done, it would have the simplicity of the first and third, but still remain more appealing than the other capes.

I think you already have the gems covered.

The hair really seems off still. The curves and the play are out of place compared to the rest of whatever Rylai is wearing. I would prefer ones from 6 through 8 of your initial draft, yet I like the addition of gems on her hair. I do understand that it would make more sense if we didn't change the form of her hair. Nonetheless, I am anxious to see what you're posting soon.

You have my support!
  • BNeutral
    Thanks for feedback blue. Here is the finished design draft:
    finalizeddraft1.jpg
    Next up: Modeling.
  • P05TMAN
    I know it may be a bit late but I would've chipped in my vote for the high-collar. It seems like I see a lot of heroes get the "hood" treatment and it would be refreshing for someone to get a collar. Male mages such as Invoker and Rubick have them so why not a female?
    Either way, seems like you've moved onto the modelling phase and that's good. Will keep an eye on this for updates. CM def needs some workshop love and its good to see another entry for her in this contest. Best of luck!
  • BNeutral
    Yep, we modelling now. High collars maybe some other time. Trying to have items be interchangeable with the default ones without causing any trouble or clipping. It's harder than one would expect.

Some extra notes:
    extranotes.png
    Progressing on the lowest poly lod. Still trying to get the pauldron position just right without it clipping with the default hood.
    63776490.png
  • Futashia
  • BNeutral
    Some more progress although very little on the modelling. Not making the shoulder pauldron clip and look good got impossible so I just gave up.
    Also a weapon design by PLurk! Opinions on it?
    somemoreprogress.png
    Also I'm pondering what to do with the issue of lods and UV maps. I could be lazy and just add some subdiv detail, or actually make the higher lod properly and fight with remapping manually.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Don't get discouraged the concepts are nice, I agree the counts are low but given the distance from the camera view it's more about form then anything else.

I like your idea keep going, I also think if it is clipping and giving you issues try making it bigger maybe?.
  • BNeutral
    I just gave up on the clipping, if it has to clip, it has to clip. Making the thing bigger just looked odd. Also decided to change the part over the cape to be part of the collar instead of the shoulder model because of how the cape model works.

Some more progress, although deviating a bit from what the hair is supposed to look like:
    99058930.png
  • shanks37
    i wouldnt worry about clipping. the default models clip all the time. valve are the last people in the world that get to throw stones.

hair's fine too btw. anything is better than her god awful sara jessica parker style default.
  • BNeutral
    And another. I think I'm done with the lowest lod stuff.
    37719633.png
  • BNeutral
    Now with uv maps and skinned:
    uvsandrig.png
    uvsandrig.png
  • BNeutral
    Sculpted and baked and such.
    Cape, hair and shoulder part turned out decently.
    Arms are going to need a proper sculpt instead of the bunch of blobs I managed.
    Also I should work fast, there's like 5 days left only.

gonnahavetofixthearmfur.png
  • BNeutral
    It's been some complicated weeks so I haven't been able to do much with this. I redid all of the fur in the highpoly for since it was really awful. Took two tries to get the style somewhat similar.
    Only thing remaining to do is texturing, for which since I don't have enough time given my abilities, called a friend that goes by Shwig who is incredible.
    Hopefully we can get this finished tomorrow just in time for the deadline, but I'm not really sure if we can make it.
    Only the arms texture has a mostly finished texture so far.
    progresslo.png
  • BNeutral
    And so with almost no time to spare and a bunch of problems, this thing is finished just in time with sub par results, and a cape dying to technical issues (bad UV unwrapping and bad rigging combined)!
    Submitted the 3rd piece just as it was 12. Posting this here now for a recap.
    It is hastily named Ice Diva set as per a previous conversation and lack of time to think of anything better.
    theendcopy.jpg