Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    @penOr

Haha that's such an awesome ward concept I would love to see it from the in game views to get a sense of size but great start
  • Zalakzik
    Guys i just finished my DS themed cour, i would appreciate your likes ;D
    WMsFqa5.jpg
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been on holiday from work and I've been using the time to start and hopefully finish a set for sniper.

I actually took the time to block out my idea in maya rather than hopping straight into zbrush, so for once I'm not trying to cram my design into the polycount.

eJmON3s.jpg

I didn't have a concept for the design so I've been working it out as I go along, the idea is a costume inspired by punk and motorbike clothing. There's also some WW2 influences in the sten gun and the helmet.

6kqeF0F.jpg

97VGg32.jpg

The in game shots are pretty low res because I'm working on my cintiq and it doesn't run dota super well

F7YjjQv.jpg

If anyone has any thoughts or feedback it would be really appreciated, thanks a bunch
  • agito666
    I've been on holiday from work and I've been using the time to start and hopefully finish a set for sniper.

I actually took the time to block out my idea in maya rather than hopping straight into zbrush, so for once I'm not trying to cram my design into the polycount.

eJmON3s.jpg

I didn't have a concept for the design so I've been working it out as I go along, the idea is a costume inspired by punk and motorbike clothing. There's also some WW2 influences in the sten gun and the helmet.

6kqeF0F.jpg

97VGg32.jpg

The in game shots are pretty low res because I'm working on my cintiq and it doesn't run dota super well

F7YjjQv.jpg

If anyone has any thoughts or feedback it would be really appreciated, thanks a bunch

will the gun barrel too much hole? will it become noise when look from top down?
    instead of 5 rows of dots... how about reduce to 3? that is my suggestion...
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    @agito666

That's a very good point, I'm also thinking of scaling up the spike on the end of the barrel so it doesn't get lost from further away
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    @penOr

Haha that's such an awesome ward concept I would love to see it from the in game views to get a sense of size but great start

Thanks toby, I'm just doing the rigging/animating, the concept/model is by andyk, it's really unique! I'll post some in-game gifs once the lowpoly is ready!

Here's part of the idle animation, with some bandana animations!

FoolhardyFreeDiplodocus.gif

----

Your sniper set looks really cool, haven't really seen that type of theme for sniper in the workshop yet!
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    @penOr

You've really nailed the animation of the cloth, I like how the bandana has bouncier animation for being smaller and lighter material. Are you planning on creating any rare anims?
  • agito666
    hello there! me and Zuma, i mean LuXor just done a juggernut mask...

C6027827626AB57BE30AC61DA8886055D9FEA116
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=312324426

hmm what do you think?
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    @agito666

It reminds me of ultron, never a bad thing. I like the little asymmetrical detail on the foreheard
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    @penOr

You've really nailed the animation of the cloth, I like how the bandana has bouncier animation for being smaller and lighter material. Are you planning on creating any rare anims?

Thanks! Yeah I am, still working on them as we speak! I'll add same type of bandana animation to everything at the end once the base movements are polished. I've since updated a couple of these but the same ideas will be used

death - http://www.gfycat.com/UnsteadyUnfinishedGar or http://www.gfycat.com/SpotlessHeartyApatosaur
    idle_rare - http://www.gfycat.com/MintyAgitatedAmericansaddlebred (i'm going to change how the shuriken and eye interact, don't like it currently, but still like the idea)
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    @penOr
    The destrution animation is looking really natural. At one point I thought the eye was going to throw himself onto the shuriken in the death anim seppuku style.

I agree in the idle the eye hopping on top of the shuriken breaks the flow of it a bit where before the animation is quite bouncy and well paced.
  • Zalakzik
    Also me and Cottonwings just finished Luna set, LIKE IT IMMEDIATELY
    KlMWq844VB0.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_nbp4a5rDsw1r43xj0o1_1280.png

A Drow concept I was working on last semester and completely forgot about
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Apart from the head item, nothing else seems to stand out from all what has been made for her till now.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    tumblr_nbp4a5rDsw1r43xj0o1_1280.png

A Drow concept I was working on last semester and completely forgot about

Pants are a little too poofy for me personally, but really like the rest of it, especially the head makes her seem rugged and bad ass, she has seen some shit...
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    @Hawf,

She seems like a super pirate or a smuggler. Any idea for a weapon concept to go with?

Dope work my man.
  • bladeshot
    Offline / Send Message
    bladeshot polycounter lvl 5
    Legacy of the Crimson Lotus set is finished. Concept-art by Agito666. Loading screen by amazing Madzia.

2E4FB57808A64F4C4507B6D50D4AFF356E31A95D
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Really great work going on here! What are you guys' opinion on homages/look alikes for cosmetics on heroes? I for one would like to do a homage-based set for Meepo from another game. Of course, it will not look the same as the other game's character.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    That loading screen for lina is so badass. love it!!!
  • PoPcorn
    vertical wrote: »
    Really great work going on here! What are you guys' opinion on homages/look alikes for cosmetics on heroes? I for one would like to do a homage-based set for Meepo from another game. Of course, it will not look the same as the other game's character.

Taking inspiration is fine. I'm not sure about anything too obvious and on the nose.
  • agito666
    bladeshot wrote: »

madzia's loading screen art is too awesome till i now basically is behaving like this.(already downloaded the loading screen art and set it as wallpaper in fHD)
    http://i.imgur.com/mGXiPAs.jpg

after few thought of the sven head and the horn design in toilet... i decided to put BKB's horn on sven....
    what do you think?
    (i personally think is nice but i'm sure this might be looks not nice with other people, so i better put here and see what feedback i can get :3 )
    tOobMen.jpg
  • Automedic
    Cross-posting from my thread: I've submitted a new version of my little pet project, the Celestial Spark for wisp. Take a look and drop a vote if you like ;)

268x268.resizedimage

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHZ3kwg8Hvg"]Celestial Spark[/ame]
  • agito666
    Automedic wrote: »
    Cross-posting from my thread: I've submitted a new version of my little pet project, the Celestial Spark for wisp. Take a look and drop a vote if you like ;)

268x268.resizedimage

Celestial Spark

that is very nice wisp. :P
  • Toyoka
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    Hello everyone! I've submitted a weapon for Spectre to the workshop recently. The premise behind this weapon is that it's part of a promotional bundle of weapons/items (which will likely be released in conjunction with, or in preparation) for a custom game mode that I'm also working on called the "Soul Harvest". The game mode is actually a 4-player campaign spanning almost a dozen maps (including maps for several boss fights) and is loosely based on the lore of several Dota 2 heroes as well as some characters that have not been mentioned in the lore (ie. non-cannon characters). I'll post some concept art and progress concerning the game mode on the forums, if anyone is interested!

Anyways, on to my submission. So here it is (feedback is greatly appreciated!):

ilBm0kH.png
  • Supp1k_AAA
    Offline / Send Message
    Supp1k_AAA polycounter lvl 9
    We hope you like it ^^
    268x268.resizedimage
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Automedic wrote: »

268x268.resizedimage

Celestial Spark

mny.gif
    bladeshot wrote: »
    Legacy of the Crimson Lotus set is finished. Concept-art by Agito666. Loading screen by amazing Madzia.

Set came out great, and that loading screen is absolutely amazing.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Armaments of the Dragon Emperor Set has been re-added to the store. The new bundle does not ship with the "Emerging Dragon Missile" in it. The missile is no longer customizable. The older missiles that people already have are made non marketable
    Edit: Missiles are now one piece! YAY
  • agito666
    Supp1k_AAA wrote: »
    We hope you like it ^^
    268x268.resizedimage

at first i thought she was goku because i view via my phone without glasses...then i take back my word after i put back my glasses on.

i dont know , i feel crown and hair colour are blended together, i mean icon photo.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a bunch of changes all over the place for round 3. I personally like this version much more, and hope the community will agree!

Links to workshop:
    2U8RniT.png
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    kite212 wrote: »
    I had a bunch of changes all over the place for round 3. I personally like this version much more, and hope the community will agree!

Links to workshop:
    2U8RniT.png

Seems that a lot of people on the workshop want to see a custom force staff animation and the such... :P
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems that a lot of people on the workshop want to see a custom force staff animation and the such... :P

Yeah its all giff giff giff, too bad I dont animate >_< I did post on the colab thread looking for an animator and particle artisit, so maybe they will get what they want
  • Toyoka
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    kite212 wrote: »

Links to workshop:
    2U8RniT.png

Loving the pullback and aftershock of the bow when she shoots! Is that a custom animation or does her default animation support that?
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka wrote: »
    Loving the pullback and aftershock of the bow when she shoots! Is that a custom animation or does her default animation support that?

That is just all default animation, it is just a matter of how it is skinned to the stock rig. You can make custom animations, and so far people really want a powershot animation, but sadly I am not a good animator and lack the patience to do custom animations :poly136:
  • Toyoka
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    Fair enough. I knew about the skinning, but I didn't realize how much it affected the bow. Interesting to note :)

On another note, I seem to be getting some mixed ratings on my glaive, anyone care to elaborate on what I can improve (or why they don't like it) and/or give some feedback on it? It'd be much appreciated!
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough. I knew about the skinning, but I didn't realize how much it affected the bow. Interesting to note :)

On another note, I seem to be getting some mixed ratings on my glaive, anyone care to elaborate on what I can improve (or why they don't like it) and/or give some feedback on it? It'd be much appreciated!

As far as the item goes, I think the shape is interesting, but the it seems the color map, and the masks could use some tweaking. The details get a little lost from looking at the screenshots. Also what resolution are you uploading the textures at? I find that letting dota compress the textures it smooths too much, so I resize all my textures myself so I can control the sharpness. Hope this helps!

Edit: I also dont think the promo image in the description is helping much, more distracting from the item itself.
  • Toyoka
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll try and tweak the color map some more (it was actually sort of more vibrant and colored differently, but it didn't match Spectre's color scheme so much, so I had to change it). I resize all of my maps manually in photoshop. I try to keep it at 300 dpi, with bicubic sharper reduction. Perhaps the screenshots aren't representing that texture quality very well.

As for the description image, I figured it was sort of distracting as well. I''ll remove it :)

Again, thank you!
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    I resize all of my maps manually in photoshop. I try to keep it at 300 dpi, with bicubic sharper reduction.

for textures dpi should not matter, dpi translates to print, for textures only care about pixel resolution. For example when working on my textures if the requirements is 256x256, I work in 1024x1024 72dpi, then when it comes to upload I will downsize to 512x512 with bicubic sharpen, then apply a subtle smart sharpen filter, then downsize to 256x256 with bicubic sharper. It may seem overkill and not be the best approach, but I have personally found this to be the best way to keep a lot of detail from my textures :poly142:
  • Toyoka
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    Damn, and I thought my 300 dpi thing was overkill! That's a good trick! I usually just scale my 1024 to 256 with no sharpening in between (except for the bicubic sharper reduction setting). This could come in handy, thanks :D
  • Toyoka
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    (Sorry for the double post!)

I managed to update the masks and decided to revert/modify the color map back to what it as before (with some saturation tweaks and such). I think this is much better! It has some metalness (which looks awesome! can't believe I missed this before) to it but retains its color and the glow/self-illum is much more prominent. Updated my previous post with a modified promo image/link to submission, and replaced the crappy screenshots on the sub page with some better-suited ones.

I've also recently been working on a dagger for Riki. Started texturing the sculpt, but not sure where to head with this.:

2d88e13474.jpg

c8d08482bb.jpg
    03fa117a95.jpg

Also, because of my love for cloth (:D) I sacrificed some polygons to get some actual cloth to wrap around the dagger. Bad idea? Perhaps I should use planes instead? (low-poly below)

94d7c836d1.jpg
    b3fc8c1d2a.jpg
  • BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    plain.png
    Looks very plain , any idea to improve it ? Clock weapon btw
  • kremrhi
    Cross post from my thread
    I'm working on a set for nyx,
    Naix.jpg
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @Toyoka:

I'd go with a baked normal and skip any geometry, I think the small size of the dagger ingame and how the strap is positioned don't justify those extra polygons.

In other news, I've bought a new computer and decided to give the workshop another try.

It's a courier I'll be doing with pen0r, and it'll be part of a bigger set of items.

For now the dragon is done, I just need to finish the tail tip and a bag of sorts, then retopo time.

Crits and suggestions are welcome:

15239369411_e76ca3a96d_o.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    256px-Cosmetic_icon_Azuremir.png?version=f026e27860b2f4d219554596824e6d35256px-Cosmetic_icon_Prismatic_Drake.png?version=c9b8b74850fb2363f046817ffedd0876
    256px-Cosmetic_icon_Yonex%27s_Rage.png?version=fea18627261f904ee4966550ca3ace8c256px-Cosmetic_icon_Osky_the_Ottragon.png?version=74a862b4389e0333b2dee3e94b010d06
    256px-Cosmetic_icon_Little_Green_Jade_Dragon.png?version=7cb13033959b587266e2d07856f92ac5

Dota has lots of dragons.
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Still not a golden one!
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    @kremrhi

I love that Nyx design, great contrasting colours and the patterns look rad.
  • Toyoka
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    Rubus wrote: »
    @Toyoka:

I'd go with a baked normal and skip any geometry, I think the small size of the dagger ingame and how the strap is positioned don't justify those extra polygons.

Thanks for the insight, I thought as much. I'll opt for more geo on the dagger itself and remove the cloth.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    We just submitted a sexy QoP hair to go with our even sexier wings, go check it out!

268x268.resizedimage 268x268.resizedimage
  • ChiZ
    Those brow-horns are so good! It really flows well from her face shapes, and even though I don't usually like bangs of that kind (personal preference), they really, really fit well with how they frame the horns. :)
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    @Toyoka
    A good rule of thumb is to make sure any extra geometry is improving the silhouette of object. Especially when it's not going to be really close to the camera
  • Toyoka
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks Toby, good advice :) Sometimes I get lost in detail more than I'd like to admit, so I think I have to start focusing on bringing more interesting silhouettes.

@Belkun, those brows on her remind me of my ex :P