Home General Discussion

This has probably already been answered but...

AluminumHaste
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
AluminumHaste polycounter lvl 18
Where the fuck are the models?? The models page has said "back up in a few days" for like 4 months now, maybe longer.
What is going on??

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • AluminumHaste
    Offline / Send Message
    r13??
    Sorry, haven't been around for like...4 months.
  • skankerzero
    ???

Well, everyone knows r13 is the new guy they hired to take care of Polycount like, 3 months ago.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    r13 is sorta like a tech support bot. He is slowing inexorably rebuilding the model database. It will be up tomorrow.
  • Motz
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    not to sound like an ass...but why does'nt r13 just put an updated message on the front page? I've seen like 20 posts about the models already. He can't be that busy. And if he is, i'll do it for him?
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    It amazes me that these new people keep showing up and are all like WTF? I want this and I deserve this, and all you veterans in the industry know nothing compared to my 1 week experience, etc, etc. Aluminum, maybe you don't mean to come off like this, but honestly I have seen alot of this lately, maybe asking nicely might have it happen a little faster than not? And Motz, you might want to see if Mop or the others might need help, as I am sure it has to be something for them not to have it done by now. Just getting short on my patience, and I just came back from seeing Apocoliptico (sp?) and I have a blood thirst:)

Spark
    www.bbriley.com
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    just a forum sticky would probably be enough with the link to fileplanet search page for 'q3 models'
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    just who the fuck is this r13 guy anyway?
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    i remember when Polycount hosted custom player models. i also remember when people created custom player models for the site to host. then the evil r13.exe appeared.
  • Dukester
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    WHERE'S THE BEEF?
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    He has a point - its a main feature of the site, or it use to be. "Polycount".. y' know, models. If he's busy get a regular who's not to take care of it and work with him while they do it.

Simple fix, really.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else bored with these "WHERE ARE THE MODELS?" threads? I know this kitten is!
    Kitten-Pictures-70.jpg

-caseyjones
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i heard r13 had 5 arms, and 6 eyes.

most believe him to be legend, few have witnessed the majesty and lived to tell about it.
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I WANT MODELS, WAAAAAHH!
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    get thee to moddb.com!

srsly Polycount isn't about running around in Q2 as Homer Simpson anymore.
  • Dukester
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Gather round children for the Legend of El Chupa R13

He creeps and crawls in the midnight hush,
    Silent as a low flow toilet flush, ...
  • AluminumHaste
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL didn't mean to sound like a prick, but I used to come here all the time for models and stuff, and then something happened. I know shit happens, but shit also gets fixed or sites go down. That was when I was still in school and I haven't been in school since May. So I've been patiently waiting for something to happen and I expected these things to happen: The forums would be restored first, then the models, then everything else.
    Definetly not models last. frown.gif

I recently(several months ago, and again a month ago, and again a few days ago) had to re-install Quake3/Doom3/Quake4 and don't have any models saved and fileplanet really sucks. This was THE site for models for all these games.

I am not entitled to shit though, this is the internet and I am getting all these things for free, but wtf is taking so long?? You say fuck me, well I say fuck this lol. I'm surprised anybody still comes to this site at all. There are no updates on the site about what's going on with the rebuild or whatever is going on. I've never been able to find out what's going on until now.

Thank you guys for pointing out to me the happenings going on here, now I know, so I'll keep checking back I guess.
  • AluminumHaste
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    It amazes me that these new people keep showing up and are all like WTF? www.bbriley.com

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW I registered only 2 months after you soooooo yeah, if I'm "new" then so are you. smirk.gif
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I love smug people.
    Mmmmm, delicious. Almost as much as the taste of their SHAME after they get brutally stomped by reality.
    (Waiting for it to happen)
  • Mark Dygert
    Polycount has changed, as Justin pointed out and you overlooked. Polycount isn't about running around in Q2 as Homer Simpson any more. I'll say it again since you seem to be hard of reading....

Polycount isn't about running around in Q2 as Homer Simpson any more.

Of course if you where as dedicated a member as you claim to be, none of this would be news to you.
  • Mark Dygert
    [ QUOTE ]
    just a forum sticky would probably be enough with the link to fileplanet search page for 'q3 models'

[/ QUOTE ]

HINT: GO SEARCH FILEPLANT DOT COM.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok, without sounding like an caca drinker, the thing is people are busy and cant always keep on track of the things you like , just that , polycount is more of an art forum now ( thankfully ).
  • Jarrod1937
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    i agree with johny, that fact that you can get great advice and good critiques to improve your modeling/texturing/whatever is reason enough to go to polycount.
    if models were once offered here (it was before my time) then it was a luxury, a luxury that was possible because people here allowed it. and if they take a way that luxury do they owe you anything? no, which you agreed on, but if not then why are you complaining?
    point being, stop complaing, and search for the models elsewhere... or perhaps you could stick around and learn how to model yourself?

edit: edited my post to be less annoying tongue.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
  • Jarrod1937
  • Jarrod1937
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, so

number of non-game-series-discriminate site where some hobbyist could learn how to make game (player, vehicle) models for games as a portfolio to be a professional as well as share, and skin other models in a community-based portal = 0

another cg/3d whatever blog kissing up to pro companies = +1

sites left dedicated in the player modeling hobbyist community = skincity

skincity = 99.9% of skins suitable for "good, bad & ugly" article material

custom player example for companies to encourage support for such customization in multiplayer = bad bad bad
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Like Brome said, this guy has a point. If you're a regular here, you know that Polycount isn't the place that it used to be and that no one is urgently putting the model database back online. If you've wandered in here because you remember downloading a great PMP a year ago and need to get it again, I see why this is an issue. The site's models section says "this page will be back up within a few days," but that's clearly not the case.

When people start threads about a topic this often, I think it's fair to say there's a problem. Seeing as how this problem can be addressed in a few minutes, amending the models page text to better explain the situation... surely the mythical r13 could arrange that, if only he existed.
  • AluminumHaste
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i agree with johny, that fact that you can get great advice and good critiques to improve your modeling/texturing/whatever is reason enough to go to polycount.
    if models were once offered here (it was before my time) then it was a luxury, a luxury that was possible because people here allowed it. and if they take a way that luxury do they owe you anything? no, which you agreed on, but if not then why are you complaining?
    point being, stop complaing, and search for the models elsewhere... or perhaps you could stick around and learn how to model yourself?

edit: edited my post to be less annoying tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Than unfortunately there is no point in restoring the models database. Move on, delete that part and put up a sticky on the front page. Game over.
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    It only took two hours per two days for me (yeah just me on the task) to put up an assload (220+) of old Half-Life player models (scavenged from old Cold Fusion archives) up at addondb.com so what's the deal. I had to write descriptions, screenshots, matching authors, etc. Polycount already has all this info, reviews and pictures so how much of an effort is it compared to what I did over there anyway?

Last time I checked the model queue wasn't that big, but it sure had plenty of models dating back to a 2003/2004 submission date. Hmm.
  • Justin Meisse
  • KaosNKorruption
    Offline / Send Message
    KaosNKorruption polycounter lvl 18
    When was the last time anyone even visited the front page?
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    evidently quite recently smile.gif

cheapalert, maybe you can process any submission backlog and assemble a new database, someone can whip up a quick page to put them all on...
  • firestarter
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    more cats please
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh i would gladly help. I just need some database system to access and a place where all the old info, file links and shots are at.

I think also one of the main problems is the fact that Seemd3 doesn't work in XP sp2. My only way of using it is through a slow win95 QEMU virtual machine
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    [ QUOTE ]
    When was the last time anyone even visited the front page?

[/ QUOTE ]

i forgot there was a front page until a couple of weeks ago...
  • AstroZombie
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Polycount has changed, as Justin pointed out and you overlooked. Polycount isn't about running around in Q2 as Homer Simpson any more. I'll say it again since you seem to be hard of reading....

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me so sad. I wish it waslike that, still. I used to spend afternoonds loading peoples models into Quake2, Quake3, UT 2k3 and 2K4 just to see how they did things. I miss the models. and I have ben aroujnd since this was Q2PMP.

Scott
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me so sad. I wish it waslike that, still. I used to spend afternoonds loading peoples models into Quake2, Quake3, UT 2k3 and 2K4 just to see how they did things. I miss the models. and I have ben aroujnd since this was Q2PMP.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't around for Q2PMP but I miss the models as well, Scott frown.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    I'm nostalgic for those days gone by also, but did you see the crap that was getting submitted over the last 2 years. Sure there were some gems but the vast majority where "my first model" evar!11one

At some point you have to look at what is rolling in and ask yourself do we really want that to be the face of polycount? Granted the new layout isn't much better but I skip to the forums anyway hahaha... oh well... its under construction.