Home Unreal Engine

Light Map misconceptions?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9
I'm seeing conflicting information so before I start creating my light maps I'd rather weed out the wrong information. I'll just go over what I think is correct and you can tell me what's wrong and what's right.

1) You need to figure out the light map res you want to use before you create the light map uv channel? Is there some reason behind this because that would mean you couldn't adjust the light map res without having to redo the uvs every time.

2) Light map uvs DO or DO NOT have to be snapped to the grid? If true then you have to adjust the uv grid. To do this you need to divide 1 by your light map res(1/256 = 0.00390625 grid spacing for instance). Again, this seems it could become frustrating if you need to adjust the light map res at any point after the fact. The 3D motive video doesn't bother snapping the uvs to the grid let alone even worrying about the light map size calculation. Then there's the World of Level Design videos that implore you to snap the uvs to the grid so you don't get light bleeding.

If you're required to snap to the grid how does this work with unplanar type unwraps? For example, these uvs aren't perfectly square/rectangular. This is what's making me question the grid thing.

DFB2ZSI.jpg

This is what happens when I snap the shape to the grid though. The whole uv shape gets out of whack. So grid snapping can't be the answer for "organic" like uvs?

LhK4vSP.jpg

3) Wherever there's a plane change (ie shadow directional change) on your model is where the seam should be.

4) Uvs will need a 2-4 pixel padding, which is also where the checkerboard comes in handy. Again, still not sure if the grid snapping is needed cause that would provide the exact 2-4 padding instead of an estimation like in the 3d Motive video.

5) Uvs size MATTERS or DOESN'T MATTER? As in texal density is still something to plan for?

*Side question regarding AO maps and an issue I'm encountering. I baked AO maps for these separate modular wall pieces. However, this is causing some horrible lighting differences.

J5uQoZq.jpg

It's gotta be the AO right? Should I just not have the AO baked to them and let the light maps control the shadows?

I think I covered all my questions, but let me know if I'm on the right track!

Replies

• Parkar
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    1) You need to figure out the light map res you want to use before you create the light map uv channel? Is there some reason behind this because that would mean you couldn't adjust the light map res without having to redo the uvs every time.

You should target a min or common lightmap res. Going to a higher with the same UVs should work fine. Going lower might work ok depending on the case. The idea is to optimize for the common case.
    2) Light map uvs DO or DO NOT have to be snapped to the grid? If true then you have to adjust the uv grid. To do this you need to divide 1 by your light map res(1/256 = 0.00390625 grid spacing for instance). Again, this seems it could become frustrating if you need to adjust the light map res at any point after the fact. The 3D motive video doesn't bother snapping the uvs to the grid let alone even worrying about the light map size calculation. Then there's the World of Level Design videos that implore you to snap the uvs to the grid so you don't get light bleeding.
    Not sure if lightmass does padding so it might be important on the uv islands to avoid black shadows bleeding in. If it does padding you really only need to worry about making room for the padding.

Inside the uv islands the smoother the surface the less important. The thing you are trying to avoid is having a texel wrap around a corner as that may cause light or shadows wraping around as well.
    3) Wherever there's a plane change (ie shadow directional change) on your model is where the seam should be.

Yes anywhere you absolutely do not want a smooth transition in the lighting such as a hard edge etc should be a seam on the UV. You may want to break this rule in some cases to save UV space.
    4) Uvs will need a 2-4 pixel padding, which is also where the checkerboard comes in handy. Again, still not sure if the grid snapping is needed cause that would provide the exact 2-4 padding instead of an estimation like in the 3d Motive video.
    Again depends on if lightmass does padding. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this.
    5) Uvs size MATTERS or DOESN'T MATTER? As in texal density is still something to plan for?
    Not sure what you are asking about here but the texel density defines how detailed the captured lighting can be. You may want to give complex parts of your mesh a higher density than big flat surfaces.

Normally you wouldn't put object level AO in your material. Stick to details that is only available in the textures just as cracks etc. The engine is doing a pretty good job providing AO based on the geometry using the light maps and post process AO so you will just end up adding more AO in some places than others.

The problem seen in your screenshot can be avoided with careful planing of the AO baking but it's generally just not worth it due to the reasons above.

Edit: The problem in the screenshot could also be a lightmap seem. If it persists after removing the AO you probably need to tweak the lightmap resolution and/or lightmass settings.
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Parkar wrote: »
    You should target a min or common lightmap res. Going to a higher with the same UVs should work fine. Going lower might work ok depending on the case. The idea is to optimize for the common case.

Ok I'll just bake with a high res light map and decrease from there. This is for my portfolio anyways.
    Not sure if lightmass does padding so it might be important on the uv islands to avoid black shadows bleeding in. If it does padding you really only need to worry about making room for the padding.

I'm positive they require padding. Someone just needs to confirm if I can guestimate the padding distance in between each uv shell. I'm leaning towards yes, but I guess I'll find out when I make mine tomorrow.
    Not sure what you are asking about here but the texel density defines how detailed the captured lighting can be. You may want to give complex parts of your mesh a higher density than big flat surfaces.

Yeah, I was just wondering if having a larger uv shell yielded a better quality shadow than a smaller uv shell. Looks like the same rules apply as with texel density/baking normal maps. Not sure why I thought otherwise.
    Normally you wouldn't put object level AO in your material. Stick to details that is only available in the textures just as cracks etc. The engine is doing a pretty good job providing AO based on the geometry using the light maps and post process AO so you will just end up adding more AO in some places than others. The problem seen in your screenshot can be avoided with careful planing of the AO baking but it's generally just not worth it due to the reasons above.

I've always just provided an AO for anything that required a baked normal map. Are you suggesting otherwise? Sorry, just not understanding what you mean here.

I removed the AO from both of these walls yet neither wall blended together. Hopefully making their light maps does the trick. Even though these are separate meshes the lighting should still be able to blend the two seamlessly no?

Thanks for the replies too!
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Well I must be doing something wrong cause my shadows look like pooo

I only am worried about how the giant tube and and the platform/poles it's sitting on are baking

YuSRWRa.jpg
    y9TQt4G.jpg
    rcI0e9z.jpg

I've baked with as high of a res as 512. Is this something in my settings? Is it my uvs? My shadows are blotchy and fugly. One mesh has packed uvs while the other has plenty of padding. Both result in bad shadows. HELP!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Disabling the lightmap compression would help a lot, you wouldn't get "blotchy" shadows anymore.
    Check out this thread.
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Where is that in the settings? I have Compress shadowmap dusabled in the world properties but not sure if that's the same thing
  • Obscura
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah I dont know what the ini file is haha. What does ini stand for? Im looking on google
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    It stores some settings that lightmass will use. Just search for baselightmass.ini and for udklightmass.ini in the udk folder and change the lightmap compression lines from true to false.
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Ok I found udklightmass. Gotta find the other one. This will really increase memory usage right? Not like thats something im worried about right now. Just curious
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say not REALLY. It is increasing it for sure, but I always have it disabled, and I still have nice framerate (I didn't notice any change in the speed). Also, lightmaps are usually low-res so I wouldn't worry too much.You will have to rebake your lightmaps btw.
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Are my uvs too packed for the test tube btw? I just found I had overlapping even though I thought I didnt. I fixed the uvs and applied some more padding to what I had in comparison
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't need that much padding as you have on your first uvmap picture, but you don't have enough on the second picture I think. You are wasting almost the half of the uvspace on the first pic.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    I can talk to you on skype later today if you have further questions, but I have to go now. :D
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I definitely agree on that. Someone recommended that I split up the platform into pieces so that I can have more uv space for the light maps. It makes importing a pain cause you no longer have "one mesh". I baked with a 512 res onthe llatform and the test tube. The test tube looks better but overall things are still meh. Ill disable the two light mass settings and see how it looks then
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    And yes ill be on!
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Thank Kris (Obscura) for this insight! You're a genius!

Things are looking much improved. I redid the light maps for the test tube as I completely forgot I had overlapping uvs. Woops! I also needed to fix the texel density between uv shells. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. Then I bumped up the light map res to 512 and things turned out ok, but I was still getting the ugly compression. I learned about disabling the lightmass compression setting which helps some. Also, to bump up the static lighting level from the default 1 to something higher like 20. This is the game changer from what I can tell. When you do that you allow for smaller photons to hit the surfaces. The smaller the number the larger the photon, the uglier the shadow basically. To disable the light map compression you have to go to where you saved your UDK install, UDKGame/Config/UDKLightmass.ini and Engine/Config/BaseLightmass.ini.

Static lighting level = 1......compression
    KWEVUOC.jpg

Adjusting just the static level lighting is definitely a marked improvement.

Static lighting level = 20......compression
    aJBzr93.jpg

Turning off just the compression while leaving the static lighting at 1 isn't much different than having compression enabled. The shadows are less blocky and smoother though.

Static lighting level = 1......no compression
    GivDDzC.jpg

The real difference comes in adjusting both settings.

Static lighting level = 20......no compression
    Vimewcx.jpg

The higher the light map res is also makes a difference. I hope this helps someone else that runs into the same issue as I did!
  • connect2infos
    thank's bro it's helpful