Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character ; Zyra rise of the thorns

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
SladeDigital polycounter lvl 4
Part 1
It's been a while since i post here, lot of stuff have been going on and off,
specially when it comes to digital sculpting, I've been really trying to stretch it out, but there's such a long way ahead of me, but in the end, isn't there always a path to go in order to achieve something ?

Part 2 : The Concept

I was really trying to finally decide a character and actually finalize it, passing through all the stages to make it a game ready model, since I've posted countless times in this forum but they were all unfinished projects, and never with wires, and that's something people don't appreciate much, sure having a sculpt is nice but this time, it isn't enough for me.

I grabbed the concept made by Paul Kwon ( Zeronis ) he's famous by alot of his amazing work, and mostly by his contributions to the league of legends world, his concepts are always amazing and eye catching, therefore i picked on of his concepts.

Zyra was modelled by CG-Sammu he sculpted some of the most interesting characters in the league, but i couldn't stop noticing how the original Zyra concept by Zeronis ended up so much modified through out the rest of the stages , such as in the reveal , the splash art and the model it self.

Not criticizing anyone as the model and all the other art connect to it were pretty amazing and really work in the league of legends world, So kudos to all of you.

But my idea is to actually recreate Zyra just following Zeronis and try to make justice to the concept, wich hopefully i hope i do, it would be kinda of a shame ,my first fully finalized work being one of the major fails and insulting towards the original creator

zyra_official_concept_art_by_zeronis-d58myjn.jpg

Part 3 : actual images

here's some Work in progress images, remenber all of them are Work in progress, and i will try everyday to improve every areas i see that might need a few touches and so on.

finally, guys you're all more then welcome to give me your oppinions, suggestions, ideas, and criticism any of them will be more then welcome and help me further more growing up as an artist and understand my mistakes.

with all this said, here it goes,

zyra_rise_of_thorns_wip_1_by_sladedigital-d7dwxa2.png

zyra_rise_of_thorns_wip_2_by_sladedigital-d7dwxo3.png

Replies

• Solye
    Looking great, keep going ;D
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    Those Vines. That face. I love this.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think I haven't seen you in like 3 months or something xD Glad to see you again alive and well and starting another project.

Always love how you sculpt a girl's face. So adorable. Her shoulders could use some more definition, though.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Nice start! Looking forward to see more, I really like this character :).
    something is bugging me about the front of the shoulder area, it's a pretty flat space and on yours it looks like it's bumpy.
    Might me the angle or because we don't see the legs yet but her torso look a bit too much forward, I kind of feel like she is falling or pushing her chest out.
    Maybe that's just me.
    Be anyway great start, will follow the progress :D
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    @Solye : thank you :D much appreciated!

@Xagaroth : thank you for the kind words! glad to read them

@PyrZern : ahah! yeah it's been a while trying to come back for good! glad to see you arround! and thank you for the comment!

@Tits : Thank you once again for all the tips, and comments you did on my work, very glad to know you appreciate my work, it means alot to me.

Also thank you for the support you gave me back at the hangout today and all the kind words, i will make sure i use them to shape out things in the future !

So today was another day to make out progress in this project of mine, managed to make most of the hair and positionate it in the right place, there's still things to fix in it, specially regards the size and curves they do, and everything they overlap

here's a few pics for you all !

zyra_rise_of_thorns_bust_sculpt_wip_1_by_sladedigital-d7e22ae.png
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    zyra_rise_of_thorns_bust_sculpt_wip_3_by_sladedigital-d7ejomk.png

It's been so much fun developing this project!
    hope you guys appreciate my work, there's still stuff to do but it's getting close
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Looking good. A few crits. The shoulders a really weird right now. It feels like she has no deltoid muscles. The arms also really bug me. I know it's not quite in the concept, but you still need to put muscle and bone structure in the to make it feel natural. The boobs also feel a bit small compared to concept. They are also a way too gravity defying. Give them some sag ( for lack of a better word). Boobs are made up of a lot of fat so they won't perk up like that unless they are fake or really small (lacking fat). Also she seems to have vine indentations wrapping around her arms. I think you should indicate this more. Currently it just looks like noise on the arms.

Here is a paint over with some proportion suggestions:

TfHpDsI.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    it's looking real nice,

might actually try this concept sometime myself...
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    @stevston89 : Thank you for all the critics , and for that paint over, i've been tweaking all the mistakes pointed out by you, the anatomy is still somewhat of a thing to me , but in the next update you'll see mistakes fixed

@Dave Jr : Thanks man, yeah Zeronis is a beast, he does some really neat stuff.
    you should give it a go aswell.
  • mad-
    Offline / Send Message
    mad- polycounter lvl 4
    looking great!!! :)
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    zyra_rise_of_thorns_high_res_sculpt_by_sladedigital-d7eqjrr.jpg

@mad : thank you :D!

This is just the High res Sculpt straight from zbrush, now comes the retopology process,
    hopefully everything will go just about right
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good with the changes!
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Looking much better. Are you going to do the leaves warping around to the back like in the concept?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I think her belly button can use some more love, but it's just a small picky details though xD
    She looks lovely ! Great job so far.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    She looks great, amazing job, where is the original to compare?
    Anyone.
    Really awesome character design never the less and well executed, hope to see the final just as amazing.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looking damn sharp!
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist Thank you so much! glad to know you liked it!

stevston89 Gotta thank you to point out my mistakes they sure helped me improve

PyrZern now that you mention it, there's probably a few tweaks i can do in order to fix ,thank you for pointing me it.

D4V1DC Thank you a buch! it means alot to me! i will try to do my best in order to make the concept and the character the justice they bouth deserve!

slosh Let's hope i can mantain that oppinion until the final step of my work! thanks alot!
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been such a fun amazing project to develop it's getting every day closer and closer to be fully finished!

there's a few details to be added and a few mistakes to be fixed, hopefully i will manage to do those in the following days, then it's retopology time as i said before.

zyra_rise_of_the_thorns_by_sladedigital-d7f0o3x.jpg
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Awesome job man really good!!!
  • Fenn
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Slade. I saw you working in Zbrush Hangout.
    As I said there. Amazing work. It is hard to tell from the angle, lighting, and polypaint differences, but is the neck on your model slightly thinner than the original? Very nit picky, but since you still have some time before retopo.
    I can't wait to see the rest.

Edit: I kept looking at it and tried to figure it out. The overall diameter seems like it would match the concept from front on. I think what is throwing me off is how thick the wrapping on her neck seems to be. Imagine how far her neck would be in without that.
    Now I feel dumb for having even mentioned it.
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE!~

Phew sorry for leaving this one hanging for so long, sadly i was really holding back in getting into Lowpoly and actually bake textures and what not,
    This is something so new to me and i was trying to improve as much as i can when it comes to anatomy and sculpting before heading in this direction.

But it's already time to finnaly give make that step
    So here goes another WIP of the low poly,

zyra_rise_of_the_thorns_low_poly_by_sladedigital-d7kesht.png

( didn't baked the eyes and eye lashes along side with the face yet )

(the hair is still needing textures, sadly being kinda hard to unwrap them and texture ._. )

@Kend thank you !
    @Fenn I've beeng playing arround with it, the lightning kinda gave people the wrong impression, not quiet sure , thank you alot for all the feedback!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice update there. Love how stylized she looks. I never tried a face topo like this before. Will this animate well ?
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern : thank you! , i was so "lucky" that my first retopology , was so painfully annoying, due the multiple hears and her eyesbrows being stylized the way they're,
    Oh yeah my original idea is to pose this,in a attempt with a collab with someone in the community (@tits) she made Jinx
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I meant to comment on the face topology yesterday. You are going to want to redo it. It really won't deform well. I made a quick little guide of the loops that are most important. First I would make the eyebrows a seperate object they are really going to mess up your topology. Second you want to make sure there are circular loops flowing around the mouth and the eyes. Also make sure you have loops flowing from the nostrils down around the chin. Last make sure you keep loops flowing around the eyes in a mask shape ( you sort of already have that). Here is that guide:

Z7C5mnj.jpg
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    You're mostly right, i have been looking at it and how it was being baked and what not,

The eyebrows really need to be separated,
    and those particular places will need to be re-checked, ty for the headsup!
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    zyra_rise_of_the_thorns____marmoset_render_by_sladedigital-d7miqsm.png

Zyra rise of the thorns, i made this character based on the art of League of Legends and the main concepts illustrated by Paul Kwon ( Zeronis )

Programms used for the creating were Zbrush / 3D coat / 3ds Max / Photoshop and Marmoset

This isn't the definitive Final version of the whole project, there is things in need to be fixed along side some additions to the whole project as i'm gonna try to rig it next and pose it properly
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    zyra_rise_of_the_thorns____marmoset_render_alpha_3_by_sladedigital-d7nnlv9.png

zyra_rise_of_the_thorns____marmoset_render_alpha_2_by_sladedigital-d7nnkwn.png

o far the polycount to the model is arround 55k, i know this is kinda of a high value wich isn't really necessary for the whole character
    but since it's my first baking/ and low poly creation i will let it pass, my next project will have a more resized value in terms of polys.