Home General Discussion

Orbis / PS4

Replies

• Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    The only thing I will say about the hardware specs is that 8gb should be standard. In terms of graphical quality, PC vs consoles, I've been really impressed with the studios that do console games. Despite the perceived lack of firepower consoles have, certain console games have bettered a lot of PC games in terms of immersion and creativity. I'm a console and PC gamer, I always buy certain types of games according to the platform. To say that the hardware is more important to a game, is a disservice to what can be achieved on a console.
  • Visceral
    Regarding what Target renegade suggested, i quite agree, i mean i can still be impressed with the graphics on the PS3 even if the hardware is like 8 years old its still impressive, now that i head the Orbis wont be as powerfull as my gaming rig im a little dissapointed, but then i remember what kinds of things they can squeeze out of the ol'e PS3 and Xbox, and im looking foreward to the next gen.

Even if the graphics leap will be as big as the leap from ps2 to Ps3 i still think they can accomplish alot.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    ZacD wrote: »
    As long as we aren't baking lighting anymore I'm all for next gen ^-^

Prepare for disappointment.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    I am just saying its extremely wasteful as it stands now and wont be what really makes next gen. Lighting and physical based shaders will.

I reckon you'll be surprised by what people come up with. I've seen some awesome fire and smoke effects based around dynamic displacement through tesselation ;)
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
  • ScottP
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    As long as we aren't baking lighting anymore I'm all for next gen ^-^

This ^^
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    4 GB unified system memory

OM NOM NOM. Yes please. I hear people say "Oh, 4gb is nothing!".

Remember, games like Uncharted 3, Rage, Last of Us, etc are all running on 256mb video ram, 256 everything else. One benefit of 360 dev over PS3 was 512mb to do with as you please.

So, 4gb unified on a sony platform is HUGE.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Slum wrote: »
    OM NOM NOM. Yes please. I hear people say "Oh, 4gb is nothing!".

Remember, games like Uncharted 3, Rage, Last of Us, etc are all running on 256mb video ram, 256 everything else. One benefit of 360 dev over PS3 was 512mb to do with as you please.

So, 4gb unified on a sony platform is HUGE.

Plus 2.2 extra dedicated VRAM, no? Or am I taking that up wrong? (Probably.)

So it seems like we see it on the 20th of February folks! :) I can never afford these things at launch, and never buy at launch anyway because of abysmal launch line-ups but it's still always very exciting! :)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah the most exciting parts about new consoles is the new games and how they look.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    i hope they show off a game with the console announcement...:)
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

Quote:
    Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller and launch by the end of the year in Japan and the US. PlayStation 4’s European launch will follow in early 2014.

Sony is set to reveal its next PlayStation on Wednesday February 20th at an event dubbed ‘see the future’. Sony Computer Entertainment released a teaser video last night to announce the event. Below, our sources revealed what to expect from PlayStation 4.

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The launch

We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution. Alongside the console, Sony will also introduce a new, improved iteration of its PlayStation Eye peripheral, which remains compatible with the PlayStation Move controller. Move will be available at launch, but it’s not clear yet whether it will be bundled with the hardware. Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much more PC-like in its makeup than PS3.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip.

It’s clear Sony has designed a system that, on paper, outperforms Microsoft’s next Xbox. One source familiar with both platforms tells us that in real terms Sony’s console is “slightly more powerful” and “very simple to work with”.

Ultimately, the performance differences between the two consoles will have as much bearing on multiplatform releases as the differences between PS3 and 360 – very little – but Sony will be expecting big-budget firstparty releases such as the PS4 Uncharted sequel to demonstrate its console’s superiority.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Good news all round there.

I also like the sound of having the touch-strip on the front; not a big fan of the rear-facing Vita solution. As long as the sticks are nice and tight like on the 360's controller (something that really irks me about the DS3) I'm up for this new controller.

I read online today that some people think that teaser video actually refers to a PS Slim Vita. What a terrible troll that would be! :D
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I can't wait, I hope the price is at least reasonable this time around and the consoles are stable at launch because I plan on getting one then... Are there any "accurate rumors" on prices?
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    I suspect that even Sony don't quite know the final price yet.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    glottis8 wrote: »
    Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

How would this work? If its just a touchscreen version of start/select/home buttons then its sort of useless, on the other hand if it's not then it means users will have to go through extra steps to pause their game which could be quite bad in terms of intense gameplay moments where they need to be able to start/stop instantly.
    The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

Sounds like that'll be hell on the HDD.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Doesn't GDDR5 run extremely hot? and wouldnt using that much be prohibitively expensive?
  • JamesWild
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance
    Designing a system to play games rather than to be "new", "special", "unique" and ultimately interesting to the engineers who designed it would have been enough.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    PS2 : 4 MB Embedded DRAM video memory bandwidth at 48 GB/s
    PS3 : 256 MB video ram 20 GB/s read to the Cell and XDR memory 15 GB/s write to the Cell and XDR memory
    PS4 : 4-8 GB ddr5 at ~48 GB/s
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    PS2 : 4 MB Embedded DRAM video memory bandwidth at 48 GB/s
    PS3 : 256 MB video ram 20 GB/s read to the Cell and XDR memory 15 GB/s write to the Cell and XDR memory
    PS4 : 4GB DDR3 at ~170 GB/s

FTFY.
  • Spiral_DPrassel

They will. Likely CGI, however. There hasn't been a console generation in so long. They are really going to pull some strings and make everyone marvel at what they want us to think these things can do. I still remember the original Xbox E3 showcasing. Some of those technology demos still look good even today!
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Not really. They are reporting 4gb currently, with a potential for 8gb before launch. So, not fixing needed...
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I was going off wikipedia on what it said DDR5's bandwidth is, I just checked and if the new xbox is just using DDR3, the fastest speeds I see are around ~24 GB/s. And from what I've been reading about graphics cards, if your memory bandwidth is low you can't advantage of the extra ram as much.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    ambershee wrote: »
    Prepare for disappointment.

/nods :/
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I3lXLf2.png

rumored controller
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Start of the typical Sony leak? What is about Sony, pretty much everything they do gets leaked in a crazy amount of detail. Was it the E3 before the Slim that pretty much everything that had was leaked?

Anyway! I'm excited.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It could be a fan mockup, but its accurate to the rumors.

I wish the controller was a bit wider, and bigger handles for larger hands. Concave joysticks are great. I hope pausing isn't awkward but the share button could be awesome for screen shots or replays.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    If the rumors were true for the controller it would be pretty sweet to see stats, ect on the screen while you play, or leaderboards.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a fan mockup. Here's some more:

mk7iJuW.png
    frrrDBil.png
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah definitely looked like a fake mock-up. The shapes are all over the place, no way a product designer went near that thing :P The elliptical button alone makes it look like some cheap PC controller from back in the day.

Not too mention it looks very flat in that image, for example the sticks look like stickers.

I think the rumoured 'share' button might be at the top of the touch strip; out of the way of regular gameplay.

Gotta say I'm keen on the idea of being able to record your gameplay.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    The "share" button could be really nice if implemented correctly, or really annoying if not.

The right way to do it: Make it fully customizable in system preferences with options that let it be set to take pictures or video, instant-capture or pause-set-capture, save locally or upload to server, etc.

The wrong way to do it: Brings up a menu every time interrupting gameplay, with no ability to save locally, and captured media is watermarked (I'm looking at you Vita).
  • JamesWild
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    The shapes are all over the place, no way a product designer went near that thing

Nintendo-3ds.png
    Just copying the competition
  • Visceral
    I fail to see how the suggested PS4 controller and the 3ds looks anything alike, at all.
    2 analog sticks?
    Dpad under the analog stick?
    extremly weird positioning of the buttons
    unergonomical as hell

I got a 3ds and can barely play on it, it hurts my hands and my eyes.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor

RRRRIDGEE RACER!
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild wrote: »
    Just copying the competition

I see no similarity whatsoever.
    Visceral wrote: »
    I fail to see how the suggested PS4 controller and the 3ds looks anything alike, at all.
    2 analog sticks?
    Dpad under the analog stick?
    extremly weird positioning of the buttons
    unergonomical as hell

I got a 3ds and can barely play on it, it hurts my hands and my eyes.

Agreed. My hands really hurt after a while. I have an XL. I just turn off the 3D. It's just so bloody awkwardly designed for my large-ish hands. Anyone with a circle pad pro XL notice any improvement?
  • ErichWK
  • JamesWild
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't say the 3DS and PS4 mockup looked alike, I said they both looked like a product designer had never even entered the same planet as the device in question during development.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I think the post was just a joke about sticking a screen in the middle?
  • tupwick
    Best thing we can ask for is a sleek little black metal box [for the heat] with as much power in it as possible and no fancy features like backwards compatibility and touch screen pointless rubbish. Get some decent power that will last for many years and reduce the size of Sony's loss margin. I believe at the time they launched the PS3 they were selling each at a loss of $200-300 whilst Nintendo pocketed a $100+ per console. They aren't exactly in as good shape these days.

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1359406800000&chddm=588455&chls=IntervalBasedLine&q=NYSE:SNE&ntsp=0&ei=EqERUbD4JuaDwAOGTg

The more this turns out like a brute force computer that they can deliver content to from the web or disc the better. When it comes down to it we all just love seeing great new games that look a little bit fancier than the last ones.
    I missed out on the PS3 for various reasons like having an Xbox and PC. I would LOVE to get in on some of the games like Journey and Ni No Kuni. Maybe a small game like Journey can be easily ported but I would always prefer Sony took that backwards compatibility money and put it somewhere that was more about the future than the past!
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Erick that is the longest .GIF I have ever seen! :D
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Haha. Kaz will save us all from this Console Generation. kazining.gif
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Michael Pachter: "PS4 with 240fps and hyperrealistic graphics" does that man live in a different time?

But man i freaking love the Shinning gif
  • JamesWild
    Offline / Send Message
    That could be an interesting direction, actually, perform very rough lighting and other sampling and push for a clean multiple of 60fps, before blending the results to get real motion blur.

But I doubt that's what he meant :p
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Michael Pachter: "PS4 with 240fps and hyperrealistic graphics" does that man live in a different time?

Did Pachter actually say that?

That guy is the worst "analyst" I've ever encountered.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »

That guy is the worst "analyst" I've ever encountered.

He used to be immeasurably worse. It was cringeworthy how little he knew the industry when he started. No he seems to be on the balls, but mostly with things most hardcore gamers/game developers would already know or speculate.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    No he seems to be on the balls, but mostly with things most hardcore gamers/game developers would already know or speculate.

I've not seen anything from him to support that statement :P - everything is nonsense.

The guy is completely clueless. I have absolutely no idea why I always see the rubbish he comes out with cited in news articles.

Haha, awesome article:
    http://nintendo.about.com/od/wiiliving/a/Does-Michael-Pachter-Know-What-Hes-Talking-About.htm
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-01/sony-preps-playstation-update-in-push-to-keep-consoles-relevant.html

Read it for yourself
    Well I guess he is quoted because he is a major analyst for the gaming sector so people think he got a major insight and connections but sometimes it feels like he just throwing darts at mindless comments.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

i don't like kinect, and this doesn't sound too good to me :(
  • wasker
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7

"Sony’s new console will feature graphics chips developed by Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD) and processors capable of rendering games at 240 frames a second, Pachter said. Current-generation games typically render at 30 or 60 frames per second. "

Nice! So 240 fps for nextgen then? In Pacther we trust.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    But my tv only displays 60 frames per second, what will happen to the other 180 frames?
  • JamesWild
    Offline / Send Message
    But my tv only displays 60 frames per second, what will happen to the other 180 frames?

Blur them together for better motion, lower sample quality on shadows/reflections/etc. I realise it's a rediculous viewpoint, but I see this as being hugely advantageous over rendering at the target framerate for image quality.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message

Well your eyes won't be sensing them for a start. :thumbup: