Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dota 2 Polycount Contest 'Q&A Thread'

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
This is thread is your best bet for asking any questions you might have about the Dota 2 Polycount Contest. The polycount team and Valve will do their best to get back to you with answers as quickly as possible.

For information about the contest including the rules and specifications visit this page here.

For further pipeline information, check out the Dota 2 wiki: http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Dota_2_Wiki:Model_Pictures

Replies

• Orangeknight
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    So this contest is character only and not props/environments?

Answer: Characters only. We'll be having a Challenge shortly after the winers for this contest are announced that will be a broader range of artist types.
  • cesar11
    Offline / Send Message
    cesar11 polycounter lvl 8
    Is floating geometry acceptable?

Answer: Yes.
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Is making multiple entries/item sets (each with its own thread) allowed?

Answer: Yes. You have 6 weeks and must match all of the requirements, however.
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Suppose we've started something and it's mostly at the concept/blockout stage. Is finishing this and submitting it to the contest go? Somewhat relatedly, I expect people to resubmit their already-submitted items just for the contest and wonder if that'll fly too. Not something I'd want to encourage, but doubt there's anything to stop it.

Answer: They need to have a thread on Polycount that shows the progress. Valve will be checking this for all entries. As for things already started as a concept, I can't see Valve having an issue with that.
  • cesar11
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about this but maybe you can relay it to whoever is in charge.

The model Wind runner is missing the OBJ shoulders.
  • cesar11
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we change the texture of the hero at all?

Answer: You can’t change the base hero’s texture. Changes should be additive (new models).
  • cox
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    Should we do all the item set pieces to be eligible?

For example, if I pick Doom Bringer. I'm suposed to do all parts (Head, Shoulder, Arms, Belt, Back, Tail and Weapon)?

ty!

Answer: This wasn't clear in the rules and will be after this is written: You do not need to do every item set piece that is available for that Hero. A minimum of 3 items per Hero item set must be completed.
  • Fishmonger
    Can someone participate even if they suck at everything?

Answer: Of course.
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    What does "item set" mean?
    how many items makes a set?

Answer: Answered this above: 3 item minimum. An item set should be of a cohesive design.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    If i've done already 1 item for Bounty Hunter, and already submitted in the workshop, can i create a complete set in theme with that item (that item included)?

Answer: Your entry must be completely original for this contest.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Just to clarify, does DOTA2 use jiggle bones like TF2 does? The guidelines make note of being able to use "additional bones" beyond the one that's rooted to the base model, but does not go into any further detail.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Are we allowed to rework old submissions into new ones?
    What if I wanted to rework from scratch an old item set of mine, starting with reworking the concepts?

Answer: Your entry must be completely original for this contest.
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Is there a tool for previewing dota 2 assets? the _mask1 and _mask2 textures seem to be compilations of many different textures which needs a special shader to view.
  • Aikari Tsero
    Is there a reason that Bloodseeker isn't on the acceptable heros list, or is that just an oversight?
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    ^ Seconding Olli's question. Working with the old Alien Swarm SDK just doesn't cut it if we want to really dig into good looking effects with the hero shader. At the moment it seems like it's necessary to actually submit items to the workshop to even preview them in the game - resubmitting your WIP each time you want to look at it with accurate shaders is kind of iffy...

edit: v Oh hey thanks BrontoThunder, knowing that helps.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    You don't have to submit it, there's a preview stage before the submission stage.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Is there a short tutorial on mask1 and mask2? I feel dumb for asking but I dont entirely understand how they work for specular.

EDIT: Anyone with the same question check out the first post on page 3 by Quiggalo. Thanks man!
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Is there a short tutorial on mask1 and mask2? I feel dumb for asking but I dont entirely understand how they work for specular.

http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements
    Explained in the UVs and Texturing portion (way down in the bottom of the page)
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Are we allowed to use parts already there. like When making a New helmet for huskar can cut out the ponytail and use that has part of the new item?

Answer: Your entry must be completely original.
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo polycounter lvl 8
    You guys spelled "Enchantress" wrong in your hero list and shouldn't this banner only include heroes on your list? For example, tidehunter is in the banner, but not in your list as acceptable heroes. Drow and Naga Siren are the only ones in your list on the banner.
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Adam, can you ask Valve to definitively state whether the model limits are meant to be in tris or polys?

So far, the in-game submission tool simply counts total facecount (regardless if tri or poly) so people can import a higher poly model if its not triangulated.
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov wrote: »
    Adam, can you ask Valve to definitively state whether the model limits are meant to be in tris or polys?

So far, the in-game submission tool simply counts total facecount (regardless if tri or poly) so people can import a higher poly model if its not triangulated.

Did you make a thread on the dev forum about this? JohnM could prolly answer this.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov wrote: »

As far as i know i think we are talking about tris. When i imported my model in the game the first few times i was over the limit, and it was referring to tris.
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Are we allowed to ignore some bones? (Like if I made shorter hair would i have to use hair_R2C0 even if i have no need for it?
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    motenai - if you triangulate your mesh it will spit out an error. Apparently if you export a ---- edited out ---. Still attempting to reproduce this however.

Ok reproduced and added to the dev blog.
  • Rilem
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
    On the workshop technical requirements page of the Lone Druid, the Spirit Bear and True Form specs are included. Are these part of a set and can we remodel or add stuff to them?
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Olli, I downloaded some of the models so I'll check out their texture sheets to see what the artists did

Another question, If we're doing a hero with armour attached to the base model, can we model armour on top/delete the armour attached to the model? Just curious because I'm worried about my entry having clashing designs.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    about this next other challenge, will have the same importance of this one?
    it will be able to create entire character like the couriers?
    thanks

Answer: Our next Challenge will not be with Valve or related to Dota 2.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    motenai wrote: »
    As far as i know i think we are talking about tris. When i imported my model in the game the first few times i was over the limit, and it was referring to tris.

Yea I noticed this situation as well today importing the models.
    For my entry it says:
    limit is for lod 1 550 polys on the site but then I import the head it says 624 polys?
    If I needed the extra 50 would that be okay?

This is indeed a bit confusing, I mean I will stay at the 550 but many will be confused if they view the base designs poly counts and are wondering why can't we just match or get near to the defaults since we will be replacing them anyway.
  • bounchfx
    Do we skin the objects to the bones? Is there a tutorial on how to achieve this for our entries?*

*for maya
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone have news about Blood Seeker? is it a mistake the reason why they didn't add him or it's 100% wanted?
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »

I thought it was tris as well, but I tested it today and imported a 600face(poly)/1200tri sphere into a 650 max 'poly' slot and it worked.
  • bounchfx
    One more - do we have to keep the original palette, or can the new items bring distinctly new colors/flavor to the character?

Answer: You can do whatever you think is best for your item set.
  • BNeutral
    This list http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements seems to be missing AntiMage (and probably others?). Will it be updated shortly or is one better off scavenging the game files?
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Is Antimage really included? He's in the list but does not have a guideline/model on the workshop. No Antimage is the only one missing in the workshop.
  • JimoUK
    I have a weapon already accepted in to the game which I would like to create a matching set for. Would this be allowed?
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Just saw that tidehunter isnt on the list - why ?
  • Mavell Duceau
    One question. Why not storm spirit? I feel he would be a good person to work on, and he has a downloadable model.
  • sheckee
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    I have a question re. Templar Assassin.

It says Body, head and shoulders.

I guess Body refers to the arm pieces and the waist part. Should we leave the skirt and the top as it's part of the body mesh?

I guess head is hair.
    Shoulders are the shoulders / mask
    Body are the arm pieces and the belt thing.

Thanks.

Answer: Your best bet is to ask this one on the Dota 2 dev forum.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Just download the model and check :D
  • sheckee
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    Just download the model and check :D

Have man :D
    All signs point to that, but it's a bit weird then because there's already base boots, and upper armor that has a set color palette that goes completely against what Im planning. So I'm kind of hoping I'm wrong.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, looking at all the TA items in the Workshop it looks like it's split up exactly how you suggested, seems like a strange way to do it with shoulder including the mask.
  • Fango
    There are some Heroes that are not on list, but are in the workshop, can you confirm that this it only the ones listed on the Polycount post that are viable.

Specifically I'd like to do Kunkka, he is not listed on the PC post, but is on the workshop page.

Cheers :)

Answer: Only the ones on the list are available for this contest.
  • SoJa
    Fango wrote: »
    Answer: Only the ones on the list are available for this contest.

Can you please give us a light on this. Why there are several heroes available on the workshop, but not for the contest and several heroes are available for the contest, but not listed on the workshop? It's very confusing.

Answer: I can't answer it specifically, no. That's the list Valve gave us.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    sheckee wrote: »
    Have man :D
    All signs point to that, but it's a bit weird then because there's already base boots, and upper armor that has a set color palette that goes completely against what Im planning. So I'm kind of hoping I'm wrong.

Unforunately you are right. As someone who has made a TA set, and (from the looks of it?) got it into game, I can say it's a pain, but that's how it works. "Head" is her hair, "Shoulders" is her shoulder pads and face mask, and "Armour" is her skirt, bracers and sleeves.
  • Lirlond
    Any chances of the hero list increasing? I'd like to work on a set for Batrider, since he has very few items available, but he's not on the list. I'm guessing thats because his model isn't broken up?

Answer: For now, the list on the page is the list of Hereoes chosen for this contest. Good luck!
  • Mark.N
    @$!nz (or anyone else for that matter) - There is a way to change the budget limitations imposed by the in-game importer by editing a script file located inside of the main dota folder.

The post detailing how to do so is located here.

Edit this and go over the limits at your own discretion (Valve may even auto-reject you for it); the heroes do have hard limits on polycount and texture size and will not work past a certain point (this depends on the hero). I would only use this as a last resort if you needed to fudge a few extra tris on to your submission(s) or to take some beauty shots in-game(without submitting the high-end specs of course).
  • jasonroels
    Are there any tutorials on how to start?

Answer: This is an entire community for creating videogame art. Click around! (Check the wiki, linked at the very top.)
  • dvukomanovic
    The spectator client will not work with anyone who has a ‘limited’ Steam account – meaning they’ve never spent money on Steam and have only ever used free software)."

Can I name "limited user" as a member of a team when submitting to workshop?
  • Qwiggalo
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Do we skin the objects to the bones? Is there a tutorial on how to achieve this for our entries?*

*for maya

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pTAxfvKwc&feature=g-upl"]From Maya to Dota 2 - YouTube[/ame] at 2:00 I also added a mask1&2 tutorial.