Cat Banjo polycounter lvl 2
    And now a temple in Bhutan.

18001569663_d420d67349_b.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Cat Banjo,

I have a question, is there a ton of photos mixed together in your scenes? It looks like there is, maybe it's noisy brushes but there is too much detail going on. I'd go for simple shapes with a simple brush at first.

Lreisis has a good expample of simple values and shapes here.

And more on that in his thread.

Right now there is a lot of noise and detail in your pieces, but not much lighting-wise. In this last scene the noisy background actually looks off since it's so detailed where the closer buildings have way less detail, this is usually reversed since atmospheric perspective will mute most of the noise/value changes in the distance.

Also, in your material balls, they look like rendered balls with a texture applied to them rather than a ball of a certain material. I'd suggest to simplify and start from a basic sketch first.

Saying all of that, you seem to have your feet under you for such little painting done, everything I suggested is just more to keep in mind on the next pieces. Good luck going forward!
  • Cat Banjo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cat Banjo polycounter lvl 2
    Avanthera, I am so grateful you took the time to check out my first attempts at digital art. I am currently studying to improve my "tool box" by committing to learn Brush, Maya and Photoshop.

I need to ask for clarification, as my PS teacher is long on technique and demonstration but mighty light on useful critique, and thus, I do not know what the term "noisy" brush is.
    I am not familiar with the term and need to get my vocabulary expanded.

Keeping in mind what you have suggested, I will again approach both the texture balls and the mountain scene. Could you suggest simple brushes I should explore?

I've posted below the next project is a "photo bash" concept drawing for a final piece. Let's see what will happen with the suggestions you have made . Also please make any suggestions I should implement for a better sale of the concept around the lighting. I am specifically concerned with the lighting and atmosphere around the buildings in the back.
    I appreciate your input,
    and thank you again!

18866803641_756b18f894_b.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I think you need to draw/paint more, like a lot more in your pieces. its really obvious your just slapping photos together.

photo baching is a powerful tool but its really only something you should use when you have the fundamentals down. I would spend some time just doing studies, trying to get a painting/drawing down, and dont worry so much about making final illustrations.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey CatBanjo, pretty much what lolet says is on point.

The term noisy brush was just referring to any brush that adds extra detail as you paint. I'd suggest sticking to a hard round or other simple brush. The important thing is again, like lolet said, the fundamentals.