Home General Discussion

Batman shooting........so stupid

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18921492

Apparently some guy went on a shooting spree during the dark knight rises, people are really stupid, why would anyone do that, now violent movies and violent video games are going to start taking the blame yet again, all because some idiot thought he would be cool and kill people, GAH!

Edit:

I just found out a few friends of mine that I went to school with were in the theater watching the movie when it happened, luckily they made it out ok but 2 friends of one of their girlfriends were shot, they're in the hospital now so thank God they didn't die, so sad to hear bout the rest of the people....

Replies

• Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Oh god that's horrifying. And with the gas mask it'd definitely take more than a few seconds to realise it's not a staged prank for the movie opening.
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Forget about the ramifications for films and games, what he did was vile and disgusting. I will never understand some people. What a dickhead.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i don't understand how he got a gun into the place...

here (united kingdom) i get searched if i go into a theatre with a backpack... and they're only looking to see if i'm trying to sneak in snacks lol!

i've just done a bit of reading on a UK news site, and apparently one american advocate of tighter gun control is actually speaking some sense... he's not preaching about what changes he wants to see, but actually speaking about how terribly bad the two potential presidents are at even discussing the issue.
    The president and his challenger issued statements expressing sympathy with the victims but neither touched the thorny issue of gun control, particularly in an election year and with opinion polls showing growing support for relaxing existing firearms laws. But Bloomberg said in a radio interview that "soothing words are nice"."But maybe it's time the two people who want to be president of the United States stand up and tell us what they're going to do about it, because this is obviously a problem across the country. And everybody always says: Isn't it tragic?"
    Bloomberg, who leads a group of mayors seeking tighter gun control laws, said that whatever the views of the presidential contenders on the second ammendment right to bear arms, they should not avoid talking about the issue.
    "There's so many murders with guns every day," he continued. "It's just gotta stop. And instead of these two people, President Obama and Governor Romney talking in broad things about, they want to make the world a better place. OK. Tell us how. And this is a problem. No matter where you stand on the second amendment, no matter where you stand on guns, we have a right to hear from both of them, concretely, not just in generalities, specifically, what are they going to do about guns?

link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2012/jul/20/denver-batman-premiere-shooting-live

i think this is probably the most important line in the entire thing:
    "But maybe it's time the two people who want to be president of the United States stand up and tell us what they're going to do about it, because this is obviously a problem across the country. And everybody always says: Isn't it tragic?"

and that's probably the most true statement about gun crime i've ever read.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    You know what's tragic? No one else in that theater had a weapon to use against him. Honestly, do you, or that person you quoted, think this wouldn't have happened if we had tighter gun control?Where the hell did he get tear gas? I sure as fuck don't know where. Canisters aren't hanging at the local Walmart. The guy was a fucking lunatic, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with gun control.

And no, we don't get searched here, even for candy. People would go into frenzy, if some minimum waged teenager was rustling through their personal stuff. Even still, this guy probably would have shot the person that does the inspections.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    He recreated the scene from a batman comic book

r620-7287416e80922620fccb76fdf86fa724.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    It's more than guy had a gun. A gun is just a tool, it takes intent and action to use it. Whats always disturbed me is in EVERY case people suspected that the person might try something along those lines. There is a reason we have so many psychopaths, it's because everyone treats everyone who they are not friends with in the same way a psychopath would, cold and indifferent. It makes spotting them before they start shit so much harder because the differences are not as dramatic as in some cultures. The other problem is this idea of fame. Combine the drive for fame with that of the will and intent of a psychopath and you get people willing to kill so that people know who they are and remember them.
  • Mark Dygert
    Bloomberg also thought it was a good idea to limit sugary drinks to 16oz, sort of a forced diet... That level of control in peoples personal lives tends to piss people off and if people wanted more soda the would just get two 16oz, which would be more than the standard next size up 24oz, so his plan would generate more trash and make the problem worse. The answer to this one is education, respect and freedom of choice, even bad ones. You can round off all of the sharp corners and level all of the cliffs, but the lemmings will still find a way to commit suicide unless they are allowed to make informed decisions.

Bloomberg also used the cops to dismantle Zuchatti park to put down occupy, instead of actually addressing why they where there. "This is making my city unclean and the people who back my campaigns nervous, it must be cleaned... They are incapable of putting up much of a fight, we have the guns..."
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    This is so so sad. People are capable of the most beautiful and amazing things, and then some people are sick deviant shits who do the most messed up stuff imaginable for no reason. Really breaks my heart for all those people who are hurt and lost loved ones.
  • Thomas P.
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomas P. polycounter lvl 14
    A horrible thing that happened today. However, Gun control is not the solution here. If a person has the intend to kill somebody he will. He can use a rock, a baseball bat, knifes or self made explosives whatever else to do just that. Banning/controlling guns will matters worse. Criminals will have no problem getting guns no matter what. The problem is rooted much deeper.
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Well, a bottle of soda doesn't make your head hollow..

I have such a hard time seeing how carrying a gun would be one's right. We are just starting to have problems with guns in southern Sweden. Escalating over the last 5 years, and if it would have been legal to get your self a gun to defend your self, the death number would be near 100 instead of the 20 or whatever it is now.

Something like this would be so much harder to pull of in a country with more strict gun laws. It just takes with nutjob to kill all these people, it's just that he needs a gun first. That gun is so much easier to find illegally in a country like the States, then in a country like Sweden were you get years in prison to just carry a gun without a permit (a hunting rifle can only be carried in the woods, and a pistol can only be carried on a shooting range).

I say make it even harder to have a gun. I don't want that shit around me when I walk home late at night..

Either way, this is fucking terrifying. It's just sad..

[EDIT] I'm assuming this guy would have killed 14 people with a bat?! Just saying...
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    He had more than a gun though, like someone else said, where the frick did he get tear gas from?? seriously, its much worse than just simple gun control, he could get one anywhere if he's crazy enough to look for it, even the guns he had weren't just regular guns you get at the store or anything

I'm so worried for my friends man, im not anywhere near colorado but just knowing i have friends that had to go through this kills me, i really hope this doesnt traumatize them or anything, people are just so screwed up nowadays so they have to make everyone else feel like them, if anything this country needs more room in asylums and more doctors to help people like this, it's not just guns, it's people using the guns

it all boils down to this "guns dont kill people, people with guns do"
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    fuck.

this has always been "one of those things" i think about in movie theaters, playhouses, etc. you're in an extremely vulnerable position, and its sick that someone actually acted on that.

ugh. Sorry to hear that it hit close to home dpaynter26, scary stuff, glad they're ok and hope for a speedy recovery of their friend.
  • Thomas P.
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomas P. polycounter lvl 14
    sltrOlsson wrote: »

[EDIT] I'm assuming this guy would have killed 14 people with a bat?! Just saying...

Even if he would have only been able to kill one person with a bat, would have that made it less horrible? It's a life taken. What disturbs me about that is that the media would probably not even report that if he had taken 1 or 2 lives with a baseball bat. Blaming everything on guns is just not the proper thing to do here in my opinion but I leave it at that now :) No need to argue over it.

Thomas P.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Hope all you Colorado peeps are ok
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Oh man this is sad as hell. :(

I gotta agree with Olsson just a bit. I understand the cultural and philosophical significance of gun rights in america but one guy doesnt stab or club 50 people. It's not the final word on the debate, but this should stand up as a major piece of evidence in favor of significantly tighter gun control in america -- this is the kind of thing that really is unique to gun proliferation. Controlling weapons truly does have an impact, even thought you can never stop them 100% -- You don't see too many public bombings in america, even though they're technically feasible.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    For everyone here that prays, please help me pray for all those people
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I think, at this point, I would prefer he had remained nameless. Obviously, the media has already spread his name around, but I would prefer these guys never get the fame that they are seeking. The thing I'd like to understand, is his motive. There is never a motive to justify this, but knowing the motive, helps understand what may have caused this, and help prevent it in the future. But when you gun up a public place like this, typically it's to get attention.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man this is sad as hell. :(

I gotta agree with Olsson just a bit. I understand the cultural and philosophical significance of gun rights in america but one guy doesnt stab or club 50 people.

No, but a pipe bomb can.
    Controlling weapons truly does have an impact, even thought you can never stop them 100% -- You don't see too many public bombings in america, even though they're technically feasible.

Really? Does the unibomber ring a bell? How about Timothy Mcveigh? Guns are used, because they are more convenient to get access to. If you make it harder, they will just use something else.

People need to keep the gun control issues completely separate, yet I fear this will become bigger news than the actual shootings.
  • 3DLee
    The thing is, firearms are banned at most theaters in the US (not by law in most cases, just company policy). This man intended to commit mass murder, so a weapons policy was the least of his concerns.

This looks like an attention grabbing stunt by a disturbed man, and not only does it seem to be working it cost many people their lives. :(
  • dpaynter26
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Guns are used, because they are more convenient to get access to. If you make it harder, they will just use something else.

Following that logic, it's silly to think the majority would use something even less convenient such as explosives.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Following that logic, it's silly to think the majority would use something even less convenient such as explosives.

More convenient, as I can pick it up and go shooting. I would bet, this guy had planned this out way in advance, like most of these events. He would have had plenty of time to get an explosive device; hell, probably at the same place he got that tear gas.

I'm not even saying that explosives would necessarily replace guns. Toxic gases are another easy option, or driving a vehicle straight into a crowd of people.

My overall point is, you guys seem to think that strict gun control would somehow end this, and it would not.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    He had trapped his apartment with explosives.......
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Stricter gun control only affects licensed responsible firearm owners. Criminals aren't them.

Very very tragic.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    sltrOlsson wrote: »

If someone wants to create a massacre, they will. Homemade explosives would of worked just as well.

I'm wondering what was wrong with the shooter, mental issues, social disorders, bullied... It's odd he didn't kill himself, or do suicide by cops.
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Fucking sad to see this thing happening all too often. Psychopaths are gonna do whatever they gotta do, but having the ease of access to firearms only makes it that much easier.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    He came in through an emergency exit.

His plan was immediate.

Gun control only hurts those who are allowed to own and carry.

I agree that this will be a case of a depressed useless guy who did something to make himself famous.

Welcome to America, give us your poor, your wretched , your useless masses....

Now how the hell do I get out of this country?

(That last statement is actually serious)
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    that is so very tragic. my cousin who lives in new york was actually in colorado for the weekend and decided to skip out on seeing the dark knight.. good thing he did too. i hope all those who were injured will be ok.

i agree with 3dLee on this matter (as well as some of you who are on the same page). this guy obviously had the intent to kill people for whatever psychological reasoning that may have made him think it was ok to do so, but restricting guns isnt the answer to that. there are plenty of responsible gun owners out there who are willing to do what is necessary to protect themselves and those around them. in the case of this batman shooting, it wouldve been hard to fight back against that because the guy went in there with the intentions that no one would be able to after setting off the tear gas. but in an example where someone goes in with a gun with the intent to scare and rob, not just shoot up the place.. there are people like this who will respond accordingly

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwE3rjZ039A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwE3rjZ039A[/ame]
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    My overall point is, you guys seem to think that strict gun control would somehow end this, and it would not.

It would certainly limit this, and it doesn't have too much of a downside.

I'm not naive enough to think that making one form of weaponry more difficult to obtain would completely stop violence, but it would contribute to lessening these attacks. Our columbines and unibombers would still exist, but a certain percentage of mass murderers would find their weapon of choice out of their hands.

For every guy who schemes and builds a bomb or whatever, there would be one who just grabs a knife instead because it's closest, and hurts 1/10th of the people.

I'm really not sure what the practical drawback of tighter gun control in america is. Rednecks wont feel like they can overthrow the government anymore? We're a little bit past that stage. It isn't 1777. Nobody has the resources of the government.

Fuse -- it's not like kooks who start shooting sprees are typically in with gun running rings.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17

But it helps.

The United Kingdom has had increasingly strict gun control laws over the past decade, and was also is the nation with the highest incidence of notable terrorist attacks last year (yes, more than Iraq or Afghanistan). The number of deaths was quite low.

Our incidences of shootings have been declining steadily since tightening those laws - and so has the number of deaths. Knife crime and bombings remain at similar levels; they haven't swapped one means for another.

Guns are the single most effective tool when it comes to killing people. They're efficient, reusable, easily concealable, they have a long range, and require minimal training to operate. No other weapon makes these things as easy.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    but in an example where someone goes in with a gun with the intent to scare and rob, not just shoot up the place.. there are people like this who will respond accordingly

Good for the guy who stopped them and all, and I'm glad nobody died, but -- wouldnt you rather lose your wallet than shoot two people? That's not an attack on this dude -- he had no way to know whether they'd try to kill him or the others, and he did the right thing to protect everyone... But I know I would rather get robbed than see anybody hurt.

You guys seem to think there's this black and white line between law-abiding citizens and some kind of super organized black-hearted completely evil criminal underground. It doesn't work like that. We're all people. An arms race between bad guys and bystanders doesn't sound like such a good thing to me.
  • slipsius
    This is horrible. But, we have some polycounters around that area, and seeing as its a midnight showing to a nerd movie, I'd really like all polycounters that are from that area, or know polycounters in that area to let us know they are ok. I know the crunch cast is from that area, right? I dunno how far aurora is from denver, but still. Please check in!
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    im kinda upset that i posted this and it has turned into "you americans need better gun control" thread, this is about something sad that has happened, and i agree with stefan everyone from colorado please check in! I know for sure donovan young is ok because i talked to him after midnight his time, he was in a hangout with us
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    Good for the guy who stopped them and all, and I'm glad nobody died, but -- wouldnt you rather lose your wallet than shoot two people? That's not an attack on this dude -- he had no way to know whether they'd try to kill him or the others, and he did the right thing to protect everyone... But I know I would rather get robbed than see anybody hurt.

thats the thing.. you may not know in a situation like that if they will just take your wallet, or if they'll shoot you. the rule ive learned is to never point a gun at anything unless you intend to pull the trigger.. while others may use it just to scare you, people should think that rule applies in all situations.. so if someone pulls a gun on you, you need to figure that they do intend to shoot you, because you wont know until its too late otherwise
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Really sad, and the bigger issue is how to spot people like this before they become violent. What drives a person to do such a thing. were they complete strangers, did he have something against someone at the showing, at the theater, against batman?

Guns kill, yes. But if you look at how many guns are owned in the US, versus how many of them are used to kill others here... more people are killed with cars *like 300k more a year*. But I don't hear any outsiders saying we should ban them. Looking at us census date from 2009 *couldn't find anything more recent on first glance* and guns do account for the most "murders" but knives, blunt weapons, fire, bare hands add up to more than half of the amount of guns.. so people still kill without them. You just don't see the media quick to jump on them like a flashy mass shooting. And guns are less personal. what about all the people killed up close with a knife dying a slow death. I consider that more horrific to know someone might sit in pain bleeding out for 30 minutes than instantly.

Agree with notman, taking away guns isn't going to solve the problem. Because we take them away and we'll hear in the news.. 2 people stabbed and think its a horrific crime. Eventually people will call for a ban on knives and say.. well if we take away knives they only have their fist. Then after that... 1 man beaten by bare fist.. and so on... Look at prisons here.. people are smart and give time and enough determination, they make weapons out of anything. *prisons are a whole different discussion though*

Plus you have to look at all the positive situations where owning a gun has saved many many peoples lives. Yes, there are plenty of people who own guns that shouldn't, and yes educating people on using them can be poor in some states/counties. But just saying we need to ban them is the cheap way of trying to fix a problems issue that's rooted much deeper.

Either way we go with this.. saying to ban guns.. or allow the govt to watch us more closely puts more restrictions on our freedoms. The world isn't perfect and everyone should always have a right to protect their self. I know it sounds silly, but looking at countries that are having civil wars, conflicts against their govt, you take power away from the people and it lets govt know they have a upper hand in times of crisis.

Words can be powerful ways to protect yourself, but when that fails...what else do you have?

Its also wonderful when you have people who come from a country with 300 million less people than the united states trying to say how we should do things here. They don't have to deal with the level of diversity, and social issues complicated by religion, person opinion and tons of other issues that create a boiling pot of frustration.

Seems like we'll always have this argument with people from other countries since its easy to nitpick when you're not in the trenches. Prohibition didn't do jack back in the day. Taking away guns won't either. Taking away Justin Beiber would be nice though.

</endguncontroltalkinamericaonpolycountthreads>
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yeah, gun control will always be a cultural misunderstanding between (most) Europeans and (most) Americans.

Hope no one here is affected.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I recall being slightly paranoid watching The Dark Knight. I don't think movies and games cause violence or anything, it's just when I'm watching something about a psychopath, it makes me start to wonder how many psychopaths there are out there that are capable of doing just this.
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Man polycount can be so weird sometimes, I know it's just to keep arguments down, but we get so many threads where:

thread is about problem X, which is almost always related to the unsolvable Y
    BUT please don't talk about Y because of flames
    Which then means we'll never have a reasonable approach to solving problem X
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    i dont know much about gun control,

but why hoping someone to bring gun and stop the guy
    not everyone want to bring gun or even smallest blade everywhere or see someone bring it in public.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Noors wrote: »
    Yeah, gun control will always be a cultural misunderstanding between (most) Europeans and (most) Americans.

Like social healthcare you mean?

That mythical beast.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    eld wrote: »

That mythical beast.

Yeah, exactly. We just don't get it.
    "it's my right to have 3 jobs to pay my son's treatment. I don't want it to be free. Don't touch ma freedom !"

Americans are affraid by everything with social in it.
    They should have called it the "freedom healthcare"
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Cause forcing people to buy insurance, that's some social-freedom-liberty right? When I think of socialism, I think of making people buy shit they don't want... How did we got on the "socialized" healthcare topic here?

Anyway, there's more info about this guy now.

Apparently he dropped out of medschool recently, and had a degree in neuroscience before. Looks like he was on his way to becoming a doc. Kinda boggles the mind.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Well we were talking about misunderstandings between European and American culture. But obviously, we can't discuss here.
  • Mark Dygert
    eld wrote: »

That mythical beast.
    Well no... nearly every person in America will fight for social security, medicare and they will strongly defend life long health benefits for veterans, all socialized programs.

And there are corporate interests looking to privatize those socialized programs so they can make money off them like they currently do with the private healthcare sector, which because of their greed is bloated, ineffective and dragging the economy down. Sounds like a sweet deal if you aren't the people paying into and using those programs...

Getting back to gun control, I don't think guns are to blame, people are. Fix the people and you don't have to worry about the guns. The problem is we SUCK at fixing broken people and with the social safety net being set on fire (as mentioned above) we are getting worse at fixing broken people. If you love guns being tucked under every pillow and in every glovebox with no one ever having to use them, then the first step is to make sure we can fix broken people.

Fix the people first, then you can flood the streets with guns and there won't be any problems. So while I believe that every level headed person who wants to own a gun (responsibly) should have access to one, you have to have a functioning society and everyone scared shitless hiding in their closest with their finger on the trigger isn't the way to get there. They just get tired of being scared and charge out of their closet guns blazing...
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    leaving the whole gun control issue aside. there should be further studies to try to identify these unstable persons. Clearly they are a product of certain cultural aspects. I'm from Mexico and we don't get those random gun killing spree. We get other kind of killings.

So what elements of the American culture are creating these type of crimes? What kind of people are susceptible of committing those kinds of crimes, etc. I believe that is where more attention and money should be spent.

Going back to the gun control just wanted to say that a stricter gun control policy would help reduce the killings we have in Mexico. There is evidence that a considerable amount of guns that drug cartels acquire come from the US. We live in a very interconnected world now, so no country it's on it's own. The consequences of the gun control issue are being suffered by Mexico as of this moment.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    The only thing I really wish in these situations is that the media would not release the photo or name of the shooter. In the age of information we live in, that will never work out, but already they have his smug face plastered all over the news and his story is going to dominate the media for the next few days/weeks.

This whole event is a huge tragedy and while we will publicly damn him, plastering his name, photo, life story, hobbies, etc. it is just going to glorify him to any sick individual that may latch onto his views.
  • nick2730
    stricter gun control laws are essential, you just have to create some that actually work. Maybe mental evaluations of people trying to buy firearms especially higher class weapons. If its more of a hassle to buy guns at the cost of saved lives its well worth it. Guns are SOOOOOO easy for anyone to obtain, im for having a firearm but lets at least make the process legit in getting one.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Great, there goes my day... I honestly never feel safe going anywhere anymore... people are nuts, and its scary, at my theater recently someone got stabbed for telling them to be quiet... I really feel for those that passed away, were wounded, and survived.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    David-J wrote: »
    Going back to the gun control just wanted to say that a stricter gun control policy would help reduce the killings we have in Mexico.

What will fix this beyond anything else is the US fixing its drug-war policy and legalize drugs already. I doubt there would be any more killings in Mexico over this shit if it wasn't illegal. Gun control is really the least of your concern. Especially in a place like Mexico, where anyone could get any gun at any time.

You have countries like Russia, Pakistan and China making a fuckton of guns. Now, I was always a good boy, and never got involved in my country's shady business, but I'm telling you right now that no matter what law you put in place in the US, I can get you any kind of gun you want, cheap.

So to me the whole gun control thing is moot. Anyone that thinks you can stop guns from existing, has never left the US/Eurozone. If you grow up in other parts of the world, you'll quickly see that there's no stopping guns any more so than you can stop car deaths by banning cars (not that I'm comparing the two, I'm just saying you can't stop technology).

Even if you made any kind of gun absolutely illegal with a life-sentence in prison, I could still get you any kind of gun you wanted. How will you stop it? Will you go to war with Russia, Pakistan and China? With what? You don't have any guns...
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    David-J wrote: »
    So what elements of the American culture are creating these type of crimes? What kind of people are susceptible of committing those kinds of crimes, etc. I believe that is where more attention and money should be spent.

This goes to almost exactly what I am complaining about. I can't speak to the cultures or education of other countries, but here in America, everyone is told that they are a precious little snow flake at a young age. You can be anything you want. And the fact is, sometimes life doesn't work out that way. And for some people all they want in life is a little bit of recognition. Something that harkens back to when they grew up and were told that they could be a doctor. Or an astronaut. Or a famous actor or musician.

And sometimes you just don't make it. You're not going to get into space, or be in a blockbuster movie, but you can still be famous on the five o clock news.

This whole situation makes me sick. I don't know anyone from that area, but my heart goes out to all the families that are lessened because of these events. It's just incredibly stupid senseless violence.

The one thing that surprised me more than anything else is that the cops captured this guy alive.
This discussion has been closed.