Home Unreal Engine

UDK vs. UE3

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey,
So I have finally decided to make an Environment art demoreel for school. And I am deciding where to get it rendered. I've used UE3 for a short while, so I know my way around it. But everything about UDK seems absolutely awesome. I would definitely prefer to render in UDK rather than in Max thanks to lightmass, right?

But which of the two would be best for an aspiring environment artist? UDK or UE3? Or, since my idea is going to be an exterior scene, would the Crysis editor be worth a shot?

Thanks!

Replies

• DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Well from a technology standpoint, UDK and UE3 are the same thing (I'm sure Epic has added a few neato things to THEIR 'copy' of the engine that isn't in the UDK but that's beside the point).

You bring up Max rendering, I wouldn't use max renders for anything except showing high poly work (I usually show a high poly max render, and a realtime render when I show my models). But yes, use UDK to show you're final shots. Max renders aren't as good as UDK shots :)

I never used the Crysis engine so I can't say anything about it, but it sure does look nice :)
  • LlamaJuice
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    The UDK is the UT3 engine just updated :P

You can take your UT3 scenes into the UDK and revamp them if you wanna, that's what I'm doing with my demo reel that I'm putting together, I had a few UT3 scenes and I had them pretty much done when I took them from UT3 to UDK to do a few final tweaks with the lighting and such to make the scene look better, because in the end that's what matters for a demo reel... is that it looks good.

Long story short, if you know your way around UT3 then you'll know your way around the UDK after about fourteen seconds (they redesigned the generic browser a bit)
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    LlamaJuice wrote: »
    (they redesigned the generic browser a bit)

They made it 100x better :)
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Excellent. Thanks alot guys!
  • Skurcey
    i rode somewhere that the light is better in UDK
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    LlamaJuice wrote: »
    Long story short, if you know your way around UT3 then you'll know your way around the UDK after about fourteen seconds (they redesigned the generic browser a bit)
    and moved everything around needlessly.
    bye bye PTFS buttons, see you later, fall off and radius, all hidden in new sub menus

But yeah apart from that sort of thing it's much the same thing