Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - The Temple of Utu - MartinH & Minos

Replies

• MartinH
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    So happy we got this finished in time. Had a blast working on this and learned a ton!
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    COngratz guys! Is looking really nice!
  • brandv3d
    Offline / Send Message
    brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome work! You guys did a beautiful job. This one's my favorite. Good luck. Also Martin and Thiago I like your portfolios. Keep up the great work.
  • TheJamsh
    Amazing. You guys should consider putting this on the UE4 marketplace, not only would people more than likely pay good money for it, but it'd be a good bunch of assets for people to learn from too, which is what it's all about.
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    This is sooo beautiful, it even stirs up emotions in me for some reason.
    I thought the last iteration was really solid, yet you managed to push it so much further.
    Really good job, guys!
    Martin mentions he learned a ton. If you at any point feel like sharing some details on what it is you learned, I am sure that not only I, but also many others would really appreciate it :)
    Again, big big thumbs up from me!
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great, you did an awesome job with the lighting!
  • fabiomsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    fabiomsilva polycounter lvl 8
    meu deus! Que bom!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its one of the best looking enviroments i have ever seen

congrats
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks so much for the nice words guys, it really means a lot to us!

We are very happy to hear things like "I want to walk around this place" and that it stirs up emotions in you. Our ultimate goal with this was to make something believable and inviting that people would look forward to checking out ingame and have a full experience when doing so.

I'm looking forward a lot to start working on that VR version as I spoke before. I really want to add more motion (like having the banners flapping in the wind) and also do a sound pass. Doing sound work is something that I always wanted to do in an environment and never got around to it.

Anyways, I'm going to take some extra screenshots tonight to show all the other cool stuff that's not visible in the main screens, so stay tuned!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This turned out amazing! Congrats.
  • JamieRIOT
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Stunning work.
  • R00
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Inspiring work fellas! You certainly have my vote :)
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    There are very few times as a game developer that I've seen something on this site that I found truly "breath taking". This environment is certainly one of those times. Can't wait for the vr and sound updates!

Great job guys!
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks again for all the cool words everyone :)

Here's a flythrough of the level:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGi1LON-fRw[/ame]

This looks so much better in motion, you can't really realize the scale with screenshots only!
  • WarrenM
    God, so good ...

My only quibble might be the flags are obviously jiggling on a sine wave. I know this scene wasn't mean to be animated so probably wasn't worth spending TOO much time on wind effects.

Nice work!
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks man!

I tried to implement that cloth stuff but it was driving me insane... so I just went with a simple vertex animation haha
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Sigh....... wow.....!
    Thanks for uploading this video.
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks Spoon :)

We wrote an article about the making of this environment, some gems in there, check it out :)

http://80.lv/articles/blizzard-designers-on-good-level-design/
  • KennyW
    Offline / Send Message
    KennyW polycounter lvl 8
    Stunning work & cheers for the link, enjoyed reading the article..
  • Gooner442
    Offline / Send Message
    Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
    great work, love the mood you created.

Just wanted to ask about the time you put into this and how you worked it around your job? - whenever I see impressive work like this and I see the guys/gals have jobs which I presume are full-time I wonder how they managed to fit it in. I work as a 3D Artist but I am knackered when I get home!.. I have so many thoughts of environments to make but don't have the desire to sit in-front of my computer for a whole weekend and evenings doing it - I also have a 3 year old daughter which possibly makes my situation different to yours
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks Gooner/Whipper_Snapper!

Gooner: Yeah I hear you, it's tough to find time to work on personal projects no matter what... I can list a few things that helped me:

- Working with a buddy makes it much easier to get inspired and enables you to split work.

- Sometimes when I knew I was going to have a busy week I'd plan all my tasks ahead using google calendar on my phone. I tried to estimate how much free time I'd have on each night and assign time slots for whatever I had to do. Sometimes getting as little as 30 minutes of work done in a night makes a huge difference!

- The more experience and the more you know the faster you can work. I feel like I can get twice as much done on a good 2 hour session today than I could on a 8 hour long session 2 years ago. Never stop looking for new ways and tools to make stuff faster!

- Try to get "tunnel vision" when working on your stuff. Put on your headphones with music that helps you getting "into the zone", and treat your environment as a real place not just a collection of vertexes.

- This is very personal and I'm sure it might vary wildly from person to person but try to find your own biological rhythm and come up with a routine that maximizes time for every activity you need to do. Don't feel bad when you need to rest, resting is a necessity and not a waste of time. While working on this scene I sort of followed the following "schedule".

Regular Work week: mon - friday
    Days of the week I'd work hard on the scene (2 hour sessions at night): Mon - Wed - Thu
    Saturdays were flexible and I could use them either to work or go out with the wife.
    Days of the week I'd NEVER work on the scene and would instead use my time to rest: Friday - Sunday Nights

Sticking to that really helped me maximize my productivity at home because I could get enough rest and enjoy life while working hard on the most "optimal" days. The best thing about following that routine is that it didn't affect my productivity at work at all either :)

Hope that helps!
  • MartinH
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Gooner,
    Our lives might not be so different than you may think. I have a 15 month old daughter that's a little hurricane. On average i would get home at 7'ish, have dinner with the family, play for a while with my daughter(Elin) and hang out with my wife.

On average, i would start work on the challenge around 9-10 PM and work til 11-12. The key is to stay focused and work smart.

Stay off facebook, Imgur etc. Also, when you finish an asset/texture, it's easy to start noodling on it to get it perfect. This is a mistake. Always have the complete scene in mind when you're working, not the individual asset. Once you have all your models and textures "done" and placed in your scene, you can start zeroing in on the areas that need love.

There's also ways to get around feeling exhausted and drained at the end of the day. Working out 2-3 times a week is great for your energy levels, be it weightlifting or cardio. I prefer to get my work-outs done in the morning before work.

Second, don't be afraid to take a day off from the project and just hang out with your family. It'll recharge you both physically and mentally, and taking your eyes away from your work for a day can really give you a new perspective on your art.

Never go to bed after midnight if you can help it. A good night's sleep is key. Granted, the last 2 weeks of the throne challenge i averaged about 5 hours of sleep a night and that was bad, but it's not the norm.

Lastly, explain to your family how much the project you're working on means to you and get their support. My wife was quite involved in what i was doing and she provided a ton of feedback on the scene which was both fun and helpful.

Hope these rambling help shed some light on where I'm coming from.

-Martin
  • Gooner442
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for your thorough replies

Minos, I find the tunnel vision thing hard to do, I always think of other less taxing things to do with my time off, be it watching a film, playing football etc - creating art in your own time is enjoyable but still requires so much mental energy, I also used to do a lot of oil painting but it requires the same concentration as 3D art

Martin, really impressed you did this with a 15 month year old!.. the support your wife gave you is great, I don't think I'd get that - though my girlfriend has a point in that I am tired even after getting 8 hours!...

I imagine the bottom line is that you have passion for what you are doing, am I right in thinking it didn't feel like a chore?.. that might be the difference if I'm truthful to myself

Well done again, it was well worth your efforts!
  • WarrenM
    am I right in thinking it didn't feel like a chore?
    I can't speak for Minos, but this is definitely the case for me. I enjoy doing 3D art. It's what I do. So it never feels like a chore unless I'm ... I dunno, optimizing triangle counts 16 hours a day trying to ship a game or something. :)
  • Gooner442
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I can't speak for Minos, but this is definitely the case for me. I enjoy doing 3D art. It's what I do. So it never feels like a chore unless I'm ... I dunno, optimizing triangle counts 16 hours a day trying to ship a game or something. :)

I used to paint a lot, mainly oils and I remember enjoying it and being better than most at it, especially during my studies. I think going out into the big wide world changed things, I needed money and got a regular salary doing something mundane. Years later I then tried to go back to painting but I'd lost my passion for it and the money wasn't regular. I still wanted to do something creative so I compromised and took my art to the computer - I don't think I've ever rediscovered that enjoyment for creation, I think society and all it's demands got the better of me. I still have a job more interesting than most but I do hope one day to enjoy creating something again - maybe when I'm retired and have no pressure to earn a crust ..or maybe the next Polycount challenge :)
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    You only get tunnel vision when you are fully immersed in your work and that's something you have to find in yourself, other people won't be able to teach you :)

If I can recommend a single book that helped me tons professionally and on a personal level it is Mastery by Robert Greene. In that book, he breaks down what masters in various different fields and ages did right, all the challenges they had to go through and how they overcame challenges life threw at them.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Robert-Greene/dp/014312417X"]Mastery: Robert Greene: 9780143124177: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

By the way I recommend getting the audiobook instead, the book itself is more than 800 pages long...
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I will second that. Mastery is one of the best audiobooks I have listened to, ever. I think I should actually go through it one more time :)
  • Gooner442
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Minos, I will check it out!
  • filthy_sandwich
    Just wanted to say that this discussion has all been very inspiring. Thanks guys

I'm getting that audiobook as I write this :)
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    Love the scene!
    I was wondering if you could post a breakdown or just a wireframe of how you tackled the floor details?