Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyberpunk: Android production

Hi everyone. Been working on a new piece this weekend for a book I'm currently writing.

Part of the story involves Androids ready available to the super rich as a way of uploading their consciousness into the androids for longer life and various upgrades. I wanted to show one being built but almost at completion..

I used a 3d base that I made in maya and then painted over in photoshop. Thought I'd share some process shots in case anyone was interested.

sy00u1.jpg

sgu2gz.jpg

30k6f10.jpg

Replies

• Gail_Blitzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8
    Most interesting with a nice result!

Can I ask which bits are 3D and which bits you've painted in?
  • siris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Gail, thank you for your interest. If you look at the top image, that was my 3D base exactly how I took it into photoshop, no more 3D was added after the top image :)
  • Operator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a big fan of cyberpunk, and this is a very effective, Ghost in the Shell-like piece that sets a great mood.

What irks me a bit, is the hands of the Android though. With so much attention put into masking the 3D base of the image, the clammy, clearly modeled hands with little natural jest pull out of the setting of the piece. And hands are really important, they're - except the face - are the most expressive parts of our body.

So, I'd suggest you put a little bit more into that, and it'd be up to snuff.
  • siris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Operator, (i love how your name suits the cyberpunk theme of this post!)

Thank you for your advice, I see what you mean. I guess I neglected the hands as I was trying to keep them simple and android like. I'll add in some cut lines and reposition them.

Thanks again