Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Swedish Mauser bayonet WIP

Bummer6
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
So I recently decided to model a bayonet my father gave to me a long time ago as a gift. Not much to say really other than that I'm very much a beginner when it comes to hard surface modelling and any help would be greatly appreciated.

knife_00.jpg
knife_01.jpg
knife_02.jpg
Here's a reference I used mainly for proportions.

M1896-Swedish-Bayonet-Comparison.jpg

I plan to make the sheath for the bayonet/knife as well, but I thought I'd post some WIP pictures before I go to bed tonight. After having modelled the knife up to this point, I have to say the blade was by far the most challenging (surprisingly). It was a big mess, but I think it turned out decent in the end.

again, any constructive criticism and/or comments are of course welcome.

Replies

• The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Post wires next time to get a better critique! You might want to soften up some of your edges so that when they bake you get a nice soft edge that can be viewed from a distance (a bayonet is pretty small, like 6 times shorter than the rifle it could be attached to right?) Try zooming your viewport out to visualise how big it might be viewed on-screen in a game (if you are planning to make it game-ready. Regardless, it's good practice)

Having said that, you also might want to tighten up that middle crease at the tip of the blade as it looks too faint, as well as find a way to tighten up the diagonal hard edges at the base of the blade
    Good start
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post wires next time to get a better critique! You might want to soften up some of your edges so that when they bake you get a nice soft edge that can be viewed from a distance (a bayonet is pretty small, like 6 times shorter than the rifle it could be attached to right?) Try zooming your viewport out to visualise how big it might be viewed on-screen in a game (if you are planning to make it game-ready. Regardless, it's good practice)

Having said that, you also might want to tighten up that middle crease at the tip of the blade as it looks too faint, as well as find a way to tighten up the diagonal hard edges at the base of the blade
    Good start

I'll deffinately try to soften some of the edges and I'll post wires tomorrow.
    As for the crease at the tip of the blade I have to disagree. Looking at the bayonet in real life, feeling that crease with my own hands, it's very faint and not pronounced at all, so that's one part I'm fairly certain I got right.

EDIT: I'll actually go ahead and take some pictures of my own knife and post those as well tomorrow. Maybe there's some slight variations between my knife and the reference.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Bummer6 wrote: »
    I'll deffinately try to soften some of the edges and I'll post wires tomorrow.
    As for the crease at the tip of the blade I have to disagree. Looking at the bayonet in real life, feeling that crease with my own hands, it's very faint and not pronounced at all, so that's one part I'm fairly certain I got right.

Ah, fair enough then, I was going by the ref
    It's one thing to have pictures but another to have the actual thing to hand haha
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As promised, here's some pictures with wireframes. Never modeller a blade before (as I'm sure you can tell by the topology) so it's a bit of a mess. Atleast it looks decent and doesn't have any major shading errors.
    wireframe_00.jpg
    wireframe_01.jpg
    wireframe_02.jpg

And here are some pictures of the knife I've been fondling vigorously for reference.

IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished the scabbard or whatever it's called... I'm not great with weapon terminology. Only part I had serious problems with was the slot where the blade is supposed to slide in. I forgot to screenshot the wires from that bit though, but yeah... I should also point out that I know the edges around the slot are very hard at the moment, although I'm not entirely sure if it's worth fixing considering it's in an area which wont be seen a lot. Either way, here's some pictures.

EDIT: Just realized I'm missing a few details on the scabbard still. Probably wont take more than another hour to completely finish though.
    Oh, and before I forget, I should probably mention that I plan to make the pattern on the handle and stud with a heightmap instead of modelling it.

scabbard.jpg
    scabbard_01.jpg
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update! Everything is baked and ready for texturing now. I'm pretty happy with how it's looking so far.
    EDIT: I noticed there are still a few very minor details I need to add before I start texturing.
    lowpolyknife_00.jpg
    lowpolyknife_01.jpg
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cranked up the intensity on the grip pattern and decided to try rendering it in Marmoset Toolbag 2 cause I never tried that before. It certainly looks a lot more sexy than it did in the viewport!

EDIT: accidentally deleted the picture.
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baking ambient maps and stuff. Going to see if the magic of Quixel can help out with texturing. For me, texturing is always the most difficult part, but we'll see how it goes. I'll probably just use Quixel to get some sort of base and then take it from there.
    knife_ambient.jpg
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first try at texturing the damn thing. Not happy with it, but it's a first step atleast.
    I basically just used the ambient map as a base and hand painted the albedo/spec/gloss.
    screenshot002.png
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, now it's starting to look like something. I'm fairly pleased with the way it turned out. I might add more scratches and adjust some values, but I think I'm pretty much done with the knife. On to the scabbard!
    kniferender.png
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Hey, I have one of those at home :)
    on mine there is a button on one sides of the handle, that kind of works like an umbrella hinge, it keeps the scabbard in place, when you push it down you can detach the scabbard. dont know if that on all of them though.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    can you post texture sheets? I would be interested in how you made the metal textures
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just realized I really don't like the scratches on the blade... I'll probably end up either removing them entirely or atleast removing most of it.
    lotet wrote: »
    Hey, I have one of those at home :)
    on mine there is a button on one sides of the handle, that kind of works like an umbrella hinge, it keeps the scabbard in place, when you push it down you can detach the scabbard. dont know if that on all of them though.

That part is detachable I think.
    Is this the part you mean?
    $(KGrHqJHJEYE88dN!6rSBPSoenkHew~~60_35.JPG
    Doxturtle wrote: »
    can you post texture sheets? I would be interested in how you made the metal textures

Here are the texture sheets. I'm currently using the same map for spec and gloss, but obviously that's only temporary. I'll make a more refined gloss map later.

diffuse
    albedo.jpg
    spec/gloss
    spec.jpg
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some slight modifications and rendered it again. I'm moving on to the scabbard now.

screenshot000.png
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    That part is detachable I think.
    Is this the part you mean?

ish...on mine its an actual button. looks like this. square thing on the handle.
    1hQrWso.jpg
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, that's a different bayonet. The guard is sort of the same style, but I don't recognize it... It's no mauser bayonet that I've ever seen myself. Do you know what rifle it was made for?
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Oh, that's a different bayonet. The guard is sort of the same style, but I don't recognize it... It's no mauser bayonet that I've ever seen myself. Do you know what rifle it was made for?
    Not really, its very similar to yours though, the handle is slightly different but other then that its looks pretty much the same, I can take some picture of the whole thing tomorrow and maybe you can figure it out, because I have no idea. =P
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Ok, google is telling me its a M94 Mauser bayonet 1914/1913.
    s2.jpg
    these are the differnet sizes, mine is the medium one, you are making the small one :)
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right! Mine is an m96.
    Anyway, Here's my first pass at texturing the scabbard. Gonna keep fiddling with it. Again, any crits or advice are welcome.
    screenshot001.png
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looking good so far! are you gonna make the Mauser too btw?
    Im not sure if its the lighting, But I think both the scabbard and the hilt could be a bit darker.
    I also think you should ad another vert or two at the scabbard knob, it looks a tad more lowpoly then everything else.
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet wrote: »
    Looking good so far! are you gonna make the Mauser too btw?
    Im not sure if its the lighting, But I think both the scabbard and the hilt could be a bit darker.
    I also think you should ad another vert or two at the scabbard knob, it looks a tad more lowpoly then everything else.

I wont make the rifle too because it's honestly not that visually appealing to me.
    I took your advice and made both the scabbard and the hilt a little bit darker (even though it might look the other way around thanks to the lighting).
    I'm pretty much calling it done for now. I may come back to it later, but I have another project lined up that I want to get started with.
    knifeandscabbard.png
    kniferender000.png
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the final renders! It's been a fun little project, and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I'm still very much open to any feedback you guys might have for future reference. :)
    knife_presentation_00.png
    knife_presentation_01.png
    knife_presentation_02.png
    knife_presentation_03.png