Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Knight's Tourney

This is a personal project. I'm trying to push myself and push the level of polish I can achieve with my work. C&C VERY welcome. Please, come hit me with your best shot :)

Maiden symbol is pretty much complete, still open for improvements though:
qfsAP62.jpg

Next is the Squire symbol, he's still a WIP. Border is very much unfinished.
WTYjwqq.jpg

Thank you for your time :)

Replies

• Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Hey there Alexis, this is a big improvement from what I recall of the last time I saw your work. It's nice to see you're still painting.

It's difficult to give detailed crits on the images without knowing what they're going to be used for. The main thing that stands out to me is the lack of clear lighting. They're generally lit, and the way you've worked them (looks like with separate layers for various things - like the markings/ribbons on the headdress, etc) adds to the more copy/paste feeling of them, as opposed to it looking more cohesively painted. I can understand working that way to a degree, especially if you're used to your images being animated (which may be the case), but without more thought being given to lighting the layers really stand out to me and prevent them from being viewed as a strong, singular image. The squire seems to suffer more from this problem.

I think establishing a more evident lightsource and adding some extra shadows will help really push the volume and readability of these pieces.

I did a quick paintover of the maiden to illustrate what I think might help:

alexisbogue_maiden_po.jpg

If you take the two images and scale them down to a smaller version, I think might see the more clearly lit version has a better read and the shapes are easier to see.

That advice is largely from the standpoint of just viewing the images as static images, paintings. If they're meant to be animated, or if the more layered, somewhat cartoony look is what you're going for, then it may not apply as much.

As an aside, I also think you could raise the maiden's left shoulder (her left) a bit, as it currently makes her neck look really long if you focus on it.
  • Tigerfeet
    Hey thanks Aaron. There's a LOT more layers on the squire. Not saying that as an excuse, more to point out that you're spot on.

It's a tricky project because they COULD be animated, but I'm not sure they will be. It's basically spec slot machine art, so I'm sure you know the type. I'll definitely look into more unified lighting and shadows to try and make everything look more unified.