Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Archviz Imagery critique.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Hello all,

I need critique for this archviz imagery I am working on. I still feel something looks off. I know this is a forums for games but I am sure there are people here who have a lot of experience when it comes to photorealism. I have noticed on most of these archviz forums, that there isn't much activity in the Work in progress section.

resort-apartment1resort-apartment1

Replies

• Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    Hi melviso,
    I don't know if you can change a lot of stuff but here is what I found a little bit weird :

Does the elements in the back are portals? If so there shapes and structures seems awkwards and they are creating a lot of noise in the back of your house.

I don't really understand the diagonnal stone wall on the left of your image and how it's linked with the rest.

What is the purpose of this building, is it a private lounge or a complete house? It shape feels really simple, you could try to beak it with house appendices or stuff on the roof. Idon't really get it4s purpose.

the tree is a good idea but move it on the right to bring back more depth, in reality everything overlapped everything, especially vegetation :) .

Did you have some reference for your stuff ?

Hope it's help.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    I was primarily going for the look and feel of D. I also tried to get the modeling of the grass right using C but as the project evolved, I decided to go for a more fluffy grass.

The trees behind the house is a background pic, adjusted to fit the render. I used A as reference to try and get the trees appear as if they are in the background.

The building is part of an apartment block in a resort centre and there ia a bar at the back of the fence. The diagonal wall is further front than the other two stone walls covering a open way with steps leading down to the bar floor. I decided to go with the diagonal shape to break the repetition of the stone walls.

I placed the tree on the far right off camera to create the impression that the photographer had to work what is on ground. Also didn't want to make it centralized. I felt if I placed the tree in full view it will look more 3d, conveniently placed.

You are right the design looks too simple but what it lacks structurally, I tried to make up for material wise. I will look into making some adjustments structurally.Thanks for the critique,mate.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    the lighting is very overblown killing all the detail, id tone that down a bit
    your composition is just not nice, which is the main problem
    Why is the house just cut off at the right ? Think a bit how you want to take this picture
    Leave it some space. Your image format is also very strange, use 16:9
    The hill with the tree on it also feels very unnatural, I doubt you would have such hills in your garden , it all feels a little odd.
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    IMO,
    the light intensity is too high and your background is almost white
    the walls textures are too noisy

I need to see a larger image to give you more critics! could you please post a larger image?
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, made major readjustments to the scene and re-rendered.

Don't know why it is diaplaying as 2000 px. Original is 950px by 537.
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    OK,

Where are all the shadows? If you are going for a cloudy day, your light intensity is still to high! and if not, you should probably use a directional light to get some hard shadows.

I still think the wall texture is too distracting, you should probably change it or if possible move the wall away from the house, a little! or change the house wall texture. currently they are too close to each other.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright.Thanks. Working on it.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi amirabd2130, I moved the wall away from the house a little and added shadows.
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    judging by tree shadow, your directional light has a low angle, and if so, the environment shouldn't be that bright!

could you post screen grab so we can see your lighting setup?
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mate, I was using a HDRI and a sun at the same time. Should have aligned them properly. Decided to use a physical sun and sky.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to go back to the way it was before. Also added interior lights and edit the hdr to get soft overcast shadows.
  • Papigiulio
    Offline / Send Message
    Papigiulio polycounter lvl 5
    Huh? You said you moved the wall away from the house but imo it hasnt changed.
    Also your reference images on which your work is based on don't make sense, as its mostly green and your picture has a lot of concrete, stones.

The wall is killing your comp. Either move it all the way back or delete it completely is what I would suggest.

Change the camera angle, make it more interesting.

Also what does your light set up look like, it looks very unnatural and blue and noisy.

And last but not least, please remove the blurry tree background. Hope that helps a little
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    It looks like you are doing some post processing on the scene- Try dialing that out while you evaluate lighting. Also, you have a long fov and most of your elements are positioned on just a few planes. If you want an image like that to read better you need to clean out visual noise and do a better job differentiating them tonally. Right now the stone wall, brick facade, patio, and trees read as one flat element.
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    well, as I said before and other said as well,
    your back wall still to distracting and noisy! also, it almost looks flat which can be fixed by lighting. if you really wand to keep the wall, move it away from house or change the texture.

you could also add some objects to foreground to make it more interesting. probably rearrange the trees, add some flowers, bushes, rocks, ...
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. Shifted the wall back and placed a material overide to evaluate lighting. Am using a HDR image to light the scene.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not sure what your AA settings are or what resolution your texture maps are but everything looks blurry. Are you adding DOF? What render-er are you using?
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Jetpilot, I am using Corona renderer.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Redid it. Moved the wall off the building.

On second thought, I think the blurring is from imgur.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message