Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

having a problem with this Well

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
pmiller001 greentooth
Hey everyone.
I"m trying to bump up my prop skills. So I decided to stat simple with a water well.
But as you can see I"m having a slight problem. Thoughts?

(Edit, This is where i'm at now. )
screen02.png

ONeuOUS.jpg

Also, if there's something else looking of, please go ahead mention how i can improve.

Replies

• C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Do you mean the top stones not matching with the "side ones" or the small bright line?
    The line could be a padding problem. Show us the UVs with textures and I´m sure we can help : )
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    BgBNKdm.jpg

Yarrr thar be my UVS.
    and yes, to both of those questions C86G. SOrry for not being clear in the first place. I want to know a way of not making those rocks look so squished, as well as that stinkin light line. :O
  • Loutrattitude
    Offline / Send Message
    Loutrattitude polycounter lvl 6
    Do not stop your stones exactly at your UV limit, expand them. You might as well research what's "padding" in unwraping is :)
  • 3dReaper
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Take full advantage of the uv space you have.

The rectangular uv hulls/islands could be much larger. The top rim of the well should be sewn together to prevent an ugly seam that would be visible if the player/viewer were to peer into the well. So one circular uv piece.

Considering the only texture used is the rock texture the entire space could be that texture rather than clipped sections.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    j0yhsSW.jpg

DWHtWT7.jpg

How does this look? PS, there's another problem i'm seeing. I i'm just having some seem issues. I was going to take it into zbrush and paint over in there.

What do y'all think?
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Take the texture to Photoshop, go to filters -> others -> offset -> set the horizontal offset to half the pixel width of your texture and then fix the seem within Photoshop. once you'r finished you can use the filter again to get the texture back in the same position as it was, but your seem is gone.

If that is the problem. If your texture is already tileable just make sure that the uvs are placed correctly at the boarder of the texture (snap it there). Its hard to say because your image is rather small.
  • pmiller001
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    ok biomag, i'll get on that.

@loutrattitude- I looked up padding. The answer I got was extending your image over the limits of the uvs.

3Dreaper- What do you think about putting the uvs like i did? i just put them across the whole 0,1 space.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I've got to go to work, but a small update:
    BIomage what you suggested is working wonders. I'm not sure why I didnt think of it. BUt thats why all of you people are the brains of the operation. Thanks! i'll post later!
  • Pedro Amorim
    I can't really start to fathom how someone with this stuff in his folio - http://paulmillerjr.carbonmade.com/projects/4598916 - is having issues with a simple cylindrical uv map and seam isse.
  • 3dReaper
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, that is better for one object using one texture. I would advise making sure you relax and/or unfold your uvs. There seems to be a tad bit of stretching in areas.

Actually, before applying the end texture to your material in maya I would assign a checker texture to see the stretch areas more blatantly. You could use the checker that's in maya just bump the repeat up or use this:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/w/images/7/73/Uvrefmap_checkeredmap.jpg

What is the texture size? Looks rather small, perhaps less than 512? Tile that up to 1024.

Tile tut: (Should be a good one, not 100% sure)
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbtybwo3XZc[/ame]
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    9E28ToL.jpg

rSAKG8Q.jpg

So i'm pretty sure i fixed the seem.

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions on what to try.
    I couldnt find it when i looked for it, but theres a slight discrepancy. I noted it in the first image. Otherwise, on to the stretching that 3Dreaper was mentioning.

PS-Pedro Thanks for the kind words. XD
  • 3dReaper
    Offline / Send Message
    The seam, or lack thereof, looks much better.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    UOVJrg0.jpg

dZku74x.jpg

I dont like that shadow, YOu guys know why thats happening?

I think this is going places. I dont know what to add next though. I was a bucket, some rope, a cobblestone textuer for a road, and a some grass.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    QMpZdfN.jpg

Added some more wood. I thought that would be a nice change.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    What is your reference and quality bar you are trying to hit? Do you have a blockout of the entire well yet? What you have right now is not even close to what you would be expected to create for PS4/X1 games. If you are trying to bump up your skills then you have to get closer to recreating your reference, and creating assets that are of the quality of what you see in PS4/X1 games.

For example:
    Water_well_in_garden_of_Cambremer_%28France%29.JPG
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Hey Bardler!
    for this Well, My goal was to simply see if I could. I've never tried it before (modeling a well). I wanted to get through it quickly to get any questions i might've had out of the way. I did block it out, but I didnt use it for this exercise, since I was quickly trying to pump something out. Now that I have a better idea of what to do. I"m going to try it again, and this tiem match up with the reference that I had, which was this. Feelin Pretty good. So I'm Really looking forward to it this time

stock__brick_well_by_stock_by_crystal-d3hsqeq.jpg
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    MjTf1gI.gif

So I went ahead and blocked it out. As i'm looking at it here There ssome parts that could be changed up.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    your shadows look like that because you have your sun angle at like 15 degrees.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    sBz96Ee.jpg

u6DaN9b.jpg

I was getting kind of depressed about this. But as I kept pushing a long the result seemed a lot better. I want to put a tiling texture on this, but someone suggested to me otherwise.

First things first though, I think the model is in a good place to start unwrapping, but what do you all think?
  • sushi
    Your model is more detailed. I can see some smoothing errors on the edge faces of the shingles and possibly the top of the brick as well.

If this is meant to be a current-gen portfolio asset it should have a high poly sculpt with baked normals or at least sculpted tiling textures and some vertex painting, the cgtextures.com maps alone don't really cut it anymore.

Looking forward to your progress.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Oh boy I was afraid of that! Atleast that'll get me back in Zbrush though!. I'd been using the CGtextures site.
    What about using those textures with the spotlight tool, think i can still do that?
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    That is looking a lot better already, the proportions look a lot better, it looks much more like an actual well. I think one of your problems in your last model was the proportions of the textures, some of the details looked too small.

I think you should probably make a normal map and a base for your textures in Zbrush or mudbox, so your well looks more varied.
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    First things first: Keep in mind I'm still a junior artist myself, so take all that I write with a grain of salt.

This new model is far better than the first, but still let's get back to the beginning?

What I miss (and that's extremely common when talking with beginners) - what is the purpose of the model?
    Is it going to be a portfolio piece or part of a scene? Is it for a game? What kind of game? How is it going to be used in the game?
    All of this determines the requirements to the model itself.

Let's assume you want to make it a portfolio piece of its own or part of a high quality scene, where it is actually going to be seen up close and from every angle.

Everything you create should have somewhat of your mark. Not meaning it should have your nametag on it or anything like that, but it should have something that sets you appart from all other artist applying for a job - and a simple cgtexture is not going to cut it. Everyone can get one and strap it on a 3D model. CG-textures are great when you have to be quick and it doesn't need that much detail or doesn't get that much attention in the scene, but even then you should 'upgrade' it. You can add moss to the stone or other decals to show wear & tear and so on. You have to make it less obivous that it is just a free texture from a internet site. Add details not the well and make it tell a story, make it special and not just a generic model. This doesn't need to be extreme, but if it isn't part of a scene and there are no limitating requirements in terms of polycount & texture size, what is preventing you from adding things to make it even more interesting? Just see how much better your roof looks now compared to the first version.

Even better would be if you create your own sculpt to bake the additional maps that high quality textures need this days. Enviorment artist do so much more than a simple model with a photo texture applyed to it. Understand what is part of their work and why they do it - it might need a model that is build completely differently than your planed approach. Have you thought of making it part of a modular set? Will you use special shaders?

It might be a little early in your personal development process, but from your stuff I think you already tried the basics of modeling & texturing, now you might rather start finding out in what direction you want to go as an artist. Based on that study what that specialization requires and what they focus upon. Textureing, modelling, sculpting & baking are basics that you need in every disciplin and they need a lot of practice. But you can start adding more complex workflows to get a little bit more of the big picture and understand why things are done in a certain way.

Just learning/practicing the basics (modelling&texturing) is not enough. They are extremely important, but still just part of what is out there.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    WellProblems13.jpg

@BIomag, thanks for taking the time out to type all that amigo. I know it didnt go quickly. As far as what the purpose is, I'm doing this mostly to learn a process when i need to make more props again. I always try to make everything look as good as I can, and if it ends up lookin good I'll put it in my portfolio.

@doxturtle I'm pretty sure thats what i'm doing. I'm doing a high poly sculpt right now. I was going to bake the details down, then paint over it. Maybe do some poly painting, cause I like that.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    WellProblems14.jpg

I'd click the tool bar to make the picture bigger. You can only see some of the details from this distance.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    so ran into a little issue I did.

I've been stuck on it for the past day and half. I've come up with a few options i'm going to try.

a.Retopologize this mesh again, I think this is my best bet.
    b.OR retopologize it seperate from the other roof portion. I'm not sure why that would make a difference, but I feel better thinking that I have more than one option.
    c.I am going to attempt to bake it in, Maya, and see if that yields any better results.
    d. Sculpt this piece of roof again. This is probably the last thing i'll do, but I'm keeping it as an option.

Anything you all think i need to try?
    Also if you could tell me whats happening here, that'd be nice. I've seen it before, but i dont know the name of what this error is.

mMqROOB.jpg
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Well I retopologized it again. went ahead and seperated it, so this part of the roof is by itself. I baked it in both maya and xnormal. Same result. So I'm beginning to think I'll just have to sculpt the roof again. Unless you guys have a different opinion thats what i'm going to do. THoughts?

Uvr36up.jpg
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I have an idea. I'm at work, so i'm documenting it here on this thread. To use when i get back to my home.

a. I'm going to not smooth the low poly and see if that makes any huge difference.
    b. if that doesnt work, i'm going to zero both the high and low poly on the grid.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Why bake that as one whole mesh? Why not save space, time, etc with making 2 or 3 individual shingles and just building the roof that way. Will be slightly more tri's but tri's are just so cheap these days compared to texture memory. Can save the UV space for more pixels for the base.

I know it is a little late, but that is how I would do it from a technical perspective and thought I'd chime in. Those shingles and tiling base texture could then be used on other props as well.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Dang, you wanna know something? thats exactly how I was going to do it the first time too ! haha. I saw somebody on these forums doing it the way I'm doing it now, Albeit with MUCH better results. So I wanted to give it a try.
    I'm going to try using a cage when i get home. I've never tried it before. But next time I think i'll just model each individual shingle, because this is becoming obnoxious.
  • DKeymer3d
    Offline / Send Message
    DKeymer3d polycounter lvl 5
    This has come a long way from what I saw in the first post. I understand your trying to learn. Aren't we all.

One thing I will say about your process is you are giving yourself more work than you need to. As Add3r already mentioned you can save a lot of time and effort by creating single parts and building using that instead of one mesh and get a much better result. Worry about the low poly and baking for later. You have your blockout which will act as your template.

Import your template into zbrush. Then in your 3d application create a single tile for your roof. Just a simple flat rectangular box and sub divide it a few times, say 2 or 3. Import that as another sub tool in zbrush. Work on sculpting one tile just from that and make it double sided. repeat this process 3 or so more times to give you enough variation to work with.

When you are done, using your 4 tiles line up and build your roof over your template. Remember to flip and rotate them to break up the repetition. Using this method will give you a quicker and better reslut thats easy to edit. You can also use this method for the bricks around the well itself as well as other parts of the well.

As for you low poly, once you are done, You will then need to make it workable to use in your 3d application. Use decimation master to bring the poly count of all your subtools down while still more or less maintaining their shape. This will make it possible to bring into max or maya without being a performance hit.

Using that, you can then work to build your low poly for you high poly. This one can be one whole complete model if you choose, unlike your high poly. Make sure to keep a version of your model before you decimation master it.

Sorry for the wall of text but these are thing you need to know and will benefit you later. This was just my summation of a process. If you want to learn more look up using sub tools and decimation master. I will be watching this to see how you progress. Best of luck. Happy sculpting.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    qG10KrW.jpg

So i started the process i think you're talking about Dkeymer. The brown tiles are the ones I made and I'm sculpting placing them down. Aftewards I'm going to decimate, and then retopologize.
  • DKeymer3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Your more or less spot on. Build the roof out of those brown tiles and then get rid of the grey version. If it looks too repetitive then create another varient or move the others about. Remember to keep a version before you decimate. Decimation is only to stop you having a performance problem when moving back to your modelling app for retopologizing.

As I said you can do the same with the bricks for the well base too.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Yo Dkeymer, I started the proces like you saw in that last post. In the mean time, I went ahead and tried something else. I went ahead and made those shingles, but instead of making one big high poly roof then retopoing the whole thing. I went and Put the Low Poly shingles on the roof instead. I think the result is pretty sweet. I'm going to try and see what happens when I try using the other method.

WellProblems19.jpg

WellProblems18.jpg
  • DKeymer3d
    Offline / Send Message
    I get that your going for a style here but i'd say those roof tiles look too thick and large. Look back at your reference images. You can have the odd angles like that provided it isnt going to cause you too much trouble retopologising it. I'd advise against the single low poly for each tile as it will cause you many issue and not be the most optimal approach. When you model any you have to make it to be used in a game engine. With your current method you will waste uv space, add redundant polys, light map issues etc. I would suggest looking back at your reference. make the tiles thinner, smaller and straighten a few of them up to make your low poly making easier. Make the low poly one complete mesh for the roof.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Yeah someone else told me me the same thing. I need to make the shingles t hinner. So I'm going to go ahead with the high res shingled roof, then reopologize it as one whole roof. HOpefully it comes out ok.

I"m a little confused, on what you mean by redunant polies. Mostly because isnt that what i'll be doing when i make a high poly shingle roof? I"ll just be duplicating and kind of editing parts of the roof, then retopologizing it.

SOrry for the wall of text D:
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    WellProblems22.jpg

WellProblems21.jpg

So this is the first try on doing the high poly roof mesh, then retopologizing it. First try, I think it went well. Going to work on it some more tomorrow because there are some errors (mainly stretching) that I'm seeing. Not to mention the mesh is more polys than that of the multiple separate shingles so I'm going to see what I can do about that, otherwise. I'm feeling pretty good. Definitely steps up from where it started!
  • Singtaa
    Offline / Send Message
    Singtaa polycounter lvl 3
    I'm gonna use this opportunity to ask a couple questions since I'm pretty new myself. Dynamesh is making all the wood blocks to have a soldered-together look.

In the case of pmiller001's work, what are some ways to prevent that? And, if the model is already in that state, what are some techniques to clean it up?

Thanks guys.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Singtaa
    I'm actually not using dynamesh, but to answer your question. I might up the resoultion, and turn on polish when i use dynamesh.
  • DKeymer3d
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem you're having now is stetching and uneven uvs before baking. You need to check that your uvs are more or less the same scale. Take your uvs shells and sellect and the uv verts then use the unfold tool in your uv window and it will average it all out. Two ways you can check to see that everything is to scale is 1) using a scale checker texture (you can download this off the internet) or 2) set a value to you projects. Lets say your are planner projecting the top face of your entire low poly roof. I forget what it's called but there is an option to allow it to shoot it at its best angle instead of from x,y,z direction. Keep that on. Also after you project, in the channel box set the projection height and scale to the same value. I usually stick to powers of two, lets say 256 by 256. You will then use this same value for all your uv projection. This will keep everything to scale.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    cQIH2LZ.jpg

HvXIVzU.jpg

So, I tried doing what you said.
    I really liked the Planar projecting on the best face. That was a very cool feature idk why I didnt try it. But I keep getting this weird result.
    Its still stretching, but you can really only tell from a certain few angles.
    Also, the sides are doing that little thing you see in the second picture. Wasnt sure how to get rid of that.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    little bit of an update y'all.
    So this little project is quickly turning into a learning process for retopology haha. That's fine though, because i'm learning quite a bit I didnt know before.
    Anyways. So what I've done is retopologized the shingles again, because the mesh I was working with wasn't giving me the necessary detail I felt. After I did that the results became exponentially better, with more polys as I went on. right now this piece is 910 Tris. Not too upset about that, I'd like to get as much detail as i can, and since the other pieces of tihs well are very low poly I think some of the real estate can be used for these shingles. That being said, there are still some problems.
    I put two version of the shingled roof in this post.
    number 1, is without smoothed normals
    Number 2 has smoothed normals.
    Now thru my learning on the internet, I came to the conclusion that smoothing your normals was the best way to go. That being said, I'm getting MUCH better results Keeping the roof unsmoothed. (in my opinion.)
    So my assumption is, I dont always need to smooth my normals. Is that the case?

PS the sides need some work. But I feel confident in that area.

WellProblems25.jpg

WellProblems26.jpg
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    screen02.png

SO here i am trying new things. I like this result. I think i'll keep working on it. I still want to work on taht roof, and I want to grunge up the cement between the bricks abit. THe wood on the side seems pretty alright to me. So, Not too worried. OTherwise, you all have been great thank you for all of the help you've given so far.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I think I'm just going to have to go into photoshop and paint in some seperation between the roof tiles.