Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ART DUMP - Far Cry 4

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
JobyeK polycounter lvl 13
Hey all!

With Far Cry 4 releasing today (hope everyone is enjoying the game!), we can finally show off what we worked on :)! I'll try and get some other artists from the different Ubi studios involved to contribute as well!

For my part, I worked as a Level Artist on the very different Shangri-La portion of the game out of the Ubisoft Toronto studio. I was responsible for world building, set dressing, debug/polish and some modeling/texturing of our 2nd Shangri-La mission in the screenshots below:

More screens and info on the map on my updated website! www.jobyek.com

FC4_SLA_02.jpg
FC4_SLA_03.jpg
FC4_SLA_05.jpg
FC4_SLA_08.jpg
FC4_SLA_10.jpg

If you have any critiques/questions, shoot!

Enjoy!

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    No breakdowns?
  • JobyeK
    Offline / Send Message
    Any specific breakdowns you're looking for or wanting to know how we did something? Can't post wires or anything unfortunately :/.
  • inflict3d
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    wooow, looks picturesquely!
    also, I like that 'bloody' grass and leaves :)
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    I completed the level art for these. All modeling / texturing / lighting was done internally by Ubisoft.
    fcc_screens_02.png
    fcc_screens_01.png
    fcc_screens_06.png
    fcc_screens_07.png
    fcc_screens_05.png
    fcc_screens_04.png
    fcc_screens_03.png
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    What does "level art" mean here? You just placed the assets and molded the terrain? Or did you also do the terrain and flora textures too? The screenshots look great btw!
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    Being a level artist usually entails taking existing art assets and populating the world with them, in such a way that they work for both composition and game-play.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    There's a boner party in my pants. I'm about 2 hours in to the game so far and I'm really liking it. I *loved* FC3, and I feel FC4 is already an improvement.
  • CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Really nice shots! cant wait to play the game.
    I guess to answer slosh's question "level artist" & "level designer" are the same thing, just using different terms
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    here is some of mine :) same as Lincoln I am a level artist there. all the assets were created by other artists. responsible for layout/composition, terrain sculpting and world building etc.

FC401.jpg

FC402.jpg

FC403.jpg

FC404.jpg

FC405.jpg

FC406.jpg

FC408.jpg

FC409.jpg
  • JobyeK
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D wrote: »
    Really nice shots! cant wait to play the game.
    I guess to answer slosh's question "level artist" & "level designer" are the same thing, just using different terms

Nono, those are two different roles at Ubi. We work in tandem with the level designer to flesh out the gameplay spaces. They usually do the initial blockouts of spaces for gameplay, handle AI scripting, encounters, etc. And we work with them to maintain and add to the gameplay intentions, do terraforming, do 1st pass art blockouts, world building, etc.

And nice stuff guys! I remember seeing that destroyed temple island way back when, when it was still greyblock :P!
  • grimsonfart
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    deciever, really nice stuff you got here. I have a breakdown request! Dem pine trees, and how they intersected the planes seems like a mystery to me. Did you guys render out a flat branch, then render out the needle sticks on the side and combined them to create that nice look?
  • JobyeK
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't work on trees, we had a dedicated team in Montreal just working on our Next-gen and current-gen trees (they're both drastically different). AFAIK, on CG it's the more cheaper/traditional approach with simple planes, but on NG they could push it much further, still using planes, but could push much more...as in have planes for almost every leaf (and on top of that every leave moves!) and I think the pine tree just have more intersecting planes yeah. I'll ask one of our veg guys though to clarify a bit more, and more importantly...art dump his work :D!
  • instg8r
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    Beautiful stuff! Enjoyed FC3 and am looking forward to putting some time in with 4 this weekend :)
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I don't want to watch any reviews on the game as I'm trying to experience everything first hand, but couldn't resist checking this thread out. It looks incredible!
  • Poseidon8734
    Offline / Send Message
    Poseidon8734 polycounter lvl 6
    Really really cool but could you maybe put some AO pass renders and contours? Besides that I might actually get it! :D
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys!
    Here's my contribution to the art dump and Far Cry 4!

I did the weapons on FC4, this time I had a someone (John Zhang) alongside me to help with a bunch of others (autocross, harpoon, guided rocket launcher, etc).
    All FC3 weapons were kept and upscaled to 2048 for NG. There's about a dozen+ new ones.
    Also Toronto was in charge of Shangrila-unique weapons, such as the Shangrila bow, dagger, and some NPC weapons.

For those interested in tech stuff, the overall gist is basically:

Optimize more than what was already done on FC3. Since FC4 still ships 360PS3 versions, polycounts can't go above 15k, while LODs have a 75% reduction rate.
    Budget based on PS3 is 8MB (increase of 2MB over FC3 to compensate for always loaded new assets (grapple etc)) worth of weapons loaded at any given time (includes camos, repair tool, grapple, camera, mounted ground/vehicle, throwables, NPC gear and player gear.)
    As such, strict tech was in place to load LOD0 and MIP0 into memory only when the weapon is equipped.

Some more here: http://www.artstation.com/artist/grassam

greg-rassam-fc4-primbow-01.jpg?1416510580

greg-rassam-fc4-primbow-02.jpg?1416510470

greg-rassam-fc4-mg42-02.jpg?1416509428

greg-rassam-fc4-mg42-01.jpg?1416509024

greg-rassam-fc4-mk4-01.jpg?1416509469

greg-rassam-fc4-p416-01.jpg?1416510209

greg-rassam-fc4-spas12-02.jpg?1416510886

greg-rassam-fc4-gla87-01-2.jpg?1416508639

greg-rassam-fc4-gl79-02-2.jpg?1416508375

greg-rassam-fc4-a99-01.jpg?1416504972
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    KMiklas polycounter lvl 9
    Woah.

Any chances for vehicles? ;)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Jesus man. Those weapons are so good! Best weapons I've seen in a long time!!
    Thanks so much for sharing!
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    love the weapons. cant wait to get my hands on this game!!!
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    KMiklas wrote: »
    Woah.

Any chances for vehicles? ;)

Yep, I'll ask the vehicle modelers to post here once they have their assets
  • CreativeHD
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome stuff! Loving the game!
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    beautiful weps and scenery
  • felipealves
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    I just need to buy FC4 fast!

Beautiful work guys.
  • Sir Apple
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work guys :) I'm having a great time in the game!
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Stunning job, love those weapons especially!
  • Fridock
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    Lovely guns, what Texture size do they use? 2K, 4K?
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Lovely guns, what Texture size do they use? 2K, 4K?
    warxsnake wrote: »
    All FC3 weapons were kept and upscaled to 2048 for NG. There's about a dozen+ new ones.

Nice work guys! Will probably pick up the game at some point, it looks spectacular.
  • inflict3d
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    Waiting when character artists join this 'art-banquet'!

Especially i would like to know who created Min's character.
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    Nice stuff guys, would love to see the vehicles, too!
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I love the weapons, thanks for sharing!
  • doomprodigy
    Offline / Send Message
    doomprodigy polycounter lvl 5
    Real nice work guys, thoroughly enjoying the game :)
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaG wrote: »
    @warxsnake What's the tri count on your P416?

Around 10k if i remember correctly. (without the attachments)
  • Thierryart
    Offline / Send Message
    Thierryart polycounter lvl 9
    I really like the weapon texture! What programe do you use at Ubisoft?
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Thierryart wrote: »
    I really like the weapon texture! What programe do you use at Ubisoft?

I'm guessing legacy dDo and Photoshop, at least I could've sworn I spotted some dDo effects in there :V

Looks amazing either way, definitely some of the best weapon work out there ;)
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Just out of interest what are the polycounts generally for the weapons? Be cool to know. Thanks.

*just saw the post above about 10ktri's, but would nice to get a bit more information*
  • nastobi123
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    I would like to see wires for the weapons if that's cool. :) your stuff is so sick though.
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia wrote: »
    I'm guessing legacy dDo and Photoshop, at least I could've sworn I spotted some dDo effects in there :V

Looks amazing either way, definitely some of the best weapon work out there ;)

Yes dDo for some otherwise tedious edge work, with major mask editing with typical photoshop brush texturing. dDo mainly used as a layer and channel organizer, granting huge production speed; dDo alone won't get you something that looks beyond placeholder, classic dDo anyway. Based on the amount of weapons (new and old) needing texture work regardless, 60ish weapons all needing 2048s, I'd say dDo was indispensable and instrumental in helping with production time. dDo was first tested on FC3 Blood Dragon.
    Just out of interest what are the polycounts generally for the weapons? Be cool to know. Thanks.

*just saw the post above about 10ktri's, but would nice to get a bit more information*

Based on our budget, we can afford anywehre around 12k to 15k max for LOD0. LOD1 needs to be a 75% reduction, or ideally not more than 1500tri in any case.
    LOD0 and LOD1,2,3 are split in data. The entire set of attachments that can be loaded at any time = 1 weapon's worth of budget. LOD0 Attachments in first + anything on your back (1,2,3).
    Whether or not a pistol or an SMG had proportionally less tris than bigger weapons, sure, but it doesn't really matter. All that matters is having a max cost established for an LOD0 weapon and any other weapon costing equal or less.
  • grimsonfart
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    warxsnake wrote: »
    Yes dDo for some otherwise tedious edge work, with major mask editing with typical photoshop brush texturing. dDo mainly used as a layer and channel organizer, granting huge production speed; dDo alone won't get you something that looks beyond placeholder, classic dDo anyway. Based on the amount of weapons (new and old) needing texture work regardless, 60ish weapons all needing 2048s, I'd say dDo was indispensable and instrumental in helping with production time. dDo was first tested on FC3 Blood Dragon.

Based on our budget, we can afford anywehre around 12k to 15k max for LOD0. LOD1 needs to be a 75% reduction, or ideally not more than 1500tri in any case.
    LOD0 and LOD1,2,3 are split in data. The entire set of attachments that can be loaded at any time = 1 weapon's worth of budget. LOD0 Attachments in first + anything on your back (1,2,3).
    Whether or not a pistol or an SMG had proportionally less tris than bigger weapons, sure, but it doesn't really matter. All that matters is having a max cost established for an LOD0 weapon and any other weapon costing equal or less.
    DDO is a fantastic piece of software for sure. Masking and not having to worry about layers upon layers in PS is probably the biggest reasons why i love it so much. Now that Megascans is right around the corner the possibilities will be endless. Maybe we will be able to create textures without having to search hours on the net or maybe even sculpt (at least for the most generic textures)...

But i'm curious why you guys are still using legacy DDO? Don't you guys have 500 bucs at Ubisoft xD?
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    DDO is a fantastic piece of software for sure. Masking and not having to worry about layers upon layers in PS is probably the biggest reasons why i love it so much. Now that Megascans is right around the corner the possibilities will be endless. Maybe we will be able to create textures without having to search hours on the net or maybe even sculpt (at least for the most generic textures)...

But i'm curious why you guys are still using legacy DDO? Don't you guys have 500 bucs at Ubisoft xD?

There are long approval processes before using a particular software, and changing production tools mid-project is not.. advisable? Especially with software just coming out of beta.

Personally I prefer the older dDo anyway.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Awesome weapons work! :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing so much info about specs and process, both on this and back when FC3 came out. Always interesting to read.

And the environments are great too :)
  • sargentcrunch
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    I just recently beat the game, and the art is great, the guns, the environments, characters, etc. You said you used legacy DDO, is this game not using PBR? I thought it was, by how great it looks, but maybe this proves how much is still left in the 'old' way.

Thanks!
    The game and the textures are set up for PBR, yeah. You can create PBR pipelines with the old dDo. PBR is mostly just correct albedo values combined with a logical gloss/roughness. I forgot if dDo(old) exports a metalicity map, but you can just dedicate one of the channels of one of the map exports to metalicity.
    I didn't have metalicity maps available in the materials though, so in my case, whatever.
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    Here are also few more to add on my side :P
    Same thing - I did only Level Art pass, which included terraforming, vegetation placement, props and architecture layout, road layout and overall composition of several maps.
    Since FarCry was a huge collaborative effort of many people, the work was also shared in some areas with other artists, depending on the locations.

3d_FC4_09.jpg

3d_FC4_01.jpg

3d_FC4_02.jpg

3d_FC4_03.jpg

3d_FC4_04.jpg

3d_FC4_05.jpg

3d_FC4_06.jpg

3d_FC4_07.jpg

3d_FC4_08.jpg

3d_FC4_10.jpg

3d_FC4_11.jpg

3d_FC4_12.jpg

3d_FC4_14.jpg

3d_FC4_15.jpg

3d_FC4_16.jpg

3d_FC4_17.jpg
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    nice shots Vlad, your areas look great!
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    warxsnake What software do you use for texturing?
  • loggie24
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Tim :) But I was actually jealous of Tamang and ShangriLa thematics lol. Always felt like Town was a bit less cool :P
    Great job everyone! I only now start to discover how often I might have been "heads down" concentrated on my own work, and therefore how much of the cool game content I have missed so far... Now I have the opportunity ;)
  • Evohc
    This is great and so is the game! On my second play through right now :D I'd really more then anything though like to know the overall polycount on the trees??

Keep it up guys/gals!
  • AdamLacharite
    Hi everybody!

I've finally uploaded my portfolio with some of the work I did on Far Cry 4 on the vegetation team. I was mainly responsible for the modeling of the vegetation on the next gen version. I worked on the trees and the bushes mostly for the next gen version of the game.
    Paulette Richardson and Pascal De Sampaio did the textures.

https://adamlacharite.artstation.com/

adam-lacharite-lefebvre-fc4-openworld-01-adamlacharite.jpg?1427147578

adam-lacharite-lefebvre-fc4-openworld-02-adamlacharite.jpg?1427147583

adam-lacharite-lefebvre-fc4-openworld-03-adamlacharite.jpg?1427147589

adam-lacharite-lefebvre-fc4-openworld-04-adamlacharite.jpg?1427147594

adam-lacharite-lefebvre-fc4-openworld-05-adamlacharite.jpg?1427147600

adam-lacharite-lefebvre-fc4-openworld-06-adamlacharite.jpg?1427147605

adam-lacharite-lefebvre-fc4-openworld-07-adamlacharite.jpg?1427147610

adam-lacharite-lefebvre-fc4-openworld-08-adamlacharite.jpg?1427147614

adam-lacharite-lefebvre-fc4-openworld-09-adamlacharite.jpg?1427147620

adam-lacharite-lefebvre-fc4-openworld-10-adamlacharite.jpg?1427147626

adam-lacharite-lefebvre-fc4-openworld-11-adamlacharite.jpg?1427147631