Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[TUTORIAL] Weapon creation (M37 Ithaca)

Replies

• hakbit
    Offline / Send Message
    hakbit polycounter lvl 7
    I watched your video and see u making from High poly --> low poly. Is it easier ? or have something advantage ?

p/s: Thanks for great tuts :D and sr for my bad english .... ~(.__.)~
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    I kinda like the "unprofessional-ness" of the tutorial, some of your mannerisms made me chuckle a bit. Again thanks for the great tut Millenia .

Yeah it's kind of like those movies, where the ancient Kung Fu master hermit can slay 20 ninjas in a drunken stupor, and when you go to train with him he's giving you all the best secrets, but is reading dirty magazines while he reveals to you the mysteries of the universe - I mean should you complain? I don't think so
  • Reale
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah it's kind of like those movies, where the ancient Kung Fu master hermit can slay 20 ninjas in a drunken stupor, and when you go to train with him he's giving you all the best secrets, but is reading dirty magazines while he reveals to you the mysteries of the universe - I mean should you complain? I don't think so

haha, I actually like the background noise as the tut goes on... one minute it sounds like someone is in the shower... the next it sounds a like a hamster is running on a wheel and at some point someone uses a microwave? I also find it funny that he gets up to get a drink and leaves the tut running instead of editing it out... its something I wouldnt like in a paid tutorial (i.e 3d motive) but its great because its free and memorable...
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    hakbit wrote: ยป
    I watched your video and see u making from High poly --> low poly. Is it easier ? or have something advantage ?

p/s: Thanks for great tuts :D and sr for my bad english .... ~(.__.)~

Well I personally prefer it that way around, gives more control for the high poly.
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for this tutorial and your old ones as well, learned allot from your texturing tutorials. Got that wood video somewhere?

I also like doing that way with lowpoly at least for mechanic stuff for organic is not always the choice. :)
  • benj666
    Hi guys :(

I dunno if this is the right place to post this, this is for help with the tutorial.#

Im sorry if its in the wrong place.

Im trying to do the tutorial in low poly, after hours of work I baked and my normal maps suck.......i think :(. Please can someone help me figure out how to get it look good.

High poly

polycounthelphighpoly.jpg

Low poly
    polycounthelp.jpg

there is no detail from any of the floating geom on the low poly, some things seem kinda blobby. please ask for any more pics, thanks :)

thanks in advance guys. :thumbup:
  • hakbit
    Offline / Send Message
    hakbit polycounter lvl 7
    Ya. My normal map suck too :(. Don't know what i did wrong... Did u edit map on pts or something ? Can I ask name the plugin you use for making UV map and other map on pts (like the colorful map to choose uv part) :D ? looks so great.
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    hakbit: that'd be TexTools by our own RenderHJS :D

http://renderhjs.net/textools/

benj: I've never used Maya so I have no idea, sorry.
  • hakbit
    Offline / Send Message
    hakbit polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks again. that's plugin so usefull :D. I try to do follow your tuts step by step but after I baking the normal map many times it's still looks not good as you :(. Can you give me some advice ?

Low poly with smooth group
    gridz.jpg

Low with normal map
    normalpx.jpg
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Try disabling Gamma/LUT settings in 3ds Max preferences. If that doesn't fix it, try flipping the green channel of the normal map (just open the normal map, go to the green channel and hit ctrl + I)
  • Reale
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    sweet tutorial and glad to see you reply to my posts :P (even if they are random tips lol) so I finished my m37 last week which you can see the results of here

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95762

came out fairly close and happy with the results, I could push for a carbon copy but I think its best to learn from my mistakes and apply it to another model :)

hope to see you make more videos in the future.
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey that's a pretty close result :D
  • Reale
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    Hey that's a pretty close result :D

Thanks man, I really studied that tutorial and in retrospect I can see where I made the differences but that should come with time and practice!

I dig your texture work on the fallout NV weapons you have going too!

as a side note, that seems like a fantastic exercise for honing your skills in UV unwrapping and texturing with a fast and rewarding outcome (textured model in game)
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I learned tons about baking normals due to having done it so much in a short period of time. A project like that is highly recommended for anyone who wants to get better fast :D
  • hakbit
    Offline / Send Message
    hakbit polycounter lvl 7
    Try disabling Gamma/LUT settings in 3ds Max preferences. If that doesn't fix it, try flipping the green channel of the normal map (just open the normal map, go to the green channel and hit ctrl + I)

Thanks. i try flipping the green channel and the normal seem pretty fine now ( not that close as your but accept able :poly121:). Thanks for the tuts and helping me. I've learned many things from you :D
  • MattW
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, really nice tutorial. I've only gotten through the first part so far.

Just a couple of things I wanted to note, you could make a couple things easier on yourself using some tools to make things exact and precise like align and snap. The advantage besides things being spot on is that there's no need to check it from every angle and fudge things back and forth, you hit it and it's done. The time can really add up. This was especially evident when you were using symmetry on the floating geo. If you just used align on the gizmo and did it to the center of the receiver it would have been right on like the other side. Hearing you talk about being a perfectionist and being precise I was surprised they didn't come up. For people starting out I think it's important if you're making videos like this to show them these tools so they get in the habit of using them. They save a lot of time.

Also the reason the extrusions on the knurled part on the end of the magazine tube wasn't working was that the operator was set to group instead of local normal. Lastly, when drawing out poly's, they'll be flipped if you draw clockwise. Counter clockwise will keep them facing you. I'm sure these are things you know but they might be worth mentioning for more novice users if you make any similar videos in the future.

All and all a great video, it's awesome that you took the time to make such an in depth series. I hope my critique didn't come off rude or unfounded. I look forward to watching the rest this afternoon.
  • zicoV
    So i finally had a go at your tut and i gotta say it's pretty awesome :)
    Always nice to see how other people work and definitely learned a few things.

Here's my result
    m37screenchot02.jpg

The texture could probably use some more work but it's late so im gonna call it a day. Thanks again :)
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    what are the RACER tuts i see people talking about? can somebody pm me a link, please?
  • RuBn8&
    Thanks alot for the tutorial. I'm currently trying to go trough it. But i have encountered a slight problem. After aplying the 3point shader + bump, it somehow becomes almost black and very weird looking in the dark areas.

errorcolor.jpg

Why is this happening? Hope you can help me.

Best regards
  • RuBn8&
    Found the answer now. Was the gamma i had to disable. Made the whole picture look soo much better! Read the full thread, and saw that others also had some problems with the gamma, so i gave it a try. To the rest who should see this problem, go to Customize -> Preferences -> Gamma and LUT; uncheck Enable gamma/LUT correction.

Again, thanks for the tut!
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    what are the RACER tuts i see people talking about? can somebody pm me a link, please?

http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445
  • spaccossa
    RuBn8& wrote: ยป
    Found the answer now. Was the gamma i had to disable. Made the whole picture look soo much better! Read the full thread, and saw that others also had some problems with the gamma, so i gave it a try. To the rest who should see this problem, go to Customize -> Preferences -> Gamma and LUT; uncheck Enable gamma/LUT correction.

Again, thanks for the tut!

You only have enabled the gamma correction or specific set of valuesโ€‹โ€‹?

With these settings, I continue to still have the same problems.

gammad.png

Sorry for my bad english..
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to disable it, not enable it :P
  • benj666
    Hey update time. been busy also so thats why its taken so long.

This is a UDK render.

udkrender.jpg

udkrender2.jpg

udkrender3.jpg

udkrender4.jpg

I feel i can make it better, but i just need some guidance.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)
  • BreaK-
    Ok, so I guess I'll post mine up here too.

Shotty.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Great tutorial Millenia, hope you've got some more coming. :)
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Hey update time. been busy also so thats why its taken so long.

This is a UDK render.

udkrender.jpg

udkrender2.jpg

udkrender3.jpg

udkrender4.jpg

I feel i can make it better, but i just need some guidance.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

A few things.

Have a better light setup. Right now it looks just bad and is hurting our ability to crit.

You have too much wear and tear detail in your diffuse texture. The most information will be in your specular texture. Make sure to get your AO over to the spec texture as well.

Your gloss value of the piece is WAY to tight, it needs to be much more broad. 20-60 is a decent starting value. Play with it to get it right.

Specular is the most important map with metal, give it the most attention.
  • benj666
    Wow thanks Quack! ill get on it. Had abit of trouble with the UDK side of it as it looks so different UDK to the 3d programs.

Also love the display pic lol ^_^
  • Vous
    Offline / Send Message
    Vous polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys,

first of all - thanks for that great tutorial. Taught me so many things (mainly how to bake flawless normal map and a lot about texturing) and you have my eternal graditude.

And here is my take on the weapon. It's still wip, I need to figure out what to do with the wood to make it pop, but so far I am really satisfied with it. What do you think? Any crit welcome!

m37-shotgun-wip1-1.jpg?ver=2

m37-shotgun-wip1-2.jpg?ver=2
  • MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    impressive texturing Vous, same goes for Break! Cannot really give good critic since I am pretty new at texturing myself.

Anyway, it seems I cannot get Render to texture to work out. Can someone take a look at my file, which contains the high and low poly, and see if they can bake the maps inside of max ?
    http://www.2shared.com/file/oUR1rO7d/RTT_wynwork.html
  • Zonder
    Offline / Send Message
    Zonder polycounter lvl 9
    Thank You very much for such great guide, helped me a lot.
  • Nasser
    Offline / Send Message
    Nasser polycounter lvl 12
    Great tutorial, I'll be going back to this often as I practice more and more. One little thing though, I had some trouble figuring out how to use vtools to save out the different maps automatically like you did in the video. The process was slightly obtuse but I figured it out eventually. Just in case anyone else was confused as I was, a few tips:

1. Get the tools here: http://home.insightbb.com/~jamestaylor/

2. Extract them to a folder anywhere.

3. Open photoshop and your texture file. Now add a "~" to your different group's names e.g. "~diffuse" and "~specular".

4. Now go to file>scripts>browse and load up vSavePSDTGA.

5. When the window pops up click on the "Sets" dropdown list in the "Basic" section and set it to "Save all, append _initial". Also make sure the Root layer set marker is "~", the same character you've placed at the start of your group names.

6. You can check the "Use PSD Path" box to make sure the TGA's are saved to the same folder as your PSD.

Click on "Save Images" and you're done! Hope that helps, and thanks again Millenia for an excellent look into your workflow.
  • ladyknowles
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the amazing tutorial Millenia!

final_ithaca_37_model_by_teenagephoenix-d5jvk1c.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Nice shotty, looks like you could save a lot of tris, though ;)
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Millenia, what software did you use to record these?
  • dack3d
    Offline / Send Message
    dack3d polycounter lvl 5
    Hello Millenia.

Thks for this tutorial. this is my M37 Ithaca version, my texturing is little bit differente. :)
    Montage-M37.jpg
    Montage-M37-03.jpg
    Montage-M37-05.jpg

Hope you will like it !
  • perkins
    @dack3d - I was trying to find things I hated with your shotgun compared to mine, but yours is much better in terms of texturing. Model is basically the same, but I really like what you did with the texture. Awesome work!.! My favorite so far because you tried something different. :thumbup:

Do you know of any good tutorials for modifying the normal map? like what you did on the grip and very rear of the gun.
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia, what software did you use to record these?

Hypercam 2, nifty little software!
  • dack3d
    Offline / Send Message
    dack3d polycounter lvl 5
    @Perkins : Thank you very much for this kind words. I learned lot of thinks with this tutorial "Millenia" tutorial.
    To do the grid I used Illustrator, copy in photoshop as a coloredpath and after with NDo2 I converted the path to a normal map (don't miss to Overlay the layer).
    Take a look here => http://www.quixel.se
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    You did a really fantastic job, Millenia. Almost done with the high-poly and already learned a few neat tricks. Much appreciated.

@ladyknowles: If you're going to include the weapon in your portfolio, you might want to include that you followed a tutorial for it for a couple reasons: A) Millenia put a bit of time and preparation into it, and deserves to be acknowledged for it. B) You're going to misconstrue that you made it all by yourself. Even though you did make it all (and the piece turned out really quite nice), it was through following a pretty much spoon-fed tutorial.
  • Geno527
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Millenia, I've followed your tutorial a few month ago, and I've learn a lot of thing. I can even say that I've learn everything about Hard Surface with your tutorial. he is very amazing. So it's my first post on polycount and I just wanted to say, thank you !

Every other post are great, so I didn't dare to show mine, but here we go :

The High Poly model: (as you can see I've add some buckshot, flashlight, etc)
    ShotgunHP.jpg

And there is the low poly version (5714 tri):
    shotgunlp2.jpg

Thank you again Millenia :D
  • ToffeeApple
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Millenia

Here is my go at it. I learnt a lot from this - may re-visit the textures at some point. I took your suggestion and also had a look through Racer's tutorial. I still have a little way to go in this area but it was a really good project so thank you for making the time to make the tutorial!

[IMG][/img]screenshotsmall_zps458cd8f2.png
  • David Wakelin
  • Geno527
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah ToffeeApple ! Textures are great, but I think the model would be more interesting if you add medal at the end of the cross ? (I think, I'm not a pro :D )
  • ToffeeApple
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the comments :)

Geno527 - yes I agree it'd be more interesting that way - will have to look into doing that when I revisit it. I really love some of the details others have added to their guns so it'd be great to add some more to mine.
  • dissonance
    46GVMiC.jpg

So far, so good. Thanks for the tutorial, dude, it's a huge help!
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw it on /3/, great to hear you're enjoying it :D
  • dissonance
    IKup73I.jpg

I'm actually pleased with this. I think UDK inverted the normals and the specular doesn't quite pop like it did in Max, but seeing as how this is the first thing I've made in Max and Photoshop, I'm quite happy with it.
  • gmanotter2468
    i just have one question, how or where can i make the model for the gun? (sry im new)
  • Poinball
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Your tutorial motivated me a lot ! Thanks for sharing your knowledge !!
  • bausmans
    it's never too late to learn good stuff
    We all have our methods nice tutorial, love it