Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• re.wind
    I'm asking because it keeps on happening to me, to see if anyone else has a similar problem. :-\

Removed the duplicate bones from the two models, they now attach to separate bones (i.e. item1 attaches to bone1, item 2 attaches to bone2). still crashes. I checked both the smds before compiling and the qc's and they're both fine.

that leaves the material system and i'll be quite surprised if that is the cause of the crashing.

edit: nope, not materials.
  • Toasty Fresh
    Offline / Send Message
    Toasty Fresh polycounter lvl 12
    sniperbeercannearlydone.jpg

I think I'm nearly done with the mesh. I added a laser sight on the barrel and finished up on the stock, just wanted to post it here to see if anyone has ideas on what I can add before I unwrap and texture.
  • Sharkisss
    So, i was planing this a while ago and finally decided to start working on it.

I made a rough model for it now, just to find the best location for it. Which location do you think is best ? IMA i would choose 2

123yvk.jpg
  • re.wind
    warr drums & banner.
    soldier_drums_render_08.jpg
    soldier_drums_render_09.jpg
    soldier_drums_render_10.jpg
  • Sexy Robot
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    Looks neato, but how do the shells go in? And eject? The straps are in the way.

They're held in the power box, and fed in through it.
  • roninsmastermix
    Delko wrote: »
    @roninsmastermix How about the dispenser backpack that the ammo belt feeds into?
    Already way ahead of you there.
  • Apocol0id

I think I'm nearly done with the mesh. I added a laser sight on the barrel and finished up on the stock, just wanted to post it here to see if anyone has ideas on what I can add before I unwrap and texture.

Have you tried using this with a character yet? I can't quite see how they'd hold it. There's no real place for their hand to go that wouldn't be OVER the stock.
  • Doughnut Bear
    sniperbeercancrit.jpg

looking good so far,love the concept however i was wondering are there going to be bolts and screws holding the stock and binoculars on?(highlighted in red)cus right now it looks like the binocular is balanced there and the stock is defying gravity.
  • re.wind
    now a single object again. scrapped the buff-banner replacement idea and went for a passive bonus or right-click ability item for the secondary slot.

now to do the uvs properly and work on the texture, and then i'm done with this.

soldierdrum_wip_04.jpg
  • Macgta
    sniperbeercancrit.jpg

@ToastyFresh: The details look pretty cool but i agree with doughnut bear here, The stock appears to be levitating as there's nothing holding it in place that i can see; Other than that looking good :)

I decided to do an RPG-7 for the soldier to fit in with the vietnam helmet i did earlier: Here it is so far:

viet_rpg7_ingame.jpg
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    haven't gotten much done due to Canada day weekend but i started on the eagle sight and optimized things a but to bring it under 3k tris. and as im sure everyone will notice i cant do orgianic modeling for shit, so if someone has any tips for the eagle or just wants to make a LP eagle for the front sight that would be pretty dam great.

screengrab_20110703161422.jpg
  • ComfyCushion
    Macgta, the standard rocket launcher is already based on the rpg-7. It just has internal rockets instead of external.
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13

What's the other side look like? The Sniper's stock animations need a bolt to be on the right side that he can actuate. Also it might look better to have some sort of magazine or feeding system. I don't see anyway for ammunition to enter the weapon yet. Also there doesn't appear to be a trigger.
  • Svdl
    b0BGd.jpg

Was playing around with the phong and I think I found something that works pretty well.

Someone also told me to give it to engy, so while it's not fitting animation wise (but the same applies to the spy actually), here's a picture anyway.

WpJPY.jpg

@Toasty Fresh
    The thing's looking good, but I feel the wires underneath the scope and on the stock are a bit on the thin side. If they matched the ones on the front I think it'd make a big difference.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    looks nice Svdl, did you mainly just change the exponent of the phong or you made other tweaks too, i would also be interested in see what is going on in you texture sheets both diffuse and specular.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Almost done texturing the Anchor.

anchor_wip_05.jpg

anchor_wip_06.jpg
  • Larate

You could make the barrel a flute of some sort. Maybe add a bit of a bana peel burst to the end of it.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    begun work on a revolver for the spy
    snub_revolver_01.jpg
    still very much a wip, still need to block in the hammer
  • KevinLongtime
    Svdl wrote: »
    b0BGd.jpg

Was playing around with the phong and I think I found something that works pretty well.

Someone also told me to give it to engy, so while it's not fitting animation wise (but the same applies to the spy actually), here's a picture anyway.

WpJPY.jpg

@Toasty Fresh
    The thing's looking good, but I feel the wires underneath the scope and on the stock are a bit on the thin side. If they matched the ones on the front I think it'd make a big difference.

That is absolutely sexy!
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Zip, I'm sure you are planning to do what I am going to suggest but might as well say it. The points on each end and the ring at the bottom should have seperate colours of a slightly different shade. It's also a bit basic, I'd add some straps to the grip like the scouts bat but that's just what I like ;)
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    passerby wrote: »
    haven't gotten much done due to Canada day weekend but i started on the eagle sight and optimized things a but to bring it under 3k tris. and as im sure everyone will notice i cant do orgianic modeling for shit, so if someone has any tips for the eagle or just wants to make a LP eagle for the front sight that would be pretty dam great.

Sorta like this Eagle ornament

NCrKw.jpg
  • Gobywan
    Hello again, Polycount! I've decided to revisit the steam locomotive pack for the Pyro that I was working on about 6 months ago, and I would very much like some comments / criticisms / suggestions. Here are the last images I posted (I'm going to do some new ones with itemtest once I set up compiling tools on this new computer):

1RSk7.png
    A7ZFd.png
    x6eCW.png
    WjH2H.jpg
    SO2cu.jpg
    JDAPd.jpg

I'm also working on a flamethrower (also based on a steam locomotive) to round out the pack, and possibly a secondary weapon if I can come up with a good concept that fits the theme.

These are my current plans:
    • Re-UV both the hat and the weapon - the current ones are terrible and cause a lot of stretching and loss of detail in important areas
    • Add a modeled number plate to the front of the hat instead of just texturing it on
    • Re-do the ornamental top thingy on the hat to look better, be more visible and TF2-ish
    • Add more wear to the weapon texture, but tone down the edge wear that's currently on everything
    • Make all the shiny metal bits look like shiny metal and not yellow plastic

Anything else I should change? These are pretty much the first things I've ever modeled, so there has to be room for improvement :poly124:
  • eedobaba7726
  • Cooljay
    Nice work here guys
  • Ls777
  • Toasty Fresh
    Offline / Send Message
    Toasty Fresh polycounter lvl 12
    sniperrender.jpg

I think I responded to most of the criticism... Let me know if I've missed anything. If not, guess it's time to learn to compile and see if it fits into the Sniper's hands before I unwrap it.
  • randomteddybear
    I never claimed to be decent at texturing but heres what I have so far:
    (particles Credit to Recurracy, though he's working on them)
    2011_07_03_00005.jpg

2011_07_03_00006.jpg

2011_07_03_00007.jpg

As a side note, I'm still working on the phong mask, and lods are up next. I'm thinking of doing a backpack for medigun as well.
  • lewist
    Here’s a little hat I’ve been working on in my spare time. I thought a prehistoric take on the soldier would be appropriate for the character.
    Here are the silhouette and orthographic views I drew – more than a few things have changed from the concept.

triceratopsSilhouette.jpg

triceratopsOrtho.jpg

triceratopsQuad.jpg

I could definitely use some feedback on the mesh, especially anything I could do to improve the topology. I’m currently pushing around 1,700 tris (Valve’s recommendation is around 800, yikes!)
  • Doughnut Bear
    @Toasty Fresh looking alot better
    @eedobaba7726 i like the texture on the maraca but the texture on the knives need some work, try taking a more standard tf2 approach to metal.
  • roninsmastermix
    commandoengiesample8.jpg

Texture hopefully done by now. Level 1 - 3. The arm is rigged to the arm bones and the spine 2. Right now it im having difficulty with the additional bones for the belt. Right now it all appears to be following the arm. Is this because belt bones didnt merge to the spine? Comments and crits are welcome.

Also had the time to think about the stats...

Twist'd Texan
    Level 1 Mechanical Arm
    Can be upgraded
    -25% Ammo

Level 2 Sentry Arm
    +300% Ammo
    -25% Mobility
    Cannot build buildings

Level 3 Sentry Arm
    +300% Ammo
    +50% Damage
    -50% Mobility
    Cannot build buildings
  • ShadowBrain
    Awesome.
    Thought about how it would get destroyed, if at all?
    Would that leave a lot of armless engies or would the engie die?
  • Masich
    Uhhh, little help?

Was working on the unwrap for my rifle when I noticed a few misaligned vertexes. Nothing that can't be easily fixed. Or so I thought.

Then I found out my X, Y and Z axis are comepletely screwed. Help, please?
    whatthehellv.png
  • randomteddybear
    I'm no expert on 3ds max, but it looks like your move tool is set to use local coordinates.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yep, spot on. Says local at the top, can't miss it. Go back to view.

Loving that sentry arm thing by the way!
  • Hooch
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    How to make an item that will remove part of player model?
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Gobywan ,

I like the melee a lot. Not too fond of the helmet though, just looks to heavy/awkward I guess. Looks like the grill definitely needs some turned edges. From the 3/4 view it seems to be concave, would look better convex.
    Pretty creative stuff though.

@Hooch,

That's tougher. You need to delete that part and weight it to the existing bones. I always get bones that are 90 off in the y plane (guess Valve uses Maya).
    It also requires Valve to rerelease the model with those parts dettachable, they've done it for boots, engie hand, pyro head (all heads after decapitation became possible).
    So it's a longer shot I think, but if it's good enough they might do it.
  • re.wind

Texture hopefully done by now. Level 1 - 3. The arm is rigged to the arm bones and the spine 2. Right now it im having difficulty with the additional bones for the belt. Right now it all appears to be following the arm. Is this because belt bones didnt merge to the spine? Comments and crits are welcome.

Twist'd Texan
    Level 1 Mechanical Arm
    Can be upgraded
    -25% Ammo

Level 2 Sentry Arm
    +300% Ammo
    -25% Mobility
    Cannot build buildings

Level 3 Sentry Arm
    +300% Ammo
    +50% Damage
    -50% Mobility
    Cannot build buildings

i'm getting certain strogg vibes on those last images...

+awesomesauce points for you sir.
  • Dashtoronto
    commandoengiesample8.jpg

Twist'd Texan
    Level 1 Mechanical Arm
    Can be upgraded
    -25% Ammo

Level 2 Sentry Arm
    +300% Ammo
    -25% Mobility
    Cannot build buildings

Level 3 Sentry Arm
    +300% Ammo
    +50% Damage
    -50% Mobility
    Cannot build buildings

you need to add a shoulder mounted missile launcher on that arm. and itll be perfect.

*edit* scratch that. make the shoulder mounted missile launcher for upgrade 4.

and if you really want to know what i think. the gun barrels on that arm sentry should be longer. they seem too short, imho.
  • roninsmastermix
    you need to add a shoulder mounted missile launcher on that arm. and itll be perfect.

*edit* scratch that. make the shoulder mounted missile launcher for upgrade 4.

and if you really want to know what i think. the gun barrels on that arm sentry should be longer. they seem too short, imho.

My initial design was for the missile launcher to be mounted on top of the should. The problem with that is the shoulder bone yaw's so much that the launcher would clip all over his chest and back. If i placed it on top of the collar, it would clip the face a lot. Another problem is the fact that you have to point the arm to shoot, this will rotate the shoulder backwards and if the launcher was there, it would point the launcher upward. That's why the launcher was placed on the triceps instead.

The barrel was intentionally made shorter to denote that its has a weaker power than a regular sentry.
  • Dashtoronto
    My initial design was for the missile launcher to be mounted on top of the should. The problem with that is the shoulder bone yaw's so much that the launcher would clip all over his chest and back. If i placed it on top of the collar, it would clip the face a lot. Another problem is the fact that you have to point the arm to shoot, this will rotate the shoulder backwards and if the launcher was there, it would point the launcher upward. That's why the launcher was placed on the triceps instead.

The barrel was intentionally made shorter to denote that its has a weaker power than a regular sentry.

Sounds good. but about the barrel intentionally being made shorter to indicate its weaker than the original regular sentry. that's a bit of overkill. its all about aesthetics. if a longer gun barrel would make this arm sentry look even more awesome. I say, go for it! To let people know the sentry arm is weaker than the original sentry, all you have to do is type in bold letters in the sentry arm description/stats. ARM SENTRY IS WEAKER THAN A REGULAR SENTRY.

TF2 players aren't retarded. they'll figure it out.

its all about looks in a game. Go for a longer gun barrel. don't worry so much about stats. That just kills the whole project if you're gonna put restrictions on your designs.
  • RedSheep
    I disagree. I say always shoot for the proper functionality. For example, if I want to make a robot drone, I'm going to make it look like a standard robot despite the fact that I could make it look better by bulking it up or adding things onto it.
    I think shortening the barrel was a good decision (also I think it would look strange if the barrel were to be too much longer because then it would look much too cumbersome).
  • roninsmastermix
    Sounds good. but about the barrel intentionally being made shorter to indicate its weaker than the original regular sentry. that's a bit of overkill. its all about aesthetics. if a longer gun barrel would make this arm sentry look even more awesome. I say, go for it! To let people know the sentry arm is weaker than the original sentry, all you have to do is type in bold letters in the sentry arm description/stats. ARM SENTRY IS WEAKER THAN A REGULAR SENTRY.

TF2 players aren't retarded. they'll figure it out.

its all about looks in a game. Go for a longer gun barrel. don't worry so much about stats. That just kills the whole project if you're gonna put restrictions on your designs.

I'll try it later. It doesn't take much to make it longer. If i like it i'll keep it.

And now, the backpack...
    engiebackpacksample1.jpg
    This is dispenser/backpack meant to be put on secondary weapons slot. intentionally clipping the bullet belt and working around it so the arm and the backpack can be both used together or apart.
  • Sharkisss
    I'll try it later. It doesn't take much to make it longer. If i like it i'll keep it.

And now, the backpack...
    engiebackpacksample1.jpg
    This is dispenser/backpack meant to be put on secondary weapons slot. intentionally clipping the bullet belt and working around it so the arm and the backpack can be both used together or apart.

You should make some kind of a wire that would connect the back of engies head and the back pack.

A pair of robotic boots would also go perfectly.
  • Cooljay
    @sharkkisss
    It would be kind of pushing the envelope a little to go that far
  • Doughnut Bear
    packjs.jpg

decided to swap out the keypad with an alarm clock to give it a more cartoony tf2 feel. crits so far? i still have to add the wires.
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Masich wrote: »
    whatthehellv.png

If you're planning to submit this to valve, please be aware of the icky Usage Rights that come with the Student Version of Max. You might not legally be able to release your work to them. This might look like i'm randomly nitpicking/bitching but it's actually quite an important matter.
  • Dashtoronto
    RedSheep wrote: »
    I disagree. I say always shoot for the proper functionality. For example, if I want to make a robot drone, I'm going to make it look like a standard robot despite the fact that I could make it look better by bulking it up or adding things onto it.
    I think shortening the barrel was a good decision (also I think it would look strange if the barrel were to be too much longer because then it would look much too cumbersome).

'always shoot for the proper functionality' ??

you guys amaze me sometimes.

i'll make it short and sweet so you can get my point:

if it doesn't look cool. what's the point???

Games are supposed to look cool. Nobody cares about proper functionality. If an soldier suddenly got a jetpack upgrade, do you think players go, "I wonder if jetpacks are realistic?" No, they don't. They go, "OMFG, that's so effin' COOL!"

seriously. I think you guys take games too seriously, sometimes. 'Proper functionality'? Really? I never actually thought when Mario picked up a mushroom and grew 10 feet tall, that it was really proper functionality. I just thought it was effin' cool when he grew 10 feet tall.

'Proper functionality'? Really?

• Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Haha yeah. My flamethrower doesn't exactly make sense either. Powered by a car battery? Propulsion using a modern extinguisher? But it looks cool :D That's exactly what my pack is all about, "cool".
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    i'll make it short and sweet so you can get my point:

Good point, but I believe he's actually arguing for design aesthetics, not for realism.
  • Doughnut Bear
    tank1k.jpg
    tank2h.jpg

any crits/comments before i uv and texture my oxygen tank replacer for the pyro. also if someone knows how to remove the pyro tank body group that would be appreciated :D