New bow concept:
    p8xeCjS.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    zicoV wrote: »
    So i'm finally up and running again after my hdd died last weekend :(
    which also meant i lost everything i had on mirana so far so i'm starting from strach.

miranaarmorwip01.jpg

I hanv't drawn anything on the mount yet but i like this image and i think i'm gonna try to replicate something like this.

White_lion_mount_war_lion_high_elf_lord_hero.jpg

Still need to come up with a bow and quiver design..
    Whats the deadline on this again ? :)

sorry about your hd

maybe now you get with a better model =]
    New bow concept:
    p8xeCjS.png

nice one bronto
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
  • brojomaan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, been fiddling around with the LP version of the mount, do you have any tips on retopologising? ive been sitting here for 2 days made three LP models and they all look terrible. do you guys do the Zshpere RETOP or do you use a program of some variety?
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brojomaan wrote: »
    hey guys, been fiddling around with the LP version of the mount, do you have any tips on retopologising? ive been sitting here for 2 days made three LP models and they all look terrible. do you guys do the Zshpere RETOP or do you use a program of some variety?
    try Topogun or 3D coat

1Y6OQ
    looks weird but I like how it turned out
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    I was thinking about where we take this competition dealie in the coming months and I agree with the sentiments that it might not be the best idea to just stick with one hero each month. Perhaps instead of a single hero we could have more open "themes" like 'Assassins', 'Heroes with mounts', 'Heroes with pets/summons', 'Flying heroes', 'Heroes with 0 cosmetic items' etc.
  • deadl3ss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovin the Mirana stuff guys !!
  • deadl3ss
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol just noticed mirana had a white tiger in dota 1
    cape is done
    1YpBA
  • brojomaan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy man your awesome man. Love the design
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking about where we take this competition dealie in the coming months and I agree with the sentiments that it might not be the best idea to just stick with one hero each month. Perhaps instead of a single hero we could have more open "themes" like 'Assassins', 'Heroes with mounts', 'Heroes with pets/summons', 'Flying heroes', 'Heroes with 0 cosmetic items' etc.

That is not a bad idea at all. My vote is on heroes with no items :)
  • deadl3ss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YEAH getting there

rikishinobitest.jpg

ill post some vids later.. the animations look GREAT with them.. wasnt sure about the shape.. but colors are all wrong.. mask is imported with no textures or horns
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As cool as your Riki set is coming along deadless this thread is just for the Mirana comp.
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    had some hard time making the low poly model but some magic witch bunch of layers and alphas and it's done )
    1YN0Z
    1YO0R
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amazing improvement guys! =]
  • brojomaan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, can anyone help me with a issue im having.
    So i have made the high poly, made the low poly baked it, now i am trying to get my untextured mount into Dota 2 just to check it over.
    So i import the mount and textures no problems and in the viewport my lion is 5 times the size of the mirana model.

At first i went back into 3ds max and made sure it was the same size and the SMD at it is. i have also tried re scaling it myself but that seems pretty impossible
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good guys.
    Still thinking of entering this with just 1 or 2 items, but must find some time first.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyone you are absolutely killing it. Can't wait to see it all together.

Suppose I should post my current progress, it's been a while!
    4niMZEX.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brojomaan wrote: »
    Hey guys, can anyone help me with a issue im having.
    So i have made the high poly, made the low poly baked it, now i am trying to get my untextured mount into Dota 2 just to check it over.
    So i import the mount and textures no problems and in the viewport my lion is 5 times the size of the mirana model.

At first i went back into 3ds max and made sure it was the same size and the SMD at it is. i have also tried re scaling it myself but that seems pretty impossible

im not a max user but could be the problem with the scale between max and maya

when i import a file from max on maya it comes 100x bigger

you can try to decompile the model from the test client and compare both or check if the file you downloaded on the orkshop page is up to date

dont forget to reset the xforms before skinning your model
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Oh damm! This is looking good bronto, The concept you made looks great. The armour hasn't really xfered to your high poly blockout though. The lines look very masculine.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update on the courier

low poly with normal and wip difuse map

no more work this week, im going to celebrate that the wyrmeleon and the hellgazer ward entered the game, yay! =]

1ZtjK1ZtmW
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    update on the courier

low poly with normal and wip difuse map

no more work this week, im going to celebrate that the wyrmeleon and the hellgazer ward entered the game, yay! =]

1ZtjK1ZtmW

hahaha xD nice )

1ZvKq
    made a chest piece , and I have no idea how to make a lowpoly model out of it , polylimit is so fcking low, probably I'l leave only right shoulder for protection cause she uses left one to shoot out of the bow
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh damm! This is looking good bronto, The concept you made looks great. The armour hasn't really xfered to your high poly blockout though. The lines look very masculine.

Hmm, that's definitely something I hadn't considered; the way armour could convey masculinity/femininity. Were you referring to all of the armour (helm, shoulders, bracers, back) or just the shoulders/chest? Also, is it the hard edges and sharp points which imply masculinity?

I was trying to evoke more of a dragon-esque style of design which I don't think I really nailed with the concept but I'll definitely try again to emulate the concept more.

Thanks!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah man, the whole armour is looking pretty masculine, The skirt triangulates harshly with the acute angles which give her a very evil look, and doesn't accentute the soft round forms of the buttocks very well :)

The shoulders block the feminine curves of the cleavage, and break up too much the flesh negative space.
    The original concpet was nice in that the focus on the armour was at the shoulders, and it drew up to the chin with the cape. This one looks a bit lost and leads the eye to a dead spot.

Hope that helps.

Okay guys who are doing mounts.. I've gotten some feedback from valve on my mount that I think you guys would do well to take note of too:
    The isometric camera in dota creates a constraint that influences our art choices pretty strongly. In both the design and animation we take into account that 99% of the time these heroes are seen from the in-game camera. For example, hero’s head’s are often animated looking in a direction well above the horizon so that their faces are visible. That’s not to say that we always get it perfect, or occasional make a choice that contradicts that rule.

Mirana’s cat is an example of this. I’m personally unclear why the cat’s head is so downturned, but I think it’s something you should ignore. The fact that the Owlion has the owl element is such a great element of the design, but is currently completely hidden by the current geometry as shown below. Even zooming in, it’s not as apparent as it could be.

So if you can't see the face in game, you will need to rotate the head angle up a bit so that it is seen from the top.
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah man, the whole armour is looking pretty masculine, The skirt triangulates harshly with the acute angles which give her a very evil look, and doesn't accentute the soft round forms of the buttocks very well :)

The shoulders block the feminine curves of the cleavage, and break up too much the flesh negative space.
    The original concpet was nice in that the focus on the armour was at the shoulders, and it drew up to the chin with the cape. This one looks a bit lost and leads the eye to a dead spot.

Hope that helps.

Okay guys who are doing mounts.. I've gotten some feedback from valve on my mount that I think you guys would do well to take note of too:

So if you can't see the face in game, you will need to rotate the head angle up a bit so that it is seen from the top.

yup had some problems with that , default cat model head is turned upwards and idle animation changes it to almost 0 degree (why they done idk)
    20yHX
    finished shoulder
    20y71
  • Fanatik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some very nice work guys, keep it up :thumbup:
    Here is a quick update, since I won't have time this month for a full set I've decided to stick to my moth mount. I went ahead with a rough blockout and projected the concept on it just to see how it'll look like.
    MiranaMothMount_05.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my latest update based on Anuxi's feedback, it's much more indicative of my original concept.
    HbhLnL1.png
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betterrrrrr! :D hope you don't mind but this is what I would do... Push that silhouette more. So boring and round the head... maybe do something to break it up like dragon horns?

And the skirt is just a triangle, maybe break it up by making it scaly?
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for sharing. I'm currently working on the mount so i'll keep that in mind :)
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Fanatik, I *love* that moth - so unique yet fitting to the character!
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betterrrrrr! :D hope you don't mind but this is what I would do... Push that silhouette more. So boring and round the head... maybe do something to break it up like dragon horns?

And the skirt is just a triangle, maybe break it up by making it scaly?

Oh, wow - thank you for that. Creating items to make Lion even uglier comes naturally to me but I've got very little experience creating female characters.

My attempts at giving horns to her helmet made her look like a bunny rabbit but I like your subdued approach. The shoulders look a lot better, too. I know what you meant now about my armour breaking up too much of the negative space created by the flesh.

Thanks for giving me a fresh pair of eyes for this project, it's very much appreciated.
  • ACap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Great work guys. I won't comment because I am noob) I will just say good job, Keep it up.
    Ok, I am in. It will be weird set) Will try to add some evilness for Mirana.
    alien-mount-sculpt.jpg
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    I'm a bit of a 3-d noob, and I've never made an item for Dota before, but you think anyone would go for a goofy frog/salamander type mount like this?

gCE1YUr.jpg
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, that thing looks like it would work better as a courier instead of a mount.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Third time's the charm, haha.
    Still rough in areas but I'll just polish it up tomorrow.
    0Y0UIpe.png

And the bow/quiver which I forgot to post yesterday which also need a bit of polish love (as opposed to Polish love).
    OsXH0BU.pngqKb9MJe.png
  • Tahrinya
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    Sparr wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a 3-d noob, and I've never made an item for Dota before, but you think anyone would go for a goofy frog/salamander type mount like this?

maybe if it was some sorta overgrown variant of the tickled tegu?

keep in mind that she's an agility hero and her mount has a leaping spell so you probably wanna lean towards something more nimble looking, though.
  • Fanatik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started detailing the front of the mount
    MiranaMothMount_06.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fanatik wrote: »
    Started detailing the front of the mount
    MiranaMothMount_06.jpg

OMG, looking amazing!!!
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    congratz Anuxi, just saw your Mirana set got added to the store! beautiful work as always
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coots7 wrote: »
    congratz Anuxi, just saw your Mirana set got added to the store! beautiful work as always

anuxi is cheating on our final voting =]
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muhahahahahaha!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silly walk!!!

that is what happen when you animate with beer =]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6HDieGEapw"]Dota 2 Courier - Pengowl - Silly walk - YouTube[/ame]

edit - ingame image
    22ODn
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ROFL that walk! xD So cute!

is fin/arm shoulder joint seems to be a bit low? Or am I just seeing things?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ROFL that walk! xD So cute!

is fin/arm shoulder joint seems to be a bit low? Or am I just seeing things?

ty anuxi, you are right about that should, going to fix it =]

---
    ingame view

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po-T8K-Nkrs"]dota 2013 02 15 04 34 29 11 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damm thats so good!
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    started working on my mount mount1t.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja wrote: »
    started working on my mount mount1t.jpg

hey ninja, i think you could break more the sillhouette of the mount, the hair is totally round and maybe something different from that pointy helmet

and you need to hurry, we have just two weeks!
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    ty anuxi, you are right about that should, going to fix it =]

---
    ingame view

dota 2013 02 15 04 34 29 11 - YouTube
    looking nice )
    I'ce decided to remake the hair (and probably the back item too)
    23zgR