Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    How do you guys make your masks? Mask 1 is pretty easy, but I have a hard time with Mask 2. What's the usual workflow you guys go through to make them? Any base map(s) you would recommend to start them out?
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    belkun wrote: »
    How do you guys make your masks? Mask 1 is pretty easy, but I have a hard time with Mask 2. What's the usual workflow you guys go through to make them? Any base map(s) you would recommend to start them out?

Just copy and paste what Valve did, not in the exact sense. You know already that the masks has RGBA channels, AO is normally used in the Rimlights and then it's just the masked portions of the texture for the other channels.

Consult the Shader guidelines that Valve supplied.
  • Robobobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    vertical wrote: »
    Just copy and paste what Valve did, not in the exact sense. You know already that the masks has RGBA channels, AO is normally used in the Rimlights and then it's just the masked portions of the texture for the other channels.

Consult the Shader guidelines that Valve supplied.

I keep the guidelines open while doing them while also checking the original masks, but still, I kinda have a hard time with Specular stuff.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    robo - awesome freaking painting. i'm in love.

also: did they break the workshop with this last patch?
  • 7thBattery
    Robo - I absolutely love that.......except for the lens flare...
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    reverendK wrote: »
    robo - awesome freaking painting. i'm in love.

also: did they break the workshop with this last patch?

30zgC.jpg

I think so D:
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    They've banned at least one of the Kung-Fu Panda films over there - I'm unsure of the exact reasoning though.
    Chaemirix wrote: »
    Violence and death involing pandas is banned.

so if you play as a pandarian on world of warcraft you are immortal on china? =]

that law doesnt exists

----
    i had to format my computer and couldnt post it before

i finished that rework on the old gatuja and now its "el gato"
    reworked the highpoly, all the textures and some animations, remade the owl rig and made it smaller now

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=147113037

AoA8Gks.jpg
    1oGgAHo.jpg
    17LNt5Q.jpg
    U5HOKkh.jpg
    Uxxf2aw.jpg

and here is the final video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybtwzKsKKFU"]el Gato courier Beyond the Summit - SFM Full HD - YouTube[/ame]

going to have some beers today, got 3 couriers on the test client and 2 entered the main this week =]]]]
  • PoPcorn
    Is it possible to do a custom rig and animation on a summon? Or can you only use the rig provided?
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    I've been wanting to ask the opposite question, haha.

If you go to the importer (at least for a Warlock golem) it has slots for every type of animation so a custom rig/animation is totally possible... I'm curious as to how to import it with the default rig/animations though.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    Is it possible to do a custom rig and animation on a summon? Or can you only use the rig provided?
    I've been wanting to ask the opposite question, haha.

If you go to the importer (at least for a Warlock golem) it has slots for every type of animation so a custom rig/animation is totally possible... I'm curious as to how to import it with the default rig/animations though.
    You can do your own rig and animation, because importing the summons now is exactly as the the courier, with hitbones and animations.

Luckily i've asked Robin and he said that they want to implement a feature of using default rig and animations. But for now you'll have to decompile the summmon you want to change and use those animations if you don't want to waste time animating (note, some rigs are out of the bonelimit, so you'll have to delete some stuff, Lycan's default ult has 60 bones)
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Interesting, I figured I might have to do something along those lines.

Thanks, Vlad!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    those animations if you don't want to waste time animating (note, some rigs are out of the
    don't want to waste time animating
    waste time animating

That golem would look a billion times better with custom animations! I'd say take the time and do it! If you've never animated, there's no better time to learn then now! :thumbup:
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    those animations if you don't want to waste time animating (note, some rigs are out of the
    don't want to waste time animating
    waste time animating

That golem would look a billion times better with custom animations! I'd say take the time and do it! If you've never animated, there's no better time to learn then now! :thumbup:

What he said. Just over a week ago I'd never even attempted to animate!
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    So apparently the new Lycan ulti replacement crashes the game. From reddit:
    lycan hasn't been this game breaking since pre-nerf

New meta:
    Buy set, play lycan.
    Threaten to crash server if enemy team doesn't feed you kills.

"Mid or I ulti"

TL;DR: Vlad's devious plan to change the meta has come to fruition :P
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    TL;DR: Vlad's devious plan to change the meta has come to fruition :P
    And the wolves are not showing up, yo ucan equip them, but it changes nothing!
    Yeah, and patch timing couldn't be worse, so i guess fixes (and selfmades) will come next week.

I just hope those people won't be holding me responsible for this, it works (and looks) perfectly on the testmap.

EDIT: It looks like the bug that broke the loadout for everyone is affecting the test loadout too. Darn.
    26F7F7B9DF488C5D8ADC50B4C353759CBF60019D
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Hello everyone. Somehow I feel I am out of place considering that I never got any reply to my workshop thread. I am pretty new here and I would like to present my first work:

1syQIXR.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=147352412

Would appreciate some feedback for a fellow newcomer. I have lots of questions in my mind and sometimes there are things that never occur to me unless I get some helpful feedback. I plan to continue making items and have already started working on my second project which is based on a fellow concept artist that is also a member of this fine forums.

So there you have it. Also appreciate the vote if you like it.

I would also like to thank Lennyagony for his amazing guide.

EDIT: I used 3Dsmax and XoliulshaderUI to make the grey background images which somehow make the weapon look dull. Ingame, it has a very soft glow to it and falls inline with Juggs mask color.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vayne
    It's a very solid start, but I feel that's all that can be said about it. It's nice, it's clean and you definitely know what you're doing, it's just that the design is very simplistic and rigid in that it's 'just a sword', you know ?!

Uploaded a bunch of things (click to be taken to the submission):

1nLBUpM.jpg

268x268.resizedimage268x268.resizedimage
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome stuff Spudnik!
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    @Spudnik, coming from an artist like yourself, I consider that to be a great complement. I admit that I am lacking creatively to make higher level designs but by working with other concept artists, I hope that lacking part of me develops further.

Also, your latest work is fantastic.
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @Spudnik:

Finally =)

All the set pieces are very good looking, but I'm impressed how you've managed to do such a good job on the cape rigging, I almost killed myself while doing mine and it ended up not looking half as good.

Props to the art cover also, it made me think a thing or two about mine.

Thumbs up!

@Robo:

Please do post more about this Tusk set, it's looking awesome.

Also, agreed with 7thBattery about the lens flare, it would be better off without it.
  • JoelStransky
    Offline / Send Message
    JoelStransky polycounter lvl 4
    Having a hard time getting the Alien Swarm model viewer to open parts as sub-weapons without that sharding that happens. Is there any way to get the CS:GO SDK without buying the game?
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vayne
    Oh dear lord no, I suck at that too, that's why I beg at the feet of the awesome concept artist here to let me model their things ^^

@Rubus
    The cape was a pain in the ass for me, too T.T As for the banner art, I only provided the render, Gooba is responsible for the awesomeness that ensued :D
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    Having a hard time getting the Alien Swarm model viewer to open parts as sub-weapons without that sharding that happens. Is there any way to get the CS:GO SDK without buying the game?

You need the game to get the CS SDK, but you can use the Source Filmmaker one.
    It's the best right now after the update and you can even load the dota 2 materials :)

EDIT: The viewer is fixed

30YT5.jpg
  • JoelStransky
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I'm kinda (read: very) newbish to all this. What is the software stack I need to get to a model viewer via Source Filmmaker? ie. what do I need to download?
  • Mark.N
    Sorry I'm kinda (read: very) newbish to all this. What is the software stack I need to get to a model viewer via Source Filmmaker? ie. what do I need to download?

All you need are the following:

-Dota 2 (Dota 2 Test as well ideally)
    -SFM
    -CyborgMatt's Dota 2 SFM Tutorial

And then to actually create things:

-A modelling program (Blender is free, most people use 3d Studio Max or Maya)
    -An imaging program (GIMP is free, everyone uses Photoshop)
    -Skill and/or the patients and willingness to learn.
  • JoelStransky
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mark.N, I have a degree in game art, just wasn't clear on the viewer stack.
  • Robobobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    This is a concept for a new set, I'll try to make. I'm not sure about the colours for the head and shoulders though. And I'm not sure about the gold pattern either. If you have any advice or critique it would be awesome. Hope you like it!
    Lionconceptbrun_zps30eb4c5b.jpg
    Lionconceptlilla_zpsd7ff7c9a.jpg
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    About to submit this Meepo pickaxe:

MuYtIv4.png

Any crits before I do so?
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    My humble criticism: Scale needs to be relooked and stone part of the weapon feels a bit smooth and might require some roughing up.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    My humble criticism: Scale needs to be relooked and stone part of the weapon feels a bit smooth and might require some roughing up.

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it :D

If I scale it up, it looks too big, and if I scale it down, too small. It's already a bit smaller than the default shovel, IMO it looks perfect that size. About the stone part, you're talking about the head? I made it looking more like metal instead of stone, so it's kinda supposed to have that smooth feel.
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    belkun wrote: »
    Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it :D

If I scale it up, it looks too big, and if I scale it down, too small. It's already a bit smaller than the default shovel, IMO it looks perfect that size. About the stone part, you're talking about the head? I made it looking more like metal instead of stone, so it's kinda supposed to have that smooth feel.

It definitely needs a bit of wear and tear though, perfectly smooth surfaces are pretty uninteresting without something to break them up a bit. For something like this, you wouldn't expect it to be shiny and new so rough it up a bit!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Hudston wrote: »
    It definitely needs a bit of wear and tear though, perfectly smooth surfaces are pretty uninteresting without something to break them up a bit. For something like this, you wouldn't expect it to be shiny and new so rough it up a bit!

I was afraid of adding too much wear and tear, creating lots of noise when it's in game (like a lot of stuff that I did in the past), but I'll see if I can be smart while doing it, adding stuff that's noticeable enough so it doesn't become noise, and also not too big to screw it up.
    Probably going to do it tomorrow, 6 hours working stuff out today left me pretty tired lol :)

Also, if anyone wants to take a look and vote it's on the workshop! There are some better screenshots there.

268x268.resizedimage

Thanks for the help!
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Nearly died while rigging this bad boy
    3juCCVS.jpg
    116 tests, no joke
  • crazyone
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Nice set! I'm not really a fan of the promos though.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Jalcober wrote: »
    Nice set! I'm not really a fan of the promos though.

Yup. The main problem are the borders, they are huge and also conflicts with the items, you can't understand what it's showcasing. Making it thinner and a different color would definitely help.

Great set by the way!
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    @Vlad, I'm not really liking the blouse, mabe it would be cool if you used an alpha map and made it torn up a bit?

I started working on the Spirit breaker weapon again, finially managed to get it ingame. The textures are still wip.

YeWc6j6.jpg
  • OniLolz
  • mickross
    Hi Polycounters;

Honestly some absolutely amazing work going on in here, im just starting out learning the ropes :)

I created a bracer for Ursa, textured etc... skinned it to the Maya skeleton by clicking the bracer and the relevant wrist point in the Outliner and then 'Smooth skinned'.

But, when I export the bracer and joint; and then upload to Workshop it isn't attached to the wrist, and is teeny tiny in size.

I have a feeling something is constraining the object by boundaries far bigger then the object is, but im a bit lost and have no idea how to identify the issue let alone fix it.

Any ideas out there, or people who have come across this?

I followed the exact same method for a Doom sword which worked fine. Appreciate any help :)
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    @Andyk125
    That mace really needs a set to go with it ;)

@crazyone
    Nice work! Centaur needs some badass sets :D

@mihalceanu
    That portrait looks badass! Great work mihalceanu!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Cool helm Mihal! :D

Vlad, dude 116 tests? I would have said FUCK IT at 16.
    Did you extract the underlying mesh to create your shirt low? Copy the weights from the body to the shirt? I'm guessing you must have and still had clipping problems T__T
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool helm Mihal! :D

Vlad, dude 116 tests? I would have said FUCK IT at 16.
    Did you extract the underlying mesh to create your shirt low? Copy the weights from the body to the shirt? I'm guessing you must have and still had clipping problems T__T
    The underlying mesh was too highpoly for the polylimit and copying the weights just messed everything up. His rig is very tight and his posture doesn't help either. Not to say that you have to say in the polylimit AND keep some of the quills, those bastard eat up a lot of faces.

Fun times.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Spudnik wrote: »
    @Andyk125
    That mace really needs a set to go with it ;)

@crazyone
    Nice work! Centaur needs some badass sets :D

@mihalceanu
    That portrait looks badass! Great work mihalceanu!

Haha glad you like it, who knows maybe if DoubleLeaf would make a nice concept for a set :P
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys guys, is it normal that a competing item, same hero same category, could result in getting negative ratings on your item? I mean, I am getting a bashing in the last few hours and it coincides with a new item that was released a few hours ago. Or am I making up conspiracy theories? I have little hope that my item gets accepted but this behavior blurs the true feedback on my item. Any insights?

Note that both items are on the same page.
  • Don Don
    Slark set by Haikai and myself!

3F07A699EC2DCDBD1EE79CBE9CCC6B11C8B5A742
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @Vayne:

Workshop comments are often useless, ignore them if they don't give you any kind of feedback beyond 'this is awesome'/'you suck'.

Just focus in doing your best and you'll be fine.