Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Guys a little doubt I have: in game,when you press that button that change the camera angle and bring it close to a character to be able to see it better,when that's used weapon/items model switch from LOD1 to LOD0 or stays LOD1?
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    they switch to LOD0 :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks god,one less problem to worry about :):thumbup:
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Actually when I checked last time they is no LOD1 at all. I don't have checkbox to switch to it during the preview and also in game there is LOD0 that is displayed both in ingame view and showcase view.... strange. To check LOD1 I needed to load it as LOD0 ^^'
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    @Konras: I'm pretty sure there is a LOD1,since I imported a small cube on Spectre's feet as LOD1,and as a resoult I had my LOD0 in the preview and no weapon in hand during the game :)
  • MrJoneck
    If anybody may make this - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=288525839 , that pleas add me to friend list
  • MrJoneck
    If anyone is interested in making this, then email me
    847FE6255202838EE9081ECA72329035787272EC
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    So, who's dropping everything to make a Techies set?
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Konras wrote: »
    Actually when I checked last time they is no LOD1 at all. I don't have checkbox to switch to it during the preview and also in game there is LOD0 that is displayed both in ingame view and showcase view.... strange. To check LOD1 I needed to load it as LOD0 ^^'

click day/night/portrait preview, then go back to full body preview, then the button will appear :| this happened when I was making this.
    *There are many bugs like this in the workshop preview.
  • Gartean
    Hey guys,my first ever set for dota(or anything in fact,as i'm still learning and never did anything before!) gotta thanks the artists here for being an inspiration and the amazing tutorials.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=288866669
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    Gartean that is some phenomenal work!
  • Gartean
    Gartean that is some phenomenal work!

thanks very much,it was made entirely in maya,gimp and zbrush(xnormal for baking)
  • brianchenito
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    brianchenito

Love the simplicity but still really nice shapes. Has a TF2 feel to it!

I have a question for other workshoppers. How do you go about finding others to collaborate with? More specifically I'm looking to do the rigging and animations for wards or couriers but people seem to shy away from those because they require multiple skills or collaboration. I did check out some stickied threads here on polycount but they're heavily dominated by items, and seem more useful for concept artists.

If anyone is interested in collaborating I have a workshop thread.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Whats up with this "LiveWorkshop" twitch that has streams from TI4 Workshop.... really they put those videos on 'subscribe only' channel that is even not run by Valve at all?
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Konras wrote: »
    Whats up with this "LiveWorkshop" twitch that has streams from TI4 Workshop.... really they put those videos on 'subscribe only' channel that is even not run by Valve at all?

Yep! I am heavily bothered by that. I don't even think atleast the presenters are getting anything from this.

Either way, I was told by someone that they will release it for free on Youtube. Take that for a grain of salt until you see it actually happen.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    They repeatedly said that every workshop artist gets their respective presentation VOD and can do what ever he wants with it. So, I assume it just came in handy to have the liveworkshop twitch channel at hand since a couple of bigger artists present there every now and then.
    Calm down now. no one is going to build a paywall here. :)
  • Kraken
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Designing new courier for Magnataur:
    xClbIUb.png
  • bewsii
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    thats adorable!
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    @kraken Looks pretty good. But I think you should make the eyes a tiny bit bigger and rounder for that cute baby look. At the moment they look a little to realistic which isn't working well imo.
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Kraken: loooks cute as fu**

Hey guys , just finished submiting a courier for kdl : 9AE51B051642E36507858A9BB565A5EC567E2A26

workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=289235584
  • Linko
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    I have started a "Gold Digger" set for alchemist. His weapon allows him to dig to find gold and has a claw that he uses as pickaxe.
    He will have a bag to stock the tresors he found.

8faa85f3-5086-4e1e-9132-e7b9f1c0bfb0.jpg
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    awesome couriers, great work guys!
  • GreenShade
    Here is the first mesh of my divine bow:
    divine_bow-03.png
    Placeholder materials, I think the bow should have a wood-like shader/texture.
    I only need to find out how to make the twisted handle nicely in Blender. Anyone has a good idea?
    Also the limit for the weapon is 450 tris, this lod0 is 448 - it was tough to keep the contour but I did it!
    Now I have to reduce this to under 350 for the lod1...
  • hayes87
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    @Kraken thats really cute! just think the eyes are a bit too human for it
  • Kraken
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Thanks! @hayes87I'm working on it!
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Kraken wrote: »
    Designing new courier for Magnataur:

So fucking cute! I love your couriers sooo much!
  • Prosomogy
  • schnoodle
    Offline / Send Message
    schnoodle polycounter lvl 3
    So, I have incredibly small amount of knowledge in modeling and creating items in general, but i have just really enjoy what little experience I have so far in modeling. After about a year now of depression and getting help, I am able to motivate myself to start modeling and animating, etc.

As for my first little practice thing, i don't think ill submit to the workshop since I don't really expect it to turn out very amazing or anything, I have started a shadow demon set:
    2u2gtj2.png

and here's the ugly concept design, I am definitely not going to stick with those designs when I get to texturing. Also, not a very skilled artist as of yet.

7LsfXT6.png

As you can see, I'm messing around with what else I can put around the Shadow Demon's neck. The idea behind this set was something to do with Shadow Demon harvesting gems and shards of FoulFell as they have a source of power or something along those lines.

Of course I will have to reduce the tri count and stuff, but I think it would be easier for me to make everything as high poly as possible and then cut down maybe? I don't know much about any of this modeling process, so we'll see what happens as time goes on!!

EDIT: Oh, and I have a question about creating cape and skirt-looking items for characters. I have no idea how to go about that, and I have been looking (probably in all the wrong places, as per usual with me) and haven't really found anything that I can understand. Of course, I will keep looking around, but I guess if someone can help me and answer my questions that'd be great! (using blender)
  • Moffee
    Finish sword for Juggernaut. Rate plz :poly142:
    4AAC8DDC439F44DAE2597D68BDC11D691A2AC6A3
  • Xajai
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    ive submitted a ton of stuff to the workshop, but i got this message and ive never seen it before, any idea on how to fix it? 60wKu5V.jpg

all my files are the correct type, the correct dimensions, the correct channels blah blah blah.

Edit: ha! fixed.... there was an error in my textures... now i feel stupid... sigh...
  • foxclover
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Yep! I am heavily bothered by that. I don't even think atleast the presenters are getting anything from this.

Either way, I was told by someone that they will release it for free on Youtube. Take that for a grain of salt until you see it actually happen.

Honestly, it bothers me too. These presentations were put together by artists who are not affiliated with liveWorkshop for TI4. It doesn't feel right to let an outside distributor profit from their presentations and tutorials.
  • Xajai
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Latest item! this time is a hand for Lion!
    pJsFBwp.jpg
    6PT15uh.gif
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    very interessting design xajai.
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Finally completed this set. Big thanks to Andrey and Steffen from Airborn Studios!

yUp2XlL.jpg?1
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    foxclover wrote: »
    Honestly, it bothers me too. These presentations were put together by artists who are not affiliated with liveWorkshop for TI4. It doesn't feel right to let an outside distributor profit from their presentations and tutorials.

Preach.
  • Kraken
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    yUp2XlL.jpg?1[/URL]

texture looks really clean! like!
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    foxclover wrote: »
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    They repeatedly said that every workshop artist gets their respective presentation VOD and can do what ever he wants with it. So, I assume it just came in handy to have the liveworkshop twitch channel at hand since a couple of bigger artists present there every now and then.

nuff said.
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    i cant believe it myself but the set is finally finished :)
    7D4C1C2BACAE066D036C042D2484B90F173C63D3

200x200.resizedimage 200x200.resizedimage 200x200.resizedimage
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Where is the weapon?
  • foxclover
    Coyo.Te wrote: »

No other content from The International is blocked - If you missed a game, you could watch it whenever you got the chance to, and it was available from multiple twitch streams. With games going on at the same time as the workshop presentations, it's reasonable to expect people will be missing some and will be returning to watch it later.

The fact of the matter is, If liveworkshop requires a subscription, then it shouldn't be hosted on liveworkshop. It's nice that the artist gets a file of their own presentation vod, but for people searching for a "TI4 series" of them, locating the artists can be a hassle, especially when you can't remember the presenter's name.

Imagine you want to watch the cloud9 vs na'vi game at the main event, but you had to run errands, and you missed it. You try to look up a vod, and find that it's available instantly for a $5 fee (that doesn't go to valve or the players or the teams)... or you can wait until the international is over, and hope you can find a vod on na'vi's youtube channel. Now, what if you don't know the names of the teams, but your friend recommended the series and you decide you want to watch after all?

This is kind of an unideal setup. I hope valve sets up a separate workshop twitch channel next year, like dota2ti_workshop or something.
  • ChiZ
    I know this is somewhat unrelated to the ongoing discussion, but I have a pretty general question. I've been trying hard to make each part of my sets function on its own and with the hero's standard items. Trying to avoid clipping/strangeness when combined with the original items, that sort of thing.

Is that still something that is considered important? As more and more sets are becoming available, parts of them will slowly become less and less compatible with each other, and clipping between set items is eventually going to be pretty much unavoidable.

It seems like good form to at least try to work around the hero's original design, even though that can be somewhat restrictive at times, but I'm wondering what you guys think about that now and for the future.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Shameless crosspost to ask for some crits on this so far?

HkbBSof.jpg
  • Sumers
    Offline / Send Message
    Sumers polycounter lvl 10
    foxclover total support

it's like Valve gives huge promotion to your channel and in return you have only one job - provide access to video for people. and you failed. how unprofessional is this?
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    ChiZ wrote: »
    I know this is somewhat unrelated to the ongoing discussion, but I have a pretty general question. I've been trying hard to make each part of my sets function on its own and with the hero's standard items. Trying to avoid clipping/strangeness when combined with the original items, that sort of thing.

Is that still something that is considered important? As more and more sets are becoming available, parts of them will slowly become less and less compatible with each other, and clipping between set items is eventually going to be pretty much unavoidable.

It seems like good form to at least try to work around the hero's original design, even though that can be somewhat restrictive at times, but I'm wondering what you guys think about that now and for the future.

I don't think you should really worry about clipping anymore. There is a rubic cloak that covers the head (hood) causing clipping with the default head. As well as 2 workshop items that are in game that covers Anti mage's head completely. (shoulder scarf and a blindfold)

My suggestion, just try to keep everything within the default boundaries.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    With this,I think I'm done texturing it
    Is still only normal + diffuse but for the specular I think I have to run some "experiments" ingame.
    Anyway,the last time I attempt with the specular overall it just looked worst,so I was wondering,some of you guys submit items without a spec? or is a bad idea? o_O

post-35445-0-18302700-1406061223.png
  • Xajai
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    ive tried a lot of spec modes, and what i can tell you, is play the spec exponent. i think its the alpha of mask2? or 1 i cant remember, but once you get that right, spec actually helps to sell the shape of your item a lot more than submitting without it.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    With this,I think I'm done texturing it
    Is still only normal + diffuse but for the specular I think I have to run some "experiments" ingame.
    Anyway,the last time I attempt with the specular overall it just looked worst,so I was wondering,some of you guys submit items without a spec? or is a bad idea? o_O

Its not really good to have "no" specular, but it would be completely valid to have a flat specular channel. You will want to play with the Red- Spec intensity, Blue-Tint spec by color, and Alpha- Specular exponent of mask 2 to find the best results.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for the info guys,tomorrow I'll try that!

Though a thing I've noticed is that this masks react differently ingame vs marmoset...maybe is just I'm using a preset not fit for this kind of preview (indoor fluorescent),but having to import inside the game everytime just for a preview is a huge waste of time...how do you go around this?
    I saw there is a shader for max too,with that I could have the same preview as the specular ingame??
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for the info guys,tomorrow I'll try that!

Though a thing I've noticed is that this masks react differently ingame vs marmoset...maybe is just I'm using a preset not fit for this kind of preview (indoor fluorescent),but having to import inside the game everytime just for a preview is a huge waste of time...how do you go around this?
    I saw there is a shader for max too,with that I could have the same preview as the specular ingame??

Once I'm onto my textures I just use dota2's hlmv. It gives a good idea how it will look in game, and I can quickly test textures this way.